REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
How do you take surfboard measurements? #2148338
01/13/14 02:12 PM
01/13/14 02:12 PM
cold
T
trevorbc Offline OP
Michael Peterson status
trevorbc  Offline OP
Michael Peterson status
T

cold
Novice question here. I'm interested in taking some basic measurement. I'm mainly interested in length, width, nose width. Yes I understand that there are variable but if I wanted to take some basic measurements what are the standard instructions for measuring? Do you use a tailor's tape? For length I forgot if you measure tip to tail or stringer length. For basic width, if my shaper told me the board is 19 1/4 where do I measure? Widest point? What if it has hips I'm assuming hip to hip is the widest point no? That can't be the right place to measure... Do you measure on the bottom from rail to rail or should the tape conform to the curves of the deck or bottom? At what point in the nose do you measure nose width?

The purpose of this exercise for me is to dial in what real dimensions some of my favorite boards have had. I'm not looking to bust my shaper or complain that computer shapes should be more accurate etc. etc.

Re: How do you take surfboard measurements? [Re: trevorbc] #2148343
01/13/14 02:33 PM
01/13/14 02:33 PM
under the keg
P
PartyBoy Offline
Billy Hamilton status
PartyBoy  Offline
Billy Hamilton status
P

under the keg
I measure length on the bottom of the board with a tape measure from tip to tip. The bottom will show a longer length than a deck measurement. I think that's why Longboards are usually 9'1 is to meet the 9' contest limit...I could be wrong though.. A carpenter's square cam measure the wide point for you. 19 1/4 aint the hip unless you had Meyerhoffer shape it for you.

Re: How do you take surfboard measurements? [Re: trevorbc] #2148356
01/13/14 03:44 PM
01/13/14 03:44 PM
UK
P
prjwebb Offline
Michael Peterson status
prjwebb  Offline
Michael Peterson status
P

UK
Thickness is the one that surprises me. I read that Simon Anderson used to measure his from the dome of the deck to the bottom of the rail, but most others measure from the deck to the concave and Simon has since changed to stay consistent with the others when BASE was still going.
If you have a deep concave then your board is going to be thicker than you'd expect in that case. Simon's original method seems smarter to me.

Re: How do you take surfboard measurements? [Re: trevorbc] #2148362
01/13/14 04:01 PM
01/13/14 04:01 PM
R
retodd Offline
Duke status
retodd  Offline
Duke status
R

for a hpsb

deck measurement is easier , tip of the nose to the tip of the tail .

nose , 12 inches down from the tip. apex of the rail , one side to the other

same with tail

some might say its a good idea to also measure the bottom edge or where the roll begins . planing area vs. total width is always interesting to me

widest point , usually 1-3 inches behind the center of the board

with all these measurements a 24 inch carpenters square makes it easier and more accurate . assuming the stringer is straight roflmao

whatever you do ,,,,,, dont measure the fin placement missle

Re: How do you take surfboard measurements? [Re: retodd] #2148366
01/13/14 04:18 PM
01/13/14 04:18 PM
cold
T
trevorbc Offline OP
Michael Peterson status
trevorbc  Offline OP
Michael Peterson status
T

cold
Perfect Retodd, thanks.

On a related note, why do people think major surfboard brands stop at listing on their websites length, width, thickness, volume (some of them)? Don't want to confuse people, don't want people second guessing their measurements or it has to do with a keeping that info secret? If I recall a while back I emailed a major brand asking about the nose width of a certain model and they told me they couldn't give that info out. Seems strange when the product is on the market and anyone could just measure if they can get their hands on one.

Re: How do you take surfboard measurements? [Re: trevorbc] #2148372
01/13/14 04:40 PM
01/13/14 04:40 PM
R
retodd Offline
Duke status
retodd  Offline
Duke status
R

its just how you word your questions

how wide is the flyer "f" nose on stock 6-1 dims

or

i am riding a 6-1 ( insert a local shaper name here ) and it has an 11.75 inch nose , 19.25 WP, and 14.75 inch tail . i need to know what model of yours is closest . i like the look of the flyer f the most but am unsure of the nose and tail dims .

Re: How do you take surfboard measurements? [Re: retodd] #2148383
01/13/14 05:30 PM
01/13/14 05:30 PM
cold
T
trevorbc Offline OP
Michael Peterson status
trevorbc  Offline OP
Michael Peterson status
T

cold
I see what you are saying. Frame the question in a way where it looks like it is a purchase related question rather than I need the info to copy question. If I remember correctly I asked about the nose width of Jordy's T-Low or something like that. It could be because I used his name. At that time we were around the same weight and he seemed to be ridding a little bit bigger boards so I was using him as a bit of a guide.

Re: How do you take surfboard measurements? [Re: trevorbc] #2148391
01/13/14 05:45 PM
01/13/14 05:45 PM
Maine
J
jp30surf Offline
Billy Hamilton status
jp30surf  Offline
Billy Hamilton status
J

Maine
Trev I've got a tailors tape measure and Kirk's got calipers.

The dimensions you're after are pretty easy to get, now if you wanted center and rail line rocker numbers at every 6 inches then thats something else smile