REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2167168 - 02/21/14 04:21 PM Why is it so hard to find a dentist who isn't a shyster???
drainer Offline
Gerry Lopez status

Loc: Lewdcadia
Employer changed dental policies a few years back. The dentist I had been seeing previously (and was very happy with) was not on the policy.

So over the past three years I've tried to see some of the dentists on the policy. So far everyone on the damn policy has been a shyster, used car salesman type. All I need is a basic cleaning, but they always refuse once I'm in the chair and try to upsell to a "deep cleaning," something that is not covered on my insurance (or most other insurance policies) and usually runs around $500. And they also tell me they have to pull my wisdom teeth, "Those things must be really bothering you!" I always tell them to f-off, snag the xrays and leave. One time I was walking out the door and they're insisting I purchase an electric toothbrush for $150.

socrazy

So it's always back to my old dentist and I pay a reasonable amount in cash, he laughs about the deep cleaning, as well as the need to pull my wisdom teeth. He has been seeing my family and friends for the past 15 or so years and has a good reputation among all of them.

So WTF is up with dentists these days? Is this all insurance related? I notice a lot of local dentists on my insurance use demandforce.com which appears to be a website that posts phony 5-star reviews. Makes trying to find a dentist even shadier.

Anyone else experience the same thing? I know I need dental insurance in case I need serious work done, but it sucks not being able to take advantage of it for basic care.

#2167170 - 02/21/14 04:29 PM Re: Why is it so hard to find a dentist who isn't a shyster??? [Re: drainer]
Autoprax Offline
Duke status

Loc: Vagina Point
I got in a full on argument with my last dentist. He's telling me I need all this work done.

I'm like, uh, I'll wait.

He got pissed.

I calmly bid him adieu.

I need a good dentist in n county.

I'm like Jane Austin with a bad foot.

#2167171 - 02/21/14 04:37 PM Re: Why is it so hard to find a dentist who isn't a shyster??? [Re: Autoprax]
drainer Offline
Gerry Lopez status

Basically how it goes for me as well. All the sudden I have all this crap wrong with my teeth and a bunch of cavities. Several thousand dollars worth of work.

#2167173 - 02/21/14 04:41 PM Re: Why is it so hard to find a dentist who isn't a shyster??? [Re: drainer]
mapache Offline
Phil Edwards status

Loc: subtropical jungles
they are all full of poop.

if you ever needed major work, just take a trip to mexico. 10-25% of what it will cost you in the states, and they CAN do just as good work (so long as they studied at UNAM), and most likely more honest as well.

#2167174 - 02/21/14 04:42 PM Re: Why is it so hard to find a dentist who isn't a shyster??? [Re: drainer]
bird. Offline
Phil Edwards status

Loc: LA
I'm glad I've got a dental PPO that I can use wherever I want. So many shitty dentists out there. I'd upgrade the policy if you can, mine was only a couple of bucks more per month than the HMO.

#2167176 - 02/21/14 04:43 PM Re: Why is it so hard to find a dentist who isn't a shyster??? [Re: mapache]
Autoprax Offline
Duke status

Loc: Vagina Point
I was thinking of doing this just for fun. Any one got any good TJ dentists?

I'm like Jane Austin with a bad foot.

#2167177 - 02/21/14 04:46 PM Re: Why is it so hard to find a dentist who isn't a shyster??? [Re: drainer]
Mooobs Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: The most crowded place on eart...
Like anything else, finding a great dentist isn't easy. I drive an hour each way into the hood for mine but he is not only cheap - he has been able to fix the f-ups that other dentists caused me with unecessary work.

The majority of everyone out there is out to take your money these days from plumbers to electricians to HVAC guys, roofers, car repair, whatever, you name it. This is the culture we've created for ourselves.

I have been having other health issues and saw two very high-profile doctors at UCLA and Cedars - neither one was worth their salt once they figured out I wasn't dying. Without the potential malpractice claim hanging over their heads they were just interested in bringing in for as many appointments as I could handle to run up the tab. Little if anything substantive was ever done.

#2167178 - 02/21/14 04:47 PM Re: Why is it so hard to find a dentist who isn't a shyster??? [Re: bird.]
drainer Offline
Gerry Lopez status

Originally Posted By: bird.
So many shitty dentists out there.

But why is that?

#2167179 - 02/21/14 04:53 PM Re: Why is it so hard to find a dentist who isn't a shyster??? [Re: drainer]
bird. Offline
Phil Edwards status

Originally Posted By: drainer
So many shitty dentists out there.

But why is that?

People see dental school as a get rich quick scheme? IDK.

I know some people who buy that "deep cleaning" BS hook line and sinker and think they're getting better care.

#2167182 - 02/21/14 04:56 PM Re: Why is it so hard to find a dentist who isn't a shyster??? [Re: drainer]
greysuit Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: My god..it's full of k00ks
The ones who come packed with employer health plans are the worst. They tried to sell me everything but the kitchen sink (maybe that was next). The last straw was when this dental scam..errr I mean office wanted $90/tooth to inject antiibiotic "treatment" deep in my gums. My previous provider was one of the be$t in town and never suggested I needed this treatment. I have plenty of dental crock stories but it's almost quittin' time.

dancing

#2167183 - 02/21/14 04:56 PM Re: Why is it so hard to find a dentist who isn't a shyster??? [Re: drainer]
stu dog Offline
Duke status

Loc: CA
1-800 Dentists is actually a good resource to find a dentist. Used it and found a pretty good dentist close to me.

#2167185 - 02/21/14 04:58 PM Re: Why is it so hard to find a dentist who isn't a shyster??? [Re: drainer]
wills120 Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Loc: Carlsbad, CA
Had one in Florida that told me that I had a serious problem with my teeth and wanted to meet us later to discuss. My wife and I come into the office around 5:30 and there were candles, soft music playing, hors d'oeuvres, etc. Wanted to replace all all my front teeth with implants to the tune of $45K.

Also told me that if I don't, all my teeth would likely be falling out in the next 5 years or so. That was 10 years ago. Bunch of liars and thieves these clowns are.

#2167186 - 02/21/14 04:58 PM Re: Why is it so hard to find a dentist who isn't a shyster??? [Re: drainer]
bird. Offline
Phil Edwards status

erBB can be a good resource too haha. I know a good one in Marina Del Rey if anybody's interested.

#2167190 - 02/21/14 05:00 PM Re: Why is it so hard to find a dentist who isn't a shyster??? [Re: bird.]
stu dog Offline
Duke status

Loc: CA
erBB can be a good resource too haha. I know a good one in Marina Del Rey if anybody's interested.

got a recommendation in Brentwood/Westwood too

#2167201 - 02/21/14 05:22 PM Re: Why is it so hard to find a dentist who isn't a shyster??? [Re: wills120]
casa_mugrienta Offline
Duke status

Loc: Kek Point
Originally Posted By: wills120

Also told me that if I don't, all my teeth would likely be falling out in the next 5 years or so. That was 10 years ago. Bunch of liars and thieves these clowns are.

My wife went through a similar experience. Idiot dentist told all her teeth were going to fall out and she needed to come back later in the day to talk about the work she would need to have done. It was her first experience with a dental scam, and she had many more over the next few months. Finally gave up and drove 90 miles for a cleaning by a dentist recommended by her sister.

You see a lot of so-called dentists advertising in the newspaper nowadays. They usually have coupons and stuff like that. A common trick they lure people in with is something like ***New Patient Special: $99 comprehensive exam and cleaning!***.
Then the patient arrives, they take xrays first, the dentist comes in and looks at the xrays and teeth. The dentist then tells the patient his/her teeth and gums are in bad shape and they need to make an appointment another day to come back for a deep clean. Then he walks them over to meet his scheduler, who uses high pressure sales tactics to sell them a bunch of crap they don't need. Even if the patient resists the sales tactics and decides not to return, the dentist still gets that $99 for services that were really never rendered in the first place.

"Lots of trigger points up the pooper.
If they are causing the problem, realeasing them will help
I tried to talk my PT into doing it." -Autoprax

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32