REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: FAVORITE SKIFF OF THE 19TH CENTURY??? [Re: manbearpig] #2407116
10/12/15 04:19 AM
10/12/15 04:19 AM
world's largest oregon
Q
Q_Surf Offline
Duke status
Q_Surf  Offline
Duke status
Q

world's largest oregon
Originally Posted By: manbearpig
Originally Posted By: Q_Surf
Originally Posted By: manbearpig
Q is that yours?

unflippable, car-toppable sportspal canoe from meyer (og designed for duck hunting dogs to get in/out). i've modded it out since this redneck riviera pic with padded swivel buckets and dual anchors. had it for almost 15yrs and i've spent countless thousands of hrs fishing it in ocean/lake/streams. it's super versatile and stealthy.

Im kind of looking for something small to mess around on, originally looking at Gheenoes but kind of thinking thats more my ticket. Something simple and if i dont need to trailer it thats a huge plus. Thinking thatll be just fine on mellower days in LI Sound and the bays

the hull thing is formed out of a single sheet of aircraft aluminium.

sometimes fish it nearshore in the kelp, a few times coming back in semi-gnarly conditions. shorepound IS a problem haha. Paddles pretty good (but not as fast as a tippy canoe), and has a strong transom. i can scissor back in even when it's empty. been stocked on replacing the bench seats with these:

Nature's finest transportation
><((((>
Re: FAVORITE SKIFF OF THE 19TH CENTURY??? [Re: grapedrink] #2407212
10/12/15 04:02 PM
10/12/15 04:02 PM
West of the Atlantic. East of...
G
GromsDad Offline
Duke status
GromsDad  Offline
Duke status
G

West of the Atlantic. East of...
I've wanted a Hells Bay Whipray for years.

This is a bad day for the news media. Lets not kid ourselves, Toobin said on CNN. The larger message that a lot of people are going to take from this story is that the news media are a bunch of leftist liars who are dying to get the president, and theyre willing to lie to do it.
Re: FAVORITE SKIFF OF THE 19TH CENTURY??? [Re: Q_Surf] #2407301
10/12/15 07:46 PM
10/12/15 07:46 PM
in the bathroom
M
manbearpig Offline
Tom Curren status
manbearpig  Offline
Tom Curren status
M

in the bathroom
Originally Posted By: Q_Surf

the hull thing is formed out of a single sheet of aircraft aluminium.

sometimes fish it nearshore in the kelp, a few times coming back in semi-gnarly conditions. shorepound IS a problem haha. Paddles pretty good (but not as fast as a tippy canoe), and has a strong transom. i can scissor back in even when it's empty. been stocked on replacing the bench seats with these:

Can you comfortably stand on it without it being too tippy?

Re: FAVORITE SKIFF OF THE 19TH CENTURY??? [Re: grapedrink] #2407306
10/12/15 07:53 PM
10/12/15 07:53 PM
N
nimby Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
nimby  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
N

[img:center]https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipOWHnMQdcCoCR1b5JndjMmEnmC7RixPbbeVGa59[/img]

Old skiff I found parked next to a barn, spent the winter refreshing it with new epoxy bottom, new transom, installed hull stiffners and assorted upgrades, powered by 20 HP Tohatsu w/ELPT, will do about 20 mph with just me in it Purpose built for fly fishing, have put over a dozen large King Salmon in it in the past few weeks.

Last edited by nimby; 10/12/15 07:58 PM.
Re: FAVORITE SKIFF OF THE 19TH CENTURY??? [Re: BIGDADDY] #2407321
10/12/15 08:28 PM
10/12/15 08:28 PM
San Diego
D
DerDer Offline
Michael Peterson status
DerDer  Offline
Michael Peterson status
D

San Diego
Originally Posted By: BIGDADDY
Hobie power skiff
We have a blast on that boat - 50 hp Nissan on the back is a perfect match.
Fast - and never gets out of shape in waves, crossing wakes, etc.
Simple fun. Now owns another ready for rebuild

I want one so badly! Perfect skiff for reaching inaccessible surf breaks or fishing/diving the kelp. Easy to tow and really economical on fuel. I love the custom rebuilds by Anderson custom boats.

Re: FAVORITE SKIFF OF THE 19TH CENTURY??? [Re: GromsDad] #2407349
10/12/15 09:19 PM
10/12/15 09:19 PM
J
JBski Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
JBski  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
J

Originally Posted By: GromsDad

Nice bay boat.

Can we talk about fishing fashion, though? Are there that many fisherman worried about skin cancer that they all have to wear full face protection or is just that you have to wear one of those now to show that you're a serious, pro-wannabe fisherman? Maybe surfers should all start wearing them, too. Or at least SUPs should.

Re: FAVORITE SKIFF OF THE 19TH CENTURY??? [Re: DerDer] #2407358
10/12/15 09:40 PM
10/12/15 09:40 PM
Trona
K
keenfish Offline
Duke status
keenfish  Offline
Duke status
K

Trona
Originally Posted By: DerDer

I want one so badly! Perfect skiff for reaching inaccessible surf breaks or fishing/diving the kelp. Easy to tow and really economical on fuel. I love the custom rebuilds by Anderson custom boats.

Never even heard of that before. Those are bitchen!

\_(''/)_/

Kids! Throw them to the gorillas! ~Autoprax
Re: FAVORITE SKIFF OF THE 19TH CENTURY??? [Re: JBski] #2407379
10/12/15 10:44 PM
10/12/15 10:44 PM
in the bathroom
M
manbearpig Offline
Tom Curren status
manbearpig  Offline
Tom Curren status
M

in the bathroom
Originally Posted By: JBski
Originally Posted By: GromsDad

Nice bay boat.

Can we talk about fishing fashion, though? Are there that many fisherman worried about skin cancer that they all have to wear full face protection or is just that you have to wear one of those now to show that you're a serious, pro-wannabe fisherman? Maybe surfers should all start wearing them, too. Or at least SUPs should.

They are super lame but i am guilty of using one sometimes. When your job is outside all day and you fish and surf when your not working sun protection is pretty important. Also some spots i go to are so freaking buggy that repellant has no effect, a buff will offer a bit more relief. Used to do the old school red hanker chief but those things don't breath at all. Keep it simple i think mines blue or green or something; some have the lamest designs imaginable.

Guy in photo is probably a guide. Those guys are on the stand all day every day poling customers around spotting fish.

Last edited by manbearpig; 10/12/15 10:45 PM.
Re: FAVORITE SKIFF OF THE 19TH CENTURY??? [Re: grapedrink] #2407383
10/12/15 10:46 PM
10/12/15 10:46 PM
in the bathroom
M
manbearpig Offline
Tom Curren status
manbearpig  Offline
Tom Curren status
M

in the bathroom
Theres an awesome article in one of the most recent Drakes about the evolution of the river skiff and how it opened up the Deschutes River in the PNW. Within the last few months, worth a read

Re: FAVORITE SKIFF OF THE 19TH CENTURY??? [Re: grapedrink] #2407479
10/13/15 02:33 AM
10/13/15 02:33 AM
Gig Harbor
S
shiver_me_timbers Offline
Phil Edwards status
shiver_me_timbers  Offline
Phil Edwards status
S

Gig Harbor
favorite childhood/teenage skiff, a mainstay (pun!) of any sailing program in the 80s & 90s:

current desired skiff for PNW:

"Not what we have but what we enjoy, constitutes our abundance." - John Petit-Senn
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32