REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Joe Bauguess, RK, Hydrodynamica drama - JoeB's Last, Worst Wipeout [Re: FishFace] #1840223
12/13/11 03:42 PM
J
juan_guzman Offline
Michael Peterson status
juan_guzman  Offline
Michael Peterson status
J

Quote:

all he can really do right now is send out 'cease and desist' letters. the name minisimmons is so much in the public domain as a generic descriptor that it will be near impossible to enforce that trademark.

Recognition in the face of what RK did, the bump for his reputation/business, and a historical note as someone who did synthesize this awesome thing that blew up. I think that's what he wants.

"Obviously, you've never chopped broccoli."
Re: Joe Bauguess, RK, Hydrodynamica drama - JoeB's Last, Worst Wipeout [Re: juan_guzman] #1840224
Del Mar, CA
F
FishFace Offline OP
Miki Dora status
FishFace  Offline OP
Miki Dora status
F

Del Mar, CA
i dont beleive that minisimmons in the side by side is a Joe B model.

Re: Joe Bauguess, RK, Hydrodynamica drama - JoeB's Last, Worst Wipeout [Re: FishFace] #1840225
12/13/11 03:45 PM
12/13/11 03:45 PM
J
juan_guzman Offline
Michael Peterson status
juan_guzman  Offline
Michael Peterson status
J

Quote:

i dont beleive that minisimmons in the side by side is a Joe B model.

By the URL it's the original "Casper" which is the one in the video, RK painted over the JB logo. And there ya go. That's fckd.

Re: Joe Bauguess, RK, Hydrodynamica drama - JoeB's Last, Worst Wipeout [Re: juan_guzman] #1840226
12/13/11 04:34 PM
12/13/11 04:34 PM
O
obproud Offline
Nep status
obproud  Offline
Nep status
O

Quote:

Quote:

all he can really do right now is send out 'cease and desist' letters. the name minisimmons is so much in the public domain as a generic descriptor that it will be near impossible to enforce that trademark.

Recognition in the face of what RK did, the bump for his reputation/business, and a historical note as someone who did synthesize this awesome thing that blew up. I think that's what he wants.

He wants recognition for copying Bob Simmons?

Sorry dude, you copy someone else and someone else copies them too, they are not copying you since you copied first. lol

Re: Joe Bauguess, RK, Hydrodynamica drama - JoeB's Last, Worst Wipeout [Re: obproud] #1840227
12/13/11 04:39 PM
12/13/11 04:39 PM
J
juan_guzman Offline
Michael Peterson status
juan_guzman  Offline
Michael Peterson status
J

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

He wants recognition for copying Bob Simmons?

Sorry dude, you copy someone else and someone else copies them too, they are not copying you since you copied first. lol

Show me the original.

Re: Joe Bauguess, RK, Hydrodynamica drama - JoeB's Last, Worst Wipeout [Re: juan_guzman] #1840228
12/13/11 04:49 PM
12/13/11 04:49 PM
O
obproud Offline
Nep status
obproud  Offline
Nep status
O

Isn't that a picture of it up there next to the "casper"?

Are there not first hand accounts of 6' versions that Simmons made? Isn't that what J.B. was trying to recreate?

What he did just isn't that original. I don't fault him for copy writing the name, though... Mini-Simmons. If he came up with it, and wants to protect it, that's cool by me. IMHO, a waste of time, none the less.

Re: Joe Bauguess, RK, Hydrodynamica drama - JoeB's Last, Worst Wipeout [Re: obproud] #1840229
12/13/11 05:22 PM
12/13/11 05:22 PM
J
juan_guzman Offline
Michael Peterson status
juan_guzman  Offline
Michael Peterson status
J

Quote:

Isn't that a picture of it up there next to the "casper"?

That's a wooden pig of a longboard.

Quote:

Are there not first hand accounts of 6' versions that Simmons made? Isn't that what J.B. was trying to recreate?

That's my point. "Once upon a time, there was a 6' version of this giant pig of a wooden longboard." There ya go. I'd say Joe B deserves a lot of credit for taking a thread of distant memory + a wooden board nobody would call hi-perf, and making RK a really good surfboard.

Quote:

What he did just isn't that original.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/synthesis

If it's just a copy, you won't mind if I take the one on the left and you can have the one on the right...

Re: Joe Bauguess, RK, Hydrodynamica drama - JoeB's Last, Worst Wipeout [Re: juan_guzman] #1840230
12/13/11 05:52 PM
12/13/11 05:52 PM
J
juan_guzman Offline
Michael Peterson status
juan_guzman  Offline
Michael Peterson status
J

The omission is here too and RK is credited with the board: http://mypaipoboards.org/interviews/JohnElwell/JohnElwell_2010-0823.shtml
No mention of Joe Bauguess there.
Photo caption: "Richard Kenvin Mini-Simmons, ca. 2007. Photos courtesy Richard Kenvin."

"Hydrodynamica" has been copyrighted for the movie and book."

By Kenvin.

Last edited by juan_guzman; 12/13/11 05:55 PM.

Re: Joe Bauguess, RK, Hydrodynamica drama - JoeB's Last, Worst Wipeout [Re: juan_guzman] #1840231
12/13/11 06:55 PM
12/13/11 06:55 PM
O
obproud Offline
Nep status
obproud  Offline
Nep status
O

I don't (and I don't think that most do) consider scaling down the size of a board (40 years post shortboard revolution), creating a novel surfboard design, worthy of mention and recognition.

If you do, right on! Go get creative!

Maybe you will be mentioned in the future for creating the Mini-Roy-Stewart.

Re: Joe Bauguess, RK, Hydrodynamica drama - JoeB's Last, Worst Wipeout [Re: SurfZombie] #1840232
12/13/11 07:00 PM
12/13/11 07:00 PM
Next to the Rocks
K
Kevmo Offline
Nep status
Kevmo  Offline
Nep status
K

Next to the Rocks

And, from what I understood, he was "going after" guys using the mini simmons name sending out letters threatening lawsuits. But maybe I misunderstood.

My intention always was that no court in their right mind would side with him due to the similarity in designs between his "new design" and other boards from eras past and present.

It's not the shape thats TM'd it's the name Mini Simmons...

Call it a mini or a mini sims, or whatever.....
Move on and leave Joe alone, you drama queens...

Re: Joe Bauguess, RK, Hydrodynamica drama - JoeB's Last, Worst Wipeout [Re: obproud] #1840233
12/13/11 07:27 PM
12/13/11 07:27 PM
J
juan_guzman Offline
Michael Peterson status
juan_guzman  Offline
Michael Peterson status
J

Quote:

I don't (and I don't think that most do) consider scaling down the size of a board, creating a novel surfboard design, worthy of mention and recognition.

RK did. RK whitewashed JB out of the picture for some reason.

The pic on the page is the original Casper mini-simmons: "The boards shown here are the result of collaborations between Simmons historian John Elwell, Hydrodynamica project director Richard Kenvin, keel fin craftsman Larry Gephart and shapers Hank Warner, Larry Mabile, and Carl Ekstrom."

If you watch this video, you can see JB's name flash by in the original logo:

http://theswiftmovement.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default

http://hydrodynamica.blogspot.com/2009/04/return-of-joe-bauguess.html

http://throughtheeyesofaghost.blogspot.com/search?q=bauguess

"The Mini-Simmons evolved during the filming of Hydrodynamica and has brought Simmons to life for an entire generation of surfers more than five decades after his death. Accounts of Bob Simmons riding short foam and balsa boards at Windansea in the early Fifties inspired us to build a series of short Simmons planing hulls for Hydrodynamica in 2006. Another stimulus was a 56 Simmons-inspired planing hull that Al Nelson built and rode at Windansea in 1956. The that were built for the Hydrodynamica project were intentionally finished in pure matte white to accentuate the aerodynamic form of the planing hull and illustrate its relationship to Californias modern design movement of the mid-twentieth century."

Re: Joe Bauguess, RK, Hydrodynamica drama - JoeB's Last, Worst Wipeout [Re: juan_guzman] #1840234
12/13/11 07:37 PM
12/13/11 07:37 PM
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
R
Retropete Offline
Miki Dora status
Retropete  Offline
Miki Dora status
R

Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Quote:

The omission is here too and RK is credited with the board: http://mypaipoboards.org/interviews/JohnElwell/JohnElwell_2010-0823.shtml
No mention of Joe Bauguess there.
Photo caption: "Richard Kenvin Mini-Simmons, ca. 2007. Photos courtesy Richard Kenvin."

"Hydrodynamica" has been copyrighted for the movie and book."

By Kenvin.

New title: HYDRO-SCAM-IKA
or if it never gets made: HYDRO-SHAM-IKA

Caution: excessive Kool Aid consumption may lead to a bitter aftertaste!
Re: Joe Bauguess, RK, Hydrodynamica drama - JoeB's Last, Worst Wipeout [Re: Retropete] #1840235
12/13/11 07:52 PM
12/13/11 07:52 PM
12rule Offline
Michael Peterson status
12rule  Offline
Michael Peterson status

Tempest in a teapot.
1. I never see people riding those things. No one I know has one. I live in San Diego.
2. The guys ripping on those boards would rip on anything.
3. The design looks well suited to small point waves, like small scorpions or small rincon.
4. Kind of fishy that Joe B doesn't get recognition.

Re: Joe Bauguess, RK, Hydrodynamica drama - JoeB's Last, Worst Wipeout [Re: Retropete] #1840236
12/13/11 08:05 PM
12/13/11 08:05 PM
J
juan_guzman Offline
Michael Peterson status
juan_guzman  Offline
Michael Peterson status
J

If you right-click and click View Image, you can read page 3 of this without any problem: http://hydrodynamica.blogspot.com/2008/11/remember-future_19.html

Note the author.

The guy got marketed 6 ways from Sunday. Seems like no matter what happened(?), you can't just delete him out of the list of collaborators, and Joe B has a right to be known as THE guy who invented the thing.

Simmons was a trimmer, into parallel outline, didnt think noses mattered, was into super-lame rails, hated rocker, and the fins and concave above are crude as hell. The S-deck was cosmetic in the mini-, a cosmetic inclusion insisted on by RK. JB tuned out as many of Simmons' wrong ideas as RK would allow, and kept the good.

RK is obviously very into Eames and mid-century design. "Design" as in #1 aesthetics mixed with #2 function.

Bauguess made him a super-functional surfboard using 30 years worth of surfboard understanding - the Hydrodynamica of the name - to synthesize a new thing, with #1 function, and #2 aesthetics.

If it had worked like that Eames chair in the pic sits, we wouldnt be having this conversation.

http://www.fishbrotherhood.net/2008_03_01_archive.html

Re: Joe Bauguess, RK, Hydrodynamica drama - JoeB's Last, Worst Wipeout [Re: 12rule] #1840237
12/13/11 08:16 PM
12/13/11 08:16 PM
000 Offline
Duke status
000  Offline
Duke status

"I deserve some credit for creating the Mini-Simmons, Bauguess says, citing a flatter bottom and sharper outside rail as only two of the features he added that could not have come from Simmons."" and he used his own rockers?
so it wasnt even a copy of a simmons, which rk wanted.
but those were designed for 50s surfing. and rk surfs way way better on a 90s thruster anyhow. a mini simmons isnt very much like a real simmons.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7