REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#1522717 - 02/03/10 10:40 AM How do I get water our of my surfboard?
csarqui Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

This surftech has 2 cracks in the deck and has obviously taken on water. It's been left alone to dry for about month, but its obvious that it has water in it because it has become heavy and I can still see some drips here and there near the opennings. How can I encourage the water to come out? Here are some things that I'm planning on.

-Make the openning bigger so that the water can make it's way out.
-Drill some hole in the bottom of the board and lean it against a wall. This is where is seems oddly heavy.
-Add some light heat to encourage the board to sweat it out.

Opinions? Ideas? Thanks in advance.

#1522718 - 02/03/10 10:49 AM Re: How do I get water our of my surfboard? [Re: csarqui]
walrus Offline
Billy Hamilton status

Loc: NJ
ok, several ideas: a) make ding bigger, set board so ding is lowest point and wait. b) make ding bigger, make air vent on side opposite ding and wait..
c) once water stops draining fix with epoxy resin. d) (my favorite) take ad in craig's list and sell the SOB Now!

#1522719 - 02/03/10 10:52 AM Re: How do I get water our of my surfboard? [Re: csarqui]
Kevincc Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

You can use a shop vac to try to suck some of the water out. I have heard of people doing this with success.

#1522720 - 02/03/10 10:52 AM Re: How do I get water our of my surfboard? [Re: csarqui]
stu dog Offline
Duke status

Loc: CA
Quote:

Ideas?

don't buy a surftech

#1522721 - 02/03/10 11:04 AM Re: How do I get water our of my surfboard? [Re: csarqui]
chrisp510 Offline
Billy Hamilton status

#1522722 - 02/03/10 03:00 PM Re: How do I get water our of my surfboard? [Re: csarqui]
csarqui Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Thanks for the recommendations. You guys crack me up. The link to the "boardlady" was exactly what I'm looking for.

I bought this surftech "Black Knight" for my son to learn on. I think it's perfect for him to abuse during the learning process.

#1522723 - 02/03/10 04:26 PM Re: How do I get water our of my surfboard? [Re: csarqui]
NorCrusty Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Loc: Santa Cruz
When I can't get the water out I typically hold the board over an open flame. Yes, it can burn but I'm not a pvssy.

You can put the board in a hot car and turn on the AC (it's common knowledge that AC dries out the air.)

I know this girl, Sally. She can suck liquid out of a stone. A pabst and romantic comedy and your board will be good as new.

#1522724 - 02/03/10 04:52 PM Re: How do I get water our of my surfboard? [Re: walrus]
dawnpatrol77 Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Loc: between sunrise and a swell
My vote is with Walrus (option D)

#1522725 - 02/03/10 05:22 PM Re: How do I get water our of my surfboard? [Re: csarqui]
Kapu_dup1 Offline
Grom

Loc: Kauai
I use a hair blow dryer. Just set it up pointed at the crack and let it sit for awhile.

#1522726 - 02/03/10 11:40 PM Re: How do I get water our of my surfboard? [Re: csarqui]
manjushri Offline
Billy Hamilton status

Loc: +62
put it in a bag of rice for a couple days, the rice will suck out the water.

#1522727 - 02/04/10 01:49 AM Re: How do I get water our of my surfboard? [Re: csarqui]
rocferd Offline
Nep status

Loc: Skyline, blood!!
Where are you located? If you're in or near San Diego, Oceanside specifically, Joe Hendig has the vacuum set-up for water removal. In LA, Josh over at Sticky Fingers Epoxy Repair in Gardena and Mark Brog of Soul Performance in Redondo Beach have the vacuum capabilities.

#1522728 - 02/04/10 02:03 PM Re: How do I get water our of my surfboard? [Re: csarqui]
csarqui Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

For now I grinded out the 2 - 4in cracks in the deck, removing some of the glass to make the openings about 3/4" wide. I also put 2 - 3/4" holes near the tail on either side and I have the board standing on it's tail. I'm pretty good with ding repair so this doesn't scare me too much.

Based on the weight of the board there has to be like half a liter of water hiding in there somewhere. The "board lady" said that she had 1 board that took 6 months to dry out. I'm not that patient!

Another idea I had was to put it in a padded surfboard bag with a heat pad to get that thing steaming. But I don't know how long that will take either or what affect that will have my electric bill.

#1522729 - 02/04/10 02:06 PM Re: How do I get water our of my surfboard? [Re: csarqui]
csarqui Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

rocford, how do I get in touch with "Joe Hendig"?

#1522730 - 02/04/10 02:13 PM Re: How do I get water our of my surfboard? [Re: csarqui]
rid Offline
Gerry Lopez status

Loc: California
What about heat --> delam?

#1522731 - 02/04/10 03:15 PM Re: How do I get water our of my surfboard? [Re: csarqui]
PReD Offline
Billy Hamilton status

Loc: Ventura, CA
I had an stringerless epoxy that leaked in one of the FCS plugs... I fixed it by first sucking out what I could by mouth like getting the poison out of a snake bite

doesn't taste great but it wont kill you, if you have more than one hole then blowing in one seems to help push water out of the other

then once I got as much as I could out, I duct taped a garbage bag around the ding about 6 inches diameter, you dont want it directly on or the water has no where to go.... once you have taped a plastic sheet over the ding, poke a small hole and feed a wet/dry - shop vac hose through the middle, tape that off too...now set the board somewhere warm so the natural expansion of the board helps facilitate the process...leave the vacum running for about an hour....remove the plastic wipe it down, reattach a new sheet of plastic and repeat...within few hours you will get all the water out that is ever gonna come out.

viola!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >