REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 ... 13 14 >
View All Topics Index
#1969249 - 09/19/12 11:39 PM Roy Stuart Dragon 13-9 super surfboard emerges for its first sexy shots
Luddite Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: New Zealand

#1969250 - 09/19/12 11:44 PM Re: Roy Stuart Dragon 13-9 super surfboard emerges for its first sexy shots [Re: Luddite]
kellsmith Offline
Miki Dora status

how do u feel about how it turned out? And how long til we get footage??

ps I don't think thats it's best angle

Edited by kellsmith (09/19/12 11:45 PM)

#1969251 - 09/20/12 01:09 AM Re: Roy Stuart Dragon 13-9 super surfboard emerges for its first sexy shots [Re: kellsmith]
Luddite Offline
Miki Dora status

I'm very happy with the board, it's hard to get the shape photographed correctly in the shop as we have to get so close that the wide angle distorts things.The board has a great presence in the flesh though. More pics will be taken on a large marble floor tomorrow, weather permitting.

Footage soon, new wetsuits arrive tomorrow, and vehicle is road legal apart from $750 required for registration and road user charges ( which the govt. just raised 300% damn their eyes0

Here's a better angle:

#1969252 - 09/20/12 01:14 AM Re: Roy Stuart Dragon 13-9 super surfboard emerges for its first sexy shots [Re: Luddite]
Hootski Offline
Kelly Slater status

Loc: Alii Beach

#1969253 - 09/20/12 01:16 AM Re: Roy Stuart Dragon 13-9 super surfboard emerges for its first sexy shots [Re: Luddite]
Hootski Offline
Kelly Slater status

Im having trouble seeing the whole photo as they are large files...

...The Dragon board is pretty, that is for sure.

#1969254 - 09/20/12 01:17 AM Re: Roy Stuart Dragon 13-9 super surfboard emerges for its first sexy shots [Re: Luddite]
freeride76 Offline
Nep status

Loc: Lennox Head.
Nice work.
Looks a ton of glide in that ride.

#1969255 - 09/20/12 01:20 AM Re: Roy Stuart Dragon 13-9 super surfboard emerges for its first sexy shots [Re: Luddite]
Hootski Offline
Kelly Slater status

Quote:

I'm very happy with the board, it's hard to get the shape photographed correctly in the shop as we have to get so close that the wide angle distorts things.The board has a great presence in the flesh though. More pics will be taken on a large marble floor tomorrow, weather permitting.

Footage soon, new wetsuits arrive tomorrow, and vehicle is road legal apart from $750 required for registration and road user charges ( which the govt. just raised 300% damn their eyes0

Here's a better angle:

#1969256 - 09/20/12 06:16 AM Re: Roy Stuart Dragon 13-9 super surfboard emerges for its first sexy shots [Re: Hootski]
silentbutdeadly Offline
Duke status

Loc: Tower 13
Quote:

Quote:

Here's a better angle:

Gorgeous. What does the serrated edge do on the base of the fin. Does changing fin design have that much effect on a board that size?

#1969257 - 09/20/12 07:00 AM Re: Roy Stuart Dragon 13-9 super surfboard emerges for its first sexy shots [Re: silentbutdeadly]
PartyBoy Offline
Billy Hamilton status

Loc: under the keg
It appears to have a more forward fin placement than the Hawaii board. Looks super clean BTW, Roy.

#1969258 - 09/20/12 07:05 AM Re: Roy Stuart Dragon 13-9 super surfboard emerges for its first sexy shots [Re: Luddite]
ifallalot Offline
Duke status

Loc: HB, CA
work of art

#1969259 - 09/20/12 07:32 AM Re: Roy Stuart Dragon 13-9 super surfboard emerges for its first sexy shots [Re: Luddite]
DramaDairy Offline
Gerry Lopez status

Beautiful board.

Love your NSFW stuff, as well.

#1969260 - 09/20/12 09:37 PM Re: Roy Stuart Dragon 13-9 super surfboard emerges for its first sexy shots [Re: DramaDairy]
donniedarko Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: The Coast
The time put in and work is admirable...

#1969261 - 09/21/12 05:01 AM Re: Roy Stuart Dragon 13-9 super surfboard emerges for its first sexy shots [Re: ifallalot]
WarrenC Offline
Michael Peterson status

Quote:

work of art

+1
say what you will, that's beautiful
amazing amount of man hours and skill to produce
having come across Roy's blog, just the fin alone was a looooong process
I still want a ride report on your short(er) boards Sir.... that round nose fishy type thing I think you may have built for your son..? cant remember exactly, but its an interesting board as well

Roy, how long did it take to make this board in this post? always curious. 3-6 months? longer? less?

#1969262 - 09/21/12 05:43 PM Re: Roy Stuart Dragon 13-9 super surfboard emerges for its first sexy shots [Re: WarrenC]
obslop Offline
Phil Edwards status

Loc: san diego, CA
stunning. thank you for posting pictures of the board.

#1969263 - 09/22/12 06:58 PM Re: Roy Stuart Dragon 13-9 super surfboard emerges for its first sexy shots [Re: obslop]
Luddite Offline
Miki Dora status

Thanks very much gentlemen.

Silentbutdeadly the tubercules on the leading edge of the fin can increase efficiency by increasing lift, reducing drag and increasing the angle of attack capability. I liked them so much on the 10-6 Earl that I thought I might as well apply them to the Dragon. Although the big board doesn't often operate at high angles of attack on the fin, it does have moments when the fin is under a fair bit of pressure. So maybe it isn't necessary here but the feeling is so nice, the fin feels more powerful and accurate to me. Plus of course it is a visual feature ( I didn't really say that )
Also my idea is that by gaining in AOA capability via tubercules I can reduce the thickness of the fin without losing any AOA capability, while reducing form drag slightly. Likewise an increase in lift due to tubercules should enable a slightly smaller fin to be used without losing lift, while reducing wetted surface drag slightly ( or at least making up for the slight increase in wetted surface area which the tubercules entail. In other words if there's an efficiency gain it can be spent where we want it, and tailored just so.

Party Boy you are right, the fin is a few inches further forward, there's no reason for this apart from the whim of my eyeball when I installed it. I think I like it a tad further back but no doubt it will do the job where it is.The wide angle taken from the tail accentuates the slightly forward position, it looks more like it really is in the upper photo below.

Warren the board took around ten months to make, it's been a busy year and a tough winter so it was a bit slower than usual. Having said that the original made in the year 2000 took eight months, but that was in a wrecked bus with no electricity. The round nosed short board needs a new fin, which is coming up, you mean the one with a squaretail and tunnel or the twin fin?

By the way I was stoked to get a compliment from John Mellor on this one, he added that the Dragon reminded him of some Chumash Indian rock art he has been admiring in his archaeological travels.

Here's a look at the rocker:

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 ... 13 14 >