REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
cool article about craftsmanship & why it is important #1539107
03/11/10 01:23 PM
03/11/10 01:23 PM
Gig Harbor
S
shiver_me_timbers Offline OP
Phil Edwards status
shiver_me_timbers  Offline OP
Phil Edwards status
S

Gig Harbor
"There is a craftsperson in everyone, according to Richard Sennett. But don’t spend too much time plumbing your psyche for a latent woodworker, quilter, or metalsmith. Craftsmanship, according to Sennett, a sociologist at New York University and the London School of Economics, both includes and eclipses the endeavors that might jump to mind. It is an “enduring, basic human impulse, the desire to do a job well for its own sake,” he writes. It’s also an impulse that contemporary culture, with its obsessive embrace of efficiency, financial reward, and the bottom line, has devalued—to its own detriment."

read on.... http://www.utne.com/Spirituality/Crafting-a-New-World.aspx

Re: cool article about craftsmanship & why it is important [Re: shiver_me_timbers] #1539108
03/11/10 02:56 PM
03/11/10 02:56 PM
D
Doghouse Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
Doghouse  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
D

great article, much food for thought there. Thanks for posting that!

"We in Western society have largely become 'observers' rather than 'doers'... I believe that the decline in appreciation of Craftsmanship is at the root of this trend, and that this trend must be reversed for us to survive.

"I also believe that we all innately share a love and appreciation of fine craftsmanship, but most do not have a reference point or access to examples of it…"

- The Internet Craftsmanship Museum Presents: An Essay on Craftsmanship, by William L. (Bill) Gould

Re: cool article about craftsmanship & why it is important [Re: Doghouse] #1539109
03/11/10 07:00 PM
03/11/10 07:00 PM
SOUTH OF SANTA CRUZ
R
RAINBOWFINS Offline
Gerry Lopez status
RAINBOWFINS  Offline
Gerry Lopez status
R

SOUTH OF SANTA CRUZ
I people asking me all the time when I am working on my house"how do you know how to do that"
I tell them I just tried doing it and didn't stop till I figured it out. Most people are to afraid to fail.

Shawd DeWitt Rainbow Fin Co Inc info@rainbowfins.com p 831-728-2998
Re: cool article about craftsmanship & why it is important [Re: RAINBOWFINS] #1539110
03/11/10 08:03 PM
03/11/10 08:03 PM
San Clemente
T
tom@daumtooling Offline
Michael Peterson status
tom@daumtooling  Offline
Michael Peterson status
T

San Clemente
There is a huge sense of satisfaction when you get to see and use the results of your efforts. Making quality tangible stuff is the antithesis of selling credit default swaps.

Re: cool article about craftsmanship & why it is important [Re: shiver_me_timbers] #1539111
03/11/10 09:56 PM
03/11/10 09:56 PM
Gig Harbor
S
shiver_me_timbers Offline OP
Phil Edwards status
shiver_me_timbers  Offline OP
Phil Edwards status
S

Gig Harbor
I just realized this article posting was my 2500th post. Poetic in its own right. I credit this forum as allowing me to appreciate craft and design on a deeper level than I would have attained on my own. The article mentions that collaboration is a part of the process; this forum is a organic gathering of those with similar interests and divergent viewpoints. Thanks guys for opening my eyes to more possibilities.

"Not what we have but what we enjoy, constitutes our abundance." - John Petit-Senn
Re: cool article about craftsmanship & why it is important [Re: shiver_me_timbers] #1539112
03/11/10 10:09 PM
03/11/10 10:09 PM
Tower 13
S
silentbutdeadly Offline
Duke status
silentbutdeadly  Offline
Duke status
S

Tower 13
I liked the article.

I happen to be nearly handicapped when working with my hands. I can understand and do quite a bit, but it takes a long time and for the most part, I don't enjoy it.

My Dad is the opposite. Loves doing everything himself and has an amazing talent for figuring things out. He tried his best on me and I feel kind of bad at times for it but what are you gonna do? People are programmed differently I suppose.

"The size / dimensions don't matter. What does matter is that it's flammable. Because you should set it on fire and get a real surfboard" Witchipoo