REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2375437 - 07/16/15 08:08 AM should I size a groveler volume the same as my HP/Hybrid?
gkatz Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Hi;
I am interested in a groveler (the HP end of the groveler spectrum such as a ...lost puddle jumper)
should I size is based on my go to HP/Hybrid volume? or should I increase the volume?
any thoughts or recommendations?
thanks.

#2375445 - 07/16/15 09:16 AM Re: should I size a groveler volume the same as my HP/Hybrid? [Re: gkatz]
jkb Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: Oceansuck
Everyone will have a different opinion on this, but I don't personally increase the volume on my grovelers when compared to my hpsb. More importantly, i think you should look for boards with more usable surface area. Wider nose, wider tail, and lower rocker.

#2375452 - 07/16/15 09:30 AM Re: should I size a groveler volume the same as my HP/Hybrid? [Re: gkatz]
joeyj Offline
Grom

I've gone over-volumed the for a while on my groveler, but now I'm starting to rethink it. I get hung hung up on the lip too often, especially at a steep beach break. I recently borrowed a groveler that was UNDER my regular volume, and found that it actually made catching some of the small steep ones easier?

#2375453 - 07/16/15 09:36 AM Re: should I size a groveler volume the same as my HP/Hybrid? [Re: gkatz]
retodd Offline
Duke status

Yes 2 to 4 liters under helps grovel much better , not to mention how much easier it is to catch waves .

#2375458 - 07/16/15 09:46 AM Re: should I size a groveler volume the same as my HP/Hybrid? [Re: gkatz]
ghostshaper Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: 1134
Depends on how the volume is distributed. Thin rail profile with thickness in the middle will be responsive but fast in small stuff.

I don't like wide thin grovelers. I think more volume helps in gliding into weak waves. If it's steep, i agree, don't need more volume. Groveling to me is small, weak stuff.

#2375473 - 07/16/15 10:40 AM Re: should I size a groveler volume the same as my HP/Hybrid? [Re: ghostshaper]
rowjimmytour Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: Rbeach
Originally Posted By: ghostshaper
Depends on how the volume is distributed. Thin rail profile with thickness in the middle will be responsive but fast in small stuff.

I don't like wide thin grovelers. I think more volume helps in gliding into weak waves. If it's steep, i agree, don't need more volume. Groveling to me is small, weak stuff.

I only have one and it worked right away and I have been riding short and stubby boards so I kept the same rails but added 3/4' width and concave deck and my board was already plenty short so I kept the height as well. I think it depends what you ride as a dd more then any thing else and show or tell your shaper and how small of a wave do you plan on riding and what performance do you expect on said wave wave2

#2375481 - 07/16/15 10:59 AM Re: should I size a groveler volume the same as my HP/Hybrid? [Re: retodd]
sd_101 Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: around san diego
Originally Posted By: retodd
2 to 4 liters

+1, or in other words, add 5%-10% volume depending on outline.

Also depends on how you define a HP-groveler, or even groveling for that matter.

#2375582 - 07/16/15 02:08 PM Re: should I size a groveler volume the same as my HP/Hybrid? [Re: gkatz]
obslop Offline
Phil Edwards status

Loc: san diego, CA
keep the volume the same or very close.

i've ridden 2-3 completely different boards in the last few months that are either exactly or within 2% of 27 liters (roberts dream catcher, super brand fling, and stretch skate). the fling grovels the hardest by miles with the dream catcher noticeably more grovel friendly than the skate.

as others have written, it's the differences in entry rocker, planing surface, and volume distribution (not overall volume) that give the grovel boards their grovel powers. and if you go too much over on volume you'll be bummed (especially on a more performance grovel board) as the rails will not properly engage into the water for turning.
Just a man and his will to survive

#2375587 - 07/16/15 02:20 PM Re: should I size a groveler volume the same as my HP/Hybrid? [Re: joeyj]
bird. Offline
Phil Edwards status

Loc: LA
Originally Posted By: joeyj
I've gone over-volumed the for a while on my groveler, but now I'm starting to rethink it. I get hung hung up on the lip too often, especially at a steep beach break. I recently borrowed a groveler that was UNDER my regular volume, and found that it actually made catching some of the small steep ones easier?

Why ride a groveler in steep waves though? Probably be better served on a stub shortboard in those conditions IMO. shrug

#2375765 - 07/16/15 10:33 PM Re: should I size a groveler volume the same as my HP/Hybrid? [Re: gkatz]
Track Offline
Grom

Talk about a variety of opinions! There are a lot of variables to consider for and each person's definition of a groveler is different.

My definition is a board for really small, junky conditions (1-2' gutless, windblown beachbreak) where I would normally pass and go get coffe...er, I mean go to the office. Also, I want the board to have tons of glide for clean conditions but low power spots so that I can complete with longboarders without the bittersweet feeling I get when I take out a longboard, ie: "I would be having so much more fun on a shorter board". So figure Old Man's or Swamis on a small-medium day.

In all of these cases, I go up in volume. My next groveler will be a 5'7" baked potato at 39.9l. I've ridden a buddy's and it squirts like a bar of soap with some large front fins and small trailers. The huge double concave allows it to go on rail and carve, but the massive width and volume make for stupid simple paddling and amazing speed on takeoff.

I see how guys like to go wide & thin and with the right shape, I think it can be done, esp. when the waves have some more power. But that's where I switch to a hybrid shape, so my approach is different there.

#2375842 - 07/17/15 04:38 AM Re: should I size a groveler volume the same as my HP/Hybrid? [Re: Track]
gkatz Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

@track, what is your normal volume compares to what youre gonna buy next?

#2375843 - 07/17/15 06:00 AM Re: should I size a groveler volume the same as my HP/Hybrid? [Re: gkatz]
toddo Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

i go up about 5-10% for a groveller that i still want to ride as a performance board in smaller waves. for a tiny wave board to skate around, glide or compete with long boarders i go up around 20%

the ones with a lot more volume paddle well on the flats but struggle to catch waves if its over 3ft, but i'd rarely be riding them in over 3ft anyway.

#2375969 - 07/17/15 02:16 PM Re: should I size a groveler volume the same as my HP/Hybrid? [Re: gkatz]
Track Offline
Grom

Originally Posted By: gkatz
@track, what is your normal volume compares to what youre gonna buy next?

My normal volumes range from 32-35l for hybrids and 28-30 for hpsb, so going to nearly 40l is a huge jump. I would ONLY consider this because I've ridden my friend's board several times and know that it works for me.
I'm finding I prefer my 5-11 Lost V2 rocket for most conditions. Love what Biolos does with those tail rockers!

Edited by Track (07/17/15 02:18 PM)