REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Booties and Gloves thread #1970686
09/24/12 01:04 AM
09/24/12 01:04 AM
PNW
A
Aruka Offline OP
Miki Dora status
Aruka  Offline OP
Miki Dora status
A

PNW
Winter is coming and the wetsuit questions are popping up. For some this means the booties and/or gloves are coming out as well. For me it's just business as usual. Actually, I'm looking forward to the water warming up a bit as it does each here each winter. Regardless I wear the full getup (boots, gloves, hood and earplugs) about 99% of the time.

For reference I get cold easily and I surf quite a bit. Summer is slow for waves here some times but most of the time I probably get 5-10 sessions a week. 2-5 hours per session. I go through 2 or 3 wetties a year.

I've tried quite a few different brands/models of booties/gloves so I thought I'd review a few of the more recent ones. Please add your own experiences, thoughts and snarky comments.

Oneill mutant 6/5/4 internal split-toe booties:

These booties were fine at first, kept my feet warm for a couple months and then they started leaking pretty bad. Fit was narrow which I actually liked but for some it will be a problem. Traction seemed okay on wax but horribly slippery on dry grass. Almost died running down to the beach at a few different spots. Velcro closure at top made getting them on and off super easy and also destroyed the internal fleece of my wetsuit, not worth it. Overall I was not super stoked on these.

Xcel Drylock 5mm Split Toe Booties:

These were my go-to bootie for a long time. The fit is just right for me and for a 5mm they are pretty warm. I tried the non-drylock version but they did not keep my feet as warm so to me it was worth paying the extra. They do not last forever and after about 6 months of my surfing habits they usually start to leak and 9 months in it's time for something new. The pull loop on the heel is just for show so don't be surprised if it rips out when you yank hard on it. There is a reason most people in my area are still wearing Xcel booties, whether it's these or the 7mm round-toe. Overall they are pretty good.

Hotline 7mm Internal Round Toe Booties

I've always liked split-toe booties because they keep my foot from sliding around inside the bootie itself. The problem is that the thickest split-toe booties I could find were only 5mm. When I saw these I was pretty excited and quickly ordered a pair. A dry fitting had them feeling pretty good on my feet, not too tight or loose, I thought. A few minutes of surfing and the things were ballooning full of water, making it very hard to surf. It got so bad I paddled in and threw on an old pair of Xcel's to finish out my session. The hotlines did not have any sort of strap to cinch them down and prevent the ballooning. Luckily the guy at my favorite online surf shop was understanding and let me exchange them for a different brand. Maybe for someone with different feet it would not be a problem although I've noticed the newer Hotline's have a strap now. Hotlines website seems to indicate you should order a size down, which I did not although like I said they felt good on the length and I couldn't imagine going a full size down.

Quicksilver Cypher 7.5mm Round Toe Booties:

These were my first pair of round toes in a long time and the reason I felt like they might work for my slim foot is that they have a strap that starts low on the bootie and zig-zags up to the top, allowing you to cinch the whole bootie up tightly. Fit was true to size although there is definitely some room for a wider foot. The strap works great at keeping the booties snug but after some use I did have to cut out a chunk of strap to shorten it up so that I could still get them nice and tight. My first pair were not cheap (like $75 I think) but I found them on sale recently and bought a backup pair. They are my favorite booties at this point. First pair is still holding strong after six months they although they are starting to leak a little.

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: Aruka] #1970687
09/24/12 01:17 AM
09/24/12 01:17 AM
Rbeach
R
rowjimmytour Offline
Miki Dora status
rowjimmytour  Offline
Miki Dora status
R

Rbeach
great info for all those brave souls in southern Ca who dare the cold w/ only a 4/3 booties and hood

There's a time to shit and a time for God
The last shit I took was pretty fooking' odd!
Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: Aruka] #1970688
09/24/12 01:23 AM
09/24/12 01:23 AM
world's largest oregon
Q
Q_Surf Offline
Duke status
Q_Surf  Offline
Duke status
Q

world's largest oregon
yeah the qs cyphlis were my last pair i finally just replaced. i like em better than any others i've had.

but i replaced em with patagucci 5mm wool lined (on sale tactics) - my hopes are that i won't have to buy another pair for a while... the velcro strap was too short to reach over flintstonian foot so i had my gf add an extension. only had em for 2wks but so far so good.

i've never had gloves i liked until i got these bargain-brand: hyperflex "access" 3.0mm

Nature's finest transportation
><((((>
Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: Q_Surf] #1970689
09/24/12 01:56 AM
09/24/12 01:56 AM
PNW
A
Aruka Offline OP
Miki Dora status
Aruka  Offline OP
Miki Dora status
A

PNW
Gloves

A common mistake is getting gloves that feel good in the shop and then after a session or two you've got balloon hands. If you're getting 5mm mitts or something they're not going to stretch a lot but the thinner they are the more they will stretch so make sure they're a little snug. I don't have tiny hands but I usually go for a size medium and they are pretty tight at first but within a few sessions they're fine.

Quicksilver Cypher 3mm These ones are made out of the same stuff as the Cypher booties but I think the material is less suited to gloves. Not flexible enough and kind of tight on the fingers which is unusual for someone with hands as slender as I. Still, they held up better than some others.

Rip Curl F-Bomb 3mm These are what I'm currently wearing and so far I like them. They are flexible and warmer than the Cypher's. There is a little extra room in the palm but it has not yet been a problem. They don't have great grip on the board at first and I had to rub them on my waxy board to get remedy that. They are all smoothie skin so I don't expect them to last very long but most gloves don't. I got two pairs of these for super cheap and that is probably a factor in my liking them.

Matuse Shabo Glove 2.5mm Oh man, sliding into these for the first time was glorious. Buttery smooth and excellent fit. Nice tight and long shank, which for me is a bonus since my suit's are rarely quite as long as I'd like. Good grip on the fingers and palm. Warm enough at first but the lack of fleece liner meant as soon as they started leaking it was pretty much over. Wore holes in the fingers within a few months and then they were trash. These were NOT cheap. If I found the 4mm version on sale I might try them but overall the value is just not there.

Rip Curl Flash Bomb 3mm Having worn the F-Bombs I figured these would fit the same but a size M Flash Bomb was noticeably looser than the F-Bomb. I'm not sure if they are different models or the Flash Bomb is the newer version or what but the flashbomb has the quick drying liner which I really liked. It really sucks trying to pull on sticky, wet gloves for the afternoon session and the flash bombs were always dry enough to slide on easily. The downside is they didn't last very long. Wore right through the gummy fingertips in about three months.

Xcel Drylock 3mm Like most Xcel products, these are pretty toasty warm. They've got nice grip and they have some rubber ridges around the wrist to theoretically keep your wetsuit from riding up. I used to get a bro deal on these so I've had a few pairs and I never wore through the rubber like I do with some brands. The place that failed was always on the palm side of the wrist where all the seams come together. The seams would eventually split apart but at least it was something that could be repaired. 4 months, maybe 5 and they were toast. Not cheap if you buy retail but they discount them heavily online sometimes.

Patagonia R3 3mm I got these when they first came out, maybe two years ago. The fit was a little odd, kind of short in the fingers. Not very flexible but warm. Felt thicker than other 3mm gloves. The wrist openings were really wide and the shank seemed short, again pretty odd. The smoothy on the shank was really slippery against my wetsuit cuff and my suit kept wanting to slide up, a problem that I had not been having before I got these gloves. Second session the palm seam started separating. Patagonia wanted me to send them for repairs but I was over it, managed to get the surf shop to exchange them for a different brand. A friend of mine has this years model and they are holding up well for him so grain of salt and all that.

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: Aruka] #1970690
09/24/12 02:53 AM
09/24/12 02:53 AM
Oceanside
R
ReefTeef Offline
Michael Peterson status
ReefTeef  Offline
Michael Peterson status
R

Oceanside
If I am not barefoot this winter I'll have a pair of 3mm Ninjas on my feet. They are like $30, thin sole and as basic as it gets. They keep my feet warm enough and I love feeling the board under my feet and not tripping over my toes in a clunky boot.

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: Aruka] #1970691
09/25/12 12:39 AM
09/25/12 12:39 AM
Cold and Sharky
A
aqua_fortis Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
aqua_fortis  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
A

Cold and Sharky
Nice thread...I like.

Have a ~year-old pair of Rip Curl 5mil Flashbomb booties that I really liked, were warm, but I've noticed the Flashbomb neoprene seems less durable than even the E-Bomb material. They've ripped in a couple places up on the ankle cuff where I tend to pull on them getting them on.

Also have a pair of Quik Cypher 5mil booties that developed a leak after about six months wearing them. When new they were warm, and fit well, also like the cross straps that allow one to snug them up across the entire top of the arch. Major drawback to me is that I find them very heavy - maybe a trade off because of the sturdy sole material that wraps nicely around the toes, heel and sides of the foot - great for those of us who do some reef and cobble point excursions.

Haven't had a pair of Xcel Drylocks in many years, but am thinking to try them again if I find they fit well.

Was at the Oneill "mothership" store in Santa Cruz recently and the new Psychofreaks are incorporating the first ever arch support in a bootie. Whoowie, sounds like a gimmick, but could be comfortable...? Given how little time most surfers spend on their feet, relative to overall time during a session, it seems to be kind of a silly new design feature.

Nice to get some feed back on those pricey Matuse gloves. Saw them last winter in the Wise SF shop and they looked very slick, but noticed the concentric ring material on the palms didn't look very grippy, and the cuffs didn't seem to go far up the wrist - which made me think they would be more susceptible to taking on water, especially if the geoprene stretched out.

Keep the reviews coming...winter is close.

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: aqua_fortis] #1970692
09/25/12 07:28 AM
09/25/12 07:28 AM
flatMed
L
lorcar Offline
Gerry Lopez status
lorcar  Offline
Gerry Lopez status
L

flatMed
Quote:

Was at the Oneill "mothership" store in Santa Cruz recently and the new Psychofreaks are incorporating the first ever arch support in a bootie. Whoowie, sounds like a gimmick, but could be comfortable...?

http://www.oneill.com/#/men/europe/colle..._3.5mm_1/black/

nice to see other brands are using a similar Drylock seal for ankles/wrists, it works pretty terrific on my Xcel
http://www.oneill.com/#/men/europe/colle..._654mm_1/black/

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: Aruka] #1970693
09/25/12 08:32 PM
09/25/12 08:32 PM
NorOR
S
SeaFoamGreen Offline
Nep status
SeaFoamGreen  Offline
Nep status
S

NorOR
Been wearing these: Hotline 7mm and 5mmm Internal Round Toe Booties for over 20 years now surfing mostly OR and some time NorCal. I size down at least 1.5 and although never had the balloning issue they now have a strap across the top. Super durrable, last 3-5 years and great for rock walks. Bought some Xcell's once and they sucked.

Gloves Xcell's 1.5. Only wear gloves from about late Nov to March and although they aren't the most durrable, 1.5mm is about all I want to wear. Luckily I run pretty hot thou, so they work with a few holes. I can usually get away with a hoodless 4mm from just about May to Oct.

May be going to hell in a bucket.... but at least I'm enjoying the ride!
Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: SeaFoamGreen] #1970694
09/26/12 12:41 AM
09/26/12 12:41 AM
PNW
A
Aruka Offline OP
Miki Dora status
Aruka  Offline OP
Miki Dora status
A

PNW
you're lucky up there the water actually warms up in the summer although I doubt my skinny a$$ would be rocking a hoodless 4/3 regardless, brrrr.

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: Aruka] #1970695
12/20/12 12:30 AM
12/20/12 12:30 AM
The OC Life
H
Havoc Offline
Tom Curren status
Havoc  Offline
Tom Curren status
H

The OC Life
just picked up a pair of the ripcurl flash bomb booties. I'm a 9-9.5 and got the 9's. Have a pair of o'neil pyscho 3mil boots in size 8 and they feel too small. flashbomb feel really good in the store, see how they go in the surf this week hopefully.

btw, anyone know how u wanna size those o'neill ninjas? go down 1 size?

"motions of rippage is initated by the hind leg"-Northern_Shores
"Lemme know. I got endson gas"-20W
Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: Havoc] #1970696
12/20/12 12:54 AM
12/20/12 12:54 AM
PNW
A
Aruka Offline OP
Miki Dora status
Aruka  Offline OP
Miki Dora status
A

PNW
Dunno about the Ninja booties. I always try to size stuff snug but if they're squeezing too tight they won't keep you warm.

Ended up buying a pair of the Patagonia r4 wool booties to alternate with my Cyphers. So far they're okay. Warm and decent fit but the velcro strap is lame and sometimes comes undone. Time will tell if they're worth the extra bucks but at this point I'm doubtful.

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: Havoc] #1970697
12/20/12 12:57 AM
12/20/12 12:57 AM
N
nightfly Offline
Michael Peterson status
nightfly  Offline
Michael Peterson status
N

Like the low end Rip Curl classic round toes in 3mm and 7mm. Not great but they work.

Have a pair of Billabong 5mils with internal split toe (always resisted the split toe because they never felt right). The internal isn't bad but my last session in water in high 40s, my first toe got cold which makes me think round toe is the way to go for me. But hard to find in the more high end models.

Took a look at some of the new dipped booties today as I was cruising around some shops but honestly they all looked like they would rip pretty quickly unless you are very careful. Putting on boots when you are anxious to surf or taking them off with cold hands has had me ripping more than a few pairs of boots as it is.

Would love a pair of tight fitting round toes with a nice strap.

Gloves suck any way you slice it. I've got 3mil, 5mil and 7 mil Xcels. They are fine but while I don't mind booties, I really hate gloves. The 7 mil lobster claw Xcels though are the best I've had.

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: Havoc] #1970698
12/20/12 02:13 AM
12/20/12 02:13 AM
G
ghostshaper Offline
Miki Dora status
ghostshaper  Offline
Miki Dora status
G

Quote:

just picked up a pair of the ripcurl flash bomb booties. I'm a 9-9.5 and got the 9's. Have a pair of o'neil pyscho 3mil boots in size 8 and they feel too small. flashbomb feel really good in the store, see how they go in the surf this week hopefully.

btw, anyone know how u wanna size those o'neill ninjas? go down 1 size?

I wear 10.5 and bought 10s in the ninjas. Good, tight fit.

Organized competition is entirely peripheral to surfing qua surfing. People surf for love. - William Finnegan
Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: Havoc] #1970699
12/20/12 05:45 AM
12/20/12 05:45 AM
UK
P
prjwebb Offline
Michael Peterson status
prjwebb  Offline
Michael Peterson status
P

UK
I picked up the flashbomb booties last year. After one winter they were leaky and cold. I'm going to squeeze another winter out of them but wouldn't recommend them to anyone else.

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: prjwebb] #1970700
12/20/12 06:25 AM
12/20/12 06:25 AM
K
KPindaOC Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
KPindaOC  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
K

Liking my strapless 1.5mm E-Bomb booties. Nice and snug all around and super flexy. Can curl my toes. Very grippy.

Best part, they put on and take off pretty easily so maybe they'll last a bit.

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: KPindaOC] #1970701
12/20/12 07:07 AM
12/20/12 07:07 AM
O
ovrevik Offline
Gerry Lopez status
ovrevik  Offline
Gerry Lopez status
O

The water temp has dropped down to 36 f here right now.. That's unusually cold for this time of the year. Was caught of guard and hadn't ordered a new pair of winter booties. Only had 3mm and needles to say been freezing on my feet the last couple of weeks..until i slipped on a thin wool sock. Surfed for two hours without getting cold. Was fine even when i had to crawl through slush and ice back to my car. Way more comfy than thick winter booties, cheaper and probably warmer.. My biggest discovery so far this year.. Thinking of getting a thin, slim one piece in wool and a good 3mm suit.. Hmmm..

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: prjwebb] #1970702
12/21/12 03:27 AM
12/21/12 03:27 AM
The OC Life
H
Havoc Offline
Tom Curren status
Havoc  Offline
Tom Curren status
H

The OC Life
Quote:

I picked up the flashbomb booties last year. After one winter they were leaky and cold. I'm going to squeeze another winter out of them but wouldn't recommend them to anyone else.

while being super comfy, toebox being roomy, these flashbomb booties leak like crazy compared to the o'neil. lengthwise, at a size 9, they're similar to an o'neil. volume is slightly bigger so that may be why. I'm in between sizes on o'neil. o'neil 8 feels too big. ripcurl 9 feels good lengthwise, but too much volume. damn, hard to find ones that fit. i'll try my ninjas which I think may be the magic ticket.

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: Havoc] #1970703
12/21/12 04:51 AM
12/21/12 04:51 AM
M
MACFISH Offline
Gerry Lopez status
MACFISH  Offline
Gerry Lopez status
M

picked up quiks cypher 3mm after using o'neill for years. my pair prior to the quiks were xcel drylock. cypher are warm, do not leak yet; however, I think the xcel fit a little more snug. the quiks have regular ankle strap as they were redesigned recently and internal split toe. Some water gets in over time but it's coming from the top not the seams, but not to the level of sloshing; chalking it up to skinny ankles, drylocks were about the same. I am also the guy wearing one boot in the summer too because of a bad injury to my foot. For some reason, the right boot wears out before the left?
One thing I will say about the cyphers is they do not stink even one tenth as bad as the xcels. Time will tell on longevity of cyphers. I wear 9.5 shoe and since no 1/2 sizes I get a 9 in xcel, quik or oneill. Lengthwise fit is all the same to me but I think the cyphers are slighty bigger in foot and toe box. YMMV.

..ready to crash and burn, I never learn.....
Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: MACFISH] #1970704
12/21/12 11:33 AM
12/21/12 11:33 AM
M
mar123 Offline
Nep status
mar123  Offline
Nep status
M

any feedback on xcel "dipped" booties? realize they are fairly new so not expecting durability analysis, but does the dipped rubber make a difference for warmth?

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: mar123] #1970705
12/21/12 11:37 AM
12/21/12 11:37 AM
Maine
J
jp30surf Offline
Billy Hamilton status
jp30surf  Offline
Billy Hamilton status
J

Maine
I have the dipped Ripcurl 5mm boots. They have the weight of a 3mm boot, but the warmth of a 5mm boot. I've only had them for a month so I can't speak for the durability of them, but they are warm and light and I can really feel my board, which is nice.

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: jp30surf] #1970706
12/24/12 11:09 PM
12/24/12 11:09 PM
The OC Life
H
Havoc Offline
Tom Curren status
Havoc  Offline
Tom Curren status
H

The OC Life
Quote:

I have the dipped Ripcurl 5mm boots. They have the weight of a 3mm boot, but the warmth of a 5mm boot. I've only had them for a month so I can't speak for the durability of them, but they are warm and light and I can really feel my board, which is nice.

i should've gotten a pair of those instead of the flashbombs. the flashbombs leak like crazy.

just picked up a pair of 3mil xcel drylock booties. felt super good. should be more watertight than the ripcurls.

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: Aruka] #1970707
12/28/12 01:54 PM
12/28/12 01:54 PM
AK
A
alaskasurfer Offline
Billy Hamilton status
alaskasurfer  Offline
Billy Hamilton status
A

AK
My Rip Curl dipped booties just ripped out, 1 1/2 to 2 months of use, not going that route again...

There is a rapture on the lonely shore,
There is society where none intrudes,
By the deep sea, with music in its roar.

Lord Byron
Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: Aruka] #1970708
12/28/12 05:51 PM
12/28/12 05:51 PM
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
F
FourierT Offline
Grom
FourierT  Offline
Grom
F

Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
Wore Rip Curl 3mm split toes for ages, but switched to Xcel Drylock round toe last year and love them. Warm and good board feel despit the round toe, and my toes are more comfortable without the split.

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: FourierT] #1970709
12/28/12 06:05 PM
12/28/12 06:05 PM
NorOR
S
SeaFoamGreen Offline
Nep status
SeaFoamGreen  Offline
Nep status
S

NorOR
The neo fondue seems like a funny gimmick to me?

I have had several sessions in Patagucci R4 split toes. Not super comfy, for my feet at least, but warm. Usually wear a 7mill and these are 5mill with the wool lining. Nice board feel as they are thin, but wondering how they will hold up after rock walks. Definite seepage as you enter the water, but they heat up quick. Really like the R2 gloves, 1.5 lined with wool as well.

Still the 7mill Hotline Split toes are the most comfortable booties I have ever had. They just fit my feet well. At little thick board-feel-wise but durable and cushy for rock walks. Not sure why I bought into the cool aid, but wanted to try something new and got 20% off.

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: alaskasurfer] #1970710
12/28/12 07:55 PM
12/28/12 07:55 PM
The OC Life
H
Havoc Offline
Tom Curren status
Havoc  Offline
Tom Curren status
H

The OC Life
Quote:

My Rip Curl dipped booties just ripped out, 1 1/2 to 2 months of use, not going that route again...

saw a pair that was ripped from someone trying them on. they need to dip them with neoprene that is double sided bonded to nylon.

anyways, flashbomb boots were a waste of $$. leaky and cold. wish I could take them back.

on a brighter note, xcel drylock booties are da bomb! thanks retodd for the advice. perfect fit for me in a size 9. my foot size is 9.5 w/ high arch. could've saved myself some $$ if I just got a pair of these from the get go.

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: Havoc] #1970711
12/28/12 08:13 PM
12/28/12 08:13 PM
UK
P
prjwebb Offline
Michael Peterson status
prjwebb  Offline
Michael Peterson status
P

UK
Yeah the flashbombs aren't really up to par. I'm tempted to try the Patagonia wool lined booties but they are way too expensive here...

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: ovrevik] #1970712
12/29/12 11:20 PM
12/29/12 11:20 PM
P
pee_pee Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
pee_pee  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
P

whoa-great idea on the wool socks under booties! not cold enough where I am for this but I could see how this would work (my patagonia r2 is super warm due to wool-but heavy-probably not as much a factor with booties though).

When Nike came into surfing I thought for sure they'd come up with some great booty product-with the footwear synergy and everything-might even have gained them real organic credibility within the surf world-instead they tried to sell tshirts and trunks.

Quote:

The water temp has dropped down to 36 f here right now.. That's unusually cold for this time of the year. Was caught of guard and hadn't ordered a new pair of winter booties. Only had 3mm and needles to say been freezing on my feet the last couple of weeks..until i slipped on a thin wool sock. Surfed for two hours without getting cold. Was fine even when i had to crawl through slush and ice back to my car. Way more comfy than thick winter booties, cheaper and probably warmer.. My biggest discovery so far this year.. Thinking of getting a thin, slim one piece in wool and a good 3mm suit.. Hmmm..

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: Havoc] #1970713
12/30/12 01:12 AM
12/30/12 01:12 AM
LI,NY/ TI,NC
K
kdropin Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
kdropin  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
K

LI,NY/ TI,NC
Quote:

Quote:

saw a pair that was ripped from someone trying them on. they need to dip them with neoprene that is double sided bonded to nylon.

anyways, flashbomb boots were a waste of $$. leaky and cold. wish I could take them back.

on a brighter note, xcel drylock booties are da bomb! thanks retodd for the advice. perfect fit for me in a size 9. my foot size is 9.5 w/ high arch. could've saved myself some $$ if I just got a pair of these from the get go.

theres a reason why ne surfers primarily rock xcel

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: kdropin] #1970714
12/30/12 01:23 AM
12/30/12 01:23 AM
Oceanside, CA
O
Oceanslide Offline
Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oceanslide  Offline
Rabbitt Bartholomew status
O

Oceanside, CA
I have Xcel drylocks and they are very comfy and barely notice
them when up and surfing. I don't think any boot will keep
from leaking for a long period of time if you flip them
inside out regularly to dry. The sheer pressure put on those
seems when flipping them in and out has to wear them down...
unless you don't mind the serious funk that come with
keeping the insides damp.

For those that like to talk $hit about wearing booties
in SoCal, blow me. When the air is 37 degrees, even if the
water doesn't require booties at 59ish, it makes the walk
to and from the water bearable. It's been farking COLD
the last few days and I can still feel my feet (not hands)
when I get to my car.

"Surfing reminds us of how good life is."
Oceansliding
Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: rowjimmytour] #1970715
12/30/12 01:26 AM
12/30/12 01:26 AM
HB, CA
I
ifallalot Offline
Duke status
ifallalot  Offline
Duke status
I

HB, CA
Quote:

great info for all those brave souls in southern Ca who dare the cold w/ only a 4/3 booties and hood

The air was cold asfuck this morning. I half wished I had my 5/4/3 hooded in the car instead of the garage UNTIL I got in the water. The water feels balmy compared to where I grew up. And I've lived here nearly 3 years so I should be acclimated by now

Anyway, good thread for those who live in cold places and/or wear booties and such in not-so-cold places

My entire existence is a failed gotcha
Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: ifallalot] #1970716
01/05/13 03:26 PM
01/05/13 03:26 PM
UK
P
prjwebb Offline
Michael Peterson status
prjwebb  Offline
Michael Peterson status
P

UK
Picked up Patagonia R2 gloves today. Sizing is a litte odd as already mentioned in this thread. Short fingers, even the large were short in the fingers. I bought them tight expecting them to give a little. We'll see how they go.

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: prjwebb] #1970717
01/06/13 12:25 AM
01/06/13 12:25 AM
CA
G
gkl68 Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
gkl68  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
G

CA
I bought Oneill's SL gloves recently and they ripped so quickly. Same experience as this review http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2009/08/14/review-oneill-sl-glo.html

Oneill staff also said they have a lot of problems with that model and recommended Psycho so I bought a pair of those now. We'll see..

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: gkl68] #1970718
01/06/13 01:11 AM
01/06/13 01:11 AM
CA
G
gkl68 Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
gkl68  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
G

CA
Quote:

I bought Oneill's SL gloves recently and they ripped so quickly. Same experience as this review http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2009/08/14/review-oneill-sl-glo.html

Oneill staff also said they have a lot of problems with that model and recommended Psycho so I bought a pair of those now. We'll see..

These are the ones I got: http://www.boylos.co.uk/blog/oneill-psycho-gloves-review/
They feel good so far

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: gkl68] #1970719
01/06/13 11:36 PM
01/06/13 11:36 PM
CA
G
gkl68 Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
gkl68  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
G

CA
The psycho gloves are awesome. Has more grip and more flex than the SL's. Waves were good today but after a couple hrs my buddy's hands were too cold and had to go in - said he wished he had my gloves. As Jack says, it does let you surf longer.

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: gkl68] #1970720
01/06/13 11:46 PM
01/06/13 11:46 PM
NJ
S
surfer57 Offline
Michael Peterson status
surfer57  Offline
Michael Peterson status
S

NJ
Picked up a pair for 5mm Patagonia 5 fingers last week for a 6 mile paddle this weekend. Hands were very warm the whole race. Now if there was a way to figure out how to keep my feet warm we all would have been way more stoked, 7mm boots didn't do anything.

Formerly SurfCityNJ, I'm back
Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: surfer57] #1970721
01/07/13 05:36 AM
01/07/13 05:36 AM
UK
P
prjwebb Offline
Michael Peterson status
prjwebb  Offline
Michael Peterson status
P

UK
Quote:

Picked up a pair for 5mm Patagonia 5 fingers last week for a 6 mile paddle this weekend. Hands were very warm the whole race. Now if there was a way to figure out how to keep my feet warm we all would have been way more stoked, 7mm boots didn't do anything.

Yeah I used my R2 gloves for the first time yesterday. Hands were VERY warm. Definitely don't need to go thicker unless you're dealing with ice bergs.
Didn't get that balloon hand feeling I've had in the past with other gloves either. Next year I'm trying the R3 boots...

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: Aruka] #1970722
01/07/13 12:23 PM
01/07/13 12:23 PM
S
saltyNuts Offline
Billy Hamilton status
saltyNuts  Offline
Billy Hamilton status
S

Ive had these boots for about 2-3yrs. I wore them no more than a handful of sessions. Then I cut my toe pretty bad. I wear them alot now...and I really like them. I thought I wasnt gonna be able to feel my board, but they feel great. With this cold winter weather, they perform really well.

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: saltyNuts] #1970723
01/23/13 03:20 AM
01/23/13 03:20 AM
PNW
A
Aruka Offline OP
Miki Dora status
Aruka  Offline OP
Miki Dora status
A

PNW
Update on the Patagonia booties (they're actually R5, not R4 as I said before):

They pretty much suck. Velcro strap stopped holding after only a little while, not that it does much when it's closed. Mostly though they just are just not keeping my feet warm now and it's only been two months since I bought them, one of which I didn't use them because I was in mex.

Just ordered 7 mil flashbombs although it sounds as though that may have been a mistake...

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: Aruka] #1970724
01/23/13 03:32 AM
01/23/13 03:32 AM
The OC Life
H
Havoc Offline
Tom Curren status
Havoc  Offline
Tom Curren status
H

The OC Life
xcel drylock hands down best for me. size 9 fits perfectly. I'm in between sizes on o'neil which are really awesome as well.

ripcurl flashbombs flat out suck. leaked from day 1.

I tore the toe on one of my drylocks and now use 1 o'neil psycho bootie and one drylock on the other foot.

any good wetsuit rubber for repair? hold goes all the way through and leaks water. damn, did that after only 3 sessions.

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: Havoc] #1970725
01/23/13 03:36 AM
01/23/13 03:36 AM
Nothin' But Civility!
V
VanHook Offline
Miki Dora status
VanHook  Offline
Miki Dora status
V

Nothin' But Civility!
And here I was hoping that a "booties and gloves" image search would turn up something more interesting.

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: VanHook] #1970726
01/24/13 09:45 PM
01/24/13 09:45 PM
PNW
A
Aruka Offline OP
Miki Dora status
Aruka  Offline OP
Miki Dora status
A

PNW
the wool sock thing is great if your booties get a little stretched out and they want to fold under in the front or fill with water. definitely a good way to prolong the life of an older pair of booties.

now what I want is a full body merino jumpsuit to wear under my wetsuit in the summer when the water temp is mid 40's, it's windy and there's 15 min waits between sets.

got my flashbomb 7 mil boots today and out of the box I'm not super impressed. for the price they just don't appear to be very well constructed. fit is good though and I like the thought of a quicker drying bootie. debating on whether to send them back or not.

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: Aruka] #1970727
01/25/13 05:21 AM
01/25/13 05:21 AM
UK
P
prjwebb Offline
Michael Peterson status
prjwebb  Offline
Michael Peterson status
P

UK
I'd send them back. I don't rate my FB booties and I have several friends with them also and no one has anything good to say about them. Leaky and cold, and they only dry quickly if you turn them inside out which probably adds to the leaky and cold problem.

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: Aruka] #1970728
01/25/13 06:04 AM
01/25/13 06:04 AM
O
ovrevik Offline
Gerry Lopez status
ovrevik  Offline
Gerry Lopez status
O

I've had the same idea! After the wool sock experience im almost convinced that if i find a good one piece in thin wool i could drop one mm of neopren..

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: prjwebb] #1970729
01/25/13 12:13 PM
01/25/13 12:13 PM
Cold and Sharky
A
aqua_fortis Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
aqua_fortis  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
A

Cold and Sharky
I've used an old, holey and beat long sleeve Patagonia Capilene top under my 4/3's and it makes a heck of difference. A lot of added warmth for not too much weight.

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: VanHook] #1970730
06/09/13 08:39 PM
06/09/13 08:39 PM
PNW
A
Aruka Offline OP
Miki Dora status
Aruka  Offline OP
Miki Dora status
A

PNW
okay so who makes the best 5mm gloves? water temps are 45 here and I have an old pair of West 5mm gloves I've been wearing instead of the usual 3mm's and it makes a huge difference in how long I'm able to surf comfortably. the problem is the West gloves have weird fit and the palms are really slick making it hard to hold on to my board when duck-diving bigger waves.

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: Aruka] #1970731
06/10/13 03:13 PM
06/10/13 03:13 PM
cold
T
trevorbc Offline
Michael Peterson status
trevorbc  Offline
Michael Peterson status
T

cold
We are in 5 mil gloves from Nov/Dec-March/April and currently I think Rip Curl makes the best. I used to think Xcel. Actually my 3 mil Xcel gloves have been great. I wore the Xcel 3 mils when others were still in 5s and was never cold.

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: trevorbc] #1970732
06/10/13 08:28 PM
06/10/13 08:28 PM
PNW
A
Aruka Offline OP
Miki Dora status
Aruka  Offline OP
Miki Dora status
A

PNW
Nice, thanks Trevor. I'll check out the rip curls.

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: Aruka] #1970733
06/10/13 08:58 PM
06/10/13 08:58 PM
Maine
J
jp30surf Offline
Billy Hamilton status
jp30surf  Offline
Billy Hamilton status
J

Maine
Trevor and I live in the same area of Maine

I've been using the Rubber Soul 5mm Split Toe & the 5mm Flash Bomb and both are good. Details below...

Rubber Soul 5mm:

Pro's - These things are completely water tight! Weight and feel of a 3mm boot with the warmth of a 5mm. I've never used a 5mm this light, warm, and sensitive.

Con's - With Feather weight and sensitivity you are sacrificing durability. I haven't blown mine out yet, but I've heard there has been some complaints of life span. After using mine since the begining of last fall the only wear is the left big toe, but not enough to leak. I'm careful when I take them on and off.

Flash Bomb 5mm:

Pro's - They are as warm as any other high end 5mm boot. They are also bullet proof. You can dance across reefs or the cobblestones and will not feel a thing.

Con's - even though they are liquid taped on the outside of the seam and taped on the inside of the blind stitch seam they leak. I call it "pin hole" leaks. Don't ask me how? I'm not saying you put your foot in the water and it fills up. That does not happen. What I'm saying is when you're walking out in the water you get this pin sensation of the water on your foot. It's small but noticable. Your boot never fills with water or anything like that, but you get that small pin prick feeling on your foot. Finally, after a while the smell like complete Shlt.

Hope that helps!

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: jp30surf] #1970734
06/10/13 09:05 PM
06/10/13 09:05 PM
Maine
J
jp30surf Offline
Billy Hamilton status
jp30surf  Offline
Billy Hamilton status
J

Maine
RC Gloves... I've used every one they make.

They are all warm if worn in the appropreate water temps (obviously the higher end ones are better), but the durability is the issue. Not so much on the thicker ones. 6 and 5 mm will last a couple of seasons or more. The thinner ones 3mm and down I'm lucky if I get 1 season out of them.

No seam issues. The problem seems to be the palms wear down from duckdives and pop ups. The material eventually becomes so smushed the glove becomes permeable. Then, even though you don't see a hole it feels like there's is one there.

Hope that helps...

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: jp30surf] #1970735
06/11/13 12:30 AM
06/11/13 12:30 AM
Cambria
R
r32 Offline

Tom Curren status
r32  Offline

Tom Curren status
R

Cambria
I currently use the expensive 3m XCEL booties and just recently they started getting extremely water logged. The bottoms are holding up strong, but they are literally water logged the moment I step in the water. Feels like two small buckets on my feet. I'm over them. They lasted 3 seasons, which is not as long as my previous O'neill booties lasted. I'm going back to O'neill.

Just noticed these new weird looking booties from Oneill called Gooru.

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: r32] #1970736
06/11/13 10:11 AM
06/11/13 10:11 AM
cold
T
trevorbc Offline
Michael Peterson status
trevorbc  Offline
Michael Peterson status
T

cold
+1 on durability. My bar is pretty low though. If booties and gloves don't get holes or rip after 5 sessions I think they are durable. Sad I know. I can sacrifice durability on wetsuits for flexibility and I do think that pricing on wetsuits is okay but the prices on very low durability booties and gloves that are made in China are ridiculous.

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: trevorbc] #1970737
06/11/13 10:44 AM
06/11/13 10:44 AM
Oceansuck
J
jkb Offline
Phil Edwards status
jkb  Offline
Phil Edwards status
J

Oceansuck
I bought these oneill mutant booties to try them out. Due to the way they are constructed, they fit snug against the sides of your foot which completely eliminated the problem I had with most booties folding under my foot. They also let in very little water. My favorite pair so far.

Legal Disclaimer: jkb's posts are written by his Posting Agent, whose views and opinions do not necessarily represent those of jkb.
Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: jkb] #1970738
06/11/13 12:16 PM
06/11/13 12:16 PM
cold
T
trevorbc Offline
Michael Peterson status
trevorbc  Offline
Michael Peterson status
T

cold
That's one pair that I haven't tried that I have want to. Usually that folding over problem is due to too large booties. I'm a size 10 sneaker but always have to buy size 9 booties. Have you tried going down a size? They might be a little tight at first but that is better than the fold over and they stretch out a bit. I guess if you have found a bootie that is sized correctly and doesn't fold over then you have solved this issue. (as long as they continue to make this boot with the same fit) I wish they made booties in half sizes.

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: Aruka] #1970739
06/11/13 12:22 PM
06/11/13 12:22 PM
cold
T
trevorbc Offline
Michael Peterson status
trevorbc  Offline
Michael Peterson status
T

cold
Aruka, I'm not a fan of the flash bomb booties. I like the rip curl gloves but have still stuck to the xcel booties because i like the fit even though durability is an issue. To be honest I don't think there is a perfect bootie out there right now. They all suck.

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: trevorbc] #1970740
06/12/13 10:49 AM
06/12/13 10:49 AM
Oceansuck
J
jkb Offline
Phil Edwards status
jkb  Offline
Phil Edwards status
J

Oceansuck
Yeah, I've tried going down in size. The problem I have with most booties (even when they are perfectly sized) is the top of the foot area. A lot of booties have a lot of stretchy neoprene on the top of the foot which stretches around my foot and bunches underneath.

But if a boot is constructed with sturdy rubber and less stretchy neoprene on the top of the foot, this eliminates the fold over for me. The oneill mutant boot has sturdy rubber that wraps around both sides of the foot with a thin strip of neoprene running down the middle. A much better design IMO and they work really well for me.

Legal Disclaimer: jkb's posts are written by his Posting Agent, whose views and opinions do not necessarily represent those of jkb.
Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: jkb] #1970741
06/12/13 12:19 PM
06/12/13 12:19 PM
PNW
A
Aruka Offline OP
Miki Dora status
Aruka  Offline OP
Miki Dora status
A

PNW
Those oneill's look nice. I'm open to try that brand again since they did fit my foot pretty well.

Everyone advised me to return the flash bomb booties and I honestly meant to but I spaced it and eventually went past the 30 day return window. Ended up wearing them for a month or so and they were every bit as horrible as everyone said. Main complaint is that they didn't keep my feet warm. First session it felt like water was just flowing right through the seams. The water wasn't even that cold when I was wearing them so it was bearable at first but after a very short while they had stretched out to the point that the toe would fold under and they were filling with water, etc.

Wearing the 7mm Drylock round toe booties for the past 4-5 months. I will say that they don't fold under my foot or anything weird like that. They're warm.....but not as warm as the 7.5mm Cypher booties. The velcro strap across the top of the foot is basically pointless since if I pull it tight it doesn't have enough purchase and comes undone during my session. The booties have stretched out a little and I notice more water sloshing around inside of them lately but they're still keeping me warm enough for long sessions in sub 50F water. All the seams are holding up so far and I don't feel like they're leaking especially bad. Since they don't seem to want to fold under my foot and I don't slide around in them they are probably the leading candidate for purchase again.

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: Aruka] #1970742
06/12/13 12:32 PM
06/12/13 12:32 PM
Maine
J
jp30surf Offline
Billy Hamilton status
jp30surf  Offline
Billy Hamilton status
J

Maine
Damn!

Looks like the pair of 5mm Flash Bombs you had were way worse than mine!

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: jp30surf] #1970743
06/12/13 12:37 PM
06/12/13 12:37 PM
PNW
A
Aruka Offline OP
Miki Dora status
Aruka  Offline OP
Miki Dora status
A

PNW
My flashbombs were 7mm.

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: Aruka] #1970744
06/12/13 12:39 PM
06/12/13 12:39 PM
Maine
J
jp30surf Offline
Billy Hamilton status
jp30surf  Offline
Billy Hamilton status
J

Maine
Strange?

The 7mm FB Round Toes were actually the warmest ones I owned, but did have that "Pin" feeling I told you about. Never filled, but when the water is 34 "Pin" is not nice.

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: Aruka] #1970745
06/12/13 08:01 PM
06/12/13 08:01 PM
PNW
S
smithgrind Offline
Grom
smithgrind  Offline
Grom
S

PNW
I've had the best experience with O'Neill booties and gloves in the past decade of surfing in the pnw. They last the longest, fit me the best, and I seem to find them on sale when I need to replace them. The best bootie so far has been the 6/5 Mutant with an internal split toe. Bomber construction and a clean design without excessive velcro straps and loops and buckles. I have a wide foot and the fit keeps my heal locked in and seals the dead space around my toes.

I liked the Xcel booties but they're not durable and hands down are the most rank booties I've ever owned. Vomit inducing rankness. They're a great fit and toasty warm, but I couldn't justify the price of having to replace them so often when they fell apart.

Rip Curls were leaky, ill fitting, and poorly constructed and that was straight out of the box. I bought them once, never again.

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: jkb] #1970746
12/04/13 04:07 AM
12/04/13 04:07 AM
PNW
A
Aruka Offline OP
Miki Dora status
Aruka  Offline OP
Miki Dora status
A

PNW
Quote:

I bought these oneill mutant booties to try them out. Due to the way they are constructed, they fit snug against the sides of your foot which completely eliminated the problem I had with most booties folding under my foot. They also let in very little water. My favorite pair so far.

I got a pair of those Mutants my usual size 11 and they are just a little long. At first it was okay but as soon as they stretched out a little I started having the usual problems, toe folding under, ballooning, etc. Bummer because I really liked them. Warm and seemed well put together.

New 7mm drylock boots are a step up from the old kind. Angled strap actually seems to do something vs. the old one that was just kind of for show. Blue liner dries fast (ish) and doesn't stink after a few months of my coffee piss.After a few months they started to feel a little loose so I got a pair in size 10 and although they were a bit snug at first I like them alot better now.

Might have to try those Oniells in a size 10 next since they seem to run even longer than the Xcels and I like the split toe.

Been burning through my 3mm drylock glove stash that I bought on sale a while back. Seems like 3-4 months and they are toast, just splitting seams all over. They're the old green liner ones. I think I'll be trying a different brand next, the xcel's don't fit super great, made for someone with huge thumbs (or I have small thumbs).

Quicky gloves fit great and I liked the 4mm dipped ones I had even though I had to wax them every few sessions and they still had horrible board grip. They were so warm and light but after only maybe two months or less they got holes in the thumbs from grabbing my board and they just stopped keeping me warm and started ballooning, etc.

WETSUIT MAKERS: Please make some dipped gloves with some abrasion resistant, grippy palm material.

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: Aruka] #1970747
12/04/13 10:18 AM
12/04/13 10:18 AM
Oceansuck
J
jkb Offline
Phil Edwards status
jkb  Offline
Phil Edwards status
J

Oceansuck
Quote:

Quote:

I got a pair of those Mutants my usual size 11 and they are just a little long. At first it was okay but as soon as they stretched out a little I started having the usual problems, toe folding under, ballooning, etc. Bummer because I really liked them. Warm and seemed well put together.

New 7mm drylock boots are a step up from the old kind. Angled strap actually seems to do something vs. the old one that was just kind of for show. Blue liner dries fast (ish) and doesn't stink after a few months of my coffee piss.After a few months they started to feel a little loose so I got a pair in size 10 and although they were a bit snug at first I like them alot better now.

Might have to try those Oniells in a size 10 next since they seem to run even longer than the Xcels and I like the split toe.

Been burning through my 3mm drylock glove stash that I bought on sale a while back. Seems like 3-4 months and they are toast, just splitting seams all over. They're the old green liner ones. I think I'll be trying a different brand next, the xcel's don't fit super great, made for someone with huge thumbs (or I have small thumbs).

Quicky gloves fit great and I liked the 4mm dipped ones I had even though I had to wax them every few sessions and they still had horrible board grip. They were so warm and light but after only maybe two months or less they got holes in the thumbs from grabbing my board and they just stopped keeping me warm and started ballooning, etc.

WETSUIT MAKERS: Please make some dipped gloves with some abrasion resistant, grippy palm material.

I'm still wearing those oneill mutant booties and really liking them. They were definitely on the tighter side when I first started wearing them, but they loosened slightly. The durability has been fantastic too.

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: jkb] #1970748
12/09/13 11:17 AM
12/09/13 11:17 AM
HB, CA
I
ifallalot Offline
Duke status
ifallalot  Offline
Duke status
I

HB, CA
Ok.

I hate booties and have often said that they never need to be worn in Southern California. However, being that I am missing the nearly 50 lbs of fat that I carried on my body before I am getting a lot colder now. My feet got so cold yesterday that 8 out of 10 toes were numb and stayed numb for over an hour after surfing. I should have taken a picture because you could see which toes were numb and which weren't due to color.

Now, what would y'all recommend to someone who hates booties? I've worn them before out of necessity in Santa Cruz but that was years ago, I imagine tech has changed somewhat.

Also, which ones are the cheapest? I don't want to spend a lot of money since there is a good chance they may be thrown away in anger

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: ifallalot] #1970750
12/09/13 12:10 PM
12/09/13 12:10 PM
Cypress Coast
J
Jpres Offline
Grom
Jpres  Offline
Grom
J

Cypress Coast
Not cheap but best anti-booties I've found we're the xcel dipped comps. A buddy of mine loves the oniell ninjas too, they are a lower price point.

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: ] #1970751
12/09/13 12:13 PM
12/09/13 12:13 PM
HB, CA
I
ifallalot Offline
Duke status
ifallalot  Offline
Duke status
I

HB, CA
Quote:

Quote:

Ok.

I hate booties and have often said that they never need to be worn in Southern California. However, being that I am missing the nearly 50 lbs of fat that I carried on my body before I am getting a lot colder now. My feet got so cold yesterday that 8 out of 10 toes were numb and stayed numb for over an hour after surfing. I should have taken a picture because you could see which toes were numb and which weren't due to color.

Now, what would y'all recommend to someone who hates booties? I've worn them before out of necessity in Santa Cruz but that was years ago, I imagine tech has changed somewhat.

Also, which ones are the cheapest? I don't want to spend a lot of money since there is a good chance they may be thrown away in anger

pvssy!!

I surfed 4.5 hours yesterday with the wind and cold and my feet were fine. no booties needed.

Yeeew

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: ifallalot] #1970753
12/09/13 01:33 PM
12/09/13 01:33 PM
Beast Coast
C
ciscojaws Offline
Michael Peterson status
ciscojaws  Offline
Michael Peterson status
C

Beast Coast
Quote:

Ok.

I too hate booties, best ones I've found are the O'neill Ninjas.

We'll take the road that leads down to the waterside.
Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: ] #1970754
12/09/13 02:02 PM
12/09/13 02:02 PM
PNW
A
Aruka Offline OP
Miki Dora status
Aruka  Offline OP
Miki Dora status
A

PNW
Quote:

My booties always dil with water. Once I move my toes the water starts running through. I haven't found a brand that doesn't do that. Should I be buying a size smaller? I've tried on a size smaller and they were pretty tight dry. Not sure how much they will stretch wet.

RE Wool socks. Because there's no where for the water to exit the bootie, once it gets wet don't your feet get cold?

I think as far as having some extra space in your booties it is better to fill that void with wool or polypro than having just water sloshing around in there. I think those fabrics trap some air which is a better insulator than water. Ideally getting some booties that fit snug is the best option. Going down a size may be the answer, that's what I've done recently. You definitely don't want to have booties that are so small that they are causing pain or curling your toes under or anything. Use your own discretion and try some different brands since it seems like sizing is all over the place. Xcel and Oniell seem to be making the warmest, best constructed booties at this point and they have quite different sizing so that's where I would start.

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: ifallalot] #1970755
12/09/13 05:07 PM
12/09/13 05:07 PM
G
ghostshaper Offline
Miki Dora status
ghostshaper  Offline
Miki Dora status
G

Quote:

Ok.

so you're saying fat insulates?

+1000 on the ninjas. retail is $35. I'm turning mine into round toes this year (they lasted me more than one year, too).

Organized competition is entirely peripheral to surfing qua surfing. People surf for love. - William Finnegan
Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: ghostshaper] #1970756
12/09/13 06:48 PM
12/09/13 06:48 PM
The most crowded place on eart...
M
Mooobs Offline
Miki Dora status
Mooobs  Offline
Miki Dora status
M

The most crowded place on eart...
Quote:

Quote:

Ok.

so you're saying fat insulates?

+1000 on the ninjas. retail is $35. I'm turning mine into round toes this year (they lasted me more than one year, too).

I concluded about a year ago that most of the tough guys trunking it into mid-february were using a "natural 4/3" layer of insulation (probably much more than that). At 7% body fat I busted out my 4/3 last month for SoCal.

Money and friends mix like shit and strawberry shortcake. - Northern_Shores
Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: ghostshaper] #1970757
12/09/13 07:33 PM
12/09/13 07:33 PM
Beast Coast
C
ciscojaws Offline
Michael Peterson status
ciscojaws  Offline
Michael Peterson status
C

Beast Coast
Quote:

I'm turning mine into round toes this year

How?

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: ciscojaws] #1970758
12/09/13 09:44 PM
12/09/13 09:44 PM
G
ghostshaper Offline
Miki Dora status
ghostshaper  Offline
Miki Dora status
G

Took out the seam between the toes. Replacing the piece with another to fill in the gap. Have Morton's toe so split toes suck. I'll post here when I'm done and have tested it.

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: Aruka] #1970759
12/10/13 12:21 AM
12/10/13 12:21 AM
world's largest oregon
Q
Q_Surf Offline
Duke status
Q_Surf  Offline
Duke status
Q

world's largest oregon
Quote:

...New 7mm drylock boots...

considering 7mm booties again . went from quick 7mm to these patagucci r4's which aren't getting me past 2.5hrs before my feet start numbing past the point of being able to surf worth a fvck during these arctic times we're having. kind of pisses me off because my suit (boz) is keeping the rest of me warm enough to keep surfing and the waves have been stupid good.

gloves - my el-cheapo hyperflex 3mm generally last 300% longer than any others i've tried.

><((((>
Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: Q_Surf] #1970760
12/10/13 12:30 AM
12/10/13 12:30 AM
A
afoaf Offline
Duke status
afoaf  Offline
Duke status
A

someone recommended the hotline booties in another one of
these types of threads a while back.

I bought the round toe with the internal split and they have been
solid for 3+ seasons...minimal leakage over long sessions unless
I get a proper tumble or something.

damn. using courier font. that is fooking aggressive man.
Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: Q_Surf] #1970761
12/10/13 12:37 AM
12/10/13 12:37 AM
PNW
A
Aruka Offline OP
Miki Dora status
Aruka  Offline OP
Miki Dora status
A

PNW
Quote:

Quote:

...New 7mm drylock boots...

considering 7mm booties again . went from quick 7mm to these patagucci r4's which aren't getting me past 2.5hrs before my feet start numbing past the point of being able to surf worth a fvck during these arctic times we're having. kind of pisses me off because my suit (boz) is keeping the rest of me warm enough to keep surfing and the waves have been stupid good.

gloves - my el-cheapo hyperflex 3mm generally last 300% longer than any others i've tried.

Those Patagucci's are tied with the Flashbomb's for worst bootie I've owned in the past few years.

I'll look into the hyperflex gloves. Got a bunch of Drylock 3mm's for cheap last year and I'm on my final pair now. Most brands last about three months with my surfing habits.

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: ifallalot] #1970762
12/10/13 03:40 AM
12/10/13 03:40 AM
O'siiiide
N
novasteve Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
novasteve  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
N

O'siiiide
Quote:

Ok.

I too hate the booties. I've had the ninjas, they are pretty great as far as board feel goes and super cheap. They aren't that warm though, get pretty leaky pretty quick.

Last winter I had the dipped quiksilvers, they were great- warm, nice board feel, actually wore them longer than necessary last winter because they were so comfy and I'd gotten used to them. They did start to get a bit leaky toward the end of the season and I ended up ripping one on a fin.

Just bought the new dipped flashbombs. Going to try my damndest not to wear them until a trip up to Santa Cruz at the end the month.

I will be back with a full report.

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: Aruka] #1970763
12/10/13 03:54 AM
12/10/13 03:54 AM
world's largest oregon
Q
Q_Surf Offline
Duke status
Q_Surf  Offline
Duke status
Q

world's largest oregon
Quote:

...Those Patagucci's are tied with the Flashbomb's for worst bootie I've owned in the past few years. ...

well at least they weren't expensive

just sent back a pata-pair of wading boots that sucked a$$. maybe they should just stay away from footwear.

><((((>
Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: Q_Surf] #1970764
12/10/13 04:19 AM
12/10/13 04:19 AM
PNW
A
Aruka Offline OP
Miki Dora status
Aruka  Offline OP
Miki Dora status
A

PNW
I think all their neoprene is hype and people just convince themselves it's good because they spent so much money on it.

When I ask someone how they like the Pata suit they usually say something like, oh I love it....it kind of rashes me and it leaks and it's stiff and it stinks but other than that it's great!

I did the pata booties and gloves and they were both pretty bad, not to mention the most I've ever spent on either of those items. I'd feel silly buying their suit after that but you never know, the new ones look better.

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: Aruka] #1970765
12/10/13 11:14 AM
12/10/13 11:14 AM
Oceansuck
J
jkb Offline
Phil Edwards status
jkb  Offline
Phil Edwards status
J

Oceansuck
I really like the Patagonia suits with the green liner (R1's). It's too bad they don't offer that liner in the thicker suits.

Looks like the new suits have sealed seams now.

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: jkb] #1970766
12/10/13 05:00 PM
12/10/13 05:00 PM
HB, CA
I
ifallalot Offline
Duke status
ifallalot  Offline
Duke status
I

HB, CA
I got the dipped West 3mm boots from Surfy this morning and I these do not at all feel like the bootie hell I've been in before. In fact, I can barely tell they are there and, most importantly, did not affect my surfing at all.

I will eat crow now. I am wearing booties in San Diego County. I was wrong.

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: ] #1970768
12/10/13 05:52 PM
12/10/13 05:52 PM
HB, CA
I
ifallalot Offline
Duke status
ifallalot  Offline
Duke status
I

HB, CA
There's a reason marine mammals have blubber, it keeps you warm.

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: ifallalot] #1970769
12/10/13 08:33 PM
12/10/13 08:33 PM
G
ghostshaper Offline
Miki Dora status
ghostshaper  Offline
Miki Dora status
G

Or hair

I bet 1" of blubber = 1 mm of rubber, conservatively

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: Aruka] #1970770
12/11/13 12:47 AM
12/11/13 12:47 AM
A
afoaf Offline
Duke status
afoaf  Offline
Duke status
A

the thing with the pata suit is that I can wear the r2 in place of
a proper 4/3. fkr is super warm...from baja up to big sur, no prob.

I think that makes the stiffness comparable to a thicker suit you'd
use in similar situations. leakage is no worse.

damn. using courier font. that is fooking aggressive man.
Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: Aruka] #1970771
12/11/13 02:18 PM
12/11/13 02:18 PM
world's largest oregon
Q
Q_Surf Offline
Duke status
Q_Surf  Offline
Duke status
Q

world's largest oregon
Quote:

I think all their neoprene is hype and people just convince themselves it's good because they spent so much money on it.

When I ask someone how they like the Pata suit they usually say something like, oh I love it....it kind of rashes me and it leaks and it's stiff and it stinks but other than that it's great!

I did the pata booties and gloves and they were both pretty bad, not to mention the most I've ever spent on either of those items. I'd feel silly buying their suit after that but you never know, the new ones look better.

2 amigos i surf most with both have r4's and...yeah i dig my boz (now on my 2nd but the 1st one is still in good working order).

had it in my head the pata's would be the last booties i ever bought - but seems (seams?) their "lifetime warranty" is more dubious than i'd hoped. they fit me perfectly but i had the gf add extensions to the velcro strap b/c they were way too short. otherwise been overall ok with them until this alaskan weather spell we've been in.

><((((>
Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: ifallalot] #1970772
12/11/13 02:31 PM
12/11/13 02:31 PM
South Bay, CA
S
Someone Offline
Miki Dora status
Someone  Offline
Miki Dora status
S

South Bay, CA
Quote:

I got the dipped West 3mm boots from Surfy this morning and I these do not at all feel like the bootie hell I've been in before. In fact, I can barely tell they are there and, most importantly, did not affect my surfing at all.

I will eat crow now. I am wearing booties in San Diego County. I was wrong.

Nice. Imma check em out.

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: ] #1970774
12/11/13 04:03 PM
12/11/13 04:03 PM
Maine
J
jp30surf Offline
Billy Hamilton status
jp30surf  Offline
Billy Hamilton status
J

Maine
Richie Collins used to rock em

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: jp30surf] #1970775
12/11/13 04:42 PM
12/11/13 04:42 PM
cold
T
trevorbc Offline
Michael Peterson status
trevorbc  Offline
Michael Peterson status
T

cold
Anyone in the market for new frigid water gloves should try the body glove mits. I think they are 7/6 mil. I was going to post a link but it doesn't appear that the body glove site even shows them. A google search doesn't bring anything up either. I guess you have to go to a store that carries BG. Seriously though these gloves are the bomb. Almost too warm. My buddy that sells them said a local kid sponsored by another brand comes in and stocks up he likes them so much. On the bootie front I'm still in the Xcel drylock. Can't beat the fit. The other day I tried on pretty much every brand in the shop to see if I could try something else because the Xcel durability has been suspect but none of them came close to the same fit or feel. Damn it looks like I have to buy booties ever year.

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: trevorbc] #1970776
12/11/13 04:44 PM
12/11/13 04:44 PM
cold
T
trevorbc Offline
Michael Peterson status
trevorbc  Offline
Michael Peterson status
T

cold
Note: For Aruka, the 2014 drylocks have a different liner and so far they don't smell.

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: trevorbc] #1970777
12/16/13 07:24 PM
12/16/13 07:24 PM
NorOR
S
SeaFoamGreen Offline
Nep status
SeaFoamGreen  Offline
Nep status
S

NorOR
A year into the Patagonia booties and gloves.....

R4 5 mill booties work 75% of the time, great board feel, but not really cutting it as of late (or when the water was upweald cold this summer). Thought the wool liner would make them warmer than a standard 5 mill but not really. 7 mill booties are essential here. The R5's (7 mill) would prob work, but went back to the old standby 7 mill Hotline split toe I have used for over 20 years in the North Pacific. Much better! Will still use the Pata's though when water/air is warmer.

On the contrary, the R3 1.5 gloves are working well and holding up for the 2nd season. Love the wool liner. I can even use them as land glove on my hikes to waves. Usually only wear them Nov-March, so they have about a half a year of use on them, although I find that no matter how much you use a wetsuit product the neoprene seems to eventually break down after a few years affecting overall performance.

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: ifallalot] #1970778
12/20/13 11:53 PM
12/20/13 11:53 PM
CA
G
gkl68 Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
gkl68  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
G

CA
I bought some dipped gloves that shops recommended last week when it was 30degrees(air). Shop guy says it actually adds more grip and I found that to be totally false. I couldn't really hold on to any part of my board that didn't have wax on it. Anyone else experience this?

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: gkl68] #1970779
12/20/13 11:55 PM
12/20/13 11:55 PM
R
retodd Offline
Duke status
retodd  Offline
Duke status
R

funny but sucky

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: gkl68] #1970780
12/21/13 12:20 AM
12/21/13 12:20 AM
PNW
A
Aruka Offline OP
Miki Dora status
Aruka  Offline OP
Miki Dora status
A

PNW
Quote:

I bought some dipped gloves that shops recommended last week when it was 30degrees(air). Shop guy says it actually adds more grip and I found that to be totally false. I couldn't really hold on to any part of my board that didn't have wax on it. Anyone else experience this?

Shop guy sounds like an idiot. I waxed my dipped gloves with Bubblegum GU wax the first few times I used them and they were still pretty slippery. Overall I think the dipped gloves are not worth the price since they don't last long at all. Maybe in a year or two they will figure it out.

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: Aruka] #1970781
12/21/13 12:44 AM
12/21/13 12:44 AM
CA
G
gkl68 Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
gkl68  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
G

CA
Good idea I have some bubblegum wax already so I'll try that thanks. Yah I agree on durability, I tried to rub wax off my board and it already stretched the surface of the fingertip rubber. They did keep water out and my hands warm but sorta felt the wiggling tubes like dishwashing gloves when paddling lol. It was a frigid morning and my friends complained numbed hands after and mine was great.

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: gkl68] #1970782
12/21/13 03:19 AM
12/21/13 03:19 AM
D
daave Offline
Nep status
daave  Offline
Nep status
D

wax your rails a bit. I have the quik dipped gloves and they have no grip. You can try waxing the gloves themselves but it doesn't last long.

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: daave] #1970783
12/21/13 02:30 PM
12/21/13 02:30 PM
N
Northern_Shores Offline
Michael Peterson status
Northern_Shores  Offline
Michael Peterson status
N

I just bought the excel 7mm mittens and 8mm shoes infiniti. Havent tried them yet cus its still warm 9celcius, i dont know what that is in fuckenheit but its a lot here for wintertime.

"the quad setup hinders performance." - Havoc
Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: Northern_Shores] #1970784
12/21/13 11:11 PM
12/21/13 11:11 PM
PNW
A
Aruka Offline OP
Miki Dora status
Aruka  Offline OP
Miki Dora status
A

PNW
9 Celsius is 48 Fahrenheit. that's warmer than it is here right now. what the fuckenheit, over.

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: Aruka] #1970785
12/23/13 06:15 PM
12/23/13 06:15 PM
CA
S
stu dog Offline
Duke status
stu dog  Offline
Duke status
S

CA
knee jerk purchase today at lunch after super cold morning......3mm Rubber Soul Flashbomb booties. I'm another one who typically hates booties. too hard, can't feel the board, water in them throws me off. the Rubber Souls feel super soft. better construction than the first generation RipCurl liquid dips. these seem pretty sturdy. should be interesting to try them out.

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: stu dog] #1970786
12/25/13 05:08 PM
12/25/13 05:08 PM
G
ghostshaper Offline
Miki Dora status
ghostshaper  Offline
Miki Dora status
G

finished hacking my ninjas into round toes. I have a sample of the same material they use for the top. The bottoms and achilles are dipped. I think I might try making some custom ones this summer. It would be super easy to trace your foot and make some that fit perfectly. Maybe some of you will be interested in splitting a couple of rolls for materials.

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: ghostshaper] #1970787
12/25/13 09:58 PM
12/25/13 09:58 PM
PNW
A
Aruka Offline OP
Miki Dora status
Aruka  Offline OP
Miki Dora status
A

PNW
Hell yeah ghosty. Looking good.

I've been wanting to put a liquid neoprene band around the inside of my cuffs on my westuit to keep it from stretching out and letting water in or riding up when I wipe out. Anyone know if it's possible to buy anything like that? Something similar to what they use on the outside of a suit to cover seams is what I'm envisioning but I dunno if that stuff is something a normal person could buy.

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: Aruka] #1970788
12/30/13 05:17 PM
12/30/13 05:17 PM
UK
P
prjwebb Offline
Michael Peterson status
prjwebb  Offline
Michael Peterson status
P

UK
Picked up some 3mm dipped flashbomb booties yesterday. They feel very minimal on, but we will see how they fair for warmth and durability.

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: prjwebb] #1970789
12/30/13 09:46 PM
12/30/13 09:46 PM
Maine
J
jp30surf Offline
Billy Hamilton status
jp30surf  Offline
Billy Hamilton status
J

Maine
Mine have held up pretty well. I have the 5mm version and so far so good as far as warmth. Water is down to 42 up here.

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: jp30surf] #1970790
12/31/13 05:01 AM
12/31/13 05:01 AM
UK
P
prjwebb Offline
Michael Peterson status
prjwebb  Offline
Michael Peterson status
P

UK
Hopefully the 3mm is enough for here. My buddy in the shop seems to think so...

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: Aruka] #1970791
12/31/13 05:28 AM
12/31/13 05:28 AM
E
ekim Offline
Grom
ekim  Offline
Grom
E

Tried on the xcel and and ripcurl 7mm boots today.Never thought Oniell would fit anything on me but low and behold. The 7mm round toe Heat booties fit my huge narrow size 13 feet perfect. Give updates later!
P.S. ...Xcel's and Ripcurl 7mm fit horrible if you have a size 13 narrow flat foot!
Never got a chance to try the Pattagonia's but I wonder???

Last edited by ekim; 12/31/13 05:31 AM.
Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: ekim] #1970792
12/31/13 07:44 PM
12/31/13 07:44 PM
PNW
A
Aruka Offline OP
Miki Dora status
Aruka  Offline OP
Miki Dora status
A

PNW
Quote:

Tried on the xcel and and ripcurl 7mm boots today.Never thought Oniell would fit anything on me but low and behold. The 7mm round toe Heat booties fit my huge narrow size 13 feet perfect. Give updates later!
P.S. ...Xcel's and Ripcurl 7mm fit horrible if you have a size 13 narrow flat foot!
Never got a chance to try the Pattagonia's but I wonder???

Keep us updated on those Oniell's, Shaq.

Been thinking since they run a little long I might be able to get away with downsizing to a 10. The 10 Xcel's are just a little too snug for long sessions but the 11's are all baggy after a month. Why can't everything just be perfect?

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: ifallalot] #1970793
12/31/13 08:17 PM
12/31/13 08:17 PM
Tower 13
S
silentbutdeadly Offline
Duke status
silentbutdeadly  Offline
Duke status
S

Tower 13
Considering a set of Ninjas or the dipped variety. Some of the dipped booties seem pretty stiff, like a normal booty but the ninjas seem really flimsy, like they might roll when pushed hard on a turn or something?

Any thoughts?

Scared of the dipped booties durability. Heck the rack model rip curl at my local shop has a rip from people trying them on!

I currently have Xcels and while they are nicer than most, I still fvcking hate booties with a passion. Been holding off as long as possible this year (as I do every year) but some of the longer sessions are getting tough in the morning.

Last edited by silentbutdeadly; 12/31/13 08:19 PM.

"The size / dimensions don't matter. What does matter is that it's flammable. Because you should set it on fire and get a real surfboard" Witchipoo
Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: silentbutdeadly] #1970794
12/31/13 10:34 PM
12/31/13 10:34 PM
HB, CA
I
ifallalot Offline
Duke status
ifallalot  Offline
Duke status
I

HB, CA
Quote:

Considering a set of Ninjas or the dipped variety. Some of the dipped booties seem pretty stiff, like a normal booty but the ninjas seem really flimsy, like they might roll when pushed hard on a turn or something?

Any thoughts?

Scared of the dipped booties durability. Heck the rack model rip curl at my local shop has a rip from people trying them on!

I currently have Xcels and while they are nicer than most, I still fvcking hate booties with a passion. Been holding off as long as possible this year (as I do every year) but some of the longer sessions are getting tough in the morning.

The ones I have like suck onto your feet once they are wet and durability seems fine so far. You know how I feel about booties and I've been wearing them more often than not.

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: prjwebb] #1970795
01/01/14 03:32 PM
01/01/14 03:32 PM
UK
P
prjwebb Offline
Michael Peterson status
prjwebb  Offline
Michael Peterson status
P

UK
Quote:

Picked up some 3mm dipped flashbomb booties yesterday. They feel very minimal on, but we will see how they fair for warmth and durability.

First impression of the booties was good. Very light and comfy plus good feel of the board under foot. Kept me warm enough too.

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: prjwebb] #2151114
01/18/14 08:44 PM
01/18/14 08:44 PM
world's largest oregon
Q
Q_Surf Offline
Duke status
Q_Surf  Offline
Duke status
Q

world's largest oregon
got sick up and fed of the patagucci r4's being the weakest link in my armor so i nabbed a pair of these 'bong 7mm SGS:

they're simply WONDERFUL. best coldwater bootie i've had.

gonna send in the pata's for exchange then ebay them the fvck away from me. toilet

><((((>
Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: Q_Surf] #2151183
01/19/14 12:48 AM
01/19/14 12:48 AM
Oceansuck
J
jkb Offline
Phil Edwards status
jkb  Offline
Phil Edwards status
J

Oceansuck
Originally Posted By: Q_Surf
got sick up and fed of the patagucci r4's being the weakest link in my armor so i nabbed a pair of these 'bong 7mm SGS:

they're simply WONDERFUL. best coldwater bootie i've had.

gonna send in the pata's for exchange then ebay them the fvck away from me. toilet

Stop sugar-coating it........did you like the Patagonia booties or not shrug

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: Aruka] #2151275
01/19/14 03:41 AM
01/19/14 03:41 AM
PNW
A
Aruka Offline OP
Miki Dora status
Aruka  Offline OP
Miki Dora status
A

PNW
Qsurf is obviously sponsored by patagonia.

Where'd you get the SGS 7mm boots?

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: Aruka] #2151368
01/19/14 07:54 AM
01/19/14 07:54 AM
NorCenCal
S
Steak Offline
Duke status
Steak  Offline
Duke status
S

NorCenCal
I hate split toed booties.

The NoDeal Heat 3 Mil round toe booties are my go to for years.

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: Aruka] #2152345
01/21/14 07:38 PM
01/21/14 07:38 PM
B
btdude92 Offline
Grom
btdude92  Offline
Grom
B

Planning on getting booties, but I have a few questions for you guys.

For those who have 5mm or 7mm, do you lose the feel of the board? I want to keep my feet warm, but I also don't want to feel like I'm wearing shoes when I'm surfing.

Steak, do you have a link to the Heat 3's?

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: Aruka] #2152354
01/21/14 07:48 PM
01/21/14 07:48 PM
N
nightfly Offline
Michael Peterson status
nightfly  Offline
Michael Peterson status
N

When I'm wearing 5 or 7 mil booties, it's pretty f*cking cold. Board feel isn't my first concern since numb feet aren't going to feel anything. In general once you get thicker than 3mm, you aren't really going to get great board feel.

Just got some new 7mm Xcel booties and they are pretty great. Kind of suction to your feet and don't fill with water as much as every other bootie I've worn. Might just be the honeymoon phase...

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: btdude92] #2152363
01/21/14 07:58 PM
01/21/14 07:58 PM
PNW
A
Aruka Offline OP
Miki Dora status
Aruka  Offline OP
Miki Dora status
A

PNW
Originally Posted By: btdude92
Planning on getting booties, but I have a few questions for you guys.

For those who have 5mm or 7mm, do you lose the feel of the board? I want to keep my feet warm, but I also don't want to feel like I'm wearing shoes when I'm surfing.

Steak, do you have a link to the Heat 3's?

you get used to it. better to have warm feet in thick booties than numb feet, IMO. some of the newer 7mm booties seem to have thinner soles than before, giving a little better board feel. it comes at the expense of warmth, however. I'm past the honeymoon phase with my Xcel Drylock 7mm's and they're not keeping me as warm now. I think the older style ones were warmer but maybe I'm mis remembering.

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: Aruka] #2156691
01/30/14 04:25 PM
01/30/14 04:25 PM
West of the Atlantic. East of...
G
GromsDad Online content
Duke status
GromsDad  Online Content
Duke status
G

I can tell you all one product to avoid. The Quiksilver NeoGoo 5mm gloves are horrible.

http://www.quiksilver.com/neo-goo-5mm-3-...cfy1qogodkhoatw

I purchased a pair paddled out and returned them to the store dripping wet an hour later. Whatever they were coated with was so slippery that I immediately returned them. I tried rubbing them with sand even to rough up the surface a little but no luck. Couldn't hold onto the board and duckdiving and getting to feet was like having grease on your hands. Took them right back and got a pair of tried and true Rip Curls. Its a shame they were so slippery because they were really warm.

“I always thank God I didn't go to film school because I would have learned that I couldn't be doing what I've been doing already.” - Bruce Brown,
Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: GromsDad] #2157081
01/31/14 04:57 AM
01/31/14 04:57 AM
CA
G
gkl68 Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
gkl68  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
G

CA
I had the same experience earlier in this thread and the trick is to wax the rails. However the gloves worn a hole at both thumb tips in just 3 uses foreheadslap

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: gkl68] #2157165
01/31/14 11:35 AM
01/31/14 11:35 AM
G
GromsDad Online content
Duke status
GromsDad  Online Content
Duke status
G

Originally Posted By: gkl68
I had the same experience earlier in this thread and the trick is to wax the rails. However the gloves worn a hole at both thumb tips in just 3 uses foreheadslap

I can assure you that my rails were waxed. Didn't matter. Been surfing winters in NJ for over 20 years and never had this experience with a pair of gloves.

“I always thank God I didn't go to film school because I would have learned that I couldn't be doing what I've been doing already.” - Bruce Brown,
Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: Aruka] #2157183
01/31/14 02:26 PM
01/31/14 02:26 PM
WNY/New England
D
docdasuess Offline
Grom
docdasuess  Offline
Grom
D

WNY/New England
Quick question here, I got some O'Neill Psychofreak Booties, either 3.5mm or 5.5mm. Only wear them during springtime or late fall. I have not worn them much because I have found the little Velcro strap around the ankle does very little to stay tight. I normally ended up with booties full of water after 20 minutes, to the point it becomes very cumbersome to surf. I was curious if you guys have any tips or tricks to keeping your booties from being flooded. Is it just the my booties are a half size too big? Would some type of tight rubber or tape around the top work as seal? Thanks for any help in advance.

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: Aruka] #2157270
01/31/14 05:17 PM
01/31/14 05:17 PM
Cambria
R
r32 Offline

Tom Curren status
r32  Offline

Tom Curren status
R

Cambria
I've got the 3.5mm Psychofreak booties. Unfortunately I dropped more cash on these than I've ever dropped on booties (around $80) and I don't like them. I have the same problem you have with water filling up each booty and if it feels like my feet are sloshing around the entire time. They are terrible designed booties.

At first I thought maybe I bought to large, but 1/2 size down is to tight on my toes and the size I bought matches my previous O'neill booties. I don't think it's the strap that's the problem though. Both straps on mine stay tight. But 20min into my session, slosh, slosh.

I'm really bummed about these and it's the first O'neill product in 20yrs that I don't like.

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: docdasuess] #2157281
01/31/14 05:28 PM
01/31/14 05:28 PM
F
fishtank Offline
Gerry Lopez status
fishtank  Offline
Gerry Lopez status
F

always size down, its the only thing that works for me. i wear a size 11 shoe, most 11 shoes are fairly tight when i try the on. i buy size 10 booties. it may feel odd at first but the booties will stretch out and conform to your foot after a few uses. i've had good luck with the oneill heat series.

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: Aruka] #2157285
01/31/14 05:31 PM
01/31/14 05:31 PM
in the bathroom
M
manbearpig Offline
Tom Curren status
manbearpig  Offline
Tom Curren status
M

in the bathroom
I got some of those Rip Curl 7mm boots and they suck. First season huge holes putting them on at the pull string thing.

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: Aruka] #2157287
01/31/14 05:32 PM
01/31/14 05:32 PM
in the bathroom
M
manbearpig Offline
Tom Curren status
manbearpig  Offline
Tom Curren status
M

in the bathroom
The Flash Bombs

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: Aruka] #2157548
01/31/14 11:03 PM
01/31/14 11:03 PM
S
Shorepoint Offline
Grom
Shorepoint  Offline
Grom
S

In my experience the velcro straps on the top cause kinks in the cuff, which act as conduits for water to flood into the bootie when you get a leg flush. Try not to tighten that top strap at all or take it off entirely. Plus super-stretch neoprene tends to bag out easier, compounding the problem.

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: Aruka] #2157836
02/01/14 05:31 PM
02/01/14 05:31 PM
F
fdb_23 Offline
Gerry Lopez status
fdb_23  Offline
Gerry Lopez status
F

ninjas work for me-- as everyone has already stated-- closest to feeling like you're not wearing boots. Booties--like condoms, suck. So, if you have to wear either one, go for the thinnest, most natural feel you can find. The Ninjas are as close as you're going to get to the feel of rawdogging.

Yes, the velcro straps on the top of the Ninjas suck, but... buy some of these

https://www.google.com/search?q=REI+velcro+straps&espv=210&es_sm=91&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=zi3tUobkEoPEyQH26YHgDw&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAg&biw=1280&bih=679#facrc=_&imgrc=IPGujU9Pfpe-pM%253A%3BoX844p_Yv2O4JM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.rei.com%252Fzoom%252F848430%252F150%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.rei.com%252Fsearch%253Fquery%253DVelcro%252Bstrap%3B150%3B150

for like 2 bucks and problem solved. I buy a new set of the velcro straps every year as the velcro's grip inevitably lessens over time.

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: Aruka] #2398105
09/17/15 12:01 AM
09/17/15 12:01 AM
PNW
A
Aruka Offline OP
Miki Dora status
Aruka  Offline OP
Miki Dora status
A

PNW
I think I was liking the Quick Cypher booties when I started this thread but they took the best feature (the zig-zagging strap/lace system) and did away with it in favor of a one strap system like everyone else has.

Been back in the Xcel Drylock round toes for the past year. Sized down to a 10.

Newer liner doesn't get all stank like the old ones but otherwise they remain pretty well unchanged from years past. Oh I guess the strap is angled different now too which does seem to be an improvement.

Durability is not amazing and probably worse than it used to be and the price just keeps going up but they're probably the warmest and best fitting bootie out there still.

Glove-wise I think I like the oneill 3mm's the best cuz they fit snug and have good grip.

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: Aruka] #2398140
09/17/15 02:06 AM
09/17/15 02:06 AM
The OC
J
J_D_J Offline
Michael Peterson status
J_D_J  Offline
Michael Peterson status
J

The OC
Last time I used booties was two years ago: Rubber Soul by Rip Curl, which are strapless booties dipped in liquid neoprene. Great sensation while surfing, as close to going without booties as I've experienced. However, they filled with water after about an hour, and looked like balloons. I routinely took them off, dumped out the water, and put them on again during surf sessions. Maybe it was a fit issue.

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: Aruka] #2398141
09/17/15 02:18 AM
09/17/15 02:18 AM
PNW
A
Aruka Offline OP
Miki Dora status
Aruka  Offline OP
Miki Dora status
A

PNW
Nah that's part of the problem with the dipped booties. I had the same issue with the Rip Curl and Xcel dipped ones even though I sized down so they were super snug.

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: Aruka] #2398338
09/17/15 07:21 PM
09/17/15 07:21 PM
E
ekim Offline
Grom
ekim  Offline
Grom
E

7mm round-toe oniell booties for me. Best $50 I've ever spent.

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: Aruka] #2398351
09/17/15 08:15 PM
09/17/15 08:15 PM
N
nightfly Offline
Michael Peterson status
nightfly  Offline
Michael Peterson status
N

The 7 mil Xcel mittens I bought last year were a vast improvement over the 5 mil lobster claws that consistently left my hands freezing last winter when the water was in the 30s.

Those dipped booties just seem like an invitation to tearing. Hard to be careful when you are freezing and can't wait to get in a hot shower.

I don't even like to talk about booties and gloves right now. The water is so warm it just makes me sad knowing I have to bust them out again...

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: Aruka] #2426673
11/29/15 01:28 AM
11/29/15 01:28 AM
flat
E
emtee Offline
Nep status
emtee  Offline
Nep status
E

flat
Boots: Rip Curl Flashbomb 5mm

They're comfortable and do their job. My sessions with them have been between 1-4 hours, they held up on the longer end of that. The water isn't very cold right now (mid 50's headed downward) but they are very warm. They're also really comfortable and don't feel bulky, the material in the sole is very soft. The issue I have with them is mostly design. I don't like all the velcro going on, especially the one around my ankle. It will eventually mess up the ankle of my suit and pull at the material.

Gloves: XCEL Drylock 5mm claws

They are very comfortable, have held up in long sessions. They go on very easy, fold the cuff over and boom they slide on. The water is not really really cold right now, but so far they have been nice and warm. No problem paddling with them, flushing or any of that.

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: Aruka] #2453535
02/03/16 08:46 PM
02/03/16 08:46 PM
flat
E
emtee Offline
Nep status
emtee  Offline
Nep status
E

flat
Update on the 5mm Flashbomb boots: probably bought them a little big (my normal shoe size). They were filling up with water and I couldn't last now that the water is high 30 low 40 area. Picked up the Xcel Dylock 7mm review below.

Xcel Drylock 7mm boots: these things are good. Super comfortable, very very warm. Pretty easy to get on and off. I really like the way these are constructed compared to my flashbombs (less velcro). Pay careful attention to the size, they seem to run big. I'm an 11.5 or 12 in most shoes and went with the 11, they're nice and snug and my feet have been literally near dry if not dry.

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: J_D_J] #2454047
02/05/16 01:39 AM
02/05/16 01:39 AM
East of Malibu
W
Witchipoo Offline
Michael Peterson status
Witchipoo  Offline
Michael Peterson status
W

East of Malibu
Originally Posted By: J_D_J
Last time I used booties was two years ago: Rubber Soul by Rip Curl, which are strapless booties dipped in liquid neoprene. Great sensation while surfing, as close to going without booties as I've experienced. However, they filled with water after about an hour, and looked like balloons. I routinely took them off, dumped out the water, and put them on again during surf sessions. Maybe it was a fit issue.

I almost bought a pair of those a couple of years back because they felt so good when I tried them on. As I was reaching for my credit card, my friend whispered "you'll be sorrrrry" in my ear. After everything I've read about them, I think he was right.

The only booties I can tolerate are Ninjas. Also, I sprained my ankle once and my doctor told me it was probably because my booties didn't fit right. The ones in question had hard rubber soles. Never again.

And don't any of you guys know the trick where you put the cardboard tube from a roll of toilet paper in each booties while it dries, and that way you don't get booty stank?

. . . and your little dog, too!
Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: Witchipoo] #2454098
02/05/16 03:33 AM
02/05/16 03:33 AM
Jacksonville Beach
S
Sharkbiscuit Offline
Phil Edwards status
Sharkbiscuit  Offline
Phil Edwards status
S

Jacksonville Beach
Originally Posted By: Witchipoo
And don't any of you guys know the trick where you put the cardboard tube from a roll of toilet paper in each booties while it dries, and that way you don't get booty stank?

Simba, all that the piss touches gets stank.

"Can you ask if she'll blow me too?" - Autoprax
Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: Aruka] #2921400
03/02/19 12:04 AM
03/02/19 12:04 AM
Beast Coast
C
ciscojaws Offline
Michael Peterson status
ciscojaws  Offline
Michael Peterson status
C

Beast Coast
Do you guys size your gloves tight, snug, or a bit big?

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: ciscojaws] #2924330
03/07/19 05:44 PM
03/07/19 05:44 PM
PNW
A
Aruka Offline OP
Miki Dora status
Aruka  Offline OP
Miki Dora status
A

PNW
Originally Posted By: ciscojaws
Do you guys size your gloves tight, snug, or a bit big?

Definitely not big. I try to go about as snug as I can handle without it being like painful. Gloves stretch out within the first few uses and once they get baggy they fill with water and it's a nightmare. The thinner they are the quicker and more they eventually stretch out. I am a large in work gloves or latex gloves but I go for medium wetsuit gloves and it usually works out.

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: Aruka] #2924396
03/07/19 07:05 PM
03/07/19 07:05 PM
M
MrDobalina Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
MrDobalina  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
M

I'm still nursing my 5mm Flashbomb Round toes.

I mistakenly bought split toes and had to give them away to a friend. My big toe would go numb.

For me, I like the 5 mil over the 3 mil. If it's cold enough to wear them, I don't want my feet to get cold. the extra thickness helps. If my feet are numb, what was the point of wearing boots?

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9