REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Oregon [Re: smithgrind] #2069256
06/19/13 04:29 AM
06/19/13 04:29 AM
PNW
B
bruddahkine Offline
Miki Dora status
bruddahkine  Offline
Miki Dora status
B

PNW
Quote:

It's good to see how much Oregon surfers like to talk about how discouraging it is to surf in Oregon. I think you're gonna really like Portland, avt_. Best time of the year to be here...

whats up P?

You may attach a file to this post while editing.
Re: Oregon [Re: bruddahkine] #2069257
06/29/13 03:54 AM
06/29/13 03:54 AM
PNW
B
bruddahkine Offline
Miki Dora status
bruddahkine  Offline
Miki Dora status
B

PNW

Re: Oregon [Re: bruddahkine] #2069258
06/29/13 08:28 PM
06/29/13 08:28 PM
PNW
S
smithgrind Offline
Grom
smithgrind  Offline
Grom
S

PNW
Is that "portlander" drinking starbucks? Seattle sucks if you're a surfer, I agree.

Re: Oregon [Re: smithgrind] #2069259
07/03/13 06:30 PM
07/03/13 06:30 PM
NorOR
S
SeaFoamGreen Offline
Nep status
SeaFoamGreen  Offline
Nep status
S

NorOR
Funny vid Brudda.... esp the part about the IPAs and Voodo (Tourist Trap!) Guy must not skate thou. We like our pools in that regard.

Personally I like Seattle and dont mind Starbucks either, but I'm no native. Less hipsters and way more diversity up there. Better cheap beer as well; Rainer, Oly, etc Also, like the fact its surrounded by salty water. Further from the surf, but honestly not by much. Closer to way better shredding than Hood or Flatch. Geographically coastline is way more diversified as well, but thats all I am gonna say bout that... Really not much of a comparison other than geographic proximity. Big city vs. large town. But yeah Portland is cool, too cool.

May be going to hell in a bucket.... but at least I'm enjoying the ride!
Re: Oregon [Re: SeaFoamGreen] #2069260
07/05/13 02:56 PM
07/05/13 02:56 PM
PNW
B
bruddahkine Offline
Miki Dora status
bruddahkine  Offline
Miki Dora status
B

PNW
Quote:

Funny vid Brudda.... esp the part about the IPAs and Voodo (Tourist Trap!) Guy must not skate thou. We like our pools in that regard.

Personally I like Seattle and dont mind Starbucks either, but I'm no native. Less hipsters and way more diversity up there. Better cheap beer as well; Rainer, Oly, etc Also, like the fact its surrounded by salty water. Further from the surf, but honestly not by much. Closer to way better shredding than Hood or Flatch. Geographically coastline is way more diversified as well, but thats all I am gonna say bout that... Really not much of a comparison other than geographic proximity. Big city vs. large town. But yeah Portland is cool, too cool.

funny. I live in neither and don't really love either city so I have no skin in that game. I do think Seattle is too full of yuppies who think their poop doesn't smell for me to ever live there. The Portland hipsters are annoying but I prefer that to the delta bravos that seem to be everywhere in Seattle.

Funniest part of that little video is the comments section on the youtube page where the Seattle clowns are all missing the joke.

Re: Oregon [Re: bruddahkine] #2069261
07/19/13 03:30 PM
07/19/13 03:30 PM
San Francisco, CA
M
Mr Doof Offline
Duke status
Mr Doof  Offline
Duke status
M

San Francisco, CA
Quote:

Funniest part of that little video is the comments section on the youtube page where the Seattle clowns are all missing the joke.

Re: Oregon [Re: Mr Doof] #2069262
07/31/13 02:59 PM
07/31/13 02:59 PM
Gig Harbor
S
shiver_me_timbers Offline
Phil Edwards status
shiver_me_timbers  Offline
Phil Edwards status
S

Gig Harbor
drive an hour east and take some kiteboarding lessons in Hood River. I moved here June 1 and have been kiting a ton. Its not surfing, but its time on the water and the river gets some swell (wind swell fighting the current makes for some angry water). I have discovered an entirely new definition of "leg burner" sessions with kiting. 2 hours and my legs are smoked! Added bonus: you can sit in the river all day and not worry about anything eating you.

"Not what we have but what we enjoy, constitutes our abundance." - John Petit-Senn
Re: Oregon [Re: Mr Doof] #2069263
08/05/13 03:10 PM
08/05/13 03:10 PM
San Francisco, CA
M
Mr Doof Offline
Duke status
Mr Doof  Offline
Duke status
M

San Francisco, CA
And in a bit of cosmic serendipity, we're headed to Oregon this Wednesday.

Looks like Q-surf will be out of town for the first leg of the trip, then family duties fills up the rest, except for maybe Sunday midmorning...gonna see if I can get all the nieces and nephews all the way to the back to Oneonta Falls. If not, will swim to Ross Island from Willamette Park.

Re: Oregon [Re: Mr Doof] #2069264
08/10/13 02:44 AM
08/10/13 02:44 AM
Gig Harbor
S
Phil Edwards status
Phil Edwards status
S

Gig Harbor
does that mean swimming in the Willlammette? Heard that is worse than Tijuana after a rain storm.

"Not what we have but what we enjoy, constitutes our abundance." - John Petit-Senn
Re: Oregon [Re: shiver_me_timbers] #2069265
08/10/13 09:34 PM
08/10/13 09:34 PM
Tower 13
S
silentbutdeadly Online content
Duke status
silentbutdeadly  Online Content
Duke status
S

Tower 13
AVT

Meet up with SMT. He's good people.

You can trust me, I'm from the internet

"The size / dimensions don't matter. What does matter is that it's flammable. Because you should set it on fire and get a real surfboard" Witchipoo
Re: Oregon [Re: silentbutdeadly] #2069266
08/11/13 05:51 AM
08/11/13 05:51 AM
Santa Cruz, CA
A
avt__ Offline OP
Gerry Lopez status
avt__  Offline OP
Gerry Lopez status
A

Santa Cruz, CA
Quote:

AVT

Too late.. already back.

Didn't even get to surf while in Oregon - the board I had ordered & planned on getting shipped up there didn't get glassed in time due to unexpected delays.

Lots of good bike rides, though - so, while being inland really sucked, at least I'm coming back from 2 months of no surfing feeling stronger / better endurance.

Re: Oregon [Re: ] #2069268
08/14/13 01:32 PM
08/14/13 01:32 PM
New Zealand
H
hang20 Offline
Grom
hang20  Offline
Grom
H

New Zealand
Lots of people paddle outrigger on the rivers.

Re: Oregon [Re: shiver_me_timbers] #2069269
08/15/13 03:18 PM
08/15/13 03:18 PM
San Francisco, CA
M
Mr Doof Offline
Duke status
Mr Doof  Offline
Duke status
M

San Francisco, CA
Quote:

does that mean swimming in the Willlammette? Heard that is worse than Tijuana after a rain storm.

I think TJ River would be worse.

But a lot depends on where one swims, how little water you imbibe whil swimming, and how fast you can rinse off.

-------------------------------

Since as early as 1869, with the introduction of a federally-funded "snag puller" designed to keep the waterway clear, human habitation has affected the ecology of the river basin. The construction of large federal dams on the Willamette's tributaries between 1941 and 1969 damaged the spawning grounds for spring Chinook salmon and steelhead trout. Domestic and industrial waste from the cities built up along the river, "essentially turning the main-stem river into an open sewer by the 1920s."[4]

A 1927 Portland City Club report labeled the waterway "filthy and ugly," and identified the City of Portland as the worst offender. The Oregon Anti-Stream Pollution League brought a pollution-abatement measure before the 39th Oregon Legislative Assembly in 1937. The bill passed, but Governor Charles Martin vetoed it. The Izaak Walton League and the Oregon Wildlife Federation countered the governor's veto with a ballot initiative, which passed in November 1938.[4]

Shortly after he was elected in 1966, Governor Tom McCall ordered water quality tests on the Willamette, conducted his own research on the water quality, and became head of the Oregon State Sanitary Authority. McCall learned that the river was heavily polluted in Portland. In a television documentary, "Pollution in Paradise", he said that "the Willamette River was actually cleaner when the Oregon Sanitary Authority was created in 1938 than it was in 1962."[71] He then discouraged tourism in the state and made it harder for companies to qualify for a permit to operate near the river. He also regulated how much those companies could pollute and closed plants that did not meet state pollution standards.[115][116]

Despite earlier cleanup efforts, state studies in the 1990s identified a wide variety of pollutants in the river bottom, including heavy metals, polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs), and pesticides along the lower 12 miles (19 km) of the river, in Portland.[117] As a result, this section of the river was designated a Superfund site in 2000,[118] involving the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) in cleanup of the river bottom.[119] The initial cleanup is focused on the portion between Swan Island and Sauvie Island.[120] Pollution is exacerbated by combined sewer overflows, which the city is greatly reducing through its Big Pipe Project.[121] Further upstream, the pressing environmental issues have mainly been variations in pH and dissolved oxygen.[122] The Willamette is nevertheless clean enough to be used by communities such as Tigard for drinking water.[123]

Since pollution concerns are primarily along the lower river, the Willamette in general scores relatively high on the Oregon Water Quality Index (OWQI), which is compiled by the Oregon Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ). The DEQ considers index scores of less than 60 to be very poor; the other categories are 6079 (poor); 8084 (fair); 8589 (good), and 90100 (excellent).[124] The Willamette River's water quality is rated excellent near the source, though it gradually declines to fair near the mouth. Between 1998 and 2007, the average score for the upper Willamette at Springfield (RM 185, RK 298) was 93. At Salem (RM 84, RK 135), the score was 89, and good scores continued all the way to the Hawthorne Bridge in Portland (RM 13, RK 21) at 85. Scores were in the "fair" category further downstream; the least favorable reading was at the Swan Island Channel midpoint (RM 0.5, RK 0.8) at 81. By comparison, sites on the Winchuck River, the Clackamas, and the North Santiam all scored 95, and a site at a pump station on Klamath Strait Drain between Upper Klamath Lake and Lower Klamath Lake recorded the lowest score in Oregon at 19.[125]
------------------------------

Anyways, there was no need to do more than wade in the Willamette as I was able to get nieces, nephews, brother, sister, and sweetie-pie in a lovely waterfall fed stream with endangered salamanders.

How goes the transistion to Hood River living? Liking the radionuclides from Handford in the Columbia? How is the apple harvest looking? Been to Lost Lake yet, or found that great swimming hole on the Hood R. with the waterfall by the basalt cliff and gravel beach a few miles from town?

Re: Oregon [Re: ] #2069271
08/21/13 03:54 PM
08/21/13 03:54 PM
Gig Harbor
S
Phil Edwards status
Phil Edwards status
S

Gig Harbor
Quote:

Quote:

AVT

I'll 2nd the motion here!! Neat guy! Lots of Aloha!! Met up last year at the Surf Museum for a function!

and we got PPK's truck stuck at the Hanalei rivermouth a few years back. nothing a few beers and shovels couldn't fix!

Re: Oregon [Re: Mr Doof] #2069272
08/21/13 08:44 PM
08/21/13 08:44 PM
C
cdes Offline
Nep status
cdes  Offline
Nep status
C

Quote:

Quote:

I think TJ River would be worse.

But a lot depends on where one swims, how little water you imbibe whil swimming, and how fast you can rinse off.

-------------------------------

Since as early as 1869, with the introduction of a federally-funded "snag puller" designed to keep the waterway clear, human habitation has affected the ecology of the river basin. The construction of large federal dams on the Willamette's tributaries between 1941 and 1969 damaged the spawning grounds for spring Chinook salmon and steelhead trout. Domestic and industrial waste from the cities built up along the river, "essentially turning the main-stem river into an open sewer by the 1920s."[4]

A 1927 Portland City Club report labeled the waterway "filthy and ugly," and identified the City of Portland as the worst offender. The Oregon Anti-Stream Pollution League brought a pollution-abatement measure before the 39th Oregon Legislative Assembly in 1937. The bill passed, but Governor Charles Martin vetoed it. The Izaak Walton League and the Oregon Wildlife Federation countered the governor's veto with a ballot initiative, which passed in November 1938.[4]

Shortly after he was elected in 1966, Governor Tom McCall ordered water quality tests on the Willamette, conducted his own research on the water quality, and became head of the Oregon State Sanitary Authority. McCall learned that the river was heavily polluted in Portland. In a television documentary, "Pollution in Paradise", he said that "the Willamette River was actually cleaner when the Oregon Sanitary Authority was created in 1938 than it was in 1962."[71] He then discouraged tourism in the state and made it harder for companies to qualify for a permit to operate near the river. He also regulated how much those companies could pollute and closed plants that did not meet state pollution standards.[115][116]

Despite earlier cleanup efforts, state studies in the 1990s identified a wide variety of pollutants in the river bottom, including heavy metals, polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs), and pesticides along the lower 12 miles (19 km) of the river, in Portland.[117] As a result, this section of the river was designated a Superfund site in 2000,[118] involving the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) in cleanup of the river bottom.[119] The initial cleanup is focused on the portion between Swan Island and Sauvie Island.[120] Pollution is exacerbated by combined sewer overflows, which the city is greatly reducing through its Big Pipe Project.[121] Further upstream, the pressing environmental issues have mainly been variations in pH and dissolved oxygen.[122] The Willamette is nevertheless clean enough to be used by communities such as Tigard for drinking water.[123]

Since pollution concerns are primarily along the lower river, the Willamette in general scores relatively high on the Oregon Water Quality Index (OWQI), which is compiled by the Oregon Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ). The DEQ considers index scores of less than 60 to be very poor; the other categories are 6079 (poor); 8084 (fair); 8589 (good), and 90100 (excellent).[124] The Willamette River's water quality is rated excellent near the source, though it gradually declines to fair near the mouth. Between 1998 and 2007, the average score for the upper Willamette at Springfield (RM 185, RK 298) was 93. At Salem (RM 84, RK 135), the score was 89, and good scores continued all the way to the Hawthorne Bridge in Portland (RM 13, RK 21) at 85. Scores were in the "fair" category further downstream; the least favorable reading was at the Swan Island Channel midpoint (RM 0.5, RK 0.8) at 81. By comparison, sites on the Winchuck River, the Clackamas, and the North Santiam all scored 95, and a site at a pump station on Klamath Strait Drain between Upper Klamath Lake and Lower Klamath Lake recorded the lowest score in Oregon at 19.[125]
------------------------------

Anyways, there was no need to do more than wade in the Willamette as I was able to get nieces, nephews, brother, sister, and sweetie-pie in a lovely waterfall fed stream with endangered salamanders.

How goes the transistion to Hood River living? Liking the radionuclides from Handford in the Columbia? How is the apple harvest looking? Been to Lost Lake yet, or found that great swimming hole on the Hood R. with the waterfall by the basalt cliff and gravel beach a few miles from town?

Interesting read. Always fun to find out more about your home. I was prepared to fight you on the Willamette to TJ comparison until I read your sources. Makes sense since I grew up near the upper Willamette, where it feeds the local water utilities and comes out of the tap cleaner than Evian.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32