REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Seal wetsuit seams #1638684
11/11/10 10:38 AM
11/11/10 10:38 AM
wilmington nc
R
rspowers Offline OP
Nep status
rspowers  Offline OP
Nep status
R

wilmington nc
For the last few years I have been looking for a way to 'liquid tape' the seams of my wetsuits when I repair them and I have finally found a product!

So none of my 3/2s or 4/3s have the liquid tape on the seams because i dont find that its worth the money, i always get glued and blindstiched though. So my recent wetsuit that is 2 years old had a few stitches come out and needs a few repairs to some of the glued seems as well and warranty was only one year.....so i went to home depot and found something call plasti-dip ( http://www.plastidip.com/) - which is a liquid rubber that is used to create a rubber handle for tools. (note - have tried neoprene repair solutions, aqua seal, etc and none are that great)

So I bought a can for $6, washed my wetsuit, and tested. Wow is all i have to say. you can actually paint your seams with a rubber coating and its just like the liquid tape, just not as pretty until i got the hang of it. The stuff is black, so you cant tell its on my suit and i ended up doing the whole entire suit. I only did the outside of the suit because i thought i would get a rash if i did the inside. the stuff is not stiff, its rubber, so its flexible and i could probably do 2 suits with one can of the stuff. anyway, if you are sewing part of your wetsuit, have one that is not glued and blindstiched, or want to just reinforce the seams, this stuff works, is cheap, and can be found at home depot.

Re: Seal wetsuit seams [Re: rspowers] #1638685
11/11/10 12:39 PM
11/11/10 12:39 PM
F
FresnoRipper Offline
Michael Peterson status
FresnoRipper  Offline
Michael Peterson status
F

Have you surfed since your painted your wetsuit? How did it go?

Instagram @fresnoripper
Re: Seal wetsuit seams [Re: FresnoRipper] #1638686
11/11/10 12:54 PM
11/11/10 12:54 PM
wilmington nc
R
rspowers Offline OP
Nep status
rspowers  Offline OP
Nep status
R

wilmington nc
Quote:

Have you surfed since your painted your wetsuit? How did it go?

I was out only one time for only like 30 mins the other day. There was not any noticeable tightness issues and I did all the seams. the next test will be after several sessions to see if it comes off or starts cracking, especially in the cold water. i will post an update this weekend after i surf several times.

Re: Seal wetsuit seams [Re: rspowers] #1638687
11/11/10 01:24 PM
11/11/10 01:24 PM
HB, CA
I
ifallalot Offline
Duke status
ifallalot  Offline
Duke status
I

HB, CA
This seems like a good idea. That PlastiDip comes in a lot of colors so you can go nuts if you want

Let us know how it turns out

My entire existence is a failed gotcha
Re: Seal wetsuit seams [Re: ifallalot] #1638688
11/11/10 03:15 PM
11/11/10 03:15 PM
Del Mar, CA
F
FishFace Offline
Miki Dora status
FishFace  Offline
Miki Dora status
F

Del Mar, CA
thats a great idea... my suit has the rubber seal on all the stitching and its cracking after a year of use.

i looked on the plastidip site and there is a product called Plastiseam... made for sealing fabric...

http://www.plastidip.com/industrial_solutions/Plastiseam

Re: Seal wetsuit seams [Re: rspowers] #1638689
11/14/10 06:17 PM
11/14/10 06:17 PM
wilmington nc
R
rspowers Offline OP
Nep status
rspowers  Offline OP
Nep status
R

wilmington nc
after a few sessions here are my thoughts....

stuff does not crack and is not noticeable at all. i cant tell that my seams have it on. keep in mind i only did the outside seams, if you did the inside my guess would be that you would get a rash

as far as making my suit warmer...well its already glued and blindstiched, so it cant really be made warmer. BUT the part that i sewed is fixed and it really did help.

Re: Seal wetsuit seams [Re: rspowers] #1638690
11/14/10 08:55 PM
11/14/10 08:55 PM
Rotting away on the 405
T
tacos Offline
Michael Peterson status
tacos  Offline
Michael Peterson status
T

Rotting away on the 405
awesome, i'll have to check it out, thanks for posting!

I've been considering ordering some Trident Neoprene Cement after seeing it posted on here, but i might go ahead and pick this up from home depot since its pretty cheap.

Anyways, i have a slightly off-topic question:

I have a wetsuit that's a few years old, but mainly only leaks in the seam thats at the seat of the wetsuit. I don't notice any tear/wear to the material, just the sealed tape on the inside has cracked away. I've been considering taking this in to a local shop to get repaired (I'd rather spend $20-30 for another season or 2 than a whole new wetsuit). Anyways, if they were to repair it, what would they do? Just put their own liquid seal on it? If so, I'll just go ahead and do this myself.

Re: Seal wetsuit seams [Re: tacos] #1638691
11/15/10 02:29 PM
11/15/10 02:29 PM
wilmington nc
R
rspowers Offline OP
Nep status
rspowers  Offline OP
Nep status
R

wilmington nc
Quote:

awesome, i'll have to check it out, thanks for posting!

I've been considering ordering some Trident Neoprene Cement after seeing it posted on here, but i might go ahead and pick this up from home depot since its pretty cheap.

Anyways, i have a slightly off-topic question:

I have a wetsuit that's a few years old, but mainly only leaks in the seam thats at the seat of the wetsuit. I don't notice any tear/wear to the material, just the sealed tape on the inside has cracked away. I've been considering taking this in to a local shop to get repaired (I'd rather spend $20-30 for another season or 2 than a whole new wetsuit). Anyways, if they were to repair it, what would they do? Just put their own liquid seal on it? If so, I'll just go ahead and do this myself.

ive always thought the wetsuit glue was cheap, although aquaseal does work. I like to sew it, then im now going to use this plasti dip stuff.

you might be able to do the inside of you suit, but i would try it first, it might cause chaffing, but im not sure. i wont try anything on the inside of my suit ever because i tried some aquaseal once and now need to wear a rashguard whenever i wear that suit.

and it is awesome that this stuff is $6 and i used half a can on all the seams on my 3/2 and did 2 coatings. get a cheap paint brush to do it - im pretty sure my paint brush is now ruined but i havent looked at it again.

Last edited by rspowers; 11/15/10 02:31 PM.
Re: Seal wetsuit seams [Re: rspowers] #1638693
11/26/10 02:28 AM
11/26/10 02:28 AM
Rotting away on the 405
T
tacos Offline
Michael Peterson status
tacos  Offline
Michael Peterson status
T

Rotting away on the 405
Bump.

Any reports on how it's holding up? I still have yet to pick up the stuff.

Re: Seal wetsuit seams [Re: tacos] #1638694
11/26/10 06:38 PM
11/26/10 06:38 PM
SOCAL
20W-50 and blood Online mad
Duke status
20W-50 and blood  Online Mad
Duke status

SOCAL
thinking aout trying to beat anotehr year of of a quick cellwith the stuff...letmeknwo howit goes

Re: Seal wetsuit seams #1638695
11/27/10 01:54 PM
11/27/10 01:54 PM
Vancouver
F
Fruitbison Offline
Billy Hamilton status
Fruitbison  Offline
Billy Hamilton status
F

Vancouver
Quote:

Just did my first. My Patagucci is the leakiest suit I've ever owned. The top is not bad, it's the bottom. Only stitching and the inside is worse with some kind of hard yellow glue. I hope this seals up the seams and lessens the water intrusion. Will report back....

I think maybe the best way to apply this stuff to your seams is to put the plasticseal in a tube that you can squirt out, like decorating a cake...

Is that the first generation Patagonia suit, Djelem? I had the same problem and took it into the store to ask what could be done. They replied that it was an older design flaw and swapped my suit out for a 3rd generation there and then. No more seam problems/chafing.

Killer waves and beers? I'm there.
Re: Seal wetsuit seams [Re: Fruitbison] #1638696
11/27/10 03:23 PM
11/27/10 03:23 PM
The OC Life
H
Havoc Offline
Tom Curren status
Havoc  Offline
Tom Curren status
H

The OC Life
Quote:

Quote:

Just did my first. My Patagucci is the leakiest suit I've ever owned. The top is not bad, it's the bottom. Only stitching and the inside is worse with some kind of hard yellow glue. I hope this seals up the seams and lessens the water intrusion. Will report back....

I think maybe the best way to apply this stuff to your seams is to put the plasticseal in a tube that you can squirt out, like decorating a cake...

Is that the first generation Patagonia suit, Djelem? I had the same problem and took it into the store to ask what could be done. They replied that it was an older design flaw and swapped my suit out for a 3rd generation there and then. No more seam problems/chafing.

+1 what I did. the first gens had the worst seams. this years models are improved. still think they should just tape all of the seams instead of using that thick glue

"motions of rippage is initated by the hind leg"-Northern_Shores
"Lemme know. I got endson gas"-20W
Re: Seal wetsuit seams [Re: Havoc] #1638697
11/29/10 06:19 PM
11/29/10 06:19 PM
Rotting away on the 405
T
tacos Offline
Michael Peterson status
tacos  Offline
Michael Peterson status
T

Rotting away on the 405
I just put some on the leaky part of the seat of my 4/3 hotline that i've been wearing in the winter since oct. 2007. i'll be sure to follow-up with the results whenever that may be.

anyone else have any responses after prolonged use of it?

Re: Seal wetsuit seams [Re: rspowers] #1638698
12/02/10 11:51 PM
12/02/10 11:51 PM
S
sdsurfrat Offline
Michael Peterson status
sdsurfrat  Offline
Michael Peterson status
S

Quote:

so i went to home depot and found something call plasti-dip ( http://www.plastidip.com/) - which is a liquid rubber that is used to create a rubber handle for tools. (note - have tried neoprene repair solutions, aqua seal, etc and none are that great)

OK I picked up a can of this plastic dip last night.
How the heck do you apply this without making a crazy mess?
How are the repairs holding up? Pics? Tips?
I got a bunch of Matuse suits to touch up, the warranty repairs from Matuse have been pretty much useless.
Thanks! Hope this stuff works.

Re: Seal wetsuit seams [Re: sdsurfrat] #1638699
12/03/10 01:00 AM
12/03/10 01:00 AM
Rotting away on the 405
T
tacos Offline
Michael Peterson status
tacos  Offline
Michael Peterson status
T

Rotting away on the 405
Quote:

Quote:

so i went to home depot and found something call plasti-dip ( http://www.plastidip.com/) - which is a liquid rubber that is used to create a rubber handle for tools. (note - have tried neoprene repair solutions, aqua seal, etc and none are that great)

OK I picked up a can of this plastic dip last night.
How the heck do you apply this without making a crazy mess?
How are the repairs holding up? Pics? Tips?
I got a bunch of Matuse suits to touch up, the warranty repairs from Matuse have been pretty much useless.
Thanks! Hope this stuff works.

I haven't gotten out in the water in a few days, so I have yet to see how my suits are holding up after use.

I used a cheap plastic watercolor paint brush and just carefully covered the seam with it. It doesn't look too perfect or professional, but the stuff is black and so is my suit so it's not really noticeable. I did one coat, let it dry a little bit and then put some more on. It looks like it should be sealed, but I guess i'll find out soon enough. I also put a little on on the inside as well.

I'm sure there's better ways of doing it than what I did though.

rspowers: How's yours holding up?

Page 1 of 2 1 2