REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
Page 2 of 245 < 1 2 3 4 ... 244 245 >
View All Topics Index
#1527415 - 02/17/10 12:34 AM Re: The COIL review thread [Re: need 4 speed]
20W-50 and blood Online   mad
Duke status

Loc: SOCAL
all ie ra was somethign aboiut stretchign rears.

#1527416 - 02/17/10 06:25 AM Re: The COIL review thread [Re: 20W-50 and blood]
need 4 speed Online   content
Miki Dora status

Loc: SoCal
Quote:

all ie ra was somethign aboiut stretchign rears.

Can I get an interpreter?

#1527417 - 02/17/10 08:41 AM Re: The COIL review thread [Re: rid]
Oceanslide Online   content
Rabbitt Bartholomew status

Loc: Oceanside, CA
I know Todd has a couple...he's given me most of the
info. that pushed me over the edge into ordering one (yes
pgr, it's a done deal ).
Hopefully he'll give a review of both here. I think
hackeysacky (sp?) has had a couple as well.
Paging those two...

#1527418 - 02/17/10 11:17 AM Re: The COIL review thread [Re: Oceanslide]
BrownFish Offline
Michael Peterson status

Not to Hijak, and I know it's a done deal. Why not try out Proctor? Great shaper and seems to have some similar tech. No shipping. With that being said, I would live to give a Coil a whirl myself.

#1527419 - 02/17/10 12:00 PM Re: The COIL review thread [Re: Oceanslide]
hackeysaky Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: NJ
I have a number of coils and posted a lot on them at Sways. I'm really busy at the moment but will chime in here when things settle down. Until then, check that Coil Ride Reports thread and check out my original review of my Coil #1 some time ago:

http://eastcoastsurfer.com/reviews/coil/

#1527420 - 02/17/10 12:09 PM Re: The COIL review thread [Re: BrownFish]
afoaf Offline
Duke status

I don't think their special sauce is based on carbon rails
or kevlar stomp patches.

#1527421 - 02/17/10 03:51 PM Re: The COIL review thread [Re: afoaf]
BrownFish Offline
Michael Peterson status

PROCTOR PROXY EPOXY SERIES

Check out the videos, including the one on construction at the bottom. I've always thought these were real interesting and he does a great job explaining himself and the boards he makes.

I don't live in Ventura, so I personally don't know what his reputation is like, be he's seems to be on top of his craft.

#1527422 - 02/17/10 06:38 PM Re: The COIL review thread [Re: BrownFish]
Oceanslide Online   content
Rabbitt Bartholomew status

Loc: Oceanside, CA
I had two Proctor 'Proxy' boards not long ago. A Falcon,
which is a REALLY good board, and a Big Chief, which was
just OK, IMO. Completely different deal than a Coil, although
very impressive as well. Let's
keep this thread on topic and back to Coils please.

#1527423 - 02/17/10 08:02 PM Re: The COIL review thread [Re: Oceanslide]
retodd Offline
Duke status

sorry i am late to the party .

i have two coils , one round tail widerboard at 6-2 x 19 x1/4 x 2 1/4. flash back fish at 5-8 x 19 1/2 x 2 3/16. i am 6-1 170ish. decent ability and have been surfing 20 years.

pics at swalocks on page 12 .

first up widerboard, so i am lurking on sways and see the coils, they look bitchen and that gets my attention. start reading and everyone has good stuff to say. ok send an email to mike d and ask a few ? how much, how long, what is the grid looking stuff, blah blah blah. so i tell him about the boards i have been surfing on lately, and what i want out of a board, where i normaly surf , newps and trestles, once in blue moon creek, blacks, rincon, o side. WB is the call.

paypal goes through and 28 days later they are ready for the balance. i was like WTF you told me one month and it was actually one month. few days later the Masonite taco shows up. unwrap it and crap my pants. first off sofaking white, clean outline the grid stuff looks way better than it did on the computer, blah blah.

first day out it felt good but the waves were kinda crappy so whatever. next few times out at uppers i got a better feel , could tune into the flex out of the bottom turns , the snap in the direction changes, the absorption of energy when landing floaters, most of all how easy it paddles into waves!! now fast forward a little ,i had not surfed any of my other boards in months , nice south comes in so i decide to take out my channel bottom from my local shaper. it felt super stiff and unresponsive, slow ( what ) , just way funky. next day back to the WB and it was like oh hell yeah, this is the what im talking about, everything you want a board to do and feel like.

i have traded off with many people in the water, all positive remarks when they try it. Rid put it very well when he said it captures the energy of the wave so easy. also everyone who feels it says the same thing about the rails, " these rails feel good "

flash back fish, 5-8 x 19 1/2 x 2 3/16
3 sessions so far
cottons last saturday, so fun , bigger than i expected . board surfed good in the overhead conditions. good float for the lower volume, even faster off the take off than the WB, looser backside, ridiculous speed frontside , good first sesh.
round 2 sunday the 14th. blackies , fvcking crowded , but got some good ones , no real chances to bust a move or two because of crowd.

round 3 tuesday at 28th, low tide little drainers. board does good in the barrel, super fast, turns on a dime, throws a shite load of water in the turns. i love this board, i am actually looking forward to surfing mushburgers again

only reson i would get a board other than a coil would be ,
a hull , they dont make them
a longboard, they dont make them
a gun over 7 foot , they dont make them

#1527424 - 02/17/10 09:03 PM Re: The COIL review thread [Re: need 4 speed]
Racerx63 Offline
Nep status

Loc: San Diego
Quote:

GG inspired 5 fin set up
for those so inclined 1.24 ft

What can I say.I'm a kool-aid drinker

Beautiful!! Sweet look of the rounded pin with the Griff 5 fin layout.

#1527425 - 02/17/10 09:25 PM Re: The COIL review thread [Re: Racerx63]
Greg Griffin Offline
Duke status

Loc: Palm Coast , Florida
Super nice custom made boards.
I hope they are booked for 6 months.
They deserve it from their efforts.
Attention to all details at all times.

#1527426 - 02/18/10 03:58 PM Re: The COIL review thread [Re: Racerx63]
need 4 speed Online   content
Miki Dora status

Loc: SoCal
How bad ass would it be to see some Griff/Coil colaberation?

#1527427 - 02/18/10 06:12 PM Re: The COIL review thread [Re: retodd]
rdj Offline
Nep status

Loc: Monmouth Co., NJ
Quote:

sorry i am late to the party .

i have two coils , one round tail widerboard at 6-2 x 19 x1/4 x 2 1/4. flash back fish at 5-8 x 19 1/2 x 2 3/16. i am 6-1 170ish. decent ability and have been surfing 20 years.

pics at swalocks on page 12 .

first up widerboard, so i am lurking on sways and see the coils, they look bitchen and that gets my attention. start reading and everyone has good stuff to say. ok send an email to mike d and ask a few ? how much, how long, what is the grid looking stuff, blah blah blah. so i tell him about the boards i have been surfing on lately, and what i want out of a board, where i normaly surf , newps and trestles, once in blue moon creek, blacks, rincon, o side. WB is the call.

paypal goes through and 28 days later they are ready for the balance. i was like WTF you told me one month and it was actually one month. few days later the Masonite taco shows up. unwrap it and crap my pants. first off sofaking white, clean outline the grid stuff looks way better than it did on the computer, blah blah.

first day out it felt good but the waves were kinda crappy so whatever. next few times out at uppers i got a better feel , could tune into the flex out of the bottom turns , the snap in the direction changes, the absorption of energy when landing floaters, most of all how easy it paddles into waves!! now fast forward a little ,i had not surfed any of my other boards in months , nice south comes in so i decide to take out my channel bottom from my local shaper. it felt super stiff and unresponsive, slow ( what ) , just way funky. next day back to the WB and it was like oh hell yeah, this is the what im talking about, everything you want a board to do and feel like.

i have traded off with many people in the water, all positive remarks when they try it. Rid put it very well when he said it captures the energy of the wave so easy. also everyone who feels it says the same thing about the rails, " these rails feel good "

flash back fish, 5-8 x 19 1/2 x 2 3/16
3 sessions so far
cottons last saturday, so fun , bigger than i expected . board surfed good in the overhead conditions. good float for the lower volume, even faster off the take off than the WB, looser backside, ridiculous speed frontside , good first sesh.
round 2 sunday the 14th. blackies , fvcking crowded , but got some good ones , no real chances to bust a move or two because of crowd.

round 3 tuesday at 28th, low tide little drainers. board does good in the barrel, super fast, turns on a dime, throws a shite load of water in the turns. i love this board, i am actually looking forward to surfing mushburgers again

only reson i would get a board other than a coil would be ,
a hull , they dont make them
a longboard, they dont make them
a gun over 7 foot , they dont make them

I also own two Coils and I could not have described my experiences better than this.

Mike Daniel is such an easy shaper to work with. He listens and is able to translate the mish mosh of ideas you regurgitate out to him into the most amazing boards that out-perform your own expectations and abilities. The combination of his craftsmanship and the Coil process results in boards that are so lively and responsive you will not want to ride anything else. Other than my bonzers from Malcolm I have no reason to go to any shaper other than Mike.

#1527428 - 02/18/10 06:21 PM Re: The COIL review thread [Re: rdj]
rdj Offline
Nep status

Loc: Monmouth Co., NJ
I owe Hackeysaky for getting me addicted to Coils.

Here's #1. Bringing this one to Nica in month from now. 6'5" step-up. I surf this mostly in the winter.

More pics here http://surfboardpainting.blogspot.com/2008/10/mike-daniel-coil-step-up-custom.html

And #2

This is blend of the widerboard and qualifier. The board blows my mind. I make drops and stick turns i never could before on this board.

Mike and Kirk went out of their way to ship this board to me at a hotel in Northern California so I could surf it on my trip down the coast. Both really great guys to work with. If you're on the fence about where to order your next board, I highly recommend giving Mike a call.

#1527429 - 02/19/10 12:36 PM Re: The COIL review thread [Re: Oceanslide]
surfercross Offline
Grom

Well as the owner 3 coils I feel that I have a pretty good handle on how they perform.First of all Mike is a great shaper and he really prides himself in what he does and he is really into giving his customer the best board.Second is that the coil tech absolutely has made a difference not just for me but for friends that have coils themselves.The boards just seem to stay under your feet damn good.Third thing is that I never worry about pulling into some barrel and thinking if I don't make will my board come up in 2 pieces.They aren't indestructable but they hold up like no other board I have ever had.

I have had 2 sunovas,2 firewires and regular epoxies and they can't hold a candle to what a CUSTOM HAND SHAPED COIL has done for my fun time.

I currently have a widerboard on order right now and it should be done soon.I can't wait!So if you want a board that makes you have more fun then in my opinion you can't go wrong with getting a coil!

I would post pics but I am computer handicapped.If somebody could post them for me I can email them to you.

Page 2 of 245 < 1 2 3 4 ... 244 245 >