REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: KPindaOC] #1970701
12/20/12 07:07 AM
12/20/12 07:07 AM
O
ovrevik Offline
Gerry Lopez status
ovrevik  Offline
Gerry Lopez status
O

The water temp has dropped down to 36 f here right now.. That's unusually cold for this time of the year. Was caught of guard and hadn't ordered a new pair of winter booties. Only had 3mm and needles to say been freezing on my feet the last couple of weeks..until i slipped on a thin wool sock. Surfed for two hours without getting cold. Was fine even when i had to crawl through slush and ice back to my car. Way more comfy than thick winter booties, cheaper and probably warmer.. My biggest discovery so far this year.. Thinking of getting a thin, slim one piece in wool and a good 3mm suit.. Hmmm..

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: prjwebb] #1970702
12/21/12 03:27 AM
12/21/12 03:27 AM
The OC Life
H
Havoc Offline
Tom Curren status
Havoc  Offline
Tom Curren status
H

The OC Life
Quote:

I picked up the flashbomb booties last year. After one winter they were leaky and cold. I'm going to squeeze another winter out of them but wouldn't recommend them to anyone else.

while being super comfy, toebox being roomy, these flashbomb booties leak like crazy compared to the o'neil. lengthwise, at a size 9, they're similar to an o'neil. volume is slightly bigger so that may be why. I'm in between sizes on o'neil. o'neil 8 feels too big. ripcurl 9 feels good lengthwise, but too much volume. damn, hard to find ones that fit. i'll try my ninjas which I think may be the magic ticket.

"motions of rippage is initated by the hind leg"-Northern_Shores
"Lemme know. I got endson gas"-20W
Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: Havoc] #1970703
12/21/12 04:51 AM
12/21/12 04:51 AM
M
MACFISH Offline
Gerry Lopez status
MACFISH  Offline
Gerry Lopez status
M

picked up quiks cypher 3mm after using o'neill for years. my pair prior to the quiks were xcel drylock. cypher are warm, do not leak yet; however, I think the xcel fit a little more snug. the quiks have regular ankle strap as they were redesigned recently and internal split toe. Some water gets in over time but it's coming from the top not the seams, but not to the level of sloshing; chalking it up to skinny ankles, drylocks were about the same. I am also the guy wearing one boot in the summer too because of a bad injury to my foot. For some reason, the right boot wears out before the left?
One thing I will say about the cyphers is they do not stink even one tenth as bad as the xcels. Time will tell on longevity of cyphers. I wear 9.5 shoe and since no 1/2 sizes I get a 9 in xcel, quik or oneill. Lengthwise fit is all the same to me but I think the cyphers are slighty bigger in foot and toe box. YMMV.

..ready to crash and burn, I never learn.....
Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: MACFISH] #1970704
12/21/12 11:33 AM
12/21/12 11:33 AM
M
mar123 Offline
Nep status
mar123  Offline
Nep status
M

any feedback on xcel "dipped" booties? realize they are fairly new so not expecting durability analysis, but does the dipped rubber make a difference for warmth?

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: mar123] #1970705
12/21/12 11:37 AM
12/21/12 11:37 AM
Maine
J
jp30surf Offline
Billy Hamilton status
jp30surf  Offline
Billy Hamilton status
J

Maine
I have the dipped Ripcurl 5mm boots. They have the weight of a 3mm boot, but the warmth of a 5mm boot. I've only had them for a month so I can't speak for the durability of them, but they are warm and light and I can really feel my board, which is nice.

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: jp30surf] #1970706
12/24/12 11:09 PM
12/24/12 11:09 PM
The OC Life
H
Havoc Offline
Tom Curren status
Havoc  Offline
Tom Curren status
H

The OC Life
Quote:

I have the dipped Ripcurl 5mm boots. They have the weight of a 3mm boot, but the warmth of a 5mm boot. I've only had them for a month so I can't speak for the durability of them, but they are warm and light and I can really feel my board, which is nice.

i should've gotten a pair of those instead of the flashbombs. the flashbombs leak like crazy.

just picked up a pair of 3mil xcel drylock booties. felt super good. should be more watertight than the ripcurls.

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: Aruka] #1970707
12/28/12 01:54 PM
12/28/12 01:54 PM
AK
A
alaskasurfer Offline
Billy Hamilton status
alaskasurfer  Offline
Billy Hamilton status
A

AK
My Rip Curl dipped booties just ripped out, 1 1/2 to 2 months of use, not going that route again...

There is a rapture on the lonely shore,
There is society where none intrudes,
By the deep sea, with music in its roar.

Lord Byron
Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: Aruka] #1970708
12/28/12 05:51 PM
12/28/12 05:51 PM
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
F
FourierT Offline
Grom
FourierT  Offline
Grom
F

Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
Wore Rip Curl 3mm split toes for ages, but switched to Xcel Drylock round toe last year and love them. Warm and good board feel despit the round toe, and my toes are more comfortable without the split.

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: FourierT] #1970709
12/28/12 06:05 PM
12/28/12 06:05 PM
NorOR
S
SeaFoamGreen Offline
Nep status
SeaFoamGreen  Offline
Nep status
S

NorOR
The neo fondue seems like a funny gimmick to me?

I have had several sessions in Patagucci R4 split toes. Not super comfy, for my feet at least, but warm. Usually wear a 7mill and these are 5mill with the wool lining. Nice board feel as they are thin, but wondering how they will hold up after rock walks. Definite seepage as you enter the water, but they heat up quick. Really like the R2 gloves, 1.5 lined with wool as well.

Still the 7mill Hotline Split toes are the most comfortable booties I have ever had. They just fit my feet well. At little thick board-feel-wise but durable and cushy for rock walks. Not sure why I bought into the cool aid, but wanted to try something new and got 20% off.

May be going to hell in a bucket.... but at least I'm enjoying the ride!
Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: alaskasurfer] #1970710
12/28/12 07:55 PM
12/28/12 07:55 PM
The OC Life
H
Havoc Offline
Tom Curren status
Havoc  Offline
Tom Curren status
H

The OC Life
Quote:

My Rip Curl dipped booties just ripped out, 1 1/2 to 2 months of use, not going that route again...

saw a pair that was ripped from someone trying them on. they need to dip them with neoprene that is double sided bonded to nylon.

anyways, flashbomb boots were a waste of $$. leaky and cold. wish I could take them back.

on a brighter note, xcel drylock booties are da bomb! thanks retodd for the advice. perfect fit for me in a size 9. my foot size is 9.5 w/ high arch. could've saved myself some $$ if I just got a pair of these from the get go.

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: Havoc] #1970711
12/28/12 08:13 PM
12/28/12 08:13 PM
UK
P
prjwebb Offline
Michael Peterson status
prjwebb  Offline
Michael Peterson status
P

UK
Yeah the flashbombs aren't really up to par. I'm tempted to try the Patagonia wool lined booties but they are way too expensive here...

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: ovrevik] #1970712
12/29/12 11:20 PM
12/29/12 11:20 PM
P
pee_pee Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
pee_pee  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
P

whoa-great idea on the wool socks under booties! not cold enough where I am for this but I could see how this would work (my patagonia r2 is super warm due to wool-but heavy-probably not as much a factor with booties though).

When Nike came into surfing I thought for sure they'd come up with some great booty product-with the footwear synergy and everything-might even have gained them real organic credibility within the surf world-instead they tried to sell tshirts and trunks.

Quote:

The water temp has dropped down to 36 f here right now.. That's unusually cold for this time of the year. Was caught of guard and hadn't ordered a new pair of winter booties. Only had 3mm and needles to say been freezing on my feet the last couple of weeks..until i slipped on a thin wool sock. Surfed for two hours without getting cold. Was fine even when i had to crawl through slush and ice back to my car. Way more comfy than thick winter booties, cheaper and probably warmer.. My biggest discovery so far this year.. Thinking of getting a thin, slim one piece in wool and a good 3mm suit.. Hmmm..

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: Havoc] #1970713
12/30/12 01:12 AM
12/30/12 01:12 AM
LI,NY/ TI,NC
K
kdropin Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
kdropin  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
K

LI,NY/ TI,NC
Quote:

Quote:

saw a pair that was ripped from someone trying them on. they need to dip them with neoprene that is double sided bonded to nylon.

anyways, flashbomb boots were a waste of $$. leaky and cold. wish I could take them back.

on a brighter note, xcel drylock booties are da bomb! thanks retodd for the advice. perfect fit for me in a size 9. my foot size is 9.5 w/ high arch. could've saved myself some $$ if I just got a pair of these from the get go.

theres a reason why ne surfers primarily rock xcel

Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: kdropin] #1970714
12/30/12 01:23 AM
12/30/12 01:23 AM
Oceanside, CA
O
Oceanslide Offline
Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oceanslide  Offline
Rabbitt Bartholomew status
O

Oceanside, CA
I have Xcel drylocks and they are very comfy and barely notice
them when up and surfing. I don't think any boot will keep
from leaking for a long period of time if you flip them
inside out regularly to dry. The sheer pressure put on those
seems when flipping them in and out has to wear them down...
unless you don't mind the serious funk that come with
keeping the insides damp.

For those that like to talk $hit about wearing booties
in SoCal, blow me. When the air is 37 degrees, even if the
water doesn't require booties at 59ish, it makes the walk
to and from the water bearable. It's been farking COLD
the last few days and I can still feel my feet (not hands)
when I get to my car.

"Surfing reminds us of how good life is."
Oceansliding
Re: Booties and Gloves thread [Re: rowjimmytour] #1970715
12/30/12 01:26 AM
12/30/12 01:26 AM
HB, CA
I
ifallalot Offline
Duke status
ifallalot  Offline
Duke status
I

HB, CA
Quote:

great info for all those brave souls in southern Ca who dare the cold w/ only a 4/3 booties and hood

The air was cold asfuck this morning. I half wished I had my 5/4/3 hooded in the car instead of the garage UNTIL I got in the water. The water feels balmy compared to where I grew up. And I've lived here nearly 3 years so I should be acclimated by now

Anyway, good thread for those who live in cold places and/or wear booties and such in not-so-cold places

My entire existence is a failed gotcha
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9