REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Quad Longboard??? #1201453
05/08/08 05:31 PM
05/08/08 05:31 PM
Spain (Asturias)
K
KC_BRAINS Offline OP
Legend (inyourownmind)
KC_BRAINS  Offline OP
Legend (inyourownmind)
K

Spain (Asturias)
I am thinking of getting a longboard for the summer and have seen a couple of longboards with quad fin configurations. I just have not talked to anyone that has riden one. Is it worth it in this type of board, or does the tipical single fin +/- sideruuners just work better?
Any feedback will be greatly appreciated!

Re: Quad Longboard??? [Re: KC_BRAINS] #1201454
05/08/08 08:07 PM
05/08/08 08:07 PM
R
RaySanchez Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
RaySanchez  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
R

i think you would get much more input/feedback on some of the forums that are only for longboarders. i think majority of the population on here are shortboarders.

Re: Quad Longboard??? [Re: RaySanchez] #1201455
05/08/08 08:18 PM
05/08/08 08:18 PM
LA
E
eoj Offline
Michael Peterson status
eoj  Offline
Michael Peterson status
E

LA

longboard quads work awesome . have a bunch of friends they swear by them, in a good way.

I rip
Re: Quad Longboard??? [Re: KC_BRAINS] #1201456
05/08/08 08:26 PM
05/08/08 08:26 PM
S
stubster Offline
Gerry Lopez status
stubster  Offline
Gerry Lopez status
S

Quote:

i think you would get much more input/feedback on some of the forums that are only for longboarders. i think majority of the population on here are shortboarders.

You should just order one with 5 boxes, so it will be convertible. You can ride it single, 2+1, or as a quad.

You should check out JamBoards - Longboarding Forum

Re: Quad Longboard??? [Re: stubster] #1201457
05/08/08 08:32 PM
05/08/08 08:32 PM
CA
S
stu dog Online content
Duke status
stu dog  Online Content
Duke status
S

CA
Quote:

Quote:

You should just order one with 5 boxes, so it will be convertible. You can ride it single, 2+1, or as a quad.

You should check out JamBoards - Longboarding Forum

or get a 5 fin Griffin longboard

Re: Quad Longboard??? [Re: stubster] #1201458
05/08/08 08:33 PM
05/08/08 08:33 PM
SOCAL
20W-50 and blood Offline
Duke status
20W-50 and blood  Offline
Duke status

SOCAL
hit up shawn ambrose. Ive seen teh quad longbaords he's doing....SICK shit...i think he's got a video of a tema rider ripping it up on one on the ambrose surfbaords website

Re: Quad Longboard??? [Re: KC_BRAINS] #1201459
05/08/08 08:41 PM
05/08/08 08:41 PM
Southern California
P
psylum Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
psylum  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
P

Southern California
Quote:

I am thinking of getting a longboard for the summer and have seen a couple of longboards with quad fin configurations. I just have not talked to anyone that has riden one. Is it worth it in this type of board, or does the tipical single fin +/- sideruuners just work better?
Any feedback will be greatly appreciated!

It really depends on what you're going for. A typical 9' to 9'6" high perf, lighter glassed longboard can be a very versatile ride. I have a 9' Walden popout and that thing can feel like a cruisey glidey boat with a 9" Farberow Flex single or 7" Rainbow Rake single -- pop in the FCS bites and it becomes much turnier and has a lot more bite for steeper stuff. Until I got turned onto some shorter boards -- which I still suck at surfing -- that board was my every day driver in tons of different conditions.

Now... a few weeks ago, some of the guys here turned me onto Wayne Okamoto who is now shaping me a sweeeeeeeeeet 9' high performance longboard with a 5 fin config. He says that i'll dig it mostly as a quad even in the smaller stuff.

Harbour and Infinity (along with every other darn shaper) have been experimenting with quad longboards over the past year or two their riders think they're badass. IMO quads are really fun on longboards in the steeper beach breaky waves. Tons of drive and tracking -- not much different than what they do on the alt shapes.

Re: Quad Longboard??? [Re: KC_BRAINS] #1201460
05/08/08 09:34 PM
05/08/08 09:34 PM
L
Lankameese Offline
Billy Hamilton status
Lankameese  Offline
Billy Hamilton status
L

Griffin 4/5 fin combo
Ambrose quadzillla

these are two that stand out at the moment imo

Skip Hutchison makes radical hi-perf longboards http://www.rastaboard.com/ - only logs I surfed for many years and would own one again - his site is super low key just like him.. don't let it fool you - he does it all, shape, glass, sand, paint, resin swirls, 100% hand made - he can shape it all, but his longboards are a cut above

just lanky
Re: Quad Longboard??? [Re: KC_BRAINS] #1201461
05/09/08 12:19 AM
05/09/08 12:19 AM
Newport
I
importheinekin Offline
Nep status
importheinekin  Offline
Nep status
I

Newport
they're super fun in that quad or 5-fin configuration. I'm waiting on a DK 5-fin longboard...kind of a bonzer setup, 4 side runners and a center box, but i had it made this way so i can put on standard quad fin set ups.

longboards are so big and heavy, having the quad fin really gets them going if you can keep it in the pocket and juice it. I still imagine if you want to do the noseriding and whatnot though, a center fin for stability would be good...but if you're getting a high performance longboard...or a board you want to throw around like a shortboard, I think the quad fin setup would suit it well.

either way, if you get a quad longboard in some juice, that baby will SCREAAAAAAM with speed. I LOVE going fast on longboards. It's like a freighttrain!!!

Re: Quad Longboard??? [Re: importheinekin] #1201462
05/09/08 12:28 AM
05/09/08 12:28 AM
H
HR_ Offline
Gerry Lopez status
HR_  Offline
Gerry Lopez status
H

the best performance longboards i've ridden were infinity's. they were amazing.

the quads they do are sick. they ship to europe too. google their website.

Blogtastic! -- Old Movies, Good Books, and Rap Music : http://growl-matic.blogspot.com
Re: Quad Longboard??? [Re: HR_] #1201463
05/09/08 04:00 AM
05/09/08 04:00 AM
T
TNK Offline
Grom
TNK  Offline
Grom
T

ill second that- Infinity Competitor Model.
Quad longboard

Re: Quad Longboard??? [Re: TNK] #1201464
05/09/08 03:58 PM
05/09/08 03:58 PM
Spain (Asturias)
K
KC_BRAINS Offline OP
Legend (inyourownmind)
KC_BRAINS  Offline OP
Legend (inyourownmind)
K

Spain (Asturias)
Hey thanks for the input! Good idea getting the 5 fin boxes in order to have the versatility. I think I am definitely going to go that way.
As far as all of the great shapers you guys mention who make great boards, I can only say one thing: I wish I could get my hands on any of those crafts. Here in Europe we have very limited good shapers, and getting a board from the US is a pain in the ass and really expensive. I have been behind a Griff 4 fin shortboard (my dream board) for a while and he just has not been able to find a reasonable way to ship here. By the way Greg if you read this you might know who I am, I gave up on checking with you on the shipping because I dont want to be a pain in the ass, but if by a miracle you come up with a way to get me my dream board here please let me know!
Therefore, my best option here is to get this local shaper (excellent glasser), that is very opened minded and primarily likes to experiment with Fish,bonzer and single fins, to work with him to get me something close to what I want. So maybe this is not the best place to ask, but if anyone has any suggestions for the 4+1 fin placement, fin type,bottom ect.. it will be greatly appreciated.
Regards!