REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#1575951 - 06/10/10 04:54 PM Re: What to get, egg or funboard? [Re: NowhereRat]
stu dog Offline
Duke status

Loc: CA
Quote:

First off, I appreciate all the comments and opinions that everyone is giving me.
Personally, I thought that the soft top and costco foam boards were bogus and was not looking into them much.
I am under the impression that this guy from craigslist is lying in his description and this board would not be good for me.
http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/spo/1781443838.html

nope
you'll struggle on that. it's too short and narrow. go at least 7'

#1575952 - 06/10/10 04:56 PM Re: What to get, egg or funboard? [Re: retodd]
stu dog Offline
Duke status

Loc: CA
Quote:

learn on a real board , when you fall and it hits you and it hurts , you will remember it and not do that again. you will learn to fix dings . learn what fin placement does .

too early for young grasshoper. he needs to learn how to standup before he can walk. all that will come in time after he knows the ocean.

#1575953 - 06/10/10 04:56 PM Re: What to get, egg or funboard? [Re: stu dog]
Noleash Offline
Nep status

Loc: Glorious LA County, CA
I've got a nice thick 7'2" Kingfish in the garage that I'd practically give away...

#1575954 - 06/10/10 05:03 PM Re: What to get, egg or funboard? [Re: Noleash]
retodd Offline
Duke status

7-6 in the classifieds , i bumped to the front for you .

#1575955 - 06/10/10 05:04 PM Re: What to get, egg or funboard? [Re: Noleash]
NowhereRat Offline
Grom

I figured it would not be good for me. It did not look like others I have seen that are said to be for beginners. I am not wanting to buy new.
What is this kingfish?
Thanks for the bump. I will check it out.

#1575956 - 06/10/10 05:08 PM Re: What to get, egg or funboard? [Re: NowhereRat]
Noleash Offline
Nep status

Like this one, except 7'2" and used with repairs to the deck. Perfectly serviceable, floaty as can be. Blue and white. Three fins, adjustable center fin, deck traction. Watertight.

http://aaronryan.com/gallery2/v/AaronsStuff/Kingfish/

#1575957 - 06/10/10 05:43 PM Re: What to get, egg or funboard? [Re: Noleash]
GDaddy Offline
Duke status

Loc: Carlsbad
If you're not going to go with the 8ft sotftop then the 7-6 egg mentioned above is the next best thing for you. While I'm sure the 7-2 Kingfish is a solid board and surfs well, I wouldn't send a beginner out on a board with a relatively wider tail and flatter rocker. It takes a higher degree of experience, skill and judgment to convert those attributes from weaknesses to strengths.

The downside is that the cost of ownership on a fiberglass board during your first year will prolly include another $200 in repair costs - that's if you don't snap the board by driving into the bottom from pearling it.

Go cheap. Your first year in surfing is expensive enough as it is.

#1575958 - 06/10/10 05:53 PM Re: What to get, egg or funboard? [Re: GDaddy]
bird. Offline
Phil Edwards status

Loc: LA
I think some of you are forgetting what it was like to learn how to surf. 6 months in the whitewash? Seriously?*

If you've got skating experience, which it sounds like you do, you're right. You will want a more maneuverable board pretty quickly, especially if you've got friends who surf and can show you the ropes. Try to find a used fun shape or egg in the mid 7 foot range. Soft tops are garbage. Especially the Costco ones.

*Disclaimer: Just because you're not floundering in the whitewash doesn't mean you should be out at a crowded surf spot. Know your limits and learn to control your board.

#1575959 - 06/10/10 06:20 PM Re: What to get, egg or funboard? [Re: Noleash]
NowhereRat Offline
Grom

So what do you mean when you say you would practically give away the kingfish?

#1575960 - 06/10/10 09:12 PM Re: What to get, egg or funboard? [Re: NowhereRat]
Noleash Offline
Nep status

Quote:

So what do you mean when you say you would practically give away the kingfish?

Sent you a PM.

#1575961 - 06/11/10 01:03 AM Re: What to get, egg or funboard? [Re: Noleash]
lorcar Offline
Gerry Lopez status

Loc: flatMed
as someone who has been in the post-beginner phase for long time now, and took 3 different surfcamps and lessons from various teachers, started on a NSP 7'10 then BIC longboard, my advice is to start with a real board, used or at least tough material. Search in my previous posts, and you'll see the board I bought second hand: a 7'4'' funboard. I did struggle a lot with it, with a lot of frustration. I was terrified to go few inches shorter, simply because you learn that longer boards are for beginner and shortboards are for pro. Bullshit! I bought a 6'4'' tuflite flyer, and during the first session I caught more waves with it than with my 7'4'' in the previous months. So don't be scared that much. Surf is most difficult sport on earth, but not as much as they make you believe. No need to start with a softboard. A longboard/minimal from BIC will be good to start (this is the way here in Europe people start and then go shorter) but in my opinion you could easily start with a non-bic board (I am not a big fun of BIC). Then once you'll ditch the longboard, you'll see how different is to carry a shorter/lighter board under your arm. You'll discover that paddling with a shorter board is something not only Kelly Slater can do, but you can as well. So don't be too scared, dont waste money with softboard, start the soonest with a real second-hand board, practice as much as you can, then re-sell the board and get a new second hand shorter board. BTW, you dont HAVE to go shorter just for sake of it. If you like long you can easily stay with it! I also think that longboards are much better than 'minimal', those shapes in between which (as my board) have no real advantage but all the cons of different shapes

#1575962 - 06/11/10 06:17 AM Re: What to get, egg or funboard? [Re: lorcar]
retodd Offline
Duke status

good advice !

even he said NO SOFTTY !! no funboard !!

#1575963 - 06/11/10 06:39 AM Re: What to get, egg or funboard? [Re: retodd]
Noleash Offline
Nep status

While longboards are easier to paddle and stand up on, they tend to be heavy, unwieldy in the water, are difficult to turn and impossible to duck dive. I used to longboard regularly (and got to the point where I learned the boards, could turn hard and walk) but after having not touched one for about 6 months, I took out my 9'8" on a pretty small day and was pretty stunned at the contrast.

I thought it was like hauling a dead body into the lineup. Lots of unnecessary bulk and heft, and I didn't find that it was any "easier" to ride than my Fish. I just had to do everything differently - taking off way earlier to avoid pearling, having to put all my weight into bottom turns to get it going down the line, using extreme care on kickouts, etc. It was a little like trying to type with mittens on.

I learned to surf on shortboards in beach break, which was pretty unforgiving, but depending where you are surfing, a longboard can be a real impediment IMO. Regardless of what you might read on the boards -- yes, people use them as crutches all the time -- but achieving real competency on them is definitely not easy.

#1575964 - 06/11/10 07:16 AM Re: What to get, egg or funboard? [Re: retodd]
WarrenC Offline
Michael Peterson status

Quote:

7-6 in the classifieds , i bumped to the front for you .

props to retodd.

just took a look at this board, this is what you need, priced right, large enough at your dims to be very forgiving, and made by GH no less, meaning someone will actually be interested in it once you're over it.

that CI from C-list is a POS and has frustration for the beginner surfer written all over it, the GH in classifieds is right on, and you're buying it from Tanner, a guy I do not know personally but a stand up guy no less who has impeccable taste in boards...his quiver is the thing of legends... and much beating off...

The CI on c-list is a 'sucker' board... $200? I wouldn't give him $50 for it

if you r in CA, and near Tanner's location, you'd be a fool not to at least go look at it...it's also a board you could keep if you like, no requirement to get rid of a GH single fin egg, you could ride until it falls apart, then throw it in your attic and revisit your first board from time to time... wish I had mine to do so.

my twenty five cents.

#1575965 - 06/11/10 10:29 AM Re: What to get, egg or funboard? [Re: WarrenC]
Dawn_patrol Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: HB
I agree with some of the others here. Don't blow any money on Costco crap or gigantic longboards. If you have any fitness level and athleticism, you'll be out of the whitewash way before 6 months. If you've spent time bodysurfing or sponging and have an idea how to handle yourself in the ocean, you'll pick it up even faster. Get a egg type board, EPS for lightness if possible, in the 7' to 7'6" range. Go out everyday, in any condition. Learn by doing. Over and over and over. Embrace going over the falls and getting drilled in the impact zone; it's all part of the experience! With time you will catch on to the skills and techniques to get better. It's a life long learning pursuit. There is no substitute for getting out in the water, a lot. Dings are part of surfing. Buy a repair kit, follow the directions, and enjoy taking care of your board. You will learn how to avoid your board after you get smacked by it a couple of times. Softtops are for kids or pussies. My young daughters ride a softtop and you don't want to be like them. Good luck and have fun! DP

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >