REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Best groveller ever [Re: Deepism] #2145107
01/06/14 01:51 PM
01/06/14 01:51 PM
CA
S
stu dog Offline
Duke status
stu dog  Offline
Duke status
S

CA
Rat Skull

Re: Best groveller ever [Re: stu dog] #2145108
01/07/14 03:44 PM
01/07/14 03:44 PM
C
cdes Offline
Nep status
cdes  Offline
Nep status
C

Mini Sim isnt really a groveler. I have a Joe B with Keels, and while I love the board, its best conditions are mushy reef days waist to chest. Soft K-38, for example. I have a log and enjoy the glide on occasion, but dammit I hate packing the thing up in the car. A good friend of mine notoriously said "Id rather drink beer than ride a longboard". Good for a laugh.

You got me thinking though. What conditions do you ride these grovelers in? I feel like the marketing guys want you to believe that you will be able to throw huge hacks on ankle high waves, but Ive found that when you get to a certain point waves are just not surfable.

Re: Best groveller ever [Re: cdes] #2145109
01/07/14 06:53 PM
01/07/14 06:53 PM
G
GroundeD Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
GroundeD  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
G

Im definatly guna catch wind on this comment, ahh but
A log isnt realy a grovelor either... All these boards are 6' and under, a log is an old caddie. Diff breed i feel. Serves the purpose of small waves but its on its own wave length...
From 360's on BF, to trimmin a 9 foot ark, not comparbal in my eyes.

Not that im pullin 360's but... Just another thought

Re: Best groveller ever [Re: cdes] #2145110
01/07/14 07:26 PM
01/07/14 07:26 PM
valley purgatory
S
santacruzin Offline
Miki Dora status
santacruzin  Offline
Miki Dora status
S

valley purgatory
Quote:

You got me thinking though. What conditions do you ride these grovelers in? I feel like the marketing guys want you to believe that you will be able to throw huge hacks on ankle high waves, but Ive found that when you get to a certain point waves are just not surfable.

I ride my 5'2 twinzered mini griff in knee high to shoulder high surf, could use it in larger waves but I have other weapons of rippage for that.

So long as I am surfing with waves running along a bank,point,reef with some sort of shape and pockets. They can be gutlesss as all hell and I can still do trim and do turns... true story.
Its not going o work in 1' closesouts but then again what will?

Your not doing huge carves but fun snappy little turns , cutbacks, floaters it makes mush fun to surf.

I like the gloves. They are needed in the aquatic deeds of perversion that he partakes in.
Re: Best groveller ever [Re: surfordie2] #2145111
01/07/14 09:26 PM
01/07/14 09:26 PM
Oceanside, CA, USA
G
GdBoyTyler Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
GdBoyTyler  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
G

Oceanside, CA, USA
From the poll list, I've only ridden a friend's 5'6" Lazy Boy in CH surf. I still prefered my old 5'8" Lost RNF which has about the same volume as the 5'6" Lazy Boy. I rode the two boards back-to-back, and my RNF was faster down-the-line and felt more solid on turns.

During the current So Cal flat spell, I've been riding my 5'4" Firewire Vanguard. That board gives me a Guild Factor of 0.42. When I rode the Vanguard with Elevon fins, it became my new favorite groveler.

In soft WH surf, the VG had enough volume to get into the waves easily, but I had trouble generating speed with conventional fins. I switched to the Elevons, all of a sudden I had enough speed for cutbacks and off-the-lips.

Re: Best groveller ever [Re: GdBoyTyler] #2145112
01/07/14 09:56 PM
01/07/14 09:56 PM
Oceanside
D
Dudebro Offline
Nep status
Dudebro  Offline
Nep status
D

Oceanside
At my local beach the Von Sol Manta or one of the little Forstall boards for me are the best grovel boards I have. These being eps and having a wide tail makes surfing small waves fun because they are good at getting into waves and generating speed once up and riding. Can still actually surf the wave instead of standing there. No longboard required. The one caveat to this would be if it is crowded while everyone is on a longboard and knows how to use one. Thankfully 95% of the people who ride them do not know how to actually use one properly. If they all did you would be farked.

Have quite a few small wave boards but these are the top three. The Ace Squish, Mabile Ghostbuster and Source Scrambler can do the job as well just not as good as these.

Re: Best groveller ever [Re: Dudebro] #2145113
01/07/14 11:30 PM
01/07/14 11:30 PM
PNW
A
Aruka Offline
Miki Dora status
Aruka  Offline
Miki Dora status
A

PNW
Damn, you O-side boys take your groveling seriously.^^

I'm just jealous I don't have a real grovel board in the quiver yet. Everyone's sh1tting themselves over the manta but I'm having trouble getting over the looks.

Re: Best groveller ever [Re: surfordie2] #2145792
01/08/14 04:35 PM
01/08/14 04:35 PM
Flat FL
V
Victimclothing Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
Victimclothing  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
V

Flat FL
I have have a FW Sweet Potato 5'2 and it rode to much like a fishy cruiser. I have a FW Baked Potato 5'3and its little more snappy and better performance, more fun.

I also have a Lost Bottom Feeder and like it the best because it catches waves just as easy but I can surf it more like a thruster in weak mushy 1-3ft and throw it around easier.

"Friends don't Let Friends Ride Blank Boards" www.VictimBoardArt.com
Re: Best groveller ever [Re: Aruka] #2145875
01/08/14 05:45 PM
01/08/14 05:45 PM
Long Beach, NY
A
adam33 Offline
Billy Hamilton status
adam33  Offline
Billy Hamilton status
A

Long Beach, NY
Aruka, the Manta surfs nothing like it looks IMO. I was taken back by how wide the tail was, but after the first surf, I was blown away by how loose and how easily and well it turns. The fin positioning, rocker etc all a perfect blend. Will always have one in my quiver.

"pm oceanslide or adam69, they are the erBB distributors."
Re: Best groveller ever [Re: Aruka] #2145973
01/08/14 08:59 PM
01/08/14 08:59 PM
Oceanside, CA
O
Oceanslide Offline
Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oceanslide  Offline
Rabbitt Bartholomew status
O

Oceanside, CA
Originally Posted By: Aruka
Damn, you O-side boys take your groveling seriously.^^

I'm just jealous I don't have a real grovel board in the quiver yet. Everyone's sh1tting themselves over the manta but I'm having trouble getting over the looks.

I did not like the looks of the Manta at all when Sean first posted the original one
on Insta/Facebook. Then I saw him surf it in small, crap waves and changed my mind.
My favorite board, without a doubt. Doesn't surf like it looks at all.

"Surfing reminds us of how good life is."
Oceansliding
Re: Best groveller ever [Re: Dudebro] #2146686
01/10/14 01:54 AM
01/10/14 01:54 AM
Near the Witches
B
Basswave Offline
Michael Peterson status
Basswave  Offline
Michael Peterson status
B

Near the Witches
Originally Posted By: Dudebro
At my local beach the Von Sol Manta or one of the little Forstall boards for me are the best grovel boards I have. These being eps and having a wide tail makes surfing small waves fun because they are good at getting into waves and generating speed once up and riding. Can still actually surf the wave instead of standing there. No longboard required. The one caveat to this would be if it is crowded while everyone is on a longboard and knows how to use one. Thankfully 95% of the people who ride them do not know how to actually use one properly. If they all did you would be farked.

Have quite a few small wave boards but these are the top three. The Ace Squish, Mabile Ghostbuster and Source Scrambler can do the job as well just not as good as these.

That is some functional equipment right there. Don't be afraid of McCoy like tails in tiny or week conditions...Its really fun.

My vote is for the Dwart...You can even order them with wider tails in EPS if your prepared for the width increase. They are already on average 16-16.25 They are foiled on the thicker side and but have a natural flow to them...

I'm drinking the Rusty koolaid...He shapes work.

I'm back...Sort of...

Its nothing that 6' and a Rounded pin can't fix.
Re: Best groveller ever [Re: surfordie2] #2368903
06/26/15 05:21 AM
06/26/15 05:21 AM
W
winwin Offline
Michael Peterson status
winwin  Offline
Michael Peterson status
W

Is the VS manta still the most hp groveller? Anything else? (Looking for an ultra small wave board at the moment)

Re: Best groveller ever [Re: ] #2368916
06/26/15 05:57 AM
06/26/15 05:57 AM
W
winwin Offline
Michael Peterson status
winwin  Offline
Michael Peterson status
W

Originally Posted By: nexttozen
Originally Posted By: winwin
Is the VS manta still the most hp groveller? Anything else? (Looking for an ultra small wave board at the moment)

super fling is another great one!

I might have to give one of those a go. You like as a TRI or quad? More back footed (like a white diamond) or neutral?

Re: Best groveller ever [Re: surfordie2] #2368956
06/26/15 10:04 AM
06/26/15 10:04 AM
N
nightfly Offline
Michael Peterson status
nightfly  Offline
Michael Peterson status
N

Since I've had my Bottom Feeder, I ride it 90% of the time in anything from knee high up to chest high (if it's mushy).

It's a super flexible design. Unless it's clearly firing, I can grab it with confidence. I would like to try the Puddle Jumper and the Fling to see if I can get a little more performance but really the Bottom Feeder kills it for me and either of those would probably be 10% more performance at the margins.

I break out the 9'4 when you look at it and can just tell it doesn't have enough push. It's not a size issue as much as a power issue. We get both short period wind swell and weak, far away generated ground swell. Sometimes the small, locally produced wind swell packs more punch so it's great for the Bottom Feeder while the trace groundswell which is more lined up but weaker calls for the longboard. At some point nothing beats the glide of a heavier board but you need a little space to turn it so in peaky beach break, that tends to be the weaker, longer period swell.

The last few weeks it's been 1-3 almost everyday with slight variations of tide, wind and swell and I've been riding both boards depending on conditions. I'd say the Bottom Feeder gets the nod about 70% of the time.

People joke about the east coast being smaller and weaker than the west coast but having lived in both southern California and the northeast for significant periods of time, I don't think that's quite right. We have a lot more small days that are juicier than the equivalent size in CA so something like a bottom feeder is the call. Also in beach break the tide is a big factor and there a lots of days where the shifting tides make for some surprising little bowls that the BF handles well.

Toward the end of my run in CA I started longboarding a lot because there were lots of waist high + days that were nicely lined up but really pretty weak and the longboard worked great. However this was before the "groveler revolution" so not sure what I'd ride now. Still think a longboard would be a better choice but wish I had a bottom feeder stashed out there for my periodic visits...

Last edited by nightfly; 06/26/15 10:06 AM.
Re: Best groveller ever [Re: surfordie2] #2369408
06/27/15 02:45 PM
06/27/15 02:45 PM
West of the Atlantic. East of...
G
GromsDad Online content
Duke status
GromsDad  Online Content
Duke status
G

West of the Atlantic. East of...
Something like the CI Dumpster Diver does it all. If its too weak to have fun on that its probably not worth paddling out anyway.

What's the difference between conservatives and liberals?

Conservatives get angry when you lie to them. Liberals get angry when you tell
them the truth.
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8