REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Halo Fins by Takayama #2026798
02/06/13 03:27 AM
02/06/13 03:27 AM
Honolulu, Hawaii
_
_mAdNeSs_ Offline OP
Legend (inyourownmind)
_mAdNeSs_  Offline OP
Legend (inyourownmind)
_

Honolulu, Hawaii
Tried doing a search on dis topic but couldnt find it!?!

When they 1st came out i tried a thruster set up on my Cole Trunk board. It gave da board good drive for sure...just couldnt really get a square bottom turn off them. Kinda made it in between a twin & thruster feel.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone has tried them on a longboard, what combo used, & how it helped or didnt help?

Im not much of a longboarder but its been small in town so i picked up a really good deal on a brand new DT2 Takayama for $500 off craigslist. Ive tried board w/ da fins it came w/ (2+1) & it felt slow. Stopped by HawaiianSouthShore to check out Halos. They have a large selection

They were cool enough to demo me a set (4 1/8" sides & 7" cntr). I will give em go next few days.

But ya, there's seems to be a lot of different combos...i'd just like to get an idea of what others tried/experienced so i can narrow down choices to get da feel i want. Thanks!

\m/ shaka

\m/ shaka
Re: Halo Fins by Takayama [Re: _mAdNeSs_] #2026799
02/06/13 04:00 AM
02/06/13 04:00 AM
J
jettylocal Offline
Michael Peterson status
jettylocal  Offline
Michael Peterson status
J

It doesn't really answer your longboard question but the best day I've ever had surfing backside was with this setup. It did absolutely everything I could possibly do on a surfboard. Sadly though, I couldn't go right to save my life.

For longboarding, a bunch of my friends use them. Surfers that like loose boards seem to dig the halo's while others have told me they're too loose for them. Have fun!

Re: Halo Fins by Takayama [Re: jettylocal] #2026800
02/06/13 05:13 PM
02/06/13 05:13 PM
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
R
Retropete Offline
Miki Dora status
Retropete  Offline
Miki Dora status
R

Sunny Coast Qld Australia
If you'd used sides with half that size you would have been fine on your forehand.

Caution: excessive Kool Aid consumption may lead to a bitter aftertaste!
Re: Halo Fins by Takayama [Re: _mAdNeSs_] #2026801
02/06/13 05:48 PM
02/06/13 05:48 PM
O
oneula Offline
Michael Peterson status
oneula  Offline
Michael Peterson status
O

Quote:

Tried doing a search on dis topic but couldnt find it!?!

When they 1st came out i tried a thruster set up on my Cole Trunk board. It gave da board good drive for sure...just couldnt really get a square bottom turn off them. Kinda made it in between a twin & thruster feel.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone has tried them on a longboard, what combo used, & how it helped or didnt help?

Im not much of a longboarder but its been small in town so i picked up a really good deal on a brand new DT2 Takayama for $500 off craigslist. Ive tried board w/ da fins it came w/ (2+1) & it felt slow. Stopped by HawaiianSouthShore to check out Halos. They have a large selection

They were cool enough to demo me a set (4 1/8" sides & 7" cntr). I will give em go next few days.

But ya, there's seems to be a lot of different combos...i'd just like to get an idea of what others tried/experienced so i can narrow down choices to get da feel i want. Thanks!

\m/ shaka

bought the 4.5 thruster set when they first came out with the a couple of the smaller ones to use as as sides bites and quad backs. Rode the them as thrusters and quads and side bites. Okay, nothing to write home to mom about.

Bought the twin set after talking to dave on day as he was all psyched on it with a small trailer. okay but the same as the others.

I hate to admit it but I actually rode the quad set up on my Griffin fish (blasphemy) and it rode really well until I came out of the water and one of the boys told me I had put them on backwards. (Funny thing is that I actually liked them better like that/you should try it)

anyway i know some pretty good longboarders who really like his 7" center fin with the small halo sidebites. Kind of reminds me of my squirrel fins and greenough hatchets.

you should also try out those rainbow speedfins(cheap) as sidebites. I really like those fins.

waSUPcuz? shaka ala n da mooleh bulls..
Re: Halo Fins by Takayama [Re: _mAdNeSs_] #2026802
02/06/13 10:40 PM
02/06/13 10:40 PM
Honolulu, Hawaii
_
_mAdNeSs_ Offline OP
Legend (inyourownmind)
_mAdNeSs_  Offline OP
Legend (inyourownmind)
_

Honolulu, Hawaii
Interesting...thanks for feedback! Please keep em coming...

\m/ shaka

\m/ shaka
Re: Halo Fins by Takayama [Re: _mAdNeSs_] #2026803
02/07/13 12:29 AM
02/07/13 12:29 AM
Del Mar, CA
F
FishFace Offline
Miki Dora status
FishFace  Offline
Miki Dora status
F

Del Mar, CA
I have a quad set that I got from HI south shore.

Never tried the longboard setup but I know a few takayama riders that LOVE the halos.

Re: Halo Fins by Takayama [Re: _mAdNeSs_] #2026804
02/07/13 04:20 AM
02/07/13 04:20 AM
S
sakana_kid Offline
Gerry Lopez status
sakana_kid  Offline
Gerry Lopez status
S

I rode a 2 + 1 setup on my 9'0". It did make the board super loose, but lost a lot of the drive I get using my other fins. I didn't attempt to move the center fin back for more drive and ended up selling them.