REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
Page 3 of 167 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 166 167 >
View All Topics Index
#1104350 - 10/17/07 05:34 PM Re: The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread
centrlcoastkook Offline
Billy Hamilton status

Had an Xcel front zip 2 years ago. First the neck-hole started cracking and rippping..sent it in to get fixed..2 weeks later my foot went through the neoprene on one of the legs.

Got a BodyGlove Vapor. Awesome suit so far. Warm and seems durable. My only grip is the neck part is sort of restrictive.

(I love that tenover posts to tell us he's trying not to post anymore)

#1104351 - 10/17/07 06:00 PM Re: The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread [Re: rice]
CAtoFLtoCA Offline
Gerry Lopez status

Loc: N. County SD
Quote:

I've had front-zip 4/3 XCEL Infinity's for the past many years, and I like them alright.

4/3? You pussy! Next thing we know, you'll be wearing booties!!!

#1104352 - 10/17/07 06:13 PM Re: The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread [Re: silentbutdeadly]
SurfnBMC Offline
Grom

Loc: SNJ
Wear a Quik 3/2 till the temps dip into the low 50s upper 40s. Go to a RipCurl 5/4/3 elastomax-II w/hood once winter sets in. Xcel boots from 5mm to 7mm, and I picked up some 7mm xcel mittens last winter that keep my hands toasty in February. Surf DelMarVa and NJ, winter water temps drop to the mid 30s with air temps anywhere from 20s to 40s. Thinking Xcel for my next new fullsuit purchase. Like their boots & gloves and hear their fullsuits are very good as well.

Aloha!

#1104353 - 10/17/07 06:21 PM Re: The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread [Re: SurfnBMC]
goldenarmes Offline
Michael Peterson status

ive been using BOZ wetsuits for the last 6 years or so and ive had 2 fullsuits. mine have lasted super long and a are verywarm and flexy. they are inexpensive but very good quality. mine have lasted between 2-3 years.

***disclaimer, i throw my suits in the wash for a rinse after every session and then hang to dry in my shower.***

i have found that not rinsing your suit out and/or leaving it out to dry in the sun are the fastest ways to ruin your wetsuit.

quicksilver was the worst wetsuit ive ever owned by far.

#1104354 - 10/17/07 08:05 PM Re: The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread [Re: SurfnBMC]
humanzee Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Loc: got fog?
Been using a Nineplus 3/2 for 10 months now. I didn't expect much from it since I heard they had zipper failures and you have to 'baby the neoprene'. I'm not so attentive to such niceties.

Anyway I have been very happy with it. It was not expensive. It is warm even in the SF area. No leaks yet but it does flush occasionally down the back in solid surf on duck-dives. It seems to be designed for someone with wider legs/hips/butt area because it used to crawl up my a$$ and get a little bunchy on the shoulders, but this has stopped happening this winter.
hmm, I thought I lost some weight this summer
Another quirk about it is that it was very slippery against the board, which promoted some unneeded kookiness. But this seems to have left also. The rubber does get your wax dirty very quickly.
One of the nicest qualities is that it does not absorb water, which enables it to stay light and dry quickly. I've been pleasantly surprised, so much better than my last Excel but probably get another Hotline to put into the rotation.

#1104355 - 10/17/07 08:17 PM Re: The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread [Re: goldenarmes]
J_P Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: Redondo
Quote:

***disclaimer, i throw my suits in the wash for a rinse after every session and then hang to dry in my shower.***

do you actually run the washer?

for rinsing, i spray the hose into my rubbermaid surf bucket with the suit in there. probably 5 or 6 inches of water and then let it soak a couple hours.

when the sun goes far enough past that i can hang it in my hang up spot and have shade i let it dry. if it's warm, it's nearly dry by the next AM. mornings are getting wetter and chillier by the day.

#1104356 - 10/17/07 08:19 PM Re: The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread [Re: silentbutdeadly]
irreverent_clown Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Loc: Imperial Beach CA
Got a 3/2 psycho 2 that's alright. KInda heavy but warm. Replaced the psycho 1 that was a super bitch to get out of.
Done with o'neill for a while.

Just bought a 2 mil excel full... pretty warm and stretchy.

Trunked it on sunday and plan on trunking it this weekend with the santa ana coming.

Gonna buy a matuse or patagonia next suit.

#1104357 - 10/17/07 08:26 PM Re: The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread [Re: J_P]
goldenarmes Offline
Michael Peterson status

Quote:

Quote:

do you actually run the washer?

for rinsing, i spray the hose into my rubbermaid surf bucket with the suit in there. probably 5 or 6 inches of water and then let it soak a couple hours.

when the sun goes far enough past that i can hang it in my hang up spot and have shade i let it dry. if it's warm, it's nearly dry by the next AM. mornings are getting wetter and chillier by the day.

yeah...i live in a condo and have no "yard so to speak of...so in the wash it goes. no soap of course.

#1104358 - 10/17/07 08:34 PM Re: The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread [Re: goldenarmes]
J_P Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: Redondo
if you're not noticing any discernible increase in wear and tear from the wash cycles, that might be a reasonably good idea.... might mix that in every so often.

#1104359 - 10/17/07 08:42 PM Re: The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread [Re: J_P]
SurfZombie Offline
Tom Curren status

I have a "3/2" (more like a 2/2) Oneill Gooru and a 6/4 Billabong AX2 w/ Hood.

The Gooru is a great suit. Had it for 2 years now, and was leagues better than the suits before (including the Psycho I) imo.

However, it's time for a new suit and Doug's post about the Patagonia warranty has me sold. So I'm gonna give their 2/2 a shot and see how it goes.

Aloha

Bryan

#1104360 - 10/17/07 08:49 PM Re: The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread [Re: goldenarmes]
tdurde12 Offline
Grom

1. Billabong foil 3/2 GBS - worthless wetsuit unless you are living in San Diego, fell apart quickly and leaked. Neoprene actually started cracking and breaking apart from the sun after only 7 months
2. Billabong solution gold 4/3 - amazing wetsuit, very stretchy, but the neoprene is not too durable once again, but I can wear it in the dead of winter at Jalama without booties or hood and still warm, the knee and the ass blew out after 6 months and was replaced with a brand new suit (Billabong has great customer service) You do get a bit of flushing through the back
3. Body Glove formula 3/2 - super flexible, the neoprene is so soft and so thin, it feels like cloth, the seams leaked even when brand new, but the bat wing kept flushing out
4. Body Glove vapor 2/2 - not that impressed for a top of the line suit, sure no leaks, but not that warm, even during the late spring and early fall. felt stiffer than the formula 3/2!
5. Oneill heat 4/3 - hated it, the neoprene is soft, but the fit is awful. Oneill fit models must have giant redwood legs and tiny narrow shoulders. I would get flushing in my legs but the upperbody felt like it was in a straitjacket. I usually wear a L/T for every other company, but for Oneill, I am too small for their L/T and too big for their M/T

#1104361 - 10/17/07 09:28 PM Re: The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread [Re: SurfZombie]
Doug93003 Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: Ventura
Quote:

I have a "3/2" (more like a 2/2) Oneill Gooru and a 6/4 Billabong AX2 w/ Hood.

The Gooru is a great suit. Had it for 2 years now, and was leagues better than the suits before (including the Psycho I) imo.

However, it's time for a new suit and Doug's post about the Patagonia warranty has me sold. So I'm gonna give their 2/2 a shot and see how it goes.

Aloha

Bryan

The 3/2 Gooru is my favorite suit. Most comfortable suit out there. It's only good for about 45 minutes though before you start to get cold in water hwere a 3/2 would normally be fine. I suppose that's why they call it a competition suit.

#1104362 - 10/18/07 08:03 AM Re: The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread [Re: CAtoFLtoCA]
rice Offline
Duke status

Loc: CA
Quote:

Quote:

I've had front-zip 4/3 XCEL Infinity's for the past many years, and I like them alright.

4/3? You pussy! Next thing we know, you'll be wearing booties!!!

Hey, I do wear booties!

#1104363 - 10/18/07 11:38 AM Re: The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread [Re: rice]
dawntwan Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

I'm on my second Oneill Psycho 2 4/3 and I love the thing. A little heavy, but I'm always warm. I use my old one as a backup in the 805 and it keeps me pretty damn warm too, not bad considering it must be at least four years old & has a tear in the calf seam (my bad). The old suit looks like shiz (when bone-dry it's getting that gray look) and I don't surf it that often, but I have to say I'm impressed with how the $$$ high end Oneill holds up.

I used to winter in socal with 3/2s exclusively...but then I got old, and cold. Looking forward to trying one of the thinner Pataguccis someday.

#1104364 - 10/18/07 01:17 PM Re: The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread [Re: dawntwan]
fojo Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Loc: pnw
4/3 Quiksilver + booties, gloves and separate hood (o'neill)

They're fine for 48-55 degree water.

If you're cold you should be catching more waves.

Page 3 of 167 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 166 167 >