REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Pt. Sal #1106234
10/17/07 11:11 PM
10/17/07 11:11 PM
Birdrock
S
Saggy Offline OP
Grom
Saggy  Offline OP
Grom
S

Birdrock
Been doing alot of research on how the hell to get Pt. Sal and can't really find any consistent info. Some hiking blogs talk about Air Force guards not allowing people to get down to the beach but there has to be trails. Don't really have access to a boat so not an option. Does anyone have the skinny on how to get there with out being hassled by the man?? I realize that it may be a spot that people don't want to "explain" access to but.... it's not a spot that is going to get zoo'd anytime soon considering the effort required. Me must surf Pt. Sal!

Re: Pt. Sal [Re: Saggy] #1106235
10/18/07 12:03 AM
10/18/07 12:03 AM
CenCal
B
bazzabro Offline
Grom
bazzabro  Offline
Grom
B

CenCal
The road in washed out years ago, so people would walk/bike in. To the best of my knowledge it was an agreement between Vandenberg AFB and some private land owners to allow people to cross to get to Pt. Sal. After 9/11 it got a little sketchy...not outright banned, but they would come and look at you, or talk to you. There is no way to get to Pt. Sal State Beach without crossing farms/Air Force Property. (unless you boat in). The last I heard there is a TOTAL ban to getting to Pt. Sal (Air Force decision). However, the latest latest is they plan to re-open the access "soon" but nothing yet.

I'm not sure if al qaeda is into beachbreaks and quirky reefs but that was the decision.

From what I hear, It's always talked about in "potential" terms...actual surfs there are good/bad/something in between, never heard of it being consistant or epic...ever.

It's a fairly short clip across from Port San Luis to boat in...but I think you would still get buzzed by the base guys.

Re: Pt. Sal [Re: Saggy] #1106236
10/18/07 01:24 AM
10/18/07 01:24 AM
Toledo, OH
M
MikeZabriski Offline
Nep status
MikeZabriski  Offline
Nep status
M

Toledo, OH
You guys must be new here.

Go Indians!
Re: Pt. Sal [Re: Saggy] #1106237
10/18/07 11:38 AM
10/18/07 11:38 AM
socal beachbreak barrels
H
hallucinogenic_toreador Offline
Phil Edwards status
hallucinogenic_toreador  Offline
Phil Edwards status
H

socal beachbreak barrels
Quote:

Does anyone have the skinny on how to get there with out being hassled by the man??

yes. i grew up in the beautiful riviera style resort town of lompoc.

"...we woke up to perfect lefts, and that was our mission."
Re: Pt. Sal [Re: hallucinogenic_toreador] #1106238
10/18/07 12:39 PM
10/18/07 12:39 PM
done
G
GWS Offline
Duke status
GWS  Offline
Duke status
G

done
Quote:

Quote:

Does anyone have the skinny on how to get there with out being hassled by the man??

Shit howdy son.

How long ago you move out of the trailer?

Re: Pt. Sal [Re: Saggy] #1106239
10/18/07 01:54 PM
10/18/07 01:54 PM
C
Caelho Offline
Michael Peterson status
Caelho  Offline
Michael Peterson status
C

good luck getting to the beach........

Re: Pt. Sal [Re: Caelho] #1106240
10/18/07 02:23 PM
10/18/07 02:23 PM
San Luis Obispo
R
RemyXO Offline
Michael Peterson status
RemyXO  Offline
Michael Peterson status
R

San Luis Obispo
Demmit, when did they put that up? I read in the paper a while back about VAFB not allowing access there anymore, never knew about the signs. That was a fun place to bike in, grueling, uphill, sandy/rutted dirt road the first half, then smooth, steep pavement to the beach.

If the MP's don't get you, the mountain lions will. I was chased out by one once.

Re: Pt. Sal [Re: RemyXO] #1106241
10/18/07 02:50 PM
10/18/07 02:50 PM
C
Caelho Offline
Michael Peterson status
Caelho  Offline
Michael Peterson status
C

just found this:

Quote:

Citing hazards to hikers, the Air Force has permanently restricted access to Point Sal, a move implemented in January to the surprise of state and county officials.

Vandenberg Air Force Base officials said the closure - announced just Wednesday - comes because of extreme safety concerns in the area.

These concerns include steep cliffs and potential landslides due to coastal erosion, the military said in a written statement.

However, both county and state officials say they'll fight the decision.

The California Coastal Commission has expressed concern about cutting off access to Point Sal State Beach, an extremely remote segment of pristine coastline.

As recently as the 1990s, people could drive vehicles most of the way to the coast, taking Highway 1 to Brown Road, then to Point Sal Road, which traveled over Point Sal Ridge to a dirt parking area - a distance of about 7 miles. Point Sal Road passed through Vandenberg AFB, with barbed wire fences and signs banning people from entering the military installation.

But in 1998, El Nio rains washed away huge chunks of road, prompting county officials to close the road to automobiles. In 2001, county officials said fixing the road wouldn't be easy or inexpensive.

Advertisement

Hikers, bikers, horse riders and others still traveled on the sometimes paved, mostly hard-packed county road, with nature lovers thrilling at the peaceful path that led to the picturesque Point Sal beach.

We are aware that there has been a change in access out there and people have been cited for trespassing, said Larry Simon, federal consistency coordinator with the Coastal Commission. The commission takes it very seriously. It's clear to us the public has enjoyed access to Point Sal for quite some time, and this is a change.

Coastal Commission staff members learned of the restrictions weeks after the Air Force implemented them Jan. 1, Simon said.

Santa Barbara County officials also are questioning the Air Force's authority to take the measures.

We're not real sure that's going to be the way it is, because from our research it looks as if that roadway has never been abandoned, said 4th District Supervisor Joni Gray, adding that the county holds the easement that gives the public the right to pass except during launches from North Base.

The county is going to work diligently with the Air Force to get that restriction lifted, Gray said.

The new restrictions aren't obvious at the typical parking area near Brown and Point Sal roads. Instead, hikers won't see the newest closure - with barbed wire fence and sign in place - until the road crosses the Vandenberg property line, Air Force officials said.

Also complicating the issue is that Point Sal is a state beach. The county-owned road goes through Air Force property. However, the county and Bureau of Land Management own some chunks of land in the area, and local people or family trusts also own some parcels.

Some county and state officials said the military also cited security concerns for the closure.

The northern segment of Vandenberg is dotted with underground silos used for unarmed missile tests. More recently, the area has gained two interceptors for the controversial Ground-based Midcourse Defense system, designed to shoot down a limited, long-range attack.

In a response to a query about injuries and incursions, Vandenberg officials said one security forces airman suffered a broken ankle while responding to a trespassing call in mid-July, while a second nearly fell off the cliff near the beach while going to a call in the dark during the early morning hours.

Additionally, security forces airmen removed four people from the beach area during June 2006 and March 2007 Minuteman test launches. Those people were within a launch hazard zone designated to be free of people in case the weapon had to be destroyed.

The Air Force posted signs in the restricted area in January but didn't announce the new policy until Wednesday.

We have put the release out due to a recent increase in trespassing violations as well as injuries sustained by base security personnel while responding to trespassing calls, said Staff Sgt. Raymond Hoy, a base spokesman.

So far, 10 citations have been issued this year, he added.

After receiving complaints, Simon said, Coastal Commission staff visited the site with Air Force members and have urged the military to outline its reason for the new rules and submit a consistency determination request.

Once the military submits the request - expected in early May - Coastal Commission staff would review the package and submit it to the panel to issue a ruling that the restrictions are, or aren't, consistent with the state coastal plan. That process includes public hearings before the full commission.

Public access is the foundation of the Coastal Act. Any time there's a change in public access pattern across property, whether it's public land or private land, we're very concerned about that, Simon said.

The Coastal Commission staff believes a compromise can be developed, he added.

If the commission rules against the access restrictions, both sides would wind up in mediation. Very rarely, the disputes end up in a lawsuit, he said.

Meanwhile, Nipomo resident Bill Deneen is scheduled to lead one of his monthly hikes to Point Sal on Sunday. He said he has a letter from a base commander - who held that title more than 30 years ago - granting him access, as long as he contacts the law enforcement desk and follows other rules.

Point Sal's biggest fan - who's been going there since the 1960s - doesn't necessarily oppose restrictions as he seeks to keep the area untouched.

It is my cathedral. It's just so special there. I never tire of going there. Every time I go I just feel better inside, Deneen said.

Janene Scully can be reached at 739-2214 or janenescully@santamariatimes.com.

April 12, 2007

Re: Pt. Sal [Re: Caelho] #1106242
10/18/07 11:07 PM
10/18/07 11:07 PM
Birdrock
S
Saggy Offline OP
Grom
Saggy  Offline OP
Grom
S

Birdrock
Uhmmmm... This photo says it all. Does seem like a spot that would be fickle pickle. Crap.

Re: Pt. Sal [Re: Saggy] #1106243
10/19/07 11:25 PM
10/19/07 11:25 PM
on the road
M
mc Offline
Miki Dora status
mc  Offline
Miki Dora status
M

on the road

Re: Pt. Sal [Re: GWS] #1106244
10/19/07 11:55 PM
10/19/07 11:55 PM
socal beachbreak barrels
H
hallucinogenic_toreador Offline
Phil Edwards status
hallucinogenic_toreador  Offline
Phil Edwards status
H

socal beachbreak barrels
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Shit howdy son.

How long ago you move out of the trailer?

killer place to be a grom, but by the time i was halfway through high school, i just wanted to escape to sb where all the hot chicks were.

it was a long time ago so i forget the details, but my dad tried to get greater access for surfers to multiple beaches/areas on base, and had a basic certification framework tentatively approved by the base commander at the time, but i think the base commander retired, and so whatever work was done to gain access for surfers at some of the more northern reefs and beaches was in vain, however, restrictions on surfing was relaxed at one beach on base property.

"...we woke up to perfect lefts, and that was our mission."
Re: Pt. Sal [Re: hallucinogenic_toreador] #1106245
10/20/07 06:29 PM
10/20/07 06:29 PM
San Diego, CA
H
HalfFeral Offline
Nep status
HalfFeral  Offline
Nep status
H

San Diego, CA
I surfed in Jalama two weeks ago at T's (I'm so cool, I can use the local's vernacular)

Is Pt. Sal the point to the north of Jalama? the guy I was with was telling me that he knows people who hike up there from Jalama.

Grand Oil Party
Re: Pt. Sal [Re: HalfFeral] #1106246
10/20/07 08:13 PM
10/20/07 08:13 PM
D
dannno Offline
Grom
dannno  Offline
Grom
D

Quote:

Is Pt. Sal the point to the north of Jalama? the guy I was with was telling me that he knows people who hike up there from Jalama.

No

Moderated by  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32