REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
Page 2 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 ... 14 15 >
View All Topics Index
#1633564 - 11/01/10 03:26 PM Re: Twin fin love/twin fin step-ups? [Re: GWS]
klynch Offline
Nep status

Loc: La Orilla.
would love to try the roundtail.

#1633565 - 11/01/10 03:34 PM Re: Twin fin love/twin fin step-ups? [Re: GWS]
LESider Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: LowerEastSide NYC
Quote:

5'10"x18 3/4"x2 1/4"

Quote:

TWIN PIN Model Description:

Twin pin-this design is a collaborated effort with Rasta to find stability and pivot at high speeds obtained on faster waves like pointbreaks, Indo, Fiji, and Tahiti. The elimination of surface area and width plus added tail rocker allowed this design to be responsive at higher speeds with more size and power.

Damn that really brings me back to 1979-80 when Pat Mulherns dad was shaping little wing pin twins for MTB Surfboards. I think they shaped them for little hollow Caribbean waves that their regular twins were have trouble handling.

#1633566 - 11/01/10 04:27 PM Re: Twin fin love/twin fin step-ups? [Re: GWS]
twinzerfan Offline
Billy Hamilton status

Loc: Santa Cruz/UK/Florida
Quote:

Quads feel dead coming off of a twin.

GWS, that really sums it all up for me as well. I've been playing with design for along time - still got loads to learn too - and I've very recently cleaned my quiver of everything just to focus on twins, and the twinzer concept. I used to really like quads, but found that what I really liked about them was the speed. Twins are just faster than anything I've ridden, including hulls. I don't care what the kooks say, twins are the most free running design period. The problem is adding control to the design.

I've been playing with a few ideas, admittedly inspired by Griffin and MR. But you can't forget Lance Collins, Russ Hoyte, McCoy, Minami, and my personal favourite Martin Potter...

So far, and this isn't final by a long shot, fin placement in respect to outline curve is the make or break point to allow your twin to handle big waves. I'm on the fence between Greg's normal shortboard outline with the fins further back, and a more MR style with the wing and fins forward... so many pros/cons...

for bigger more powerful surf, with the aim of really pushing it, I find that Greg's theory is the soundest, and allows the most freedom with control.

Bottoms are usually spiral vee out the tail, but have had success with a single inside vee too...

with respect to Tomo... well he's on a whole new planet. So dialed. Simply inspired design..

jesus, now i'm gonna be up all night!

#1633567 - 11/01/10 04:36 PM Re: Twin fin love/twin fin step-ups? [Re: GWS]
hallucinogenic_toreador Offline
Phil Edwards status

Loc: socal beachbreak barrels
Quote:

5'10"x18 3/4"x2 1/4"

Quote:

Twin pin-this design is a collaborated effort with Rasta to find stability and pivot at high speeds obtained on faster waves like pointbreaks, Indo, Fiji, and Tahiti. The elimination of surface area and width plus added tail rocker allowed this design to be responsive at higher speeds with more size and power.

now you've screwed me...dangit!

that board is just too nice....waaayyy tooooo nice!

crap, thanks for making my "next board" lust and decision making process that much harder. sincerely. my first few boards were all twins, and i rode a great slingerland through the first 10 years of the thruster revolution, constantly going back to it through a dozen+ thrusters, so twins are close to my heart.

i rode a friend's roundpin twin - he had moved to CA from FL when i was 16, in '85, and that board was nearly identical to this in the tail...winged, pulled roundpin...it was a GREAT board, and i kept trying to get him to sell it to me after he picked up a CI thruster....farkin' guy never did, and who knows whatever happened to him or the board.

aaarrgghhh....

#1633568 - 11/01/10 07:09 PM Re: Twin fin love/twin fin step-ups? [Re: twinzerfan]
hallucinogenic_toreador Offline
Phil Edwards status

Loc: socal beachbreak barrels
Quote:

Quote:

Quads feel dead coming off of a twin.

GWS, that really sums it all up for me as well. I've been playing with design for along time - still got loads to learn too - and I've very recently cleaned my quiver of everything just to focus on twins, and the twinzer concept. I used to really like quads, but found that what I really liked about them was the speed. Twins are just faster than anything I've ridden, including hulls. I don't care what the kooks say, twins are the most free running design period. The problem is adding control to the design.

I've been playing with a few ideas, admittedly inspired by Griffin and MR. But you can't forget Lance Collins, Russ Hoyte, McCoy, Minami, and my personal favourite Martin Potter...

So far, and this isn't final by a long shot, fin placement in respect to outline curve is the make or break point to allow your twin to handle big waves. I'm on the fence between Greg's normal shortboard outline with the fins further back, and a more MR style with the wing and fins forward... so many pros/cons...

for bigger more powerful surf, with the aim of really pushing it, I find that Greg's theory is the soundest, and allows the most freedom with control.

Bottoms are usually spiral vee out the tail, but have had success with a single inside vee too...

with respect to Tomo... well he's on a whole new planet. So dialed. Simply inspired design..

jesus, now i'm gonna be up all night!

put the pipe down...

your post strikes a chord with me...my very first surfboard was a lance collins CCS (central coast surfboards out of pismo/slo) twin fin, as was my second.

one of my true all-time favorite boards was a 6'2" minami twinzer, that absolutely went off on oahu - unbeliveable hold and speed, ability to turn at speed, in serious sized north shore waves. minami was also one of the greatest shapers to interact with, personally.

i've had one twinzer, and one quad since 1992, and the twinzer was no doubt the better design...not even close. almost identical volume, type of shape (in terms of foil, high performance rails, bottom, outline, etc.), and the twinzer had a better ability, like twins, to drop in at steep angles, crank lower out on the face, pivot, etc.

i think i consider twinzers much more aligned with true twins than quads, in a similar category as twin/trailer set-ups, in terms of performing more like the base model twin fin, but even more true to twin fin design, simply because its a focused fin area on the rails, very tight. quads really spread the fin area, and effective fin area out, more like a thruster.

twins, twinzers, and twin/trailers all have tight clusters, less effective fin control area...less anchor off the center of the tail.

#1633569 - 11/01/10 09:06 PM Re: Twin fin love/twin fin step-ups? [Re: twinzerfan]
chrisp510 Offline
Billy Hamilton status

Twinzerfan, do you find that having the fins placed more towards the tail engages the rear rail better in turns? especially in bigger surf? less spinout?

#1633570 - 11/01/10 09:51 PM Re: Twin fin love/twin fin step-ups? [Re: chrisp510]
rowjimmytour Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: Rbeach
Quote:

Twinzerfan, do you find that having the fins placed more towards the tail engages the rear rail better in turns? especially in bigger surf? less spinout?

Yes but I also think the tight swallowtail helps keep control specially backside.

#1633571 - 11/01/10 10:10 PM Re: Twin fin love/twin fin step-ups? [Re: GWS]
Havoc Offline
Tom Curren status

Loc: The OC Life
get a tomo raptor 6 channel twin fin... f-ing sick board!!

#1633572 - 11/01/10 11:52 PM Re: Twin fin love/twin fin step-ups? [Re: GWS]
CBOY21 Offline
Grom

Loc: South OZ
Quote:

5'10"x18 3/4"x2 1/4"

Quote:

I rode one of these when i was in the mentawai's not to long ago and it went sick. It was actually one of rasta's old ones. I found i could push it as hard as i wanted off the bottom and top with no issue in solid surf where normally in that situation with a twin i would worried about it spinning out. I think it had something to do with the winged round tail as it felt like you could pivot off the tail almost like how you would with the centre fin of a thruster. Sorry that description is vague im not that with board design, that just how it felt.

Definitely a board worth getting for solid surf, I think it would struggle in smaller weaker surf as there wasn't much area in the tail but for reefs in the 6ft faces plus range it is a great board.

#1633573 - 11/02/10 05:20 AM Re: Twin fin love/twin fin step-ups? [Re: chrisp510]
twinzerfan Offline
Billy Hamilton status

Quote:

DISCLAIMER - this is only my experience and not a rule of thumb by any means....

Yes. I based the 1st one on what G Griffin was saying about having the fins further back, aligned with the outline, and it had a swallow tail. I kept the bottom simple with slight forward vee to flat to slight vee in the tail.That particular board I didn't really like that much until it got bigger than chest high, or the waves had some punch - that is more due to me being a lazy surfer and riding thick/wide etc. most of the time. But, when the waves turned on, it was alive, in a good way. It was like snowboarding, but without all the drift between rails, and I could really lay into the bottom turn without worrying.

If I was stateside, I would have just gotten one from Greg though... but it is fun to play around with all this stuff.

#1633574 - 11/02/10 08:11 AM Re: Twin fin love/twin fin step-ups? [Re: 000]
WarrenC Offline
Michael Peterson status

Quote:

thank you.

#1633575 - 11/02/10 08:35 AM Re: Twin fin love/twin fin step-ups? [Re: GWS]
twinzerfan Offline
Billy Hamilton status

#1633576 - 11/02/10 01:38 PM Re: Twin fin love/twin fin step-ups? [Re: twinzerfan]
Valdez Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Loc: U.P. Michigan
my not worth much .02

Rob.. on a pretty big day in Hilo I rode my quad with MR style twins in the back on a thumbtail... held beautifully.. and was just about the same with it in the fronts with a butt crack trailer... really really similar.

that suprised me.

like to ride a pin twin and see how far apart the fins should be.. at 1 3/8 off the rail, I bet its somewhere around your feet width. just a guess tho...

#1633577 - 11/02/10 02:18 PM Re: Twin fin love/twin fin step-ups? [Re: Valdez]
kool-aid Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: San Francisco
tashnick was riding a twin fin gun last season. no idea what he's on this season. It's certainly doable. Used to ride a step-up round pin as a twin fin - not sure why - but it seemed to catch waves easier that way, was very fast, and very loose.

#1633578 - 11/02/10 02:44 PM Re: Twin fin love/twin fin step-ups? [Re: kool-aid]
etmo Offline
Michael Peterson status

Someone posted this a while back as a twin-fin gun:

Page 2 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 ... 14 15 >