REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 248 of 256 1 2 246 247 248 249 250 255 256
Re: Tomo MPH [Re: MrSteve] #2904343
01/27/19 12:06 AM
01/27/19 12:06 AM
G
Goodfish Offline
Gerry Lopez status
Goodfish  Offline
Gerry Lopez status
G

Originally Posted By: MrSteve
Originally Posted By: Retropete
Curious if anyone is still riding a vanguard?

Sort of along those lines... which of the planing hull designs paddles into waves the best/ easiest? Let's say for clean chest/ head. Or if you want to differentiate for junky or grovel conditions. Any info is appreciated.

Vader. I had my Vader out in DOH Indo juice, and that wide diamond nose with the funky nose channels and parallel rail outline glided into waves with just a few strokes. Never tried a Vanguard, but I imagine it would do the same thing. My friend had his out in anything...

The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea.
Re: Tomo MPH [Re: sh3] #2904522
01/27/19 04:15 PM
01/27/19 04:15 PM
SoCal
N
need 4 speed Offline
Miki Dora status
need 4 speed  Offline
Miki Dora status
N

SoCal
Hey Steve
cheers

NOT THAT KIND
Re: Tomo MPH [Re: VaB] #2904895
01/28/19 06:36 PM
01/28/19 06:36 PM
N
NinjaPete Offline
Grom
NinjaPete  Offline
Grom
N

I've got the vanguard. It's pretty cool overall. Not the best board for steep hallow waves. It glides really well over mushed out sections, and is fast. If the waves have allot of power, then it gets skiddish unless you set it on rail fast. It's hard to sink the tail, but I think that is point of the design. Once you adapt your technique, it's a fun board. The nose has a really cool interesting sensation, but at times I feel like taking a few centimeters off the rail at the tail. My board is way too over volumes though, so keep that in mind. If you find one your size, you will probably like it. The vanguard is very unique, a fish for star wars fans.

Re: Tomo MPH [Re: VaB] #2904900
01/28/19 06:52 PM
01/28/19 06:52 PM
G
gbarsby3 Offline
Gerry Lopez status
gbarsby3  Offline
Gerry Lopez status
G

Not to veer off topic too much but I have to say I cannot remember the value of a brand dropped as drastically as the Tomo market has in the last 2 years.

That being said I really think there is value in the used Tomo market. His shapes are incredible, and work really well. The evo, cyber sim, and Vader are timeless IMO.

Re: Tomo MPH [Re: VaB] #2904908
01/28/19 07:01 PM
01/28/19 07:01 PM
C
cdes Offline
Nep status
cdes  Offline
Nep status
C

Still holding on to my Vanguard, but I havent ridden it in several years. Ive moved on to other boards I guess. I cant bring myself to sell it for a couple of reasons:
1) it's still the fastest board I have ever ridden.
2) Like gbarsby said, its not worth much of anything on the re-sale market.

One of these days Ill dig it out and get wowed all over again.

Re: Tomo MPH [Re: VaB] #2904993
01/28/19 09:00 PM
01/28/19 09:00 PM
California
D
deforest Offline
Nep status
deforest  Offline
Nep status
D

California
Originally Posted By: Waterlogged05
I was lurking Instagram, Deforest, you look more in control with that tail, less slidey.
I think it is benefiting you, especially w the recent swell.
Thanks Waterlogged05... I appreciate you saying that. smile
Originally Posted By: J_D_J
Id be interested in hearing the difference too. What are the dims, D?
The dims on both boards were 5'5 x 18 1/2 x 2 5/16.

Hydroshort Squash isnt really a wide point forward board design, but it felt that way for me because the nose is wider than the tail. It felt like a round nose SKX and I'd have to really pivot the tail to get it going. Small fins helped. I may order this board again in a 5'3 or 5'4 and see how it goes. It feel like it has a longer rail line than the rountail.

The Hydroshort roundtail feels amazing! Its almost identically proportionate nose and tail and feels really good. It has speed right from the takeoff and that round tail just rolls on rail really easily. Nice rocker profile too. For people who like a wider tail, I'd go with the roundtail for sure. 5'5" feels perfect in the roundtail.

Never ridden a Vanguard, but the Vader will never leave the quiver. One of the funnest boards i've ever ridden and is magic everytime i ride it.

Re: Tomo MPH [Re: gbarsby3] #2905036
01/28/19 09:52 PM
01/28/19 09:52 PM
San Diego, CA
O
Oeste858 Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
Oeste858  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
O

San Diego, CA
Originally Posted By: gbarsby3
Not to veer off topic too much but I have to say I cannot remember the value of a brand dropped as drastically as the Tomo market has in the last 2 years.
That being said I really think there is value in the used Tomo market. His shapes are incredible, and work really well. The evo, cyber sim, and Vader are timeless IMO.

Interesting comment. I could imagine there's a line around the Evo (or certainly the SD Sci-Fi) where his designs before that (Vanguard, Vader, Nano, V4, etc.) don't resell as well. I assume it's because the more recent designs are more "user-friendly"/ forgiving.
If you are talking about the rarer XTR versions you have had up for sale, I think general surfing public really is just not familiar with it, and doesn't assign a premium to the resale price for the construction. I don't know what % of surfers know of XTR... maybe 10%?

Re: Tomo MPH [Re: VaB] #2905050
01/28/19 10:24 PM
01/28/19 10:24 PM
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
R
Retropete Offline
Miki Dora status
Retropete  Offline
Miki Dora status
R

Sunny Coast Qld Australia
The reason I asked about the vanguard was I'm buying one off a mate that he's surfed once. He bought it new for a pittance and I'm buying it from him for $300 Aud. He's selling it to fund purchases of a Seaside and a Cymatic. So the past designs like the Vanguard, Vader and Nano do seem to have slipped heavily in re-sale as buyers look for the newer designs.
My Nano was still a phenomenal board and I'm looking out for another one.
only sold it (along with my other boards) when I couldn't surf due to a serious lower back condition.

Caution: excessive Kool Aid consumption may lead to a bitter aftertaste!
Re: Tomo MPH [Re: VaB] #2905065
01/28/19 11:05 PM
01/28/19 11:05 PM
T
toddo Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
toddo  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
T

my vanguard replica was my favourite board of all time. thing worked in 1ft to 8 ft

Re: Tomo MPH [Re: Oeste858] #2905074
01/28/19 11:22 PM
01/28/19 11:22 PM
Oceansuck
J
jkb Offline
Phil Edwards status
jkb  Offline
Phil Edwards status
J

Oceansuck
Originally Posted By: Oeste858

Interesting comment. I could imagine there's a line around the Evo (or certainly the SD Sci-Fi) where his designs before that (Vanguard, Vader, Nano, V4, etc.) don't resell as well. I assume it's because the more recent designs are more "user-friendly"/ forgiving.
If you are talking about the rarer XTR versions you have had up for sale, I think general surfing public really is just not familiar with it, and doesn't assign a premium to the resale price for the construction. I don't know what % of surfers know of XTR... maybe 10%?

Let's not forget that the Vanguard and Vader are roughly 8 year old designs now. This day in age, everyone seems to want the latest/greatest model. If you had a Cymatic for sale, I doubt you would have trouble selling it for a premium, but for older Tomo models, many have ridden them already and moved on to the newer ones.

Legal Disclaimer: jkb's posts are written by his Posting Agent, whose views and opinions do not necessarily represent those of jkb.
Re: Tomo MPH [Re: sh3] #2905091
01/29/19 12:00 AM
01/29/19 12:00 AM
S
sh3 Offline
Gerry Lopez status
sh3  Offline
Gerry Lopez status
S

Originally Posted By: sh3
Originally Posted By: nkpheous

Hey Nick-

Long time no post. Question for you:

Did your Psyko "stick" when you did a carve? Got a new one and am super stoked on the instant speed, but after doing a carve, at the tail end of it the board has a tendency to sink on it's tail and wipe off most of the speed. Granted, this was my first session so I'm still figuring the board out, but it's working far more similar to a pintail short board than a squash or split tail such as on my V4s or CyberSim. I can tell I'm going to love it, but wondered if this feeling is similar to what others have experienced on the Psyko.

Now, with that said, the speed and drive is amazing. Great barrel rider in a thruster set up. Amazing, actually. And it EXCELS at making late drops easy. I already love it in more bowly conditions.

I'll take my answer(s) off-line. Good to see you all again.

-Steve

Hey need4speed - good to see your name. smile

I'll answer my own question now. The Psyko is more of a beach break fast tilt board, whereas the V4 is more of a down the line point break board. As a result of that winged in tail, the last part of the cutback will tend to pivot hard versus a drawn out turn on my old V4. It's definitely a different sensation.

I think Daniel's boards are amazing. The versions up to the Evo are incredible, IMO. More of a straight rail line versus those that came thereafter. It depends upon one's preference, but I love the feel of these boards. Freaking love it.

Below is the latest shortboard quiver shot of my Tomos. smile

L-R:
6'1" V4 step-up (18-3/4" wide and 2-1/2" thick)
5'10" V4 pointy nose (19" wide and 2-3/8" thick - an amazing board)
5'10" V4 pointy nose from FW (18-3/4" wide and 2-3/8" thick)
5'8" Psyko (19" wide and 2-7/16" thick)
5'6" Cybersim (19" wide and 2-1/2" thick)

All ridden as thrusters except the Sim ridden as a quad.

Thinking of selling the FW if anyone is interested. It's in excellent shape.

Last edited by sh3; 01/29/19 12:14 AM.
Re: Tomo MPH [Re: sh3] #2905100
01/29/19 12:44 AM
01/29/19 12:44 AM
California
D
deforest Offline
Nep status
deforest  Offline
Nep status
D

California
Originally Posted By: nkpheous

Hey Nick-

Long time no post. Question for you:

Did your Psyko "stick" when you did a carve? Got a new one and am super stoked on the instant speed, but after doing a carve, at the tail end of it the board has a tendency to sink on it's tail and wipe off most of the speed. Granted, this was my first session so I'm still figuring the board out, but it's working far more similar to a pintail short board than a squash or split tail such as on my V4s or CyberSim. I can tell I'm going to love it, but wondered if this feeling is similar to what others have experienced on the Psyko.

Now, with that said, the speed and drive is amazing. Great barrel rider in a thruster set up. Amazing, actually. And it EXCELS at making late drops easy. I already love it in more bowly conditions.

I'll take my answer(s) off-line. Good to see you all again.

-Steve

Hey need4speed - good to see your name. smile

I'll answer my own question now. The Psyko is more of a beach break fast tilt board, whereas the V4 is more of a down the line point break board. As a result of that winged in tail, the last part of the cutback will tend to pivot hard versus a drawn out turn on my old V4. It's definitely a different sensation.

I think Daniel's boards are amazing. The versions up to the Evo are incredible, IMO. More of a straight rail line versus those that came thereafter. It depends upon one's preference, but I love the feel of these boards. Freaking love it.

Below is the latest shortboard quiver shot of my Tomos. smile

L-R:
6'1" V4 step-up (18-3/4" wide and 2-1/2" thick)
5'10" V4 pointy nose (19" wide and 2-3/8" thick - an amazing board)
5'10" V4 pointy nose from FW (18-3/4" wide and 2-3/8" thick)
5'8" Psyko (19" wide and 2-7/16" thick)
5'6" Cybersim (19" wide and 2-1/2" thick)

All ridden as thrusters except the Sim ridden as a quad.

Thinking of selling the FW if anyone is interested. It's in excellent shape.
SOLID QUIVER!!!

Re: Tomo MPH [Re: VaB] #2905103
01/29/19 12:48 AM
01/29/19 12:48 AM
san diego, CA
O
obslop Offline
Phil Edwards status
obslop  Offline
Phil Edwards status
O

san diego, CA
hey Steve - hope all is well. nice looking boards.

Re: Tomo MPH [Re: gbarsby3] #2905223
01/29/19 01:25 PM
01/29/19 01:25 PM
G
Goodfish Offline
Gerry Lopez status
Goodfish  Offline
Gerry Lopez status
G

Interesting observation. I think the value of used FW Tomos has dropped because the LFT construction doesn't hold up for very long. They get old and yellow looking fast. However, I doubt this is the case for XTR.

I think the out-there aesthetic and ride reached a pinnacle around the Vader, then started getting more refined and easy-to-use. I found no magic in the 3 EVOs I went through, but my 2 Vaders have been amazing. I'm really into my Hydrosquash and Hydronaut, but they don't have the absolute wow factor of the Vader going mach-10 and then laser slicing through some waves.

The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea.
Re: Tomo MPH [Re: VaB] #2905435
01/29/19 07:50 PM
01/29/19 07:50 PM
SD
T
tedshred5 Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
tedshred5  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
T

SD
speaking of MPHs, pretty great deal for a lighter sized human wanting to try a Cymatic in San Diego (not mine):

https://offerup.com/item/detail/620708169/

Last edited by tedshred5; 01/29/19 07:50 PM.
Page 248 of 256 1 2 246 247 248 249 250 255 256