REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2296651 - 12/28/14 10:06 PM Local sunset cliffs surfer dies of a staph infection don't surf after rain
hillstmikey Offline
Gerry Lopez status

A local legend passed away due to a staph infection. Rip brother Barry. Here is an excerpt from the email I received:

unfortunately this holiday was interrupted with the tragic news of the passing of one of our long time members, fierce competitor in coalition contests and dear friend Barry Ault.
Barry's body was taken over by a highly aggressive form of staph and he succumbed to the infection yesterday morning at 8:35. Reports are that he and David L***** fell ill last Saturday night after surfing the lower cliffs. Dave is recovering but it was touch and go for him for awhile. Tragically Barry wasn't so fortunate.
We received a call from Joe Dia**** (SCSA junior) today and he explained that after surfing the lower cliffs on Saturday as well, he fell ill with flu type symptoms and also noticed a lump on his hip. He went to the doctor and the lump was lanced and cleaned. He is on heavy antibiotics and has been told it was some kind of bacteria.
Needless to say, if you have surfed the cliffs in the last week or so and you are not feeling well to go to your doctor and get checked out. We are not doctors and don't men to raise a red flag. We just want the club to know the situation and spread the word.

#2296671 - 12/28/14 10:24 PM Re: Local sunset cliffs surfer dies of a staph infection don't surf after rain [Re: hillstmikey]
Steak Offline
Duke status

Loc: NorCenCal
RIP.

You never know when it will be your time.

But why try to increase the odds?

#2296678 - 12/28/14 10:43 PM Re: Local sunset cliffs surfer dies of a staph infection don't surf after rain [Re: Steak]
Steak Offline
Duke status

Loc: NorCenCal
About eight years back I had close to the same thing. Surfing mid winter in the
rain and I started getting a lump on the back of my right leg. It swelled up like
a hardball.

Had to go into the ER and have it lanced. It was like a pus volcano. It blew out
across people, soaked towels.

They squeezed the fvcking hell out of that thing. drowning

Then on to the heavy Bactrin/Flagicyl antiobiotics.

Basically these things will either kill the bacteria or they will kill you.

#2296679 - 12/28/14 10:44 PM Re: Local sunset cliffs surfer dies of a staph infection don't surf after rain [Re: hillstmikey]
shiver_me_timbers Offline
Phil Edwards status

Loc: Gig Harbor
RIP brother.

#2296686 - 12/28/14 10:59 PM Re: Local sunset cliffs surfer dies of a staph infection don't surf after rain [Re: hillstmikey]
hillstmikey Offline
Gerry Lopez status

I've had several severe staph infections in my surfing life. The last one was like 2 months ago. Severe fever then off to the ER with my leg all crappy looking. I also had the puss volcano on the previous infection. This shit ain't no joke! I had a good chance that my leg would have to be amputated. Never imagined it could kill me though. A friend of mine said it best, "if you couldn't golf for 3 days after a rain this problem would have been solved 20 years ago!"

#2296688 - 12/28/14 11:00 PM Re: Local sunset cliffs surfer dies of a staph infection don't surf after rain [Re: hillstmikey]
GoodOlBoy Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Loc: HerdO'Cats, USA
Shawn Stiles was talking about him last night on Channel 8. RIP

#2296702 - 12/28/14 11:33 PM Re: Local sunset cliffs surfer dies of a staph infection don't surf after rain [Re: hillstmikey]
bigtuna Offline
Billy Hamilton status

Loc: NE
Thats terrible, thanks for spreading the word and educating people like myself. I surfed there last week, no sickness luckily.

RIP

"the worst..
I have a full blown gym routine now
talk about f'in lame." - WarrenC

#2296704 - 12/28/14 11:41 PM Re: Local sunset cliffs surfer dies of a staph infection don't surf after rain [Re: hillstmikey]
GDaddy Offline
Duke status

Loc: Carlsbad
Sux.

RIP, condolences to the family.

#2296744 - 12/29/14 01:25 AM Re: Local sunset cliffs surfer dies of a staph infection don't surf after rain [Re: hillstmikey]
J_D_J Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: The OC
Terrible news. RIP. We've all rolled the dice plenty of times.

#2296772 - 12/29/14 04:14 AM Re: Local sunset cliffs surfer dies of a staph infection don't surf after rain [Re: hillstmikey]
hgsouth Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Damn that is crazy. RIP. Was this right after that huge rain two weeks ago?

#2296776 - 12/29/14 06:02 AM Re: Local sunset cliffs surfer dies of a staph infection don't surf after rain [Re: J_D_J]
test_article Offline
Phil Edwards status

Loc: Body of Christ, Texas
Misuse of anti-microbials goes on. I expect involuntary thinning of SoCal surf ranks to accelerate over time.

#2296777 - 12/29/14 06:21 AM Re: Local sunset cliffs surfer dies of a staph infection don't surf after rain [Re: hillstmikey]
jimbo2 Offline
Grom

Loc: OC
Wow, staph is no joke, RIP

#2296807 - 12/29/14 10:33 AM Re: Local sunset cliffs surfer dies of a staph infection don't surf after rain [Re: jimbo2]
walrus Offline
Billy Hamilton status

Loc: NJ
Staph infection got into my knee after a trip to panama.....surfed near a storm drain after we returned. Knee blew up like a soccer ball.......doc said" I don't know what it is but we'll culture it....take this, this and this, I'll call you in 24 hours". 26 hours later I was on major anti bionics, itook three weeks to kill it all, mean while the cartilage in my knee was destoryed......I am now the proud owner of a totally new knee made of metal and plastic! Rehab was really not fun........I never surf right after rain or near Drains, EVER!

There was a story a few years ago about a surfer at Malibu who ended up with a heart transplant after bacterial infection that set up around his pericardium .....surfing after rain, by the lagoon opening....

#2296857 - 12/29/14 12:52 PM Re: Local sunset cliffs surfer dies of a staph infection don't surf after rain [Re: hillstmikey]
JEwing Offline
Tom Curren status

Loc: Carlsbad, California USA
Hearing the news that Barry Ault died on Christmas Day hit me like a punch in the gut. I remember the beautiful bronze US Surfing Championships trophy that Barry won at Huntington Beach that he kept by the fireplace in his beautiful home on Osprey Street . Later we would journey together to the north shore where he won another one. Make no mistake it was the polluted water that continues to flow un restricted on to the beaches of Ocean Beach from the San Diego River that killed Barry and has sickened countless others. I have made endless appeals to the City of San Diego to address this and even offered to pay someone to drive the bulldozer to stop this and I'm ignored and laughed at. When will we come to our senses and stop this?

#2296876 - 12/29/14 01:20 PM Re: Local sunset cliffs surfer dies of a staph infection don't surf after rain [Re: hillstmikey]
shiver_me_timbers Offline
Phil Edwards status

Loc: Gig Harbor
Joe - first, sorry for your loss. I only knew Barry's face down at the cliffs and its evident you knew him well.

Second, you & I have talked in person about this. If you divert the SD River into Mission Bay, you just pollute the hell out of the bay, and both jetties on the outgoing tides. It doesn't really fix anything. The more elaborate solution is to go upstream and track the pollution to its source, but that takes funding a few positions to study it, then likely suing to fix it. Over the years multiple people have attempted to build a coalition, but like many well intentioned things, momentum wanes before the ball can get rolling.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32