REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
How bad is it to leave your board in your car? #184290
09/09/03 02:30 PM
09/09/03 02:30 PM
South Bay
S
surfdad Offline OP
Tom Curren status
surfdad  Offline OP
Tom Curren status
S

South Bay
I leave my board in my truck. I was wondering what the effects of being in a car when it gets hot will do to my board. could it have helped the delamination happen? does it make it yellow? do you guys do the same? I usually have it my truck everyday to go surf if I get the chance and it ends up in truck more than in my garage. it is always in a FCS bag. if it is bad for my board, is there any way to help the situation besides not leaving in my truck. I know I would miss out out some sessions if it wasn't with me.

Re: How bad is it to leave your board in your car? #184291
09/09/03 02:43 PM
Newport, RI
B
barnacle Offline
Michael Peterson status
barnacle  Offline
Michael Peterson status
B

Newport, RI
It is pretty bad, If its real hot your board can actually warp and twist. Other wise it does cause delams.
This made me think of an article that they had on the Harbour website about twisting and how to fix it- put it back in the car and bake it using weights (bricks etc) to straighten it back out. Made me smile and laugh in my head. ( i dont doubt rich harbour it is just funny)

quote:
HEAT
Surfboards are very sensitive to heat. Most polyester resin begins to noticeably soften at only 150 degrees. Foam becomes very unstable at about the same temperature. I have seen surfboards get amazing twists from improper storage or exposure to heat. More than one customer has brought back a fin that is severely warped. I have to inform him that the fin and surfboard have been exposed to excessive heat; usually in a car while it is resting on the fin. This fin is not ruined! Heat a large pot of water to 160 degrees. Using tongs, immerse it for about 30 seconds. Pull it out and, using potholders, bend it straight (it should be as soft as salt-water taffy). After it cools it is as good as new.

A heat twisted board can be fixed with offset weights clamped outside the rail on the two high ends of the surfboard. I made a set of clamps from a pair of one by one pieces of wood about 24" long with 4" screws and wing nuts at each end. On a warm day, put the board inside of a car. Ad the weights to the appropriate ends and clamp with the screws. Close the car and wait till it gets about 160 degrees inside. Take the board out with clamps and weights still in place. Put it on a set of level saw horses and lower the temperature with cool water. Check the twist. You may have to repeat this process or, if luck is with you, that is it.

Re: How bad is it to leave your board in your car? #184292
Shangri-La
W
Waldo Offline
Duke status
Waldo  Offline
Duke status
W

Shangri-La
Every little crack in the glass lets a bit of moisture seep in. Get the board hot and that water expands. Delamination is the result. At the very least, park it in the shade and crack the windows open.

You work in the graphics biz, no? Bunch of eclectic, creative types? Would it really be a problem to bring the board in and stash it in the office somewhere? I usd to do that on occasion. Or are you on the 25th floor of a corporate tower?

Re: How bad is it to leave your board in your car? #184293
09/09/03 02:46 PM
09/09/03 02:46 PM
hermosa beach, ca
T
tharealHB Offline
Michael Peterson status
tharealHB  Offline
Michael Peterson status
T

hermosa beach, ca
hmmm. i do the same surfdad. i always leave my windows open but don't know if that is enough. sometimes i walk out to the garage here and pour some water on the board. don't think that helps but...

on a side note, gonna call that shaper up today or tomorrow and will try to get some info for you.

on another side note, it was fun this morning in MB. [Cool]

Re: How bad is it to leave your board in your car? #184294
09/09/03 02:47 PM
San Clemente
T
tom@daumtooling Offline
Michael Peterson status
tom@daumtooling  Offline
Michael Peterson status
T

San Clemente
The yellowing is from UV degradation. That won't happen if your board is in a bag. The heat will help faciltate delamination. I leave a board in my Explorer all the time. But, I live and work in San Clemente and leave my windows cracked to keep the heat down inside. Heat is the biggest concern aside from incidental dings or theft. But, it does get you more surf opportunities.

Re: How bad is it to leave your board in your car? #184295
CA
S
stu dog Offline
Duke status
stu dog  Offline
Duke status
S

CA
park in shaded areas

Re: How bad is it to leave your board in your car? #184296
09/09/03 02:48 PM
09/09/03 02:48 PM
Blue Oyster Bar
B
bobsurf Offline
Tom Curren status
bobsurf  Offline
Tom Curren status
B

Blue Oyster Bar
I've seen a buddies new board delam in a couple of spots cause it was left in the sun and got too hot. I'm very cautious about it now. My boards are in my office, but I get funny looks walking out of here in my fullsuit.

Re: How bad is it to leave your board in your car? #184297
09/09/03 02:49 PM
09/09/03 02:49 PM
San Diego, CA, USA
S
Spray92109 Offline
Duke status
Spray92109  Offline
Duke status
S

San Diego, CA, USA
I haven't had delam in a long, long time. Boards from reputable glassers in the last 10 years, treated properly, usually don't delam until they're ready to be tossed anyway.

I'd bet that excess heat caused your delamination.

There's a guy here who has a truck with a few solar panels on the roof and a couple muffin fans blowing air through it. More sun = higher fan speed. You could rig something like that for cheap from an industrial surplus store.

Re: How bad is it to leave your board in your car? #184298
09/09/03 02:53 PM
Shangri-La
W
Waldo Offline
Duke status
Waldo  Offline
Duke status
W

Shangri-La
quote:
Originally posted by Spray92109:

There's a guy here who has a truck with a few solar panels on the roof and a couple muffin fans blowing air through it. More sun = higher fan speed. You could rig something like that for cheap from an industrial surplus store.

Can't remember where I've seen it, but those rigs are availble as a kit. And strangely, I think Brookstone or Sharper Image may sell something like that too [Confused]

Re: How bad is it to leave your board in your car? #184299
Los Angeles, CA USA
C
Classic427 Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
Classic427  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
C

Los Angeles, CA USA
A bag doesn't help that much when it's in a closed car with the windows rolled up on a hot summer day in Cali. If you're leaving it in the bed of your truck, then a bag does help out a lot, since it blocks heat and uv rays, while still staying relatively cool. Now I always take my boards out of the car if it's going to sit there for more than an hour. I had a Rusty fish that had a cracked FCS plug that I didn't know about. I left it in the car with a sock and came back a couple hours later and there was this huge delam bubble around the plug. It's now sitting in my garage with my broken JC and my friend's snapped McTavish waiting for me to attempt to fix them. DON'T LEAVE YOUR BOARD IN YOUR CAR!

Re: How bad is it to leave your board in your car? #184300
09/09/03 02:59 PM
NJ
H
hackeysaky Offline
Miki Dora status
hackeysaky  Offline
Miki Dora status
H

NJ
Generally it is a bad thing to do.

True, the heat can cause delamination. It can often cause the hot board to suck in water through the smallest of cracks when immersed in cooler water (the air inside the foam expands and leaks out of these cracks. When the board is submerged, the air in the foam contracts and water is sucked back through those little cracks). I swear that this is the cause of those suddenly-appearing brown spots in areas where you cannot even see a ding or crack.

I often keep a tried-but-true (read: beat up and ugly as sin but works; it is more repair than board) board in my car if I know there is a swell but am short on time between work and darkness. If it gets wrecked by the heat I will not cry about it. Ironically, that board seems to get beaten-up the least.

Re: How bad is it to leave your board in your car? #184301
South Bay
S
surfdad Offline OP
Tom Curren status
surfdad  Offline OP
Tom Curren status
S

South Bay
I don't think it ever gets that hot in my truck. I live and work by the coast and it is always pretty cool. I will start to leave a couple windows cracked to help it not heat up too much. I am working evenings now so it is in my garage mostly. but i tend to leave it in the truck because I end up putting in and taking out and putting in and so on and so on and so on.

Tha realHB, who is the shaper? is it the older guy that shapes by me in hermosa? or someone else? very curious as to who it is, then I can make a decision in my head of what I really want, and now much it will run us. Have you thought of sending the shaped blank to moonlight for glassing and artwork by the boys. don't know how we could get that done except for driving them down ourselves. it might be worth it for a good glass job and some artwork. let me know ASAP.

Re: How bad is it to leave your board in your car? #184302
09/09/03 03:16 PM
09/09/03 03:16 PM
hermosa beach, ca
T
tharealHB Offline
Michael Peterson status
tharealHB  Offline
Michael Peterson status
T

hermosa beach, ca
i will call him tonight and get the info surfdad [Cool]

Re: How bad is it to leave your board in your car? #184303
09/10/03 04:45 AM
09/10/03 04:45 AM
B
B4U2 Offline
Grom
B4U2  Offline
Grom
B

It depends on the position of the board in the vehicle. If the sun coming through the windows shines directly on the board it will heat it up so hot that it will bubble the glass. I keep my boards in my Mazda MPV placed on edge on the floor between the back seats. They are below the level where sun can shine on them and the boards stay in great shape. When I am driving the boards are out of the way and very safe to transport. I can even use all of my seats for people to sit on with two boards in the van. Also, the MPV van has 6 openable windows and allows good air circulation. If you store your board horizontally in a car or truck and the sun gets to it, whether covered or not, you will shorten the life of the board. It also melts you wax and really makes a mess in the board bag.

Re: How bad is it to leave your board in your car? #184304
09/10/03 04:48 AM
09/10/03 04:48 AM
South Bay, CA
S
Someone Offline
Miki Dora status
Someone  Offline
Miki Dora status
S

South Bay, CA
I left my board in a board bag in my car in the sun on a 100 degree day. When I opened my car it smelled of raw resin. That can't be good [Big Grin]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32