REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2291845 - 12/16/14 04:12 PM Roberts Dreamcatcher - Sizing Question
dcroxby Offline
Grom

I'm getting ready to order a Roberts Dreamcatcher and I'm undecided on sizing. Would be interested to hear from anyone who has one if you'd be willing to share your weight and height and what size you surf.

I'm 6'1" and 180 and will be using this board almost exclusively in Nicaragua. Wavering between 5'11" and 6'1". Thanks!

#2291850 - 12/16/14 04:22 PM Re: Roberts Dreamcatcher - Sizing Question [Re: dcroxby]
Coat Hanger Offline
Rabbitt Bartholomew status

Loc: THE TERRORIST OF TERRAMAR
If it were me I would lean towards the 5-11.

What do you ride now?

#2291852 - 12/16/14 04:33 PM Re: Roberts Dreamcatcher - Sizing Question [Re: dcroxby]
BFilk Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Loc: OC CA
6'4x215 lbs riding 6'2x21x2.75 DC

#2291906 - 12/16/14 06:31 PM Re: Roberts Dreamcatcher - Sizing Question [Re: dcroxby]
dcroxby Offline
Grom

Thanks for the replies. Part of my problem is that I am just getting back into surfing after a few years. Was in Nica a few weeks ago and rode quite a few different shapes. A 6'4" tri-fin at around 30liters felt sinky. I'm looking for a board that will catch waves like crazy without feeling like a log. Looking for that sweet spot. Spoke with Roberts and they suggested a 6'1" board with pinched rails and thinned a bit to about 33liters. Just worried that I'm going to wish I had gone for more float.

#2291914 - 12/16/14 06:43 PM Re: Roberts Dreamcatcher - Sizing Question [Re: dcroxby]
BFilk Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

You never regret more float, although the DC does pack foam for a board that works in OH surf. Get it in your normal volume. If youre not sure what that is have the guys at Roberts dial you. I got my DC in same volume as my Usual.

#2291922 - 12/16/14 07:10 PM Re: Roberts Dreamcatcher - Sizing Question [Re: dcroxby]
microphone Offline
Grom

I have a 6'3" x 20 1/8 x 2 5/8 eps/epoxy - right at 37 ltrs. I'm 46, 6'1" 195. Being older, i like the extra volume. The DC catches everything. doesn't seem to floaty. I also have a 6'2" stock WD2 (36.8 lts) Couldn't be happier with both.

#2291977 - 12/16/14 08:39 PM Re: Roberts Dreamcatcher - Sizing Question [Re: dcroxby]
obslop Offline
Phil Edwards status

Loc: san diego, CA
Keep in mind that this is already a beefy board. The stated dimensions on the board may cause you to question whether you'll have enough float but it's a foam-heavy board with a good amount of width through the nose.

I say go 5'11" and, if necessary, improve your surfing to match the board. It's a really good board and loves to be thrown around. It's made to be surfed short.
Just a man and his will to survive

#2291984 - 12/16/14 08:50 PM Re: Roberts Dreamcatcher - Sizing Question [Re: dcroxby]
nightfly Offline
Michael Peterson status

I'd be a bit careful about a chunky board with a wide nose in Nica. It's the one place with stiff off shores and steep drops that my lower volume shortboards actually works as it's supposed to.

#2291996 - 12/16/14 09:18 PM Re: Roberts Dreamcatcher - Sizing Question [Re: nightfly]
obslop Offline
Phil Edwards status

Loc: san diego, CA
Originally Posted By: nightfly
I'd be a bit careful about a chunky board with a wide nose in Nica. It's the one place with stiff off shores and steep drops that my lower volume shortboards actually works as it's supposed to.

i don't think that'll be an issue. it handles steep drops as well as a HPSB.
Just a man and his will to survive

#2292035 - 12/16/14 10:34 PM Re: Roberts Dreamcatcher - Sizing Question [Re: dcroxby]
girvin Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Loc: maui
I ride short chunky wider nosed hp alt boards in Nica and have never had a problem

I like surfy boards

#2292038 - 12/16/14 10:39 PM Re: Roberts Dreamcatcher - Sizing Question [Re: dcroxby]
manbearpig Offline
Tom Curren status

Loc: in the bathroom
Surfed my 5'5 dream catcher in solid nor easter surf last week, heavy offshore wind. Board b worked really good.

#2292056 - 12/16/14 11:14 PM Re: Roberts Dreamcatcher - Sizing Question [Re: manbearpig]
Oceanslide Offline
Rabbitt Bartholomew status

Loc: Oceanside, CA
From the reviews online on seeing one in person, seems they do pack a bit of
volume in shorter packages, so you can prob get away with shorter...although
they don't run really wide at the wide-point compared to lengths, imo.
I'd go for the one that has volume closer to what you're used to instead of just
basing it in length...and err on the side of slightly more instead of slightly
less if you have to choose. Imo
I want to try one.

#2292064 - 12/16/14 11:27 PM Re: Roberts Dreamcatcher - Sizing Question [Re: dcroxby]
Aruka Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: PNW
volume isn't the only factor as far as how well a board catches waves. that wide nose and low rocker helps the Dreamcatcher get into waves really well. my buddy has the 6-0 and I haven't ridden it but I've felt it up a bit and I've seen how well it works for him. they do pack the foam. lots of thickness up front and out into the rails.

if the 6-4 you rode was only 30L it was probably under 19 wide, 2.5 thick, etc. combine that with some ample rocker and you've got a pretty unforgiving board for someone just getting back into surfing.

6-1 stock dims might be a little too corky but you could always ask robert to shoot for more like 34-35L instead of 33L.

I don't think that's too much volume for someone your size but there are probably some who would disagree.

#2292252 - 12/17/14 09:19 AM Re: Roberts Dreamcatcher - Sizing Question [Re: ]
BFilk Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

desk jockey these days and trying to keep the weight down but holidays never help.

#2292259 - 12/17/14 09:32 AM Re: Roberts Dreamcatcher - Sizing Question [Re: dcroxby]
rts265 Online   content
Miki Dora status

I would look at the stock dims and get one size up if I were in your shoes. The dc has really amazed me. Thought it was for smaller waves but it has held up through some serious surf. Catches waves so easy. Handles steep drops no problem.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >