REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Best Way To Treat Reef Rash... #1544569
03/26/10 04:14 PM
03/26/10 04:14 PM
B
bordo Offline OP
Grom
bordo  Offline OP
Grom
B

alright chawl, I was kinda suprised that I couldn't really find this anywhere in here... but I think it'd be pretty neat for anyone who has been fortunate or unfortunate (however you wanna look at it) enough to have an up-close and personal experience with a sharp and shallow reef, to post their most frequently used remedies...

I have heard of everything from just soap and water, to lime and hydrogen peroxide, and I've even been trying some "Tieh Ta Yao Gin" (indonesian stuff in a red bottle)...

But what works best for you?

Re: Best Way To Treat Reef Rash... [Re: bordo] #1544570
03/26/10 05:06 PM
03/26/10 05:06 PM
Hacienda Iguana, Nicaragua
F
flyinraptr Offline
Michael Peterson status
flyinraptr  Offline
Michael Peterson status
F

Hacienda Iguana, Nicaragua
Quote:

alright chawl, I was kinda suprised that I couldn't really find this anywhere in here... but I think it'd be pretty neat for anyone who has been fortunate or unfortunate (however you wanna look at it) enough to have an up-close and personal experience with a sharp and shallow reef, to post their most frequently used remedies...

I have heard of everything from just soap and water, to lime and hydrogen peroxide, and I've even been trying some "Tieh Ta Yao Gin" (indonesian stuff in a red bottle)...

But what works best for you?

I've always used old reliable hydrogen peroxide myself but back in the day I use to see guys pissing on it. I never tried it myself but one time a friend of mine hit the side of his head on the reef at the North Shore .... we didn't have any hydrogen peroxide at the time so I offered to piss on his head but he declined ... weird

Re: Best Way To Treat Reef Rash... #1544572
03/27/10 01:47 PM
03/27/10 01:47 PM
Brooklyn- Manhattan beach
S
spenat Offline
Nep status
spenat  Offline
Nep status
S

Brooklyn- Manhattan beach
rub it kook, scar for life

use betadine or just take a fresh lime and rub the juice in it

peroxide works too but increased the scar as if kill both your tissue and bacteria (so does lime and betadine thou)

you can also just take some baby shampoo and a toothbrush to it with some elbow grease

Re: Best Way To Treat Reef Rash... [Re: bordo] #1544573
03/27/10 03:12 PM
03/27/10 03:12 PM
Singapore
M
mediashark Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
mediashark  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
M

Singapore
I did first aiding on a Mentawai charter. Treated lots of reef cuts, and even some that required stitches.

Have in your kit--plenty of everything: clean cotton balls, gauze/dressing, hydrogen peroxide, antibiotic cream, alcohol, iodine, bandages or band-aids. Suture kit if you can get one.

Day one--clean your hands before treating any wounds, wear gloves if treating someone you don't know, hydrogen peroxide, and scrub hard. It's going to hurt, but you have to get all the debris out. Use tweezers to get stubborn particles. Had one guy pass out when we were treating his torn-up back. (Wasn't pretty, but we had to get it cleaned!) But this is the one and only time you're going to use this so bear with it, don't use it more than once or else you're going to get scars and will slow down natural healing.

Do NOT use lime. It is neither sterile nor clean.

After hydrogen peroxide, iodine . Helps form a protective barrier.

Follow with antibiotic cream. This is the important stuff.

Cover with gauze/dressing, and secure with bandage or bandage tape. Small cuts will do fine with band-aids. Those latex waterproof band-aids are awesome but some people are allergic to it.

Follow-up care: wash wound with mild soap and water, quick swab with alcohol, followed by iodine and antibiotic cream. Cover the wound up again.

Repeat when it gets wet again, and for the next few days until it's closed up. As it heals up, you can be less concerned with alcohol/iodine but keep using the antibiotic cream as it seems to help prevent scarring as well.

If infection sets in (it shouldn't if you follow the above steps), start a course of antibiotics.

If the wound is deep, it may require steri-strips or stitches. However if you want to go back into the water, you'll have to put in stitches as steri-strips won't hold. Have someone show you or one of your gang how to do stitches (get a chicken to practise on) before you get out there.

Yes, it really doesn't hurt to be a little paranoid even little cuts as they can get septic in tropical weather, and help is a long way off if you're in remote areas. But this is what we did on the boat and we had not a single infection and nobody lost a day in the water.

Re: Best Way To Treat Reef Rash... [Re: mediashark] #1544574
04/03/10 09:26 AM
04/03/10 09:26 AM
N
neinfore Offline
Phil Edwards status
neinfore  Offline
Phil Edwards status
N

does aloe vera do any good for it?

peas,

9'4''

so, rolling stone gather no moss, eh?
Re: Best Way To Treat Reef Rash... [Re: neinfore] #1544575
04/03/10 09:33 AM
04/03/10 09:33 AM
Singapore
M
mediashark Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
mediashark  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
M

Singapore
Yes--that's good stuff--but use it after the wound has closed up. Helps healing and prevents scarring, chafing etc.

Re: Best Way To Treat Reef Rash... [Re: ] #1544577
04/05/10 05:20 AM
04/05/10 05:20 AM
Singapore
M
mediashark Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
mediashark  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
M

Singapore
Thanks PPK!

Guess what? I've been called up to do another Mentawai trip again later this month... here comes more reef cuts... and disease-carrying mozzies as we'll be land-based this time...

Re: Best Way To Treat Reef Rash... [Re: mediashark] #1544578
04/06/10 01:43 PM
04/06/10 01:43 PM
The A-T-L
D
diro Offline
Kelly Slater status
diro  Offline
Kelly Slater status
D

The A-T-L
mediashark: what have you heard about using "chinese medicine", purchased at almost any pharmacy in Indo. I have used this stuff with good results....the bottles I purchased look kinda like this:

Last edited by diro; 04/06/10 01:44 PM.

life is not about finding yourself. life is about creating yourself.
Re: Best Way To Treat Reef Rash... [Re: diro] #1544579
04/06/10 06:57 PM
04/06/10 06:57 PM
San Francisco, CA
M
Mr Doof Offline
Duke status
Mr Doof  Offline
Duke status
M

San Francisco, CA
Quote:

mediashark: what have you heard about using "chinese medicine", purchased at almost any pharmacy in Indo. I have used this stuff with good results....the bottles I purchased look kinda like this:

I am sure the various metal salts and melamine do wonders on those little germs.

Honestly, I have no idea what is in that stuff, but the color does remind me of iodine.

Oh, and Mediashark types like a person who knows what they are typing about...good stuff.

Re: Best Way To Treat Reef Rash... [Re: Mr Doof] #1544580
04/07/10 09:38 AM
04/07/10 09:38 AM
B
bordo Offline OP
Grom
bordo  Offline OP
Grom
B

Yeah, I have used "Tieh Ta Yao Gin" a couple times on some gnarly bruises and on a good size cut once... It worked great and felt awesome on the bruises. but when I used it on a cut, it hurt like poop then seemed like it just made a big scab bigger and even seemed to scar more. I know surfers are using this stuff a lot, and I'm bringin a whole bunch on my next trip... but does anyone else have some advice or experiences on using this stuff?

Thanks

Re: Best Way To Treat Reef Rash... [Re: diro] #1544581
04/07/10 11:38 AM
04/07/10 11:38 AM
Singapore
M
mediashark Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
mediashark  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
M

Singapore
Yup I've heard of this stuff, never seen it used it before though, and nobody seems to know what's in it. I would venture a guess that it's a mix of iodine or gentian violet with some herbal stuff and essential oils, maybe the odd heavy metals or chemicals tossed in for good measure. Typical Chinese ointments seem to have nutmeg oil, camphor, menthol, kerosene (yes, kerosene), paraffin (as wax in balms) so I suppose it's likely to have one or more of these. Anyway if there's any small print in Chinese, I might be able to read it if you can scan it and post it here.

I'm generally very cautious of traditional Chinese medicine and will only use quality ones from reputable brands or those that are proven to be safe. However, these are often expensive. TCM is big here, and it is good for general health and nutrition... but they're often not as effective for first-aid stuff.

Do I recommend it? I know a lot of surfers use it, but I also know a lot of surfers just use lime (which is not recommended), or do nothing, and they return from charters looking like they've just returned from a war zone. Would I use it? Nope. Because I've no idea what's in there, and I'd never give anyone anything without knowing what exactly is in it--and besides, the above method/s I described are proven to be foolproof.

And oh, if the cuts or scrapes start getting itchy, pop an antihistamine tablet, and apply hydrocortisone cream. Whatever you do--don't scratch!

Re: Best Way To Treat Reef Rash... #1544583
04/18/10 09:57 PM
04/18/10 09:57 PM
Santa Barbara
G
g Offline
Nep status
g  Offline
Nep status
G

Santa Barbara
Maybe it is just how they do it in "south pacific" but scrubbing lemon into the cut is the only thing that kills the bacteria left in your wound. Even a small tag, you gotta hit it with lemon or it will go off with staph infection within a few days. You gotta hit it immediately after getting out of the water or if you wait, more chance for infection.

Hydrogen peroxide doesn't do it. Then keep some sort of iodine / eusin / red medicine on it. Since it is so humid/wet down there, this is the only thing that will dry out your cut and heal. If you keep hitting it with Hydrogen peroxide and ointment - it'll never dry out and heal unless you plan to stay out of the water for a month.

Limon and the red stuff.

I had a 3 week old gash that was halfway healed got infected and the doctor had to rip it open by scrubbing it with a gauze pad. That was the worst doctor visit I have ever had.

Re: Best Way To Treat Reef Rash... [Re: g] #1544584
04/27/10 12:20 PM
04/27/10 12:20 PM
Singapore
M
mediashark Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
mediashark  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
M

Singapore
If it hasn't been mentioned enough in this thread...

USE HYDROGEN PEROXIDE ONLY ONCE!

Use it more than once, and you'll kill off everything, including the tissue that is attempting to heal, and you will scar, and the wound will not heal and will start to ulcerate.

If it does start to ulcerate (likely when it gets wet), use iodine or gentian violet.

Re: Best Way To Treat Reef Rash... [Re: mediashark] #1544585
04/27/10 10:50 PM
04/27/10 10:50 PM
B
bombora Offline
Grom
bombora  Offline
Grom
B

This was the advice from a Kiwi surfing doctor who helped establish SurfAid (was on a junket to the Mentawais several years back and we helped him shift a bunch of SurfAid mosssie nets between islands on our boat): "F**k that red Chinese sh*t in a bottle. Wash wound with (bottled) fresh water first. Then squeeze that lime all over while scrubbing with a clean, unused, soft bristle tooth brush. Repeat with lime and toothbrush. Give it a bloody hard scrub. Then apply Betadine." Don't ever use a tooth brush which has been used to brush your teeth. Human mouth is full of nasty bacteria. I always take a couple of new, in their package, soft bristle brushes on boat trips. Scrub HARD and take the pain!!! Don't know if Betadine is an Oz/NZ brand name but it's a red liquid: hospital-grade iodine style liquid I think.

Re: Best Way To Treat Reef Rash... [Re: bombora] #1544586
07/27/12 09:09 PM
07/27/12 09:09 PM
flatMed
L
lorcar Offline
Gerry Lopez status
lorcar  Offline
Gerry Lopez status
L

flatMed
found this old thread as my trip to Bali approaches.
SO help me understand: you go surf with a motorbike, you hit the reef and need lime/Hydrog/betadine/chinese red drug/whatever.
So how do you do? do you have all that stuff under the seat of your motorbike, with spare leash/wax/fins/clothes? or you just drive to the closest hospital/farmacy, risking the infection to get worse? or in every warung on the beach there is someone expert in reef cut treatment?

thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32