REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2402842 - 09/30/15 09:57 AM New Thinking About Beginner Boards?
cahiga Offline
Grom

Ok, I've been bodyboarding prone for over 20 years and now I have a desire to stand up. Don't hate, I don't know what took so long.

So I'm prepared to start surfing with a longboard, but after telling shops my experience on a bodyboard every shop I visit tells me I can start off on a Lost Domesticated board specifically the The LazyBoy, the RV, and even the Puddle Jumper or Channel Islands Average Joe because liters with those boards has changed the thinking. Do you agree with this opinion?

I'm 5'9" 210 Lbs. (agile and athletic), volume calculators are giving me mid to low 40s in liters.

Some of the shops are all over the map though with boards from 5'9" to 6'4" height, liters ranging from high 30s to mid 40s. What would you suggest overall?

#2402848 - 09/30/15 10:19 AM Re: New Thinking About Beginner Boards? [Re: cahiga]
Pissbiscuit Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: 904
Originally Posted By: cahiga
Ok, I've been bodyboarding prone for over 20 years and now I have a desire to stand up. Don't hate, I don't know what took so long.

So I'm prepared to start surfing with a longboard, but after telling shops my experience on a bodyboard every shop I visit tells me I can start off on a Lost Domesticated board specifically the The LazyBoy, the RV, and even the Puddle Jumper or Channel Islands Average Joe because liters with those boards has changed the thinking. Do you agree with this opinion?

I'm 5'9" 210 Lbs. (agile and athletic), volume calculators are giving me mid to low 40s in liters.

Some of the shops are all over the map though with boards from 5'9" to 6'4" height, liters ranging from high 30s to mid 40s. What would you suggest overall?

You might be better off buying an older beat up wide/fat shape off craigslist, and then you don't have to worry about trashing it, baking it on days you bring sponge and stick, and you'll have first-hand knowledge of shape dimensions to go off of for plopping several hundred on something.

Little more info on the surfing you want to do? General purpose under head high and not dumping? Do you just want to cruise really small mushburgers? How lazy are you going to be about paddling like you want the wave, and how many times are you willing to beef takeoffs before you cruise a little?

How good are you prone? Nothing? Hand drag forwards? Bank revo, air revo, ARS, backflip on tube exit...what do you throw? Where are you on the Honey Boo Boo to Ryan Hardy scale?

I will say this. If you are going to get one of those big name shapes brand new, make it the lib tech puddle jumper, 5'11". It's only about $40 more than a "normal" poly construction, and you are going to dent_the_fckng_sht out of the deck of the board sorting out pop ups.

#2402849 - 09/30/15 10:21 AM Re: New Thinking About Beginner Boards? [Re: cahiga]
Autoprax Online   content
Duke status

Loc: Vagina Point
At this stage in the process board doesn't matter. Get something cheap that will float you and star putting in the time.

Most answer are hidden in work you need to do.

#2402850 - 09/30/15 10:29 AM Re: New Thinking About Beginner Boards? [Re: cahiga]
jackcheez Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

For a guy your size, who has never stood up before, I'd recommend an egg shape in the 6' 8" to 6' 10" range.

Look for about 2.75" thick too.

Edited by jackcheez (09/30/15 10:55 AM)

#2402858 - 09/30/15 10:43 AM Re: New Thinking About Beginner Boards? [Re: cahiga]
GDaddy Offline
Duke status

Loc: Carlsbad
^^^ All of the above are well informed comments.

The last place an older semi-novice should be taking board advice from is an under-25 surf shop employee. Their job is to sell you something out of their inventory, preferably from among the boards that have been sitting there the longest.

#2402879 - 09/30/15 11:44 AM Re: New Thinking About Beginner Boards? [Re: cahiga]
000 Offline
Duke status

dont get a brand new board. beginners thrash their boards and its a huge waste of $.
get like a 7' egg used.

#2402900 - 09/30/15 12:10 PM Re: New Thinking About Beginner Boards? [Re: cahiga]
rts265 Offline
Miki Dora status

5'7 x 22 x 2.875" fish type board. you're welcome.

#2402919 - 09/30/15 12:45 PM Re: New Thinking About Beginner Boards? [Re: GDaddy]
cahiga Offline
Grom

Absolutely, if it's in the shop their telling me it'll work. Yeah, I think I look for something used as some have suggested.

#2402921 - 09/30/15 12:49 PM Re: New Thinking About Beginner Boards? [Re: 000]
cahiga Offline
Grom

Originally Posted By: 000
dont get a brand new board. beginners thrash their boards and its a huge waste of $.
get like a 7' egg used.

Makes sense, several have suggested here an egg around this size. I'll go this route, thanks for the advice.

#2402946 - 09/30/15 01:35 PM Re: New Thinking About Beginner Boards? [Re: cahiga]
ifallalot Online   sick
Duke status

Loc: HB, CA

#2402959 - 09/30/15 01:56 PM Re: New Thinking About Beginner Boards? [Re: cahiga]
GDaddy Offline
Duke status

Loc: Carlsbad
The red one at the top (6-8 Gamino) is a little shorter and it's prolly all he needs. He's prolly already got good wave judgement and can paddle - he just needs a little margin for error as he transitions to stand up. Put in a couple months on that and then add in a shorter hybrid like a 6-0 Von Sol Shadow or one of the Domesticated series boards the shop rats were trying to sell him. Build the quiver.

Of course, if he's surfing fast breaking waves then he needs something more aggressive.

#2402960 - 09/30/15 02:05 PM Re: New Thinking About Beginner Boards? [Re: ifallalot]
cahiga Offline
Grom

#2402964 - 09/30/15 02:09 PM Re: New Thinking About Beginner Boards? [Re: ifallalot]
PPK96754 Offline
Michael Peterson status

Paipo boarding to prone boarding. Who would-a thought, with a lil drop knee in-between.

Get a board that will float your fat ass so you'll be able to Stand up and ride waves. Understand, the dynamics of the board Under your feet, weight transfer, turning, keeping the nose of the board up. The "pop-up" roflmao (whoTF coined THAT term) and getting to your feet quickly. Multi-phucking tasking your brain to do so many things Very quickly in the ever quick changing temperments of a wave.

Have patience, with yourself. If you've done something intentional or un-intentional and it felt Good, store that piece. Remember it, replay it, DO IT again. Surfing is repetitious, until you're given a fleeting moment to pull of a particular *move*. It has to be done quickly, precisely and completed fully. If done correctly ( and after you've put in your time) you'll be rewarded with a joy that doesn't come to often in surfing. Store, THAT feeling, remember, THAT feeling, because for the rest of your life, you'll be chasing THAT FEELING.

Good luck with your task at hand
PPK beer

#2402974 - 09/30/15 02:29 PM Re: New Thinking About Beginner Boards? [Re: PPK96754]
cahiga Offline
Grom

Originally Posted By: PPK96754
Paipo boarding to prone boarding. Who would-a thought, with a lil drop knee in-between.

Get a board that will float your fat ass so you'll be able to Stand up and ride waves. Understand, the dynamics of the board Under your feet, weight transfer, turning, keeping the nose of the board up. The "pop-up" roflmao (whoTF coined THAT term) and getting to your feet quickly. Multi-phucking tasking your brain to do so many things Very quickly in the ever quick changing temperments of a wave.

Have patience, with yourself. If you've done something intentional or un-intentional and it felt Good, store that piece. Remember it, replay it, DO IT again. Surfing is repetitious, until you're given a fleeting moment to pull of a particular *move*. It has to be done quickly, precisely and completed fully. If done correctly ( and after you've put in your time) you'll be rewarded with a joy that doesn't come to often in surfing. Store, THAT feeling, remember, THAT feeling, because for the rest of your life, you'll be chasing THAT FEELING.

Good luck with your task at hand
PPK beer

Yeah, I should've drop knee a long time ago. You summed it up, looking forward to it. As GDaddy was saying I have the skills down, wave judgement, paddling, down the line, it's going to be that "popup" and everything else after that.

#2402976 - 09/30/15 02:31 PM Re: New Thinking About Beginner Boards? [Re: cahiga]
mapache Offline
Phil Edwards status

Loc: subtropical jungles
i used to know a really good bodyboarder who would go and get tubed all day long. now he rides a surfboard and is 30 meters out on the shoulder

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32