REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 263 of 264 1 2 261 262 263 264
Re: Tomo MPH [Re: Waxfoot] #2994274
08/08/19 07:19 PM
08/08/19 07:19 PM
California
D
deforest Offline
Nep status
deforest  Offline
Nep status
D

California
Originally Posted by Waxfoot
Originally Posted by daave
Running same fins on both fling and gremlin? I like both boards as well - but found them to surf a little differently. Despite its chunk, gremlin feels like it has a decent amount of rocker. Fling feels like more tapered rails/flatter rocker/better lower end.

Unfortunately no ... not surfing the boards concurrently either.
I had the FCS performers in the Fling, and now have the FCS aircore AM template in the Gremlin.

Don't get me wrong, the fling's the 'little fun thing' I've been comparing all others small wave boars to, but think the Gremlin edges it now. I think your assessment is right, in that the Gremlin has a little higher end than the Fling does. That said ... I took my Fling out on this day wherea few miles down the road where I live (though my break was a little smaller), as I broke my other two boards the two days before :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96rhBR3Tlco

The fling didn't really 'handle it' , but it was ridiculously fun for some reason, trying to hold on for dear life :p

DANGGG!! Those waves look mental! I dont think i've ever surfed anything like that in my life. Cant wait to go to AUS! shaka

Instagram: @deforestcooper
Re: Tomo MPH [Re: deforest] #2994351
08/08/19 10:11 PM
08/08/19 10:11 PM
W
Waxfoot Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
Waxfoot  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
W

Originally Posted by deforest

DANGGG!! Those waves look mental! I dont think i've ever surfed anything like that in my life. Cant wait to go to AUS! shaka

Don't get overly excited, this video was literally as good as it gets, and is not been as good since. My neck of the woods is a bit of a fickle hoax... but when it's on, it's goooood. If you're ever this side of the world, hit me up and I'll take you to some spots smile

Originally Posted by Havoc4k
so gremlin is more hp ver of fling? looking at stamps fx also.

I'm no expert in design, so can't really pick out the more subtle nuances, I can only really go by feel. I LOVE the Fling, but currently, I think that the Gremlin has a wider range, and goes vert better. The Fling's a little more skatey (a feeling I really like in this kind of boar) and I used to slide the Fling out a little too easily, but that could be because of my fin choice.

Not claiming one's better than the other, but think the Gremlin should be on the shopping list, if this is the kind of boar you're in the market for.

Re: Tomo MPH [Re: Waxfoot] #2994457
08/09/19 01:31 AM
08/09/19 01:31 AM
California
D
deforest Offline
Nep status
deforest  Offline
Nep status
D

California

Don't get overly excited, this video was literally as good as it gets, and is not been as good since. My neck of the woods is a bit of a fickle hoax... but when it's on, it's goooood. If you're ever this side of the world, hit me up and I'll take you to some spots smile

If I'm every out that way, I will definitely take you up on that offer! smile

Re: Tomo MPH [Re: Waxfoot] #2994523
08/09/19 08:00 AM
08/09/19 08:00 AM
in da hood next to paradise
H
Havoc4k Offline
Billy Hamilton status
Havoc4k  Offline
Billy Hamilton status
H

so gremlin is more hp ver of fling? looking at stamps fx also.

I'm no expert in design, so can't really pick out the more subtle nuances, I can only really go by feel. I LOVE the Fling, but currently, I think that the Gremlin has a wider range, and goes vert better. The Fling's a little more skatey (a feeling I really like in this kind of boar) and I used to slide the Fling out a little too easily, but that could be because of my fin choice.

Not claiming one's better than the other, but think the Gremlin should be on the shopping list, if this is the kind of boar you're in the market for.

thx. this is good info! cheers

The postings of this user are merely opinion and are posted by the users posting agent who may have different opinions than that of the user
�I think the USA "made in america" board builders "marketing" gimmick falls more inline with a cult than the firewire following� -deforest
Re: Tomo MPH [Re: Havoc4k] #2994525
08/09/19 08:06 AM
08/09/19 08:06 AM
H
Havoc4k Offline
Billy Hamilton status
Havoc4k  Offline
Billy Hamilton status
H

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgtXZU3Hiro

salsa surges the gremmie darn good!

The postings of this user are merely opinion and are posted by the users posting agent who may have different opinions than that of the user
�I think the USA "made in america" board builders "marketing" gimmick falls more inline with a cult than the firewire following� -deforest
Re: Tomo MPH [Re: VaB] #2994528
08/09/19 09:46 AM
08/09/19 09:46 AM
Honolulu, Hawaii
R
Racer1 Offline
Phil Edwards status
Racer1  Offline
Phil Edwards status
R

Honolulu, Hawaii
How do you size the gremlin in relation to the fling? Little longer? I have been thinking about gremlin.

Re: Tomo MPH [Re: Racer1] #2994544
08/09/19 11:03 AM
08/09/19 11:03 AM
W
Waxfoot Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
Waxfoot  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
W

Originally Posted by Racer1
How do you size the gremlin in relation to the fling? Little longer? I have been thinking about gremlin.

Yeap, only slightly. I had a 5.4, but the 5.6' would probably have suited me a touch better. I'm on a 5.7' Gremlin, could also have gone with the 5.8", I didn't notice the difference in the volume when I tested them both, so went with the shorter one as it had FCS system ( not necessarily a preference, but the Phantom has FCS, so I could swap fins between those two boars that I know works)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgtXZU3Hiro

salsa surges the gremmie darn good!

I probably shouldn't admit this on this forum, but his reviews has made me buy both the Phantom and the Gremlin (first the phantom, then got the Gremlin because I clicked with it so much ... and they're supposed to share the same DNA).

Luckily, it turned out that both of these have gone straight into my 'Tier A' boards / instant classics.

Last edited by Waxfoot; 08/09/19 11:05 AM.
Re: Tomo MPH [Re: VaB] #2994601
08/09/19 02:25 PM
08/09/19 02:25 PM
Oceansuck
J
jkb Offline
Phil Edwards status
jkb  Offline
Phil Edwards status
J

Oceansuck
How thick are the rails on your Gremlin waxfoot?

I felt one up in a shop recently and they had to be some of the thickest rails I've seen on a stock board.

Is yours stock or custom?

Legal Disclaimer: jkb's posts are written by his Posting Agent, whose views and opinions do not necessarily represent those of jkb.
Re: Tomo MPH [Re: VaB] #2994961
08/10/19 07:41 AM
08/10/19 07:41 AM
W
Waxfoot Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
Waxfoot  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
W

Mine's just off the shelf, so unsure what the rails are tapered down to from the 2 7/16th centre thickness

Re: Tomo MPH [Re: VaB] #2995081
08/10/19 04:52 PM
08/10/19 04:52 PM
PNW
A
Aruka Offline
Miki Dora status
Aruka  Offline
Miki Dora status
A

PNW
I got a custom XTR Gremlin 2 1/2" and the rails are redonkulously thick.

Needless to say I didn't completely click with it but I did ride it enough to get a feel for the design. Compared to my fishes it has a bit more entry rocker and kinda feels like it plows water when the waves are small and weak. Needs to be surfed actively to get the most out of it. Feels good when the waves stand up a bit and allow for vertical surfing. Like every Pyzel I've ridden it handles more juice than you'd expect.

Was tempted to re-order one in slimmer dims but there are so many other boards in this category that I still want to try with the Fling being high on the list.

Re: Tomo MPH [Re: Aruka] #2995088
08/10/19 05:11 PM
08/10/19 05:11 PM
H
Havoc4k Offline
Billy Hamilton status
Havoc4k  Offline
Billy Hamilton status
H

Originally Posted by Aruka
I got a custom XTR Gremlin 2 1/2" and the rails are redonkulously thick.

Needless to say I didn't completely click with it but I did ride it enough to get a feel for the design. Compared to my fishes it has a bit more entry rocker and kinda feels like it plows water when the waves are small and weak. Needs to be surfed actively to get the most out of it. Feels good when the waves stand up a bit and allow for vertical surfing. Like every Pyzel I've ridden it handles more juice than you'd expect.

Was tempted to re-order one in slimmer dims but there are so many other boards in this category that I still want to try with the Fling being high on the list.

when in doubt, fling it!

Re: Tomo MPH [Re: VaB] #2995185
08/11/19 01:41 AM
08/11/19 01:41 AM
Honolulu, Hawaii
R
Racer1 Offline
Phil Edwards status
Racer1  Offline
Phil Edwards status
R

Honolulu, Hawaii
I ran into Glenn Minami and he asked me what I've been riding. I told him almost exclusively a Fling. He told me about a step down he came up with called The Brat. I ordered one as a backup to my Fling. OB1, Mini and Gremlin in XTR will have to wait. Might just go PU for awhile.

https://minamisurfboards.com/new/?udt_portfolio=brat

Last edited by Racer1; 08/11/19 01:41 AM.
Re: Tomo MPH [Re: VaB] #2995764
08/12/19 11:56 PM
08/12/19 11:56 PM
S
spjones123 Offline
Grom
spjones123  Offline
Grom
S

What happened to the FireWire Hydroshort that was supposed to be coming early summer?

Re: Tomo MPH [Re: spjones123] #2995840
08/13/19 03:00 AM
08/13/19 03:00 AM
California
D
deforest Offline
Nep status
deforest  Offline
Nep status
D

California
Originally Posted by spjones123
What happened to the FireWire Hydroshort that was supposed to be coming early summer?

I think its coming out in a month or so... This is a limited edition in grey for a guy in Costa. He sent me this pic a few days ago so I'm guessing it will be released soon.

The stock one will be all white with grey rails! shaka

[Linked Image]

Re: Tomo MPH [Re: VaB] #2995844
08/13/19 03:05 AM
08/13/19 03:05 AM
W
Waxfoot Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
Waxfoot  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
W