REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 15
Re: Obama Care helping you or hurting you $? [Re: Norm'] #2119584
11/03/13 01:19 AM
11/03/13 01:19 AM
HB, CA
I
ifallalot Offline
Duke status
ifallalot  Offline
Duke status
I

HB, CA
Quote:

I employ a few people, and we pay for top of the line issuance for them and their families. BUT, if we pay too much for their insurance, we face a HUGE tax penalty. WTF?

I thought that the point of this was to have everyone insured, just not too insured?

Someone please explain this to me.

Because this plan was invented by insurance companies for insurance companies

My entire existence is a failed gotcha
Re: Obama Care helping you or hurting you $? [Re: ifallalot] #2119585
11/03/13 02:55 AM
11/03/13 02:55 AM
In the water
H
HBSURFDAD Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
HBSURFDAD  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
H

In the water
Quote:

Quote:

I employ a few people, and we pay for top of the line issuance for them and their families. BUT, if we pay too much for their insurance, we face a HUGE tax penalty. WTF?

I thought that the point of this was to have everyone insured, just not too insured?

This statement is too stupid to ignore. The tax you are talking about actually hurts insurance companies. Again, I understand your passion, but please learn some facts.

With PPACA EVERYBODYS cost are going up, this is a fact. The difference is some people are having others pay for a portion of their costs.

HBSURFDAD

Re: Obama Care helping you or hurting you $? [Re: HBSURFDAD] #2119586
11/03/13 10:32 AM
11/03/13 10:32 AM
your mom
F
FecalFace Offline
Duke status
FecalFace  Offline
Duke status
F

your mom
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

This statement is too stupid to ignore. The tax you are talking about actually hurts insurance companies. Again, I understand your passion, but please learn some facts.

With PPACA EVERYBODYS cost are going up, this is a fact. The difference is some people are having others pay for a portion of their costs.

HBSURFDAD

Oh goody, the insurance shill is here.

If there was a public option, like it should have been, the insurance companies would have to compete, instead of have a free reign, yet again.

The real and the biggest benefit of ACA is stopping the ridiculousness of insurance companies denying coverage for pre-existing conditions.
Those whose premiums went up are punished by insurance companies because the insurance profiteers are finally forced to provide actual health service to their customers.
Those uninsured who are forced to join the pool are also paying for this. That's only fair - everybody ends up in hospital at some point.

The abolishment of pre-existing condition bullshit is why ACA is worth it in my book. But it ain't no single payer system, hope that's yet to come.

"The real enemy are the (gun) manufactures of your toys and the NRA. They play on your fear to steal your money." - ifallalot / 2014
Re: Obama Care helping you or hurting you $? [Re: HBSURFDAD] #2119587
11/03/13 10:42 AM
11/03/13 10:42 AM
HB, CA
I
ifallalot Offline
Duke status
ifallalot  Offline
Duke status
I

HB, CA
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

HBSURFDAD

A slight tax increase compared to a windfall of profit? Sorry, not buying it. And costs are going up, god forbid it cuts into profit. I know that the whole healthcare industry is a racket, not just insurance, and you've helped me to understand that but to think that Obamacare is actually hurting insurance companies is ridiculous.

3. Obamacare: Health care dead-end

The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act was a victory for corporate America. In exchange for giving up their rules against covering pre-existing conditions and agreeing to raise the age limit in which children could be covered under their parents policy, the health insurance corporations got the federal government to require every citizen to buy their product and commit to subsidizing those that cant afford the price. The pharmaceutical industry received even stronger government protection of their price-gouging monopolies. The Congressional Budget Office estimates that there will still be 30 million uninsured Americans by the end of the decade. Tens of millions more will be under-insured as the companies are free to raise their premiums and deductibles.

Although it abandoned the public option, the White House whispers to Democrats that Obamacare will pave the way for single-payer. Fat chance. The bill was inspired by the right-wing Heritage Foundation and largely drafted by a former insurance company executive precisely to stop single-payer from ever happening. Meanwhile, the corporate dominated health care system will continue to be a huge drag on our global competitiveness and long-term fiscal health.

Re: Obama Care helping you or hurting you $? [Re: ifallalot] #2119588
11/03/13 11:27 AM
11/03/13 11:27 AM
In the water
H
HBSURFDAD Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
HBSURFDAD  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
H

In the water
Obamacare is not hurting or helping insurance companies, it is just changing how they play the game. The bidding process on the exchanges will balance the additional enrolled so in my guess "profits" will be about the same, but costs for the whole process will be much higher. Look at carrier stocks, most are flat for the whole process. No costs are going down, someone else is picking up the difference and then some more. You and I both know the current system is broken, now with obamacare we just added another symptom!

HBSURFDAD

Re: Obama Care helping you or hurting you $? [Re: HBSURFDAD] #2119589
11/03/13 12:13 PM
11/03/13 12:13 PM
your mom
F
FecalFace Offline
Duke status
FecalFace  Offline
Duke status
F

your mom
Quote:

Obamacare is not hurting or helping insurance companies, it is just changing how they play the game. The bidding process on the exchanges will balance the additional enrolled so in my guess "profits" will be about the same, but costs for the whole process will be much higher. Look at carrier stocks, most are flat for the whole process. No costs are going down, someone else is picking up the difference and then some more. You and I both know the current system is broken, now with obamacare we just added another symptom!

HBSURFDAD

The Obama care "symptom" is that everybody is covered and insurance corpos can't deny you care when you most need it.
What a disaster!

And yes, the health care system is broken and Rightards like it that way because it's good for business.

"The real enemy are the (gun) manufactures of your toys and the NRA. They play on your fear to steal your money." - ifallalot / 2014
Re: Obama Care helping you or hurting you $? [Re: FecalFace] #2119590
11/03/13 12:21 PM
11/03/13 12:21 PM
In Gods Country
C
CharmingSophisticate Offline
Duke status
CharmingSophisticate  Offline
Duke status
C

In Gods Country
Quote:

The Obama care "symptom" is that everybody is covered and insurance corpos can't deny you care when you most need it.

The "corpo's cannot deny you "care" dingleberry.

Have you ever actually considered getting the facts prior to spouting off?
Didn't think so, it'd be way hard on your self esteem when you found out that the real world and television are two different things.

"...now tell me that wasn't fun!" Capt. Jack Aubrey
Re: Obama Care helping you or hurting you $? [Re: CharmingSophisticate] #2119591
11/03/13 01:07 PM
11/03/13 01:07 PM
your mom
F
FecalFace Offline
Duke status
FecalFace  Offline
Duke status
F

your mom
Quote:

Quote:

Didn't think so, it'd be way hard on your self esteem when you found out that the real world and television are two different things.

I know that it's hard to get the facts straight when you live in your mom's basement. Since you haven't heard yet, denying care for pre-existing condition and denying coverage all together for things like genetic disorders, actually existed.

Until now that is.

Re: Obama Care helping you or hurting you $? [Re: FecalFace] #2119592
11/03/13 01:11 PM
11/03/13 01:11 PM
In Gods Country
C
Duke status
Duke status
C

In Gods Country
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I know that it's hard to get the facts straight when you live in your mom's basement. Since you have heard, denying care for pre-existing condition and denying cover had all together for things like genetic disorders actually existed.

Until now that is.

No one is getting denied healthcare for a pre-existing condition. If you show up at urgent care with a pre-existing infected wound you will receive healthcare.

You just may not be the one actually PAYING for it.

Re: Obama Care helping you or hurting you $? [Re: CharmingSophisticate] #2119593
11/03/13 01:24 PM
11/03/13 01:24 PM
Carpinteria
00H8R Offline
Nep status
00H8R  Offline
Nep status

Carpinteria
Quote:

Quote:

My rates when down almost $400 per month for my family, and my coverage went up. Lower deductible, lower co-pay...Obamacare rocks.

Well, there you have it, it's a success!

You probably didn't even have more than a 6 hour wait to enroll either.

So what is your quote, and how is that compared to your current plan?

Re: Obama Care helping you or hurting you $? [Re: FecalFace] #2119594
11/03/13 01:31 PM
11/03/13 01:31 PM
Carlsbad
G
GDaddy Offline
Duke status
GDaddy  Offline
Duke status
G

Carlsbad
Quote:

The real and the biggest benefit of ACA is stopping the ridiculousness of insurance companies denying coverage for pre-existing conditions.
Those whose premiums went up are punished by insurance companies because the insurance profiteers are finally forced to provide actual health service to their customers.
Those uninsured who are forced to join the pool are also paying for this. That's only fair - everybody ends up in hospital at some point.

Now that's a line of discussion I'd like to pursue.

It's basically saying that even if you're healthy you're still going to end up using a lot of medical care and services at some point in your life so you need to pay your fair share.

First of all I'd like to say I completely agree that on average everyone uses a lot of medical care at some point, often at the end-of-life stages; but also including neo-natal and childbirth and pediatrics and emergency medicine.

I also agree that people who use the services but who don't pay their providers add to the costs for the people who do pay.

The angle to this I want to discuss is what impact do these non-payers have on the costs at the provider level.

When it comes to these non-payers, what's their usage of medical care across the entire spectrum of services?

Does the average urologist or endocrinologist spend a significant amount of their time providing services to these non-payers? Do the MRI operators spend a significant percentage of their capacity to provide free scans to non-payers? Do the Pharma corporations give away for free a significant portion of their production capacity?

If the insurance companies are the big public enemy that sucks up a large percentage of the gross then why is the cash price of these services direct from the providers (and bypassing the insurance companies) as high as they are?

If the law requires these providers and hospitals to provide free emergency services regardless of the patient's ability to pay then why are the costs of other services that these patients do not have access to and which they cannot use as high as they are?

If the pharma companies aren't required to provide free meds to anyone then why are those costs so high?

If you're poor and you don't have insurance and you contract cancer you're probably not going to get treatment beyond whatever happens in an ER. That means that oncologist probably isn't providing free services to poor people and he's getting paid for everything he does. That being the case, why is the all-cash price for a round of chemo from this doctor working at this cancer clinic cost as much as it does?

#sowhat
Re: Obama Care helping you or hurting you $? [Re: CharmingSophisticate] #2119595
11/03/13 01:35 PM
11/03/13 01:35 PM
your mom
F
FecalFace Offline
Duke status
FecalFace  Offline
Duke status
F

your mom
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I know that it's hard to get the facts straight when you live in your mom's basement. Since you have heard, denying care for pre-existing condition and denying cover had all together for things like genetic disorders actually existed.

Until now that is.

No one is getting denied healthcare for a pre-existing condition. If you show up at urgent care with a pre-existing infected wound you will receive healthcare.

They do lung transplants at the ER?
Cancer treatments? Chemo? MRI?
Heart bypass surgery?
Dialysis?
Treat genetic disorders?
Mental care?

You keep repeating your "facts" over and over again here, now you need to answer the questions above.
My bet is that you won't.

Re: Obama Care helping you or hurting you $? [Re: FecalFace] #2119596
11/03/13 01:48 PM
11/03/13 01:48 PM
In Gods Country
C
Duke status
Duke status
C

In Gods Country
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Until now that is.

They do lung transplants at the ER?
Cancer treatments? Chemo? MRI?
Heart bypass surgery?
Dialysis?
Treat genetic disorders?
Mental care?

You keep repeating your "facts" over and over again here, now you need to answer the questions above.
My bet is that you won't.

Not that I know of. What's your point?

That there are tons of poor people not getting the treatment that they need in order to survive?

This aint England bro (thank your beloved NHS) where it's all paid for........whether or not you get it in time is irrelevant, it's all paid for and it makes you feel good about yourself. The poor f'ers that die waiting for care?
Acceptable collateral damage apparently.

Re: Obama Care helping you or hurting you $? [Re: HBSURFDAD] #2119597
11/03/13 01:53 PM
HB, CA
I
ifallalot Offline
Duke status
ifallalot  Offline
Duke status
I

HB, CA
Quote:

No costs are going down, someone else is picking up the difference and then some more. You and I both know the current system is broken, now with obamacare we just added another symptom!

Absolutely 100%

Re: Obama Care helping you or hurting you $? [Re: GDaddy] #2119598
your mom
F
FecalFace Offline
Duke status
FecalFace  Offline
Duke status
F

your mom
Quote:

If the insurance companies are the big public enemy that sucks up a large percentage of the gross then why is the cash price of these services direct from the providers (and bypassing the insurance companies) as high as they are?

There's plenty of blame to go around, insurance companies are just a tip of the iceberg. But they are an important link in the pyramid scheme that is passes for healthcare.

As long as the private sector is given a free reign with little regulation, we will be paying through the nose for very little.

I'm self-employed and years ago I decided to give Blue Cross a boot. I've been paying a lot for very little. I've been paying out of the pocket for all my medical expenses so believe me, I know what a rip off the whole thing is because I get to pay the bills. From $500 for an ER band aid to $2000 dollar crown.

I recently got a new GP at Scripps, being 50 this year and all.
$240 dollars for a 5 minute chat that taught me nothing and $365 dollars for a blood test that I haven't even seen (the nurse called and said that my "cholesterol is a little high") and that's it. $600 and I'm not any better off for it. I'm sure somebody else is.

Page 5 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 15

Moderated by  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32