REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
Page 247 of 247 < 1 2 ... 245 246 247
View All Topics Index
#2893931 - 01/04/19 01:30 PM Re: Tomo MPH [Re: Mr J]
deforest Offline
Nep status

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Mr J
Deforest, check out the pic of Bob Cooper at the bottom of this link http://www.surfresearch.com.au/agr.html
In the early 90s I remember ordering a custom board and staring at such a device hanging on the wall. When the shaper saw me looking at it I got quickly steered out of the shaping room laugh Nowadays the attitude has changed and some shapers are even offering shaping lessons as part of their services. Also note at the end of that article that measuring rocker has been the source of confusion for a long time now.

I think pro shaper oakfoils who posts here measures rocker in a similar manner to what you have been doing i.e. puts his shapes on their belly on a flat surface, but before the glassing so the weight of the fin boxes doesn't influence it. It obviously means something to him, but not useful for say comparing a Tomo with a HPSB of different lengths.

Thanks to jkb we do know something about how that example compares. I think his board is an MPH. He has measured in the more usually accepted convention. When whisperer and myself fed the numbers into shape3d and scaled up we got 3.98" and tail rocker of 1.78". Rocker is what I would call on the low end of moderate, more HP than a fish.

https://forum.surfer.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2730107#Post2730107
Thats a great thread! Thanks for sharing Mr J. Yeah, JKB is very knowledgeable... so is GS. I'd love to play around with S3D, but I think handshaping a board will come first. I'm going to have a go at making a rocker measuring tool and some favorite outlines from past boards and see what happens. Thanks for your help.

#2893972 - 01/04/19 02:14 PM Re: Tomo MPH [Re: deforest]
jkb Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: Oceansuck
Originally Posted By: deforest
Yeah, JKB is very knowledgeable.

I take issue with this statement. monkey

I'm really just in my infancy of understanding board design. Like Mr. J said earlier, I too have a terrible eye for curves, but I'm trying to learn and understand things better by putting a numeric value to rockers. I try to soak up as much as I can from people like Greg, GDaddy, Ghostshaper, Mr. J, Whisperer, retodd, twinzerfan.....among many others here that contribute a lot of valuable info.

So thanks to all of you that share your knowledge on these subjects cheers

#2894741 - 01/06/19 04:02 PM Re: Tomo MPH [Re: Goodfish]
crotchgrab Offline
Nep status

Goodfish, how are you liking your hydrosquash? Are you riding it as a DD? More so than the SP2?

#2894746 - 01/06/19 04:15 PM Re: Tomo MPH [Re: crotchgrab]
Goodfish Offline
Gerry Lopez status

Originally Posted By: crotchgrab
Goodfish, how are you liking your hydrosquash? Are you riding it as a DD? More so than the SP2?

Winter DD, yup.

#2895041 - 01/07/19 01:08 PM Re: Tomo MPH [Re: VaB]
deforest Offline
Nep status

Loc: California
I got a Hydroshort roundtail on order! Pics to come! rockin

I think the roundtail is gonna be magic!

Page 247 of 247 < 1 2 ... 245 246 247