REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: herniated disc tips to get back faster in the water [Re: bergie] #2197540
05/02/14 06:05 PM
05/02/14 06:05 PM
Vagina Point
A
Autoprax Offline
Duke status
Autoprax  Offline
Duke status
A

Vagina Point
Ok, Dorko does manual therapy.

http://www.barrettdorko.com/shallow.htm

Simple Contact is an increasingly popular manual care technique that emphasizes the reflexive reaction of the body to gentle touch at specific sites. It begins with the premise that the body's own corrective processes are generally sufficient to produce enough mechanical force to reduce pain and normalize function. Since this process is unconsciously motivated, technique must support and encourage the patient's ongoing activity.

incompetence is preferable to malice.
Re: herniated disc tips to get back faster in the water [Re: bergie] #2197546
05/02/14 06:09 PM
05/02/14 06:09 PM
THE TERRORIST OF TERRAMAR
C
Coat Hanger Offline
Tom Curren status
Coat Hanger  Offline
Tom Curren status
C

Seems from Sarno's website, he treats pain, not the underlying cause. I understand that, but fail to see how "mind over matter" is going to work when you have three levels of disc herniation which is completely structural. A piece of disc impinging on a nerve will cause pain and there's nothing your brain is going to do about that. The only cure for that is for the material not to be in contact with the nerve.

Originally Posted By: StuAzole
The deference given to veterans is insane. They signed up, did their job and got paid for it. Fine.
Re: herniated disc tips to get back faster in the water [Re: Coat Hanger] #2197547
05/02/14 06:12 PM
05/02/14 06:12 PM
done
G
GWS Offline
Duke status
GWS  Offline
Duke status
G

done
Originally Posted By: VonMeister
Seems from Sarno's website, he treats pain, not the underlying cause. I understand that, but fail to see how "mind over matter" is going to work when you have three levels of disc herniation which is completely structural. A piece of disc impinging on a nerve will cause pain and there's nothing your brain is going to do about that. The only cure for that is for the material not to be in contact with the nerve.

And yet you have all these people with nerve damage/nerve impingement with no pain.

Things that make you go hmmmmmm...

Re: herniated disc tips to get back faster in the water [Re: GWS] #2197551
05/02/14 06:15 PM
05/02/14 06:15 PM
Vagina Point
A
Autoprax Offline
Duke status
Autoprax  Offline
Duke status
A

Vagina Point
Originally Posted By: GWS

And yet you have all these people with nerve damage/nerve impingement with no pain.

Yet . . . .

Give it time.

Re: herniated disc tips to get back faster in the water [Re: Coat Hanger] #2197553
05/02/14 06:16 PM
05/02/14 06:16 PM
CA
R
rice Offline
Duke status
rice  Offline
Duke status
R

CA

foreheadslap

Re: herniated disc tips to get back faster in the water [Re: rice] #2197558
05/02/14 06:19 PM
Lovetron
N
Norm' Offline
Duke status
Norm'  Offline
Duke status
N

Lovetron

"The Wright brothers decide to make themselves a flying machine. You fools! You idiots! Whats your problem? everyone shouted, That will never work because plywood weighs more than air! To which the Wright brothers responded, No, it doesnt. The Wright brothers were dreamers."
Re: herniated disc tips to get back faster in the water [Re: Norm'] #2197559
Trona
K
keenfish Offline
Duke status
keenfish  Offline
Duke status
K

Trona
Originally Posted By: Norm'
I know a paraplegic who read the book. Two weeks later he was the Salsa Dance Champion of Rio de Janeiro. He'd never even danced before his injury.

True story.

roflmao roflmao laughingpointing

\_(''/)_/

Kids! Throw them to the gorillas! ~Autoprax
Re: herniated disc tips to get back faster in the water [Re: Autoprax] #2197565
05/02/14 06:28 PM
05/02/14 06:28 PM
R
Random Guy Offline
Duke status
Random Guy  Offline
Duke status
R

Originally Posted By: Autoprax

Yet . . . .

Give it time.

maybe they only think they have no pain, when really, they have a ton of pain, but they just don't feel it
cowabunga
rg

Re: herniated disc tips to get back faster in the water [Re: bergie] #2197567
05/02/14 06:31 PM
05/02/14 06:31 PM
Vagina Point
A
Autoprax Offline
Duke status
Autoprax  Offline
Duke status
A

Vagina Point
Actually, you could be onto something there.

Re: herniated disc tips to get back faster in the water [Re: Coat Hanger] #2197571
05/02/14 06:40 PM
05/02/14 06:40 PM
E
ElOgro Offline
Duke status
ElOgro  Offline
Duke status
E

I agree with this with the exception of ...there's nothing your brain is going to do about that. My brain tells me to send out to the farmacia for some fentanyl.

"That's their respect for me... I got leid," Rabbit Kekai

"That's all it takes--one moment." Sponge
Re: herniated disc tips to get back faster in the water [Re: Autoprax] #2197574
05/02/14 06:42 PM
05/02/14 06:42 PM
done
G
GWS Offline
Duke status
GWS  Offline
Duke status
G

done
Originally Posted By: Autoprax

Yet . . . .

Give it time.

roflmao

I believe I got the book in '99.

I'll take that run thank you very much.

When you have lost control of your leg or your bladder, yeah, you need to do something serious.

The book is cheap. It's non-invasive. A pain sufferer has little to lose by trying it.

But, if you would rather wallow in your pain and embrace your limitations, have at it.

wave2

Re: herniated disc tips to get back faster in the water [Re: bergie] #2197582
05/02/14 06:50 PM
05/02/14 06:50 PM
Vagina Point
A
Autoprax Offline
Duke status
Autoprax  Offline
Duke status
A

Vagina Point
I read the book and it didn't do anything for me. But I never said don't read the book. Reading is good for you.

I read everything.

I controlled my pain with this book from my early 20s to my late forties before all hell broke lose.

http://www.amazon.com/Trigger-Point-Therapy-Workbook-Self-Treatment/dp/1572243759

Re: herniated disc tips to get back faster in the water [Re: Coat Hanger] #2197583
05/02/14 06:51 PM
05/02/14 06:51 PM
world's largest oregon
Q
Q_Surf Offline
Duke status
Q_Surf  Offline
Duke status
Q

world's largest oregon

for what you wrote to be pertinent - you'd have to believe the human spine is a complete fvckup of a design. this what western medicine has taught us, but interestingly i just don't see people in e. asia (for example) with back problems - even after they've sat on concrete making roundeye trinkets all day.

how do you explain the rising # of us on this thread and 5* e-reviewers who "miraculously" went from grimacing ogres to pain-free "READ THE DAMN BOOK" zealots? were we faking it?

due to fusings, degenerations, herniations, slippages, etc... my lower spine functions pretty much as 2 distinct sections with a flexible rubbery joint between them - which gives it some bizarre characteristics. i can now fold in half (can kiss my kneecaps and flathand the floor) and my lower half can pivot in relation to my upper like never before. it looks kind of gnarly to see the point of the 2 sections bulging out when folded, but it never hurts anymore.

Nature's finest transportation
><((((>
Re: herniated disc tips to get back faster in the water [Re: bergie] #2197586
05/02/14 06:55 PM
05/02/14 06:55 PM
C
Coat Hanger Offline
Tom Curren status
Coat Hanger  Offline
Tom Curren status
C

I Think we agree more than we disagree.....I believe that you can feel pain, (just like we feel hunger when we aren't hungry) from a number of causes that are treatable by the methods of this book. I haven't read it but I take GWS's word for it. I just think if you have a structural problem, with verifiable nerve impingement, you are going to, without a doubt, feel pain. This is how the body works. Once this structural issue is resolved, via reduced swelling, surgical intervention, or regular healing, the methods in this book would certainly apply as it is completely normal to feel phantom residual pain. In some cases, leg weakness, atrophy, bladder control, foot drop, etc, is many times caused by a permanent nerve injury. I feel the body can adapt to this injury and overcome it quite easily with the correct CNS and muscle stimulation which is only achieved physically.

Last edited by VonMeister; 05/02/14 06:57 PM.
Re: herniated disc tips to get back faster in the water [Re: Q_Surf] #2197592
05/02/14 07:07 PM
05/02/14 07:07 PM
E
ElOgro Offline
Duke status
ElOgro  Offline
Duke status
E

Originally Posted By: Q_Surf

for what you wrote to be pertinent - you'd have to believe the human spine is a complete fvckup of a design. this what western medicine has taught us, but interestingly i just don't see people in e. asia (for example) with back problems - even after they've sat on concrete making roundeye trinkets all day.

how do you explain the rising # of us on this thread and 5* e-reviewers who "miraculously" went from grimacing ogres to pain-free "READ THE DAMN BOOK" zealots? were we faking it?

due to fusings, degenerations, herniations, slippages, etc... my lower spine functions pretty much as 2 distinct sections with a flexible rubbery joint between them - which gives it some bizarre characteristics. i can now fold in half (can kiss my kneecaps and flathand the floor) and my lower half can pivot in relation to my upper like never before. it looks kind of gnarly to see the point of the 2 sections bulging out when folded, but it never hurts anymore.

I'm not grimacing but I'll read the book. Right after I finish "I'll sleep when I'm dead". Devils advocate and all.

"That's their respect for me... I got leid," Rabbit Kekai

"That's all it takes--one moment." Sponge
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32