REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#991827 - 01/21/07 08:31 AM #7
Bud808 Offline
Gerry Lopez status

Loc: Oahu
#xxxx7 is DONE!

71 x 18 x 2-1/16
Bennett Foam 6'1"R
4+4x4oz glassing
SurfTrux
Sanded to a wet 400

#991828 - 01/21/07 09:36 AM Re: #7 [Re: Bud808]
Kalani.. Offline
Michael Peterson status

Damn Bud, better and better everytime. Looks like it came off the racks at any shop. Awesome.
What are you doing with all of the money you are saving from breaking boards every week? New Car?

#991829 - 01/21/07 09:52 AM Re: #7 [Re: Kalani..]
BassExcellante Offline
Gerry Lopez status

Loc: EAST COAST, FL, MI
what is the fin system,surf trux?
interesting, board looks pretty good all in all

#991830 - 01/21/07 12:39 PM Re: #7 [Re: BassExcellante]
blakestah Offline
Phil Edwards status

Quote:

what is the fin system,surf trux?
interesting, board looks pretty good all in all

SurfTrux is my system...

Click the link below to check it out.

#991831 - 01/21/07 01:38 PM Re: #7 [Re: blakestah]
hallucinogenic_toreador Offline
Phil Edwards status

Loc: socal beachbreak barrels
nice work bud.

can't wait for the surftrux review from somebody that i know rips hard on rail.

if you endorse them over fixed fins, then blakestah's onto something big...

killer looking board...love that single concave!

#991832 - 01/22/07 06:05 AM Re: #7 [Re: Bud808]
Aku Offline
Nep status

Beautiful! That one came out really nice.

#991833 - 01/22/07 06:21 PM Re: #7 [Re: hallucinogenic_toreador]
Heavyfooted Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: Orange County
Looks sweet Bud!

You get it wet yet? How'd those fins work?

#991834 - 01/22/07 07:37 PM Re: #7 [Re: Kalani..]
bobsurf Offline
Tom Curren status

Loc: Blue Oyster Bar
Bud, that's my favorite yet. A very nice outline.

#991835 - 01/24/07 11:01 AM Re: #7 [Re: bobsurf]
Phil Edwards status

Quote:

Bud, that's my favorite yet. A very nice outline.

agree...north shore has been getting bombed by NW swell...hopefully, bud got a chance to take it out on one of the other sides in some nicely groomed manageable wrap.

can't wait for the report.

blakestah--man, i'm still gripping on the waterflow, constantly imagining vector sums across the bottom and cluster!

if your fins do work better, it will probably represent a partial invalidation of some original theories propped by early twin/thruster designers, and will definitely re-set the understanding of factors affecting performance.

some guys from the university of australia did some really cool analyses and mapping of sufboard fins on a very technical level...i've got the pdf and will try to post a link to the original site...may have been related to the fcs development of the new fin designs...not sure.

worth reading if you haven't done so already.

#991836 - 01/24/07 12:09 PM Re: #7 [Re: Bud808]
SlicedFeet Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: Swarm Diego
NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is what I've been waiting for, Surfing Trucks put to the test in the Proving Ground!

Blakestah, mind if I buy some shares of your corp? I'll take Bud's review as the prospectus. BTW, I'm serious on this one.

#991837 - 01/24/07 12:18 PM Re: #7 [Re: SlicedFeet]
Phil Edwards status

Quote:

NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is what I've been waiting for, Surfing Trucks put to the test in the Proving Ground!

Blakestah, mind if I buy some shares of your corp? I'll take Bud's review as the prospectus. BTW, I'm serious on this one.

i was about to say the same! i think i'd want to hear a review that says, in effect: "i'm never riding any other system, ever, period. end of story. send me a couple dozen for future shapes immediately!"

i'll ante-up seed money for production, if i hear shit like that!

#991838 - 01/28/07 05:14 PM Re: #7 [Re: hallucinogenic_toreador]
blakestah Offline
Phil Edwards status

feedback from a long conversation with Bud after a few sessions....

The bottom line: it goes good, but not dramatically better, if better at all, than a board dialed in the way he likes it. For him, nothing special in the way it rode.

The positives he noticed...
There's a noticeable but small speed release in the second half of the turn (other real good thruster riders noticed this as well).
On an overcommitted cutback on which he expected to dig a rail he recovered instead.
He took it vert a bunch of times and pumped for speed down the line a lot and it did what it was supposed to do.

He didn't notice increased speed between turns when going straight, but he is on rail as much as possible. This aspect is really easy to notice if you lay the board flat and coast, but my other competition-style riders didn't notice it either. In fact, he is the most negative of the competition-style testers, but they were all similar. It goes good, possibly slightly better than the norm, but they are not nearly as excited as riders not so dialed into a thruster.

There are a few other things Bud may feel out, like playing with the toe-in (he uses a slightly unusual toe-in for his boards) or trying it with the rail fins fixed to make the direct comparison between fixed and rotating rail fins.

I thank him for his efforts so far and for his direct and honest feedback. Hopefully he will comment if he has anything to add. I am also curious how it will progress, most people like it even more after 15 sessions than after 2, but I expect Bud has other priorities in his shaping/surfing than spending all his time testing out my fin system.

Thanks again, Bud!

#991839 - 01/29/07 11:35 AM Re: #7 [Re: blakestah]
Bud808 Offline
Gerry Lopez status

Loc: Oahu
Excellent summary of my observations/our conversations. Thanks for the follow up, Dave. As I mentioned, I'm terrible at typing and have a hard time laying things out with the keybpard

The system is pretty amazing piece of engineering and is totally logical. But I did not see the eye popping difference in performance that I thought was very likely. Of course I knew that there are so many variables, plenty that I probably screwed by installing myself, that I'd like to see/ride a set professionally installed on a hi perf chip.

After 30 or so waves on it: Bottom line is that the board worked well, and I could feel some definite positives. Especially coming out of misjudged turns where it seemd to give a nice squirt when I expected to bog. No problem going frontside square off the bottom & vert into a blast. I had some issues backside bottom turn/frontside cutbacks but I cannot put a finger on whether fins, or shape or.... unfortunately I made the shape too meaty, especially in the hip/tail. And my backyard amateur install was not exactly to specs either. After some tweaking that Dave has suggested I will give the board some more water time, someplace less intense than Rocky Rights.

#991840 - 01/29/07 01:37 PM Re: #7 [Re: Bud808]
Phil Edwards status

thx to both you guys for the review.

bud, man, whenever you mention spots i used to surf when i lived on oahu, it brings back great memories...man, did i love rocky rights!

#991841 - 01/29/07 04:35 PM Re: #7 [Re: Bud808]
Heavyfooted Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: Orange County
Quote:

my backyard amateur install was not exactly to specs either.

Bud- Do you usually install boxes with less toe than normal (or recommended by Blakestah) so consequently the lack of drag with trucks would be less noticable?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >