REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2171752 - 03/04/14 07:32 AM Tick bite won't heal
GromsDad Offline
Duke status

Loc: West of the Atlantic. East of...
Seven months ago I found a tiny tick stuck to my ankle. Removed the tick and didn't think much of it. The bite has never healed since. It gets better then flairs up into an incredibly itchy pimple like bump. I went to the doctor for it two months ago and he said the name for it but said it so fast that I didn't catch the name. He prescribed a corto-steroid cream for it and had me tested for lymes disease. The lymes test came up negative. The bump responded to the cream pretty well for the first week or two but now seems immune to it. The past couple days its been itching like crazy again. Ideas?
This is a bad day for the news media. Lets not kid ourselves, Toobin said on CNN. The larger message that a lot of people are going to take from this story is that the news media are a bunch of leftist liars who are dying to get the president, and theyre willing to lie to do it.

#2171828 - 03/04/14 11:45 AM Re: Tick bite won't heal [Re: GromsDad]
john4surf Offline
Phil Edwards status

Loc: CBS, CA
This may be an old wive's tale but, as a kid (in the 40s/50's) my parents/grand parents always used a hot match head (lit the match and then blew it out) to touch the attached tick to remove it. I remember them saying the tick will 'let go' when touched with a hot match stick. They believed that if you simply pull the tick away from the skin they thought the tick's head or, the part that was attached to the skin may remain attached to the surface or, below the surface of the bite.

If a part of the tick from the bite remained below the skin's surface, the Doc's may have medical options for you to explore. Good there is no Lymes involved. Good luck cheers

Edited by john4surf (03/04/14 11:49 AM)

#2171886 - 03/04/14 01:33 PM Re: Tick bite won't heal [Re: GromsDad]
FishFace Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: Del Mar, CA
yep. the ticks head is most likely still in your skin. you need to go back to the dr and get it cut out.

yes if you have a tick on you, burning it will cause it to release - match, cigarette, etc... you can also smother it with vaseline and it will release so it can get air.

Edited by FishFace (03/04/14 01:36 PM)

#2172572 - 03/05/14 06:07 PM Re: Tick bite won't heal [Re: GromsDad]
el_calvo Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: NE
I live at ground zero of the tick hot zone on the east coast. I run in my fields and during the summer and fall sometimes pick 15 or 20 ticks off of my socks and legs when I come in, so I have some experience with tick attachments. (Their favorite place to attach is in the crotch area. sick )

I have the same type of bump on my arm where I pulled off a tick last summer. I just scratch it when it itches. I do not have the ticks head still under my skin. Sometimes this just happens with insect bites. I am sure that there is a medical name for it, but I don't think you need to be concerned. It will go away eventually.

The whole thing about touching a hot match or cigarette to the tick to make it let go is no longer recommended. The current medical advice is to grab it with tweezers as close to the skin as you can and gently pull it off. What you do not want to do is grab the body and squeeze it, as this would tend to squirt tick guts into your body. eek They make tick removal devices that use a little cup with a v taper cut into it. They work great and I recommend you get one if you live in a tick infested area.

When I was a kid my parents tried all the removal recs, including putting a little gasoline on the tick which would supposedly make it let go. They tried it on a tick burrowed deep into my brother's head and it still wouldn't let go. They then tried the tip of a lit cigarette. While I don't remember if the tick let go, I have a vivid memory of my brother's hair bursting into flames and everyone running around screaming when the cigarette hit the gasoline. He was not hurt and this is a story that is repeated at virtually every family gathering.

#2172681 - 03/05/14 11:14 PM Re: Tick bite won't heal [Re: el_calvo]
SurfDoc Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: ex-pat Huntington Beach
I was a Boy Scout and got plenty of ticks in my day, too. No Lyme Disease and no Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever thanks goodness.

Nothing beats a good tick extraction with the proper type of tweezers. All the other techniques are sketchy.

Sounds like a chronic granuloma and a visit to the dermatologist might be wise. I've actually seen these become low grade skin cancers.

#2174540 - 03/10/14 07:26 PM Re: Tick bite won't heal [Re: SurfDoc]
el_calvo Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: NE
Thanks for the information Surf Doc.
That is a new one for me and I will have my granuloma looked at next time I visit the doctor.

I picked off the first tick of the season today from our dog. Even though it has been brutally cold until just a couple of days ago, they are already active again.

#2203917 - 05/19/14 02:17 PM Re: Tick bite won't heal [Re: GromsDad]
Mr Doof Offline
Duke status

Loc: San Francisco, CA
As a profession doctor on the internet laugh , I 2nd the tweezer suggestion. Or even the fingernail-flick (best when use while the critter is crawling on you).

Regard the other methods, never needed them...like to think putting vegetable oil on them would make them leave, but I have never witnessed it.

Lastly, I am a fan of (gently) scrubbing bite sites with regular old soap and water to keep 2ndary infection risk down.

Edited by Mr Doof (05/19/14 02:18 PM)

#2204358 - 05/20/14 01:45 PM Re: Tick bite won't heal [Re: GromsDad]
squidley Offline
Miki Dora status

Twice a day soak it in hot epson salt solution. Submerge it if possible. Otherwise use a wash rag.

Moderator:  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32