REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: is frontside surfing more difficult than backside? [Re: nrthcty] #1893227
03/28/12 04:44 PM
03/28/12 04:44 PM
Santa Cruz, CA
A
avt__ Offline
Gerry Lopez status
avt__  Offline
Gerry Lopez status
A

Santa Cruz, CA
Hell no. Way harder for me backside. And I'm goofy & surf rights 75% of the time.

Re: is frontside surfing more difficult than backside? [Re: avt__] #1893228
03/28/12 05:52 PM
03/28/12 05:52 PM
S
SharkBoy Offline
Miki Dora status
SharkBoy  Offline
Miki Dora status
S

my bottom to top turns are better backhand.

My ability to take off later, deeper and get speed and make sections are far better frontside.
floaters and tubes and cutbacks are better frontside

(although I agree with 000 that you are more likely to bog fs) but I find the ability to rebound and reset my line much better on frontside cutbacks
airs also better frontside.

so, simply put, my top to bottom surfing and position might be better (on the sort of waves that allows that type of surfin), backside.

but I can surf and catch great range of waves and sections frontside

Like a blind man at an orgie, I was gonna have to feel my way around.
Re: is frontside surfing more difficult than backside? [Re: bird.] #1893229
03/28/12 05:55 PM
03/28/12 05:55 PM
Vancouver
F
Fruitbison Offline
Billy Hamilton status
Fruitbison  Offline
Billy Hamilton status
F

Vancouver
Quote:

Quote:

Skateboarding only backside turns has really helped smooth my balance and weight distribution out. It hurt though.

Interesting. My natural inclination when skating bowls/ramps is to turn backside. It's frontside that's the challenge for me.

This is where worlds collide. Isn't backside in the bowl/pool frontside in the wave?

I just tend to lose my balance when I'm turning towards my ass-side.

Skating has helped me with this, mainly because I can go and obsessively execute the same turn over and over again

Killer waves and beers? I'm there.
Re: is frontside surfing more difficult than backside? [Re: Fruitbison] #1893230
03/28/12 06:21 PM
03/28/12 06:21 PM
NorOR
S
SeaFoamGreen Offline
Nep status
SeaFoamGreen  Offline
Nep status
S

NorOR
FS vs BS, skating vert vs. surfing. Should be the same. Back or front faces the wave/transition. Right? At least that's what I think?

Funny thou. Learning to skate vert/1/2 pipes back in the day, backside turns/grinds/airs were always easier than going frontside. Came down to overall flow and not seeing you re-entry frontside.

Where in surfing, I could pump down the line frontside and make snaps before I could even go backside. Now I think I can smash it harder backside. Guess it makes sense thou because backside grinds were always easier for me in skating. And as most people have said its easier to generate speed get barreled etc. frontside but easier to hit the lip backside.

May be going to hell in a bucket.... but at least I'm enjoying the ride!
Re: is frontside surfing more difficult than backside? [Re: Fruitbison] #1893231
03/28/12 06:22 PM
03/28/12 06:22 PM
I
indodreams Offline
Nep status
indodreams  Offline
Nep status
I

When i first started surfing for the first few weeks i could only go backhand, i skated so as soon as i could catch an unbroken wave i could stand up and trim, i found backhand easier because from skating ramps its easier.

But it didn't take long only a few months before i found forehand much easier also all the waves even banks where i live are on forehand, so i guess its a practice factor..

Re: is frontside surfing more difficult than backside? [Re: lorcar] #1893232
03/28/12 06:44 PM
03/28/12 06:44 PM
W
wwhisperer Offline
Nep status
wwhisperer  Offline
Nep status
W

Heel-side does seem to allow for more power, just from physiology, but has less sensitivity.

Toes have to rely on the strength of the Achilles tendon, as I found out when I ruptured one, and calf muscles. But there seems to be more control.

One of the shaper dudes should do a clinic on asymmetric rail shaping/sanding to adjust for this (Brian )

I'm guessing more curve and less edge on the heel side for more grip.

Re: is frontside surfing more difficult than backside? [Re: lorcar] #1893233
03/28/12 07:44 PM
03/28/12 07:44 PM
The OC Life
H
Havoc Offline
Tom Curren status
Havoc  Offline
Tom Curren status
H

The OC Life
my biggest issue frontside is getting my back foot back and also getting power and leaning into my frontside hacks and cutbacks. easier to get the board on rail backside vs frontside.

"motions of rippage is initated by the hind leg"-Northern_Shores
"Lemme know. I got endson gas"-20W
Re: is frontside surfing more difficult than backside? [Re: Havoc] #1893234
03/28/12 07:46 PM
03/28/12 07:46 PM
The OC Life
H
Havoc Offline
Tom Curren status
Havoc  Offline
Tom Curren status
H

The OC Life
also frontside reos and lippers are way easier as are floaters and end section smashes. backside I can't do a floater or end section reo to save my life but I can do a backside roundhouse w/ high foam rebound easier than a frontside one.

"motions of rippage is initated by the hind leg"-Northern_Shores
"Lemme know. I got endson gas"-20W
Re: is frontside surfing more difficult than backside? [Re: enframed] #1893235
03/28/12 09:04 PM
03/28/12 09:04 PM
000 Offline
Duke status
000  Offline
Duke status

Quote:

Quote:

1 things for sure, people dig rail much more often on frontside cutbacks

Yes. I notice this in myself and in others. Why is that?

backside cutbacks your hips/shoulders dont turn as much into the turn. the overtwisting frontside on too flat a face at too low a speed puts more front foot pressure and sinks the rail too deep in towards the nose. the layback turn corrects that. by putting mostly back foot pressure. try turning the corner on your next frontside cutback with less torso twist, and your rail is less likely to dig

Last edited by 000; 03/28/12 09:08 PM.
Re: is frontside surfing more difficult than backside? [Re: Havoc] #1893236
03/28/12 09:06 PM
03/28/12 09:06 PM
Camarillo, Ca
5pointnine Offline
Grom
5pointnine  Offline
Grom

Camarillo, Ca
cant go backside to save my life,feels really awkward to me, I can get some good top and bottom turns in,but just does not feel natural like frontside.

Re: is frontside surfing more difficult than backside? [Re: 5pointnine] #1893237
03/29/12 03:14 AM
03/29/12 03:14 AM
flatMed
L
lorcar Offline OP
Gerry Lopez status
lorcar  Offline OP
Gerry Lopez status
L

flatMed
after reading all this for the first time I felt privileged to be goofy!

Re: is frontside surfing more difficult than backside? [Re: Havoc] #1893238
03/29/12 04:12 AM
03/29/12 04:12 AM
T
toddo Offline
Nep status
toddo  Offline
Nep status
T

Quote:

also frontside reos and lippers are way easier as are floaters and end section smashes. backside I can't do a floater or end section reo to save my life but I can do a backside roundhouse w/ high foam rebound easier than a frontside one.

thats because its easier to look where you're going and spot the foam/lip to rebound off on your backhand.

my biggest problem with fronthand roundhouses is that i want to keep looking down the line, so i get to the midpoint of the turn and release the tail, rather than look back to the foam and keep engaging the rail.

Re: is frontside surfing more difficult than backside? [Re: SeaFoamGreen] #1893239
03/29/12 04:56 AM
03/29/12 04:56 AM
L
LoganV Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
LoganV  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
L

Quote:

FS vs BS, skating vert vs. surfing. Should be the same. Back or front faces the wave/transition. Right? At least that's what I think?

I think you are correct.
Quote:

Funny thou. Learning to skate vert/1/2 pipes back in the day, backside turns/grinds/airs were always easier than going frontside. Came down to overall flow and not seeing you re-entry frontside.

Where in surfing, I could pump down the line frontside and make snaps before I could even go backside. Now I think I can smash it harder backside. Guess it makes sense thou because backside grinds were always easier for me in skating. And as most people have said its easier to generate speed get barreled etc. frontside but easier to hit the lip backside.

I had the same experience when learning to skate ramps.
Interestingly though it was the opposite when learning to snowboard pipes. I only could do alley oops on the backside wall in the beginning.
Find them super hard now when doing them with some air.

I think it comes down to the fact that it's generally easier to have control on the toe edge as other have said. Think about it, pumping, bottom turns, going vertical is all/primarily toeside edge on your FS. The tricky part on a FS reo i find is transitioning a bit to the heelside edge when you hit the lip. Backside cutback is all toe side control and you can easily see where you are going.

Re: is frontside surfing more difficult than backside? [Re: LoganV] #1893240
03/29/12 02:54 PM
03/29/12 02:54 PM
N.S.D
N
nrthcty Offline
Gerry Lopez status
nrthcty  Offline
Gerry Lopez status
N

N.S.D
I was thinking about this more, and I think that difficulty with backside may be related to a dominant eye type issue. A lot of what stance you have is probably related to which one of your eyes is dominant. I notice that even riding my motorcycle I do not feel as comfortable turning what would be backside if surfing - im goofyfoot so right turns on my bike feel similar to backside bottom turns on a wave - just not as intuitive, I have to force my self to lean into the turn as far as I should etc - and in the case of the motorcycle there is no heelside/toeside, front foot/back foot thing, so I think it is my eye dominance.

Re: is frontside surfing more difficult than backside? [Re: SeaFoamGreen] #1893241
03/29/12 03:39 PM
03/29/12 03:39 PM
Vancouver
F
Fruitbison Offline
Billy Hamilton status
Fruitbison  Offline
Billy Hamilton status
F

Vancouver
Quote:

That's what I thought too, but then I was watching some vids on pool/bowl skating and the riders called a turn backside because they scraped the coping with their heelside as they entered back into the bowl on their frontside, so a frontside turn was heelside because that was where the lip hit was taking place. Too bloody confusing.

Killer waves and beers? I'm there.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3