REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2404777 - 10/06/15 02:22 AM Game Changer: Curren and the Skip Frye Fish
hanger18 Offline
Nep status

Loc: Pacific Beach

#2404810 - 10/06/15 11:13 AM Re: Game Changer: Curren and the Skip Frye Fish [Re: hanger18]
laidback Offline
Kelly Slater status

Loc: NOC
Good story!

#2404814 - 10/06/15 11:25 AM Re: Game Changer: Curren and the Skip Frye Fish [Re: laidback]
patrolman Offline
Miki Dora status

Never gets old. bowdown

#2404816 - 10/06/15 11:26 AM Re: Game Changer: Curren and the Skip Frye Fish [Re: hanger18]
Colin Offline
Gerry Lopez status

Loc: east oahu
Didn't read the linked article yet but...I give Mr. Curren credit for awakening the masses from the spell of trying to ride the same narrow and thin and over rockered boards as Slaytor. You can argue that it was the ...Lost video but that video would not have happened without Tommy Boy shining the light on other ways of thinking. Im sure most of us here remember those dark days of super restrictive design. I love the anything goes era we are currently in. Thanks for that Tom.

#2404823 - 10/06/15 11:33 AM Re: Game Changer: Curren and the Skip Frye Fish [Re: hanger18]
Colin Offline
Gerry Lopez status

Loc: east oahu
Just back from the article. Didn't we read that same account here not long ago?

Oh and D. Hynd is the mad genius.

#2404843 - 10/06/15 12:35 PM Re: Game Changer: Curren and the Skip Frye Fish [Re: Colin]
hanger18 Offline
Nep status

Loc: Pacific Beach
Originally Posted By: Colin
Just back from the article. Didn't we read that same account here not long ago?

Oh and D. Hynd is the mad genius.

Yeah I touched on it in a Curren thread a while ago and decided to write it all down before I get old and forget details. Hynd is indeed a catalyst for so much surf history.

#2405010 - 10/06/15 05:38 PM Re: Game Changer: Curren and the Skip Frye Fish [Re: hanger18]
O.T. Offline
Duke status

Loc: sur
When I went to J-Bay in '95 and saw DH ride that board, I asked him if he ever did "The Bunkey". He had not heard that term before but knew exactly what I was talking about.
The Bunkey is/was Bunker Spreckles dropping in on a big (in my book) wave on your knees on a tiny Lis style fish kneelo style and dropping straight down into the trough and coming HARD off the bottom and rising to your feet as the little keeler rises up the face of the wave, heading for that magic top 1/3 of the wave where true fish love to park. You know that spot, that feeling of release, speed an control that really addicts you to to the craft from the first time you feel it. He proceded to "Bunky" all over the place the next day. Seeing him on that board (and a 30+ yr old, brown "under the porch" Diff gun) set me on the path to seek "Hipster Garbage" nirvana to this very day. And until the end of days.
Mix it up. Revisit the classic shapes/designs. Enjoy your session. Could be your last! cheers wave2

#2405015 - 10/06/15 05:53 PM Re: Game Changer: Curren and the Skip Frye Fish [Re: O.T.]
santacruzin Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: valley purgatory

#2405016 - 10/06/15 05:54 PM Re: Game Changer: Curren and the Skip Frye Fish [Re: hanger18]
santacruzin Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: valley purgatory

#2405017 - 10/06/15 05:55 PM Re: Game Changer: Curren and the Skip Frye Fish [Re: O.T.]
Greg Griffin Offline
Duke status

Loc: Palm Coast , Florida
It was the video I never saw of him ridding a Fireball fish that created the interest in the fish .

Orders flew in from Japan .

But not for the Fireball shape .

And the Fish was reborn .

#2405043 - 10/06/15 07:08 PM Re: Game Changer: Curren and the Skip Frye Fish [Re: Greg Griffin]
O.T. Offline
Duke status

Loc: sur
wrong. revisionist.

#2405047 - 10/06/15 07:11 PM Re: Game Changer: Curren and the Skip Frye Fish [Re: Greg Griffin]
Boneroni Offline
Tom Curren status

Loc: Goleta
Great story Hanger! That surfing from the search is still so relevant. I think I like it even more now (now, if I could just find those clips of huge North point and the long section of Mozanbique!)

Originally Posted By: HarryLopez
I guess the ocean is always ready to kill someone for free. laugh

#2405049 - 10/06/15 07:12 PM Re: Game Changer: Curren and the Skip Frye Fish [Re: O.T.]
Boneroni Offline
Tom Curren status

Loc: Goleta
Originally Posted By: O.T.
When I went to J-Bay in '95 and saw DH ride that board, I asked him if he ever did "The Bunkey". He had not heard that term before but knew exactly what I was talking about.
The Bunkey is/was Bunker Spreckles dropping in on a big (in my book) wave on your knees on a tiny Lis style fish kneelo style and dropping straight down into the trough and coming HARD off the bottom and rising to your feet as the little keeler rises up the face of the wave, heading for that magic top 1/3 of the wave where true fish love to park. You know that spot, that feeling of release, speed an control that really addicts you to to the craft from the first time you feel it. He proceded to "Bunky" all over the place the next day. Seeing him on that board (and a 30+ yr old, brown "under the porch" Diff gun) set me on the path to seek "Hipster Garbage" nirvana to this very day. And until the end of days.
Mix it up. Revisit the classic shapes/designs. Enjoy your session. Could be your last! cheers wave2

applause2 wave2

Originally Posted By: HarryLopez
I guess the ocean is always ready to kill someone for free. laugh

#2405093 - 10/06/15 09:08 PM Re: Game Changer: Curren and the Skip Frye Fish [Re: O.T.]
bsnyder Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: Oceanside Ca.

Mix it up. Revisit the classic shapes/designs. Enjoy your session. Could be your last!

Words to live by.

"Stay dusty my friend."

barrysnyderdesigns.com
@barrysnyderdesigns

#2405111 - 10/06/15 10:12 PM Re: Game Changer: Curren and the Skip Frye Fish [Re: hanger18]
000 Offline
Duke status

fireball

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32