REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Myringoplasty/Tympanoplasty anyone??? #2086581
07/27/13 05:31 PM
07/27/13 05:31 PM
Petak Island
C
casa_mugrienta Offline OP
Duke status
casa_mugrienta  Offline OP
Duke status
C

Petak Island
Anyone had either?

Eardum has been perforated 4 months now. After paper patches have failed, my ENT is going to do fat graft myringoplasty, as described here:

http://lobe.ca/en/audition-langage-et-pa...-in-20-minutes/

Does anyone have any experience with myringoplasty or tympanoplasty? I don't know anyone who has had it, and many people haven't even heard of it. Some internet sources say diving is off limits, haven't heard anything about surfing. Guessing I'm doomed for life to wear an earplug from here on out...

Q: Secret aspiration?
A: Buy Pezman's mag and turn it into a piece of crap.
Re: Myringoplasty/Tympanoplasty anyone??? [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2086582
07/27/13 06:46 PM
07/27/13 06:46 PM
TamaGringo
S
Scallywag Offline
Nep status
Scallywag  Offline
Nep status
S

TamaGringo
I feel your pain.

I have been out of the water for a couple months. Finally have the infection under control after taking Cipro for a couple weeks (Hate the way that stuff makes me feel)

Doc has me taking this gnarly vitamin stuff called ADerogyl as a last ditch effort to have the eardrum heal but it looks like I will be going under the knife. Been dealing with this chit for years

DONT NAME SPOTS!
Re: Myringoplasty/Tympanoplasty anyone??? [Re: Scallywag] #2086583
07/28/13 11:48 AM
07/28/13 11:48 AM
Petak Island
C
Duke status
Duke status
C

Petak Island
Has your doc mentioned whether he'd go endoscopic or actually slice the ear?

Mine says he will do endo, and that I can go back to work that afternoon. No activity restriction except not getting it wet for the healing period and no flying.

Has yours said anything about long term activity restrictions related to the surgery?

Re: Myringoplasty/Tympanoplasty anyone??? [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2086584
07/29/13 01:32 PM
07/29/13 01:32 PM
Petak Island
C
Duke status
Duke status
C

Petak Island
bump

Re: Myringoplasty/Tympanoplasty anyone??? [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2086585
07/29/13 04:49 PM
07/29/13 04:49 PM
TamaGringo
S
Scallywag Offline
Nep status
Scallywag  Offline
Nep status
S

TamaGringo
Slicing the ear is out dated (even here in CR)

I told him that not surfing isn't an option however I will wait as long as he wants until I do surfing board practicing again.

DONT NAME SPOTS!
Re: Myringoplasty/Tympanoplasty anyone??? [Re: Scallywag] #2086586
08/28/13 08:35 PM
08/28/13 08:35 PM
Petak Island
C
Duke status
Duke status
C

Petak Island
Had my myringoplasty 2 weeks ago, and follow up appointment yesterday.

Apparently surgery was ineffective.

There's still a hole there, as evidenced by pressure test to the eardrum. The doctor says he has no idea where the hole is, as looking at my drum it appears the graft has completely taken, and he can't see any hole.

So it's looking like an additional 6 weeks out of the water, followed by another ear surgery, and then another 6 weeks out of the water AGAIN for post op healing.

This whole fuucking thing has been like a bad dream. Completely able to surf physically but having a hole in your f*cking head, that if you get water in will likely get infected and set you back even more months.

Not to mention activity restriction with the surgeries.

Frustrating also is the fact nobody I know has had the surgery, and eardrum surgery seems to be completely unknown within the surfing world for the most part. BaliIdiot, however, has been through the same thing...it sent him packing to NYC (thanks for the PM AB, tried to reply but your box is always maxed out)

Politics aside, greatest fear now is that pending Obamacare implementation, myringoplasty and tympanoplasty will be classified by insurers as "elective."

Sorry for the rant, just for the first time I'm honestly wondering if I'm really ever gonna surf again. Too young for this poop.

(q lol_guy..)

Last edited by casa_mugrienta; 08/28/13 08:36 PM.

Moderated by  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32