REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Why does Tuflite=Kook? #208818
10/10/03 05:03 AM
10/10/03 05:03 AM
?
K
knowaves Offline
Michael Peterson status
knowaves  Offline
Michael Peterson status
K

?
TheGhost
are you sure anthony tashnick, shawn barron, chris lynch, and MANY more are kooks?
i'm sure they are knot.
...and i can fly on mine... [Razz]

Re: Why does Tuflite=Kook? #208819
10/10/03 05:24 AM
10/10/03 05:24 AM
P
Plucky Offline
Nep status
Plucky  Offline
Nep status
P

A LOT of guys in Japan ride these things (new = trendy = popular out here). Some of the guys rip on them, some of them are newbies and suck. I've seen some snapped noses on the things and some big dings. I watched a guy get washed into a jetty recently and his surftech got blasted. I guess that's to be expected though. It was pretty serious.

I surf a custom made epoxy that is awesome. Hand-shaped with TLC and it has been a great board. No dings at all on the thing and the glass job isn't even that thick. The shaper gave me a piece of the epoxy foam when I picked the board up and told me to stomp on it as hard as I could. I weigh 220 and could barely put a dent in it. Pretty impressive. I guess this is a bit different than the pop-outs, but used correctly, it could be a good(?) thing for surfing.

Re: Why does Tuflite=Kook? #208820
10/10/03 07:49 AM
10/10/03 07:49 AM
Honolulu, Hawaii
F
foamdust Offline
Gerry Lopez status
foamdust  Offline
Gerry Lopez status
F

Honolulu, Hawaii
The other day I traded boards with this girl who was riding a Merrick Surftech, a 7'0" hybrid. I have been reading all this negative stuff about them, so I would say I was kind of biased from the get go. It paddled good and although I caught only one wave, I found the board to be quite fast and loose. It was an easy board to get used to. I probably wouldnt buy one for myself because I shape my own boards, but for anyone else, it may be a viable option. I dont think we should judge people by what type of board they ride, if a person is a kook its because he/she is inexperienced, not because he rides a SurfTech. The last few times I've seen Ben Aipa out, he's been riding his epoxy model, does that make him a kook? We should all concentrate on getting along better with one an other in the water. Ride what you like, have fun.

Re: Why does Tuflite=Kook? #208821
10/10/03 10:07 AM
10/10/03 10:07 AM
?
K
knowaves Offline
Michael Peterson status
knowaves  Offline
Michael Peterson status
K

?
let's put it this away...
if a regular board survived surfing every day and all that entails, i would knot kneed a tuflite. fact is, i bang it around ALOT, whether it hits a wall as I'm sneaking out at dawn or it hits some part of my body during one typical everyday session, duckdives, WHATEVER.
I cleaned the wax off of my new board one day to apply a fresh job and realized that its days were knumbered, after just 3 months. It looked like a hangten logo! So, I waxed up the tuflite wondering what to expect and found that it definitely works, going where I kneeded it to on time, and responding very quickly to my instincts. One thing I do knotice is it is slippery during hold-downs but I'll take that inconvenience over softer rails I can ding as I walk with it. My "real board", the fiberglass one made by one of the top 5 shapers in the world I do believe, sits in my closet ready to go should it be called upon... Things even started a crack below where my front foot always goes.
My tuflite keeps me smiling, day in and day out. Why should I worry about a shaper losing out? I am knot on akny team. I don't have a sponsor. If I did, I still wouldn't worry. I'd kneed a new board and it would be given to me. I kneed something that will last at least a year and live up to my expectations at all times, in all conditions. The tuflite does.

Re: Why does Tuflite=Kook? #208822
10/10/03 10:40 AM
10/10/03 10:40 AM
Corpus Christi, TX
S
Shwuz Offline OP
Miki Dora status
Shwuz  Offline OP
Miki Dora status
S

Corpus Christi, TX
Just to clarify...

Do all epoxy boards fall under the "tuflite" category, even locally made hand shaped ones? Or is this scorn reserved primarily for pop-outs?

Re: Why does Tuflite=Kook? #208823
10/10/03 11:09 AM
10/10/03 11:09 AM
L
L8 Offline
Miki Dora status
L8  Offline
Miki Dora status
L

There is a difference between epoxy and Surftech. I don't think you'll find anyone who has a problem with the morals of buying a handmade epoxy (they may ride better or worse, but that's personal opinion). What a lot of people hate about Surftechs is that Randy French is exploiting the demand for cheap surfboards by taking advantage of cheap third world labor at the expense of boardbuilders who have dedicated their lives to perfecting their craft. In an article that was posted on this BB recently, the owner of one of the top glassing shops says that he pays the guy who sweeps up the floors more in a day than the Surftech laborers make in a month. The Cobra factory (where Surftechs are made) is run like a labor camp where the workers actually live in a compound built by Cobra adjacent to the factory.

Look, the decision is yours. But if you choose to buy a new Surftech just to save around 100 bucks, you're a sell-out. A kook isn't a bad surfer. A kook is someone who does stupid things even though he knows better.

Re: Why does Tuflite=Kook? #208824
10/10/03 11:59 AM
10/10/03 11:59 AM
000 Offline
Duke status
000  Offline
Duke status

its funny how the guys on here think its cool to ride a single fin, but kook to ride a surftech.

Re: Why does Tuflite=Kook? #208825
10/10/03 12:09 PM
10/10/03 12:09 PM
H
hmmm Offline
Rabbitt Bartholomew status
hmmm  Offline
Rabbitt Bartholomew status
H

don't matter what i ride, old school fish, new school single fin, standard potatoe chip, custom shorty, surftech(never ridden one yet), i will have fun on them.

my new love is with modern fishes in overhead waves a little to big for what they are made for but still interesting to do. but so far for performance/contests i still stick to custom standard shorties.

its really not the board but the rider.

[ October 10, 2003, 08:10 AM: Message edited by: hmmm ]

Re: Why does Tuflite=Kook? #208826
10/10/03 12:17 PM
10/10/03 12:17 PM
P
Plucky Offline
Nep status
Plucky  Offline
Nep status
P

quote:
Originally posted by L8:

Look, the decision is yours. But if you choose to buy a new Surftech just to save around 100 bucks, you're a sell-out. A kook isn't a bad surfer. A kook is someone who does stupid things even though he knows better.

Oh christ! Now that it has to do with surfing we are all saviors! Step down from the moral high horse and look around you. Somebody that is new to surfing is not a 'sell-out' because they bought a pop out. give me a fukkin' break. Some of you get so elitist and so trapped up in what is conformist in the surfing world and with your brethren that you can't even tolerate a person who was you when you began. Now read on.

I was very lucky to have a friend introduce me to some local NW shapers when I started out. I got great deals and some great boards and have learned to love the craft of shaping myself. I am a complete adherent to 'support your local shaper'. I really am and I have enjoyed every board I have ever gotten from them. Some people aren't so lucky and they get what they can. They may not be versed in the cool 'surfer mag bb hates pop outs' conformist thought. Ya know what - they are just trying to surf and have fun. Sorry if they spoil it for you. I'm going to get reamed for this, but - what the fuk do you expect in So Cal? Just like the Japanese, if it's trendy it's going to be cool hence more people. Tread on soul surfers - you know who you are and you won't give a rats ass about the newest trends. Surf and be free. Run over a grom or two in the process though - toughens them up [Smile]

Re: Why does Tuflite=Kook? #208827
10/10/03 12:24 PM
10/10/03 12:24 PM
done
G
GWS Offline
Duke status
GWS  Offline
Duke status
G

done
Soon SurfTech will take over. Then Corporate headquarters will buy out Grubby Clark. Grubbys volume will have dried waaay up, so he will take the cash and run. Probably buy the rest of the foam blowers as well. Make them offers they cant refuse. Then they choke off the foam supply.

The surf shop of the future will look like Home Depot.

Longboards, aisle 4.

Wood veneer longboards, aisle 5.

Shortboards are in aisles 6 through 7. Models are stocked in alphabetical order from the front of the store. All in lovely primary colors.

Need help? Ask one of the guys wearing the matching aloha print coveralls.

Shortboards sir? Aisles 6 through 7. Theres a weight/ability chart at the start of each aisle that will tell you which model you should be surfing. Most models come in small, medium, large and extra large. Stay to the right and be sure and visit our Surf Dude Coffee Bar on your way out! Have a nice day!

[ October 10, 2003, 08:27 AM: Message edited by: GWS ]

Re: Why does Tuflite=Kook? #208828
10/10/03 12:27 PM
10/10/03 12:27 PM
P
Plucky Offline
Nep status
Plucky  Offline
Nep status
P

so GWS, you're a half glass empty kinda guy?

Re: Why does Tuflite=Kook? #208829
10/10/03 12:29 PM
10/10/03 12:29 PM
done
G
GWS Offline
Duke status
GWS  Offline
Duke status
G

done
No. One brick short of a load maybe. Other than that, a realist.

Watch it happen.

Re: Why does Tuflite=Kook? #208830
10/10/03 12:34 PM
10/10/03 12:34 PM
L
L8 Offline
Miki Dora status
L8  Offline
Miki Dora status
L

the issue isn't whether you can surf good on them... a good surfer can rip on anything.

you can do you what you want, but you lose a lot of respect if you buy one. it's a display of ignorance. if you do know better, and you still buy one, it's a display of how little you care.

if you're new to surfing, you can get a used board cheaper than a surftech. you can get a cheap custom for not a lot more. if it's just about getting the cheapest equipment you can possibly buy, go buy your surftech. they're for trendy people who don't know better. and even those people should know better.

and 000 - i don't think it's cool to ride a single fin, i think it's a fun change of pace every once in a while. sometimes it's fun to glide with the wave and just work on staying in the power of the wave. plus it makes you realize how far boards have come in just a few years.

you're a kook if you do stupid things like drop in on people, ditch your board, or buy a surftech, even though you know there's very good reasons not to do those things.

buy a surftech if you really just have to have one so you can save a few bucks. i'd rather have something made by people who surf and have made surfing an important part of their lives. that's the kind of board i want to ride, you can ride whatever you want. but you should know what you're buying before you buy it.

[ October 10, 2003, 08:36 AM: Message edited by: L8 ]

Re: Why does Tuflite=Kook? #208831
10/10/03 12:37 PM
10/10/03 12:37 PM
P
Plucky Offline
Nep status
Plucky  Offline
Nep status
P

quote:
Originally posted by GWS:
No. One brick short of a load maybe. Other than that, a realist.

Watch it happen.

GWS, not disagreeing with you. I just don't really think that the local shaper will die with this move. Think about it. There are many of us that respect the craft and as a whole we are able to pass our respect and knowledge on to others. Some will take, some won't. I highly doubt the art will ever die though. The sad thing is, more people are getting into surfing and the surftech is filling that void. I (hopefully) think they aren't serious about the life though. I pray they aren't. Who knows - there may be some converts out there. They may ride a pop out, they may not. If they're down, then they're in. We may be approaching a tragedy of the commons, and soon, only the few will survive.

Re: Why does Tuflite=Kook? #208832
10/10/03 12:49 PM
10/10/03 12:49 PM
T
The Poet Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
The Poet  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
T

quote:
Originally posted by 000:
its funny how the guys on here think its cool to ride a single fin, but kook to ride a surftech.

Of all the things you've posted, this might be the one
That takes the cake for ignorance, congrats to you my son

I can see it now in your next post, "I'll kick your ass you clown"
"For I'm the greatest surfer, and can bench press 50 pounds!"

But what has come to light, your last post the final clue
Is what your handle stood for, alas it's your IQ.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32