REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
Page 20 of 21 < 1 2 ... 18 19 20 21 >
View All Topics Index
#2621940 - 03/30/17 05:39 PM Re: My back spasms are getting worse. [Re: galleon]
psykophant Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: Hawai'i
Fyi, no one is knocking technology, far from it.
We just need to be aware of the limitations and be sure it's appropriate.

Moving along...
I just bought this a couple of months ago.
The text portion is really, really well done.
It's very valuable even if one never uses the manual techniques within.
It has hundreds of references and doesn't try to fill peoples' heads with nonsense.
The evolutionary biology part is pretty funny too.
Highly recommended if this stuff interests you.
5 stars.
It should be a required textbook in all PT, MT etc schools.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1987985184/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

#2621978 - 03/30/17 07:06 PM Re: My back spasms are getting worse. [Re: the janitor]
Coat Hanger Offline
Rabbitt Bartholomew status

Loc: THE TERRORIST OF TERRAMAR
Originally Posted By: the janitor
if that was for me, she already got diagnosed with those a few years back, but she's going through some serious pain for the last few months. We both have a long history with this medical group, they are not super anxious to pull out the power tools and they are pretty good at figuring out how to get you back into whatever activity caused the initial injury without surgery. But I'm not sure what they'll suggest this time.

Also, squats/deadlifts might not be an option for her due to a previous leg injury shrug

http://startingstrength.com/article/barbell_training_as_rehab

I was told I wasn't ever going to walk without a limp again. I would never run again, or even ever walk a remarkable distance without needing to stop and rest. After the initial surgery I was told that before I could even start getting well I would need my meniscus repaired and more than likely I would need subtalar fusion within a year.

I trail run in the mountains on uneven surfaces 4-6 miles per day. During part of the year when I am training heavy my combined lift totals are north of 1000#.

You can only do what you can do. I decided that if I'm going to be in pain I could chose to be strong and in pain or weak and in pain. As I got stronger the pain went away.

Also I have some fairly substantial herniations from L3 through S1 with a sequestered fragment. When it flares up, which it will from time to time, I squat and deadlift. Depending on how I feel I will reduce weight and increase volume. 100% of the time I am pain free before I'm done with warm up sets.

#2621987 - 03/30/17 07:46 PM Re: My back spasms are getting worse. [Re: Coat Hanger]
the janitor Offline

Loc: north of the bridge
fair points, thanks. She's strong, but more gymnast/acrobat type than weightlifting type. I'll have to find a good weightlifting coach/trainer/whatever (ie someone that can teach good form) here once she's out of this phase to see if that would help long term.

#2622081 - 03/31/17 02:42 AM Re: My back spasms are getting worse. [Re: galleon]
psykophant Offline
Miki Dora status

Quote:
The probability of a spontaneous regression was:

96% for disc sequestrations.
70% for disc extrusions.
41% for focal protrusions.
13% for disc bulges.

What this means is that the higher the grade of disc herniation, the higher the rate of spontaneous regression.

www.themanualtherapist.com/2016/06/the-bigger-bulge-better.html

#2622129 - 03/31/17 10:10 AM Re: My back spasms are getting worse. [Re: galleon]
Autoprax Online   content
Duke status

Loc: Vagina Point
Everyone should be on the look out for numbness and atrophy.

Those are the red flags.

Thanks!

#2622130 - 03/31/17 10:12 AM Re: My back spasms are getting worse. [Re: psykophant]
Duke status

Originally Posted By: psykophant

I trip out on people who have the cards stacked against them and then overcome it.

Humans are very adaptable.

#2672031 - 08/11/17 12:49 PM Re: My back spasms are getting worse. [Re: galleon]
psykophant Offline
Miki Dora status

Huge news from the NIH:

Quote:
The National Institute for Health and Care Excellence has issued guidelines that state fusion for non-specific low back pain should only be performed as part of a randomised controlled trial, and that lumbar disc replacement should not be performed. Thus, spinal fusion and disc replacement will no longer be routine forms of treatment for patients with low back pain.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/28768775/

#2672036 - 08/11/17 12:54 PM Re: My back spasms are getting worse. [Re: psykophant]
ElOgro Offline
Duke status

Huge news from the NIH:

Quote:
The National Institute for Health and Care Excellence has issued guidelines that state fusion for non-specific low back pain should only be performed as part of a randomised controlled trial, and that lumbar disc replacement should not be performed. Thus, spinal fusion and disc replacement will no longer be routine forms of treatment for patients with low back pain.

I'm sticking with Codiene, Xanax, and mescal.

"That's all it takes--one moment." Sponge

#2672044 - 08/11/17 01:05 PM Re: My back spasms are getting worse. [Re: galleon]
psykophant Offline
Miki Dora status

I suspect you have the dosing worked out.

#2672052 - 08/11/17 01:27 PM Re: My back spasms are getting worse. [Re: psykophant]
the janitor Offline

Loc: north of the bridge
Huge news from the NIH:

Quote:

Wow, that is a really weird guideline, sounds like something you'd hear in North Korea.

This thing we've been doing for years for condition X, is really not advisable for condition X, so nobody with condition X should get it done. Unless you are part of our randomized trial batman

#2672076 - 08/11/17 02:19 PM Re: My back spasms are getting worse. [Re: galleon]
Duke status

Numbness, weakness or atrophy should not be endured.

But pain is not those things.

#2800844 - 05/30/18 03:13 AM Re: My back spasms are getting worse. [Re: galleon]
bigtuna Offline
Billy Hamilton status

Loc: NE
Have we discussed fascia yet?

This was a good read
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3242643/

And this
Certainly, the fascia plays a significant role in conveying mechanical tension, in order to control an inflammatory environment. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4173815/

Scientific research has proven that the fascial continuum is innervated by the autonomic sympathetic system.

Im buying hydrolyzed collagen tomorrow. My pain is still 98% gone from sarnos book plus 4-5 months of learning and psychological interventions, but there is still the ever present twinge that I want to figure out. It seems maybe my traumatic stress didnt create pain via some temporary mechanism like reduction in blood flow, but maybe it did so through more permanent mechanisms like increasing fascia tension, or inflammation, and maybe those physical aspects need to be addressed for a complete cure. Or more psych work needs to be done, who knows, I could be crazy still.

"the worst..
I have a full blown gym routine now
talk about f'in lame." - WarrenC

#2800950 - 05/30/18 12:02 PM Re: My back spasms are getting worse. [Re: bigtuna]
Coat Hanger Offline

Loc: THE TERRORIST OF TERRAMAR
Originally Posted By: bigtuna

This was a good read

And this
Certainly, the fascia plays a significant role in conveying mechanical tension, in order to control an inflammatory environment. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4173815/

Scientific research has proven that the fascial continuum is innervated by the autonomic sympathetic system.

Im buying hydrolyzed collagen tomorrow. My pain is still 98% gone from sarnos book plus 4-5 months of learning and psychological interventions, but there is still the ever present twinge that I want to figure out. It seems maybe my traumatic stress didnt create pain via some temporary mechanism like reduction in blood flow, but maybe it did so through more permanent mechanisms like increasing fascia tension, or inflammation, and maybe those physical aspects need to be addressed for a complete cure. Or more psych work needs to be done, who knows, I could be crazy still.

Have you considered asking your mom to start breast-feeding you again?

#2801200 - 05/30/18 05:19 PM Re: My back spasms are getting worse. [Re: Coat Hanger]
bigtuna Offline
Billy Hamilton status

Loc: NE
Originally Posted By: VonMeister
Originally Posted By: bigtuna

This was a good read

And this

Have you considered asking your mom to start breast-feeding you again?
you need help man. Theres a lot of avenues...take one before you waste the rest of your life as a bitter, miserable fool.

"the worst..
I have a full blown gym routine now
talk about f'in lame." - WarrenC

#2801219 - 05/30/18 05:42 PM Re: My back spasms are getting worse. [Re: galleon]
Goodfish Online   content
Gerry Lopez status

Loc: Pacific NW
I dunno if anyone has mentioned it yet, but...

Do you even yoga, bro?

Page 20 of 21 < 1 2 ... 18 19 20 21 >

Moderator:  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32