REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Rib injury - worth going to see a doctor? How do I know when I'm healed? #2121620
11/07/13 01:01 PM
11/07/13 01:01 PM
santa cruz
A
averagejoe Offline OP
Miki Dora status
averagejoe  Offline OP
Miki Dora status
A

santa cruz
a few weeks ago on the big nw that hit up here, i blew it on a late drop and landed in the trough square on my left side. the bottom of my rib cage took the brunt of the fall. knocked the breath out of me and felt like i got hit with a baseball bat. no visible bruising or swelling.

i tried to surf the following weekend and following week and it hurt to lay on my board and paddle. this past weekend i felt almost back to normal, although i fell on my left side again and it hurt but the pain went away pretty quickly.

yesterday i blew another late drop (need to work on that or stop trying to take off so late) and landed on my left side. actually hurt way worse than the first time. thought i might pass out for a minute.

i thought i was healed up but now it feels like i re-injured myself. i've read online that they can't really do anything to fix rib injuries. it is a waiting game. how do i know when i'm healed and ready to go again?

really bums me out to get injured at the beginning of the season and to have thoughts i might have to sit out a month or more

cue lol guy

Re: Rib injury - worth going to see a doctor? How do I know when I'm healed? [Re: averagejoe] #2121621
11/07/13 01:14 PM
11/07/13 01:14 PM
done
G
GWS Offline
Duke status
GWS  Offline
Duke status
G

done
Waiting game. Doc can't really do anything for them. I've got one side that I broke that has never really been the same. It doesn't sound like you broke them. Maybe just bruised. Time. I've been told circulation is not that great in that location (No MD and I don't know that for a fact) but if so, alternating heat and ice as you watch TV seems reasonable. Flush it with blood and then push the blood out.

Maybe try doing this on the carpet.

If it causes pain, you still have an issue.

Re: Rib injury - worth going to see a doctor? How do I know when I'm healed? [Re: GWS] #2121622
11/07/13 01:54 PM
11/07/13 01:54 PM
santa cruz
A
averagejoe Offline OP
Miki Dora status
averagejoe  Offline OP
Miki Dora status
A

santa cruz
thanks man

Re: Rib injury - worth going to see a doctor? How do I know when I'm healed? [Re: averagejoe] #2121623
11/07/13 05:11 PM
11/07/13 05:11 PM
CBS, CA
J
john4surf Offline
Phil Edwards status
john4surf  Offline
Phil Edwards status
J

CBS, CA
If you in deed cracked / fractured a rib, you'll know it is healed... when you cough, sneeze, get up, sit down and it no longer hurts, your healed.

Aspiring or ibuprofen, ice/heat for relief. Maybe a chest wrap.

Some would suggest seeing a GP to get an xray (simply to ensure a fractured bone isn't endangering other organs).

I wouldn't push it for several weeks after you no longer have the symptoms. Easy enough to reaggrivate soft tissue (experience in my own case).

Get a doctor's advice...

Re: Rib injury - worth going to see a doctor? How do I know when I'm healed? [Re: GWS] #2121624
11/08/13 02:59 AM
11/08/13 02:59 AM
CA
S
stu dog Online content
Duke status
stu dog  Online Content
Duke status
S

CA
Quote:

Waiting game. Doc can't really do anything for them. I've got one side that I broke that has never really been the same. It doesn't sound like you broke them. Maybe just bruised. Time. I've been told circulation is not that great in that location (No MD and I don't know that for a fact) but if so, alternating heat and ice as you watch TV seems reasonable. Flush it with blood and then push the blood out.

Maybe try doing this on the carpet.

If it causes pain, you still have an issue.

agree....pretty much only time is going to heel it.
happen to me years back. week of non stop surfing after not exercising for a month, then was sitting at my desk at work and move just slightly caused my left rib cage to have shooting pain. ortho wasn't much of a help and had me do PT. therapist was sure i pulled a muscle. took 3 months of PT to get better where i could surf without pain. best part of rehab i'll use forever is stretching with one of those "swedish" balls. do this but sit in a chair instead of on your knees. WAY more effective. and alternate single arms

Re: Rib injury - worth going to see a doctor? How do I know when I'm healed? [Re: averagejoe] #2121625
11/08/13 12:26 PM
11/08/13 12:26 PM
Virginia Beach, VA
V
VaB Offline
Michael Peterson status
VaB  Offline
Michael Peterson status
V

Virginia Beach, VA
I'm not giving YOU medical advice. I'm giving general advice.

skip the doc. nothing to do. Do not brace it. Take mortrin or tylenol for pain and be sure to take deep breaths a few times a day. shallow breaths = splinting leads to pneumonia.

it may be broken, it may not. doesn't matter.

think of it like an ankle sprain. if you sprained an ankle, waited, and rolled it again. good luck.

Last edited by VaB; 11/08/13 12:26 PM.
Re: Rib injury - worth going to see a doctor? How do I know when I'm healed? [Re: VaB] #2121626
11/09/13 05:32 PM
11/09/13 05:32 PM
Vagina Point
A
Autoprax Online content
Duke status
Autoprax  Online Content
Duke status
A

Vagina Point
I've had rib injuries that kept me out of the water for months.

One I couldn't sleep on my side for a month and it was hard to get out of bed in the morning.

Yours doesn't sound that bad.

Don't surf on it injured. Heal.

Re: Rib injury - worth going to see a doctor? How do I know when I'm healed? [Re: VaB] #2121627
11/10/13 08:58 PM
11/10/13 08:58 PM
santa cruz
A
averagejoe Offline OP
Miki Dora status
averagejoe  Offline OP
Miki Dora status
A

santa cruz
Thanks for all the advice and nonadvice

Re: Rib injury - worth going to see a doctor? How do I know when I'm healed? [Re: ] #2121629
11/11/13 01:57 AM
11/11/13 01:57 AM
Southern Tip, Norcal
H
heelnipstr Offline
Miki Dora status
heelnipstr  Offline
Miki Dora status
H

Southern Tip, Norcal
had freak injury to the side of my ribcage(with the Bulkley)
Finishing a wave gliding over the shoulder I hit a cross bump. I just casually fall over and get pitched so the boards nose pins to my side while the wave pushes it into me, seemed like forever.
Hurt like hell but I poked the ribs they didn't hurt but behind them was the pain, nothing felt broken so continued to surf. After an hr got tired walked home cleaned up and felt nauseous puked and laid down. Didn't want to get out of bed for a day and was convinced I bruised an organ. Couldn't stop peeing and got a little blood in the urine. A little better the next day but I was worried, went to the doctor after a while. They did nothing, they suggested ultra sound kidneys, spleen, and what not. With that they said everything was fine. Think it took many months before the pain went away.
good luck with it

If you see a Buddha in the road, ask which gender pronouns they prefer and then kill them.
Re: Rib injury - worth going to see a doctor? How do I know when I'm healed? [Re: heelnipstr] #2121630
11/11/13 11:10 PM
11/11/13 11:10 PM
Manta Sonica
S
Shorepound Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
Shorepound  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
S

Manta Sonica
Have you considered acupuncture? I've used it in the past for sports injuries, including a recent rib muscle strain/pull, and it's always been effective for me.

If you're open to it, find a well-recommended practitioner; you might be surprised by the results.

"Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded." - Yogi Berra
Re: Rib injury - worth going to see a doctor? How do I know when I'm healed? [Re: Shorepound] #2121631
11/12/13 10:26 AM
11/12/13 10:26 AM
santa cruz
A
averagejoe Offline OP
Miki Dora status
averagejoe  Offline OP
Miki Dora status
A

santa cruz
Quote:

Have you considered acupuncture? I've used it in the past for sports injuries, including a recent rib muscle strain/pull, and it's always been effective for me.

If you're open to it, find a well-recommended practitioner; you might be surprised by the results.

Interesting you say that... My wife went for an acupuncture appt this past weekend for a headache and liked it and is going back. Might check it out.

Re: Rib injury - worth going to see a doctor? How do I know when I'm healed? [Re: averagejoe] #2121632
11/12/13 03:19 PM
11/12/13 03:19 PM
Room 429
C
c_olden Offline
Miki Dora status
c_olden  Offline
Miki Dora status
C

Room 429
I've broken ribs on three different occasions. I only went to the doc the
first time. They basically told me there was nothing they could do for me. Their advice was "Try not to sneeze for two weeks." Brilliant.
The last two times, I didn't bother going to the ER.
It sucks for a while, and the pain gradually goes away. Take some ibuprofen and try not to sneeze.

"I'm way too baked to drive to the Devil's house."
Re: Rib injury - worth going to see a doctor? How do I know when I'm healed? [Re: averagejoe] #2121633
11/14/13 03:54 AM
11/14/13 03:54 AM
ex-pat Huntington Beach
S
SurfDoc Offline
Michael Peterson status
SurfDoc  Offline
Michael Peterson status
S

ex-pat Huntington Beach
Ditto many responses here. I've broken ribs 3 times. Possibly 4 even. You know your okay when it doesn't hurt with the sneezing, pooping, couging, laughing, deep breathing, barrel hooping etc. Typically 4-6 weeks if no re-injury.

Peace,
Surf Doc
Be safe, surf smart, know your limits! Check this: www.happyshark.com
Re: Rib injury - worth going to see a doctor? How do I know when I'm healed? [Re: SurfDoc] #2121634
12/19/13 02:10 AM
12/19/13 02:10 AM
E
ElOgro Offline
Duke status
ElOgro  Offline
Duke status
E

Quote:

Ditto many responses here. I've broken ribs 3 times. Possibly 4 even. You know your okay when it doesn't hurt with the sneezing, pooping, couging, laughing, deep breathing, barrel hooping etc. Typically 4-6 weeks if no re-injury.

I'm told that Vitamin B complex B1 100 mcg and vitamin B6 ijections IM are effective, 1 every 3 days are effective to releve muscle and strain issues, and even with broken ribs it helps with the localized inflamatory issues. Follow up with capsules of the same. After that you get into the antiiinflamary realm which can be a slippery slope. Best thing is rest. My last was 2 months out of the water.

What you say doc?

"That's their respect for me... I got leid," Rabbit Kekai

"That's all it takes--one moment." Sponge
Re: Rib injury - worth going to see a doctor? How do I know when I'm healed? [Re: ElOgro] #2121635
12/31/13 02:26 AM
12/31/13 02:26 AM
ex-pat Huntington Beach
S
SurfDoc Offline
Michael Peterson status
SurfDoc  Offline
Michael Peterson status
S

ex-pat Huntington Beach
Millions of broken ribs over the centuries healed just fine without vitamin B injections. So, what do you think?

Peace,
Surf Doc
Be safe, surf smart, know your limits! Check this: www.happyshark.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32