REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
More Cheyne Horan footage: Early Zot and thruster surfing #1723984
04/22/11 08:48 PM
04/22/11 08:48 PM
Occupied Dixie
R
revolutionsurfer Offline OP
Gerry Lopez status
revolutionsurfer  Offline OP
Gerry Lopez status
R

Occupied Dixie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeCf5e4JO6k revolutionsurfer.com

This is one of the boards I get asked about the most. Super wide tail Lazor Zap some called the Astron Zot. The last bit is on thrusters in the late 80's and early 90's.

And now the wheels of heaven stop
You feel the devil's riding crop
Get ready for the future
It is murder
Re: More Cheyne Horan footage: Early Zot and thruster surfing [Re: revolutionsurfer] #1723985
04/22/11 11:17 PM
04/22/11 11:17 PM
Ventura, CA
P
pickles Offline
Miki Dora status
pickles  Offline
Miki Dora status
P

Ventura, CA
Now, I'm in my early 30s, so maybe I don't get something here, but to me its night and day on lazer zap vs the thruster. The McCoy just seems to not work at all. The guy is ripping pretty hard on the thruster at the end.

No longer accepting offers to surf for money.
Re: More Cheyne Horan footage: Early Zot and thruster surfing [Re: pickles] #1723986
04/23/11 02:22 AM
04/23/11 02:22 AM
Occupied Dixie
R
Gerry Lopez status
Gerry Lopez status
R

Occupied Dixie
Quote:

Now, I'm in my early 30s, so maybe I don't get something here, but to me its night and day on lazer zap vs the thruster. The McCoy just seems to not work at all. The guy is ripping pretty hard on the thruster at the end.

He was riding the McCoy in 81 and the thruster in 94. Much happened in between. I agree, he surfed more fluid on the thruster in this vid.

Get ready for the future
It is murder
Re: More Cheyne Horan footage: Early Zot and thruster surfing [Re: revolutionsurfer] #1723987
04/26/11 08:09 PM
04/26/11 08:09 PM
Point Loma
T
Tanner Offline
Phil Edwards status
Tanner  Offline
Phil Edwards status
T

Point Loma
Pretty classic footage.........definitely from the summer of '83 - he had the same board, fin and white S/S Rip Curl spring suit when he was in Atlantic City.

A co-worker and I took a break this afternoon and cruised over to Icons of Surf. Saw three of Revo's boards in there, all shaped by Tim Stamps.

I must say that black and red 6'0 single fin is pretty sweet

No Cooks! If you don't live here you don't souffl here! - Festus Porkmeyer
Re: More Cheyne Horan footage: Early Zot and thruster surfing [Re: Tanner] #1723988
04/27/11 12:45 AM
04/27/11 12:45 AM
beneath the blue suburban sky
D
dkennedys11 Offline
Miki Dora status
dkennedys11  Offline
Miki Dora status
D

beneath the blue suburban sky
I think even Cheyne himself admitted the funky single fins were holding him back.

Bomb Hills not Countries.
Re: More Cheyne Horan footage: Early Zot and thruster surfing [Re: dkennedys11] #1723989
04/27/11 01:15 AM
04/27/11 01:15 AM
Point Loma
T
Tanner Offline
Phil Edwards status
Tanner  Offline
Phil Edwards status
T

Point Loma
As mentioned, Cheyne was my favorite, growing up.

Based on what limited access we had to the pros back then - basically 2 magazines and very limited 'Surf Movies' - it still seems to me that when he got off of the outlines shown on these two boards:

....along with the famous 'red and yellow' board as well as the pink board that Revo has posted Cheyne called 'the one', is when his surfing started going in a weird direction.

The above boards just looked so much more performance oriented than this, and what followed:

Re: More Cheyne Horan footage: Early Zot and thruster surfing [Re: Tanner] #1723990
04/27/11 01:22 AM
04/27/11 01:22 AM
Point Loma
T
Tanner Offline
Phil Edwards status
Tanner  Offline
Phil Edwards status
T

Point Loma
I remember this in SURFING Magazine in the very early 80's - it was a piece called 'Star Boards'.......all the top guys, holding their 'go to' board, and it listed the dims of the boards.

Re: More Cheyne Horan footage: Early Zot and thruster surfing [Re: Tanner] #1723991
04/27/11 11:42 AM
04/27/11 11:42 AM
Occupied Dixie
R
Gerry Lopez status
Gerry Lopez status
R

Occupied Dixie
Quote:

As mentioned, Cheyne was my favorite, growing up.

Based on what limited access we had to the pros back then - basically 2 magazines and very limited 'Surf Movies' - it still seems to me that when he got off of the outlines shown on these two boards:

....along with the famous 'red and yellow' board as well as the pink board that Revo has posted Cheyne called 'the one', is when his surfing started going in a weird direction.

The above boards just looked so much more performance oriented than this, and what followed:

Good observation Tanner. Spoke with Pautsch about it a few days ago and he says had they stayed with the 15 to 17 inch tails they would have stayed huge. And those designs were huge. All the major shops carried them. They were equal to Merrick,Rusty or Lost with regards to respect and Cheyne was the best surfer in the world at the same time Geoff was the best shaper. 78 to 84 being his peak. I still thought when he was not experimenting he was as good or better than many of the rest up until 90.

Cheyne got hamstrung by being so closely aligned with Geoff. Geoff likes doing things his way. I think when Cheyne went out on his own he came up with some valid design ideas and the tails of his boards actually started coming back to around 16'' If you look at some of his boards from Scream in Blue they looked like what McCoy started calling nuggets in 94. I have another video I'll be posting tonight. More of the more narrow tailed zappers. Tanner...I tried to buy that yellow board below, but I think Danny Kwok out bid me..ha ha. I would like to have had that one.

Get ready for the future
It is murder
Re: More Cheyne Horan footage: Early Zot and thruster surfing [Re: revolutionsurfer] #1723992
04/27/11 07:05 PM
04/27/11 07:05 PM
Point Loma
T
Tanner Offline
Phil Edwards status
Tanner  Offline
Phil Edwards status
T

Point Loma
Quote:

Good observation Tanner. Spoke with Pautsch about it a few days ago and he says had they stayed with the 15 to 17 inch tails they would have stayed huge. And those designs were huge. All the major shops carried them. They were equal to Merrick,Rusty or Lost with regards to respect and Cheyne was the best surfer in the world at the same time Geoff was the best shaper. 78 to 84 being his peak. I still thought when he was not experimenting he was as good or better than many of the rest up until 90.

Cheyne got hamstrung by being so closely aligned with Geoff. Geoff likes doing things his way. I think when Cheyne went out on his own he came up with some valid design ideas and the tails of his boards actually started coming back to around 16'' If you look at some of his boards from Scream in Blue they looked like what McCoy started calling nuggets in 94. I have another video I'll be posting tonight. More of the more narrow tailed zappers. Tanner...I tried to buy that yellow board below, but I think Danny Kwok out bid me..ha ha. I would like to have had that one.

I can't remember what movie it was in, but there's footage of Cheyne on the above board at what I believe is small Off The Wall, and he is absolutely murdering it.

From what I recall, I don't think I've ever seen anyone make a single fin perform that way........

Re: More Cheyne Horan footage: Early Zot and thruster surfing [Re: Tanner] #1723993
04/27/11 07:12 PM
04/27/11 07:12 PM
Rbeach
R
rowjimmytour Offline
Miki Dora status
rowjimmytour  Offline
Miki Dora status
R

Rbeach

Sunkist board was the $hit

There's a time to shit and a time for God
The last shit I took was pretty fooking' odd!
Re: More Cheyne Horan footage: Early Zot and thruster surfing [Re: rowjimmytour] #1723994
04/27/11 07:19 PM
04/27/11 07:19 PM
Point Loma
T
Tanner Offline
Phil Edwards status
Tanner  Offline
Phil Edwards status
T

Point Loma
Quote:

Love it

There was actually another version that also ran on TV that had him doing a big lip-bash/re-entry on that same board and ends with him running up the beach to all the chicks and taking a big swig of Sunkist with board under other arm

Re: More Cheyne Horan footage: Early Zot and thruster surfing [Re: Tanner] #1723995
04/27/11 07:33 PM
04/27/11 07:33 PM
Rbeach
R
rowjimmytour Offline
Miki Dora status
rowjimmytour  Offline
Miki Dora status
R

Rbeach
Quote:

Quote:

Love it

There was actually another version that also ran on TV that had him doing a big lip-bash/re-entry on that same board and ends with him running up the beach to all the chicks and taking a big swig of Sunkist with board under other arm

I totally remember that and always wanted to get a lazor zap but still have not pulled the trigger

Re: More Cheyne Horan footage: Early Zot and thruster surfing [Re: rowjimmytour] #1723996
04/27/11 07:35 PM
04/27/11 07:35 PM
Rbeach
R
rowjimmytour Offline
Miki Dora status
rowjimmytour  Offline
Miki Dora status
R

Rbeach