REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 264 1 2 3 4 263 264
Re: Tomo MPH [Re: Ivan_] #1714746
04/09/11 08:50 PM
04/09/11 08:50 PM
Huntington Beach
N
nkpheous Offline
Michael Peterson status
nkpheous  Offline
Michael Peterson status
N

Huntington Beach
not me. i like them a lot and will probably get another. but i like variety. that will never change

Re: Tomo MPH [Re: VaB] #1714747
04/09/11 09:24 PM
04/09/11 09:24 PM
HB, CA
I
ifallalot Offline
Duke status
ifallalot  Offline
Duke status
I

HB, CA
I saw a 5'3" quad getting waxed up at Surfy Surfy today. ANOTHER board that I want... the list is long

My entire existence is a failed gotcha
Re: Tomo MPH [Re: Ivan_] #1714748
04/09/11 09:52 PM
04/09/11 09:52 PM
Southern Tip, Norcal
H
heelnipstr Offline
Miki Dora status
heelnipstr  Offline
Miki Dora status
H

Southern Tip, Norcal
Quote:

I'll repost my question from another thread...

Those who have Tomos... are they replacing your normal boards?

yes
I enjoy the Tomo the most and the board works well in most conditions.
except: small curvy punchy waves and today which was choppy, a lot of push +overhead w/ a mixed up swell(I should have rode my 6'5 Bonzer)

If you see a Buddha in the road, ask which gender pronouns they prefer and then kill them.
Re: Tomo MPH [Re: nkpheous] #1714749
04/10/11 12:50 AM
04/10/11 12:50 AM
The OC Life
H
Havoc Offline
Tom Curren status
Havoc  Offline
Tom Curren status
H

The OC Life
Quote:

not me. i like them a lot and will probably get another. but i like variety. that will never change

my question is the following:
is it hard to transition from your normal hpsb's and mini hpsb's especially the thruster variety to and from the tomo's?

I love the feel of a thruster because of the amount of control they have. At the same time, I love the feel of the quads and twins especially in those minimalistic templates for the out of control speed they have.

Havoc

"motions of rippage is initated by the hind leg"-Northern_Shores
"Lemme know. I got endson gas"-20W
Re: Tomo MPH [Re: Ivan_] #1714750
04/10/11 03:38 AM
04/10/11 03:38 AM
S
sozzle Offline
Billy Hamilton status
sozzle  Offline
Billy Hamilton status
S

Quote:

I'll repost my question from another thread...

Those who have Tomos... are they replacing your normal boards?

A raptor hydrofoil and the vector would be a pretty all conquering quiver for me definitely although everyone's tastes are different obviously, it's exciting for me to be ahead of the curve with something that renders hspb's obsolete for me, when will the rest catch up? Hahaha.

Re: Tomo MPH [Re: Havoc] #1714751
04/10/11 09:56 AM
04/10/11 09:56 AM
B
BrownFish Offline
Michael Peterson status
BrownFish  Offline
Michael Peterson status
B

Quote:

my question is the following:
is it hard to transition from your normal hpsb's and mini hpsb's especially the thruster variety to and from the tomo's?

I love the feel of a thruster because of the amount of control they have. At the same time, I love the feel of the quads and twins especially in those minimalistic templates for the out of control speed they have.

Havoc

My opinion is that it takes a bit to get used to riding a Tomo. Your first time, you see flashes of brilliance, but your aren't floored. The more you ride it, the more often you feel those flashes of brilliance, until you never want to ride anything else. The big thing that most forget is to really get that back foot way back over the fins.
The further your foot is back, the better they go. They aren't boards that are ridden from the middle. I think you can learn to transition back and forth from any board to another. You just have to be willing to put in the time and realize that the first few times, or maybe more, are gonna be a little frustrating. I used to think that riding longboards hurt my shortboarding. In truth, I just didn't know how to transition. I put in the time, and now I can ride my log and go to the beach and trade it out for my shortboard, without a hiccup.

Re: Tomo MPH [Re: Havoc] #1714752
04/10/11 12:42 PM
04/10/11 12:42 PM
W
winwin Offline
Michael Peterson status
winwin  Offline
Michael Peterson status
W

Quote:

I love the feel of a thruster because of the amount of control they have. At the same time, I love the feel of the quads and twins especially in those minimalistic templates for the out of control speed they have

....You nailed it Havoc. I have ridden both Hydrofoils/MPH designs..
Here's my .02: The MPH / Hydrofoil designs are super fun for the average guy wanting to get from point A to point B really fast. It's advantage are many: easy to ride, fast off the gate, great wave catching ability for a smaller board, and small volume - allows you to throw it around a bit....great for lined up/walled up waves that allows you to beat sections without much pumping or effort. This appeals to many.
But i have surfed it in peaky, good, barrelling waves and it has a hard time staying in the barrell...i remember stalling, changing foot positioning, and dragging both arms in order to get a cover up , but its inherent speed made it hard. Also, i find that surfing in the pocket is definitely a bit of a challenge too. And, for me the pumping that is require in traditional hpsb quads/tri's allows me to get into the rhythm and feel out the energy of a wave, which is a good thing...not just blazing fast speed.
It definitely has its place in a quiver, and would definitely get another ...but there are many other fishy types shapes that does pretty much the same thing.

win win

Re: Tomo MPH [Re: winwin] #1714753
04/10/11 01:19 PM
04/10/11 01:19 PM
Southern Tip, Norcal
H
heelnipstr Offline
Miki Dora status
heelnipstr  Offline
Miki Dora status
H

Southern Tip, Norcal
Quote:

Quote:

I love the feel of a thruster because of the amount of control they have. At the same time, I love the feel of the quads and twins especially in those minimalistic templates for the out of control speed they have

....You nailed it Havoc. I have ridden both Hydrofoils/MPH designs..
Here's my .02: The MPH / Hydrofoil designs are super fun for the average guy wanting to get from point A to point B really fast. It's advantage are many: easy to ride, fast off the gate, great wave catching ability for a smaller board, and small volume - allows you to throw it around a bit....great for lined up/walled up waves that allows you to beat sections without much pumping or effort. This appeals to many.
But i have surfed it in peaky, good, barrelling waves and it has a hard time staying in the barrell...i remember stalling, changing foot positioning, and dragging both arms in order to get a cover up , but its inherent speed made it hard. Also, i find that surfing in the pocket is definitely a bit of a challenge too. And, for me the pumping that is require in traditional hpsb quads/tri's allows me to get into the rhythm and feel out the energy of a wave, which is a good thing...not just blazing fast speed.
It definitely has its place in a quiver, and would definitely get another ...but there are many other fishy types shapes that does pretty much the same thing.

win win

I completely agree with all of the above but I have owned a lot of other fishy shapes with many different fin types and bottom configurations but the MPH feels very different in a positive way than any of the others.

Last edited by heelnipstr; 04/10/11 06:07 PM.

If you see a Buddha in the road, ask which gender pronouns they prefer and then kill them.
Re: Tomo MPH [Re: nkpheous] #1714754
04/10/11 05:43 PM
04/10/11 05:43 PM
S
sakana_kid Offline
Gerry Lopez status
sakana_kid  Offline
Gerry Lopez status
S

Quote:

That fat boy board on the left looks good for me. Thanks Nkpheous!

Re: Tomo MPH [Re: nkpheous] #1714755
04/10/11 08:05 PM
04/10/11 08:05 PM
J
jellyjam Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
jellyjam  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
J

Thanks for your trouble mate.
Interesting to see. I thought the rocker would be more severe with the planshape the way it is but i guess it is only 5'7''...
Cheers

Re: Tomo MPH [Re: jellyjam] #1714756
04/11/11 02:09 AM
04/11/11 02:09 AM
Huntington Beach
N
nkpheous Offline
Michael Peterson status
nkpheous  Offline
Michael Peterson status
N

Huntington Beach
took the board out today in some really clean peaky waves today. this board is ridiculous. so fast it seems like i don't have to do anything for speed. did some of my best turns in a while. lots of wrap arounds and snaps. i cant wait to get back in the water

and retodd's twinzer is the sh!t

Re: Tomo MPH [Re: nkpheous] #1714757
04/11/11 02:57 AM
04/11/11 02:57 AM
J
jellyjam Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
jellyjam  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
J

Its probably easier for you to get one of these than me and I live in his home state!!!
Our surf industry (in Australia) is so small and the boutique guys just don't get much of a look in. Its a shame because we have so much awesome untouched coastline just waiting to surf and try out new boards!
Does that single concave exit the tail as deep as it is at the fins? I read that he made mention of more 'edge' further up the board. How far does he carry it on the model you have?
Thanks for sharing...

Re: Tomo MPH [Re: VaB] #1714758
04/11/11 04:50 AM
04/11/11 04:50 AM
Long Beach, CA
N
Norsemann Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
Norsemann  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
N

Long Beach, CA
Here are some shots of the Nano that I picked up last week. 5'9x 19x 2.5, ride report below.

Re: Tomo MPH [Re: Norsemann] #1714759
04/11/11 05:30 AM
04/11/11 05:30 AM
Long Beach, CA
N
Norsemann Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
Norsemann  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
N

Long Beach, CA

Tomo MPH Nano
59x 19x 2.5
Future 5-fin convertible
*Id measure nose/tail, but its so unique on these I dont know where to measure.
Medium/Boxy rails
Me: 63x 180lb, goofy, intermediate-above average.

Ive had this board out 3 times now, in a variety of breaks, conditions, & fin set-ups.

First Session: Goldenwest,, light onshores, chest-shoulder high on 3 mid-tide.
I rode the AMT Robber 2+1s the first time out. I certainly didnt get the most out of this setup, since I spent most of the morning dialing in my positioning, foot placement, where to setup trying to get on a rail. Super-loose & fast as hell, I should have gone for more control the first time out. By the end of the day, I was getting into waves way earlier than I ever have, and driving through the peak carrying tons of speed. Had way more fun on the lefts, getting big fades into laybacks off the mushy sections, and throwing it off the top when I found a punchy one.

Second Session: Lowers, breezy onshores, chest-head high, mid-tide.
Rode a set of Canard Quads. Crazy bite on these. I figured the tail was wide enough to work with these fins, and Im pleased with the result. Great control on some sectiony rights, really fun to get it snappy on some backside turns. Not the greatest conditions, but I got double the waves I usually do thanks to a small crowd and a board that gets in super-early.

Third Session: This morning @ Andy St. Offshore, chest-shoulder high, mid-tide on the way out.
Rode the AMTs again, this time they were jamming. Found a sandbar that was connecting if you could carry enough speed. This board gets bottom-to-top in a heartbeat, not something Ive ever felt in a board that planes with a ton of speed. The AMTs felt so smooth, no tracking or spin-outs, just bouncing up the shoulder and cutting back to punch the foam. It made what should have been a crap-tide feel like a skate park.

I didnt expect this to be so much fun in beach breaks. I had in mind a board that I could take out at points & reefs to have a lot of fun & up my wave counts. At this point, I imagine that Im going to log a lot of time in OC instead of driving the extra hour either way.

Re: Tomo MPH [Re: VaB] #1714760
04/11/11 06:14 AM
04/11/11 06:14 AM
Where the dolphins swim
P
physcowino Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
physcowino  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
P

Where the dolphins swim
any body have a v-3 mph dual,if so how fast is it,how does it catch waves,paddel,how loose is it,drive etc.how does it ride in the tube?trying to pick a model is driving me nuts.

Page 2 of 264 1 2 3 4 263 264