REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 173 1 2 3 4 172 173
Re: The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread [Re: silentbutdeadly] #1104334
10/17/07 04:00 PM
10/17/07 04:00 PM
Orange County
H
Heavyfooted Offline
Michael Peterson status
Heavyfooted  Offline
Michael Peterson status
H

Orange County
Anyone wearing the new XCEL chest zip... I think it's called drylock???

Re: The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread [Re: rice] #1104335
10/17/07 04:01 PM
10/17/07 04:01 PM
Ventura, CA
P
pickles Offline
Miki Dora status
pickles  Offline
Miki Dora status
P

Ventura, CA
Quote:

I'm just saying...

Your "cold" my not be anyone else's "cold".

And how you feel in 58 degree water is not the way everyone feels in 58 degree water.

I grew up surfing HMB and santa cruz in a springsuit. Now having spent 10 years in SB and 2 in hawaii, I consider 58 to be verge-of-death freezing, and want some serious protection from the elements.

I like my Oniels. Gooru and Psycho II. They fit nice, are super flexible, and are very warm. So much better than the suits I grew up with its not even funny.

The xcel 4/3 I have has nice materials, but the neck is stretched out so it flushes. Pretty bulky too.

I can get deals on Body Glove suits ... has anybody tried one?

No longer accepting offers to surf for money.
Re: The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread [Re: need 4 speed] #1104336
10/17/07 04:08 PM
10/17/07 04:08 PM
S. Cali , US
R
R_surf Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
R_surf  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
R

S. Cali , US
Last Suit: Oneill Heat 3/2 for LA County, Ventura, and OC. It was my only suit, and worked well. It would flush a little bit. After about 8 months the suit was shot. Water leaking in all over the place, stitching coming undone. I was pretty disapointed. Still have it in case a friend wants to use it and what not. (I couldn't send it into repair because I could not find the damn receipt and the shop was pretty adamant about that)
Current Suit: Hotline Firefly Pro (Couldn't afford the GT at the time ) My first overhead zip suit. It is great. A little heavier, but awesome nonetheless. It does the job, and very little water seeps through, especially compared to the Oneill back zip. I have been using it for about 6 months now, and it is still going strong. The only negatives I can think of is 1. The Key pocket is in an awkward place(just below the right shin), and the stitching around it is coming undone. It also does not have a connector to hook the key onto, and my key actually slipped out one time. (It must have come out of the pocket in the water and then slipped out on shore, cause fortunately I found the key). 2. The zipperless suit is a pain in the arse to take off on cold mornings. The hands are too numb and it takes some time.
Overall. I really like the hotline wetsuit, and I think I am going to try and buy either a 4/3 or the 3/2 GT for the rest of winter to keep me warm. I like the overhead zip, and I don't get any rash from it, like I did with the ONeill if I was out too long. I hope it will last me a couple years, as I hear is the norm of these Hotline suits.

Re: The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread [Re: silentbutdeadly] #1104337
10/17/07 04:26 PM
10/17/07 04:26 PM
V
Voltaire77 Offline
Nep status
Voltaire77  Offline
Nep status
V

What we need is a nice Wetsuit runway show.

Show me one wetsuit review espousing the merits of x,y,z and I'll show you another that completely contradicts it.

Surfers are turning into huge pussies.

Crush the vile thing.
Re: The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread [Re: pickles] #1104338
10/17/07 04:32 PM
10/17/07 04:32 PM
Malibu, CA
H
Hdip Online content
Michael Peterson status
Hdip  Online Content
Michael Peterson status
H

Malibu, CA
Quote:

I can get deals on Body Glove suits ... has anybody tried one?

I have last years body glove. One step below the top of the line which I think is the vapor (reviewed above). It's a warm suit lasted fine since last winter and is still in great shape. I don't like the neck closure on it though. If I surf for a marathon session it gives me a rash. Normal 2 hour sessions are fine though. I'm 6'1" 190 and the large tall fits really nicely but very snug.

It was cheap on whiskeymilitia. Bought it without even trying it on. Before I saw it I was about to have Boz send me a suit up to try one out. Might do that next time.

Re: The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread [Re: Voltaire77] #1104339
10/17/07 04:46 PM
10/17/07 04:46 PM
San Mucous
S
SD_Equus_Asinus Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
SD_Equus_Asinus  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
S

San Mucous
Quote:

What we need is a nice Wetsuit runway show.

I just told waterbaby to get her fashion designer friend to get into the wetsuit biz. We should see the new spring collection showing up in vanity fair by january. The hot new color is tangerine.

Quote:

Surfers are turning into huge pussies.

Word.

I remember surfing 5 years ago in SoCal in a flatlock stitched 3/2 with no booties. It was horrible. I got a little chilly a few times. I almost quit surfing altogether.

-Internet Strength Man OUT!

"My words fly up, my thoughts remain below: Words without thoughts never to heaven go." - W.S.
Re: The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread [Re: SD_Equus_Asinus] #1104340
10/17/07 04:56 PM
10/17/07 04:56 PM
CA
S
stu dog Online content
Duke status
stu dog  Online Content
Duke status
S

CA
upgraded both my 3/2 and 4/3 Xcel's last winter to the Infinity OS back zip from the $200 low end Xcel's. got both for $300 each with a little discount from the shop owner as we went to highschool together. the low ends aren't that good as the slick skin peals off the neck. The OS's ROCK! I'm too big & fat to contort myself into a front zip, but the OS provides a pretty damn mothrfuckin' good seal. like it's been said before the Xcel's material is PLENTY stretchy and softer than anything else on the market so the 4/3 is surprisingly not too restrictive in paddling. During the Jan07 So-Cal cold spell I was perfectly fine in the 4/3, except for my feet which I tried to not wear booties as any water in them throws off my feel. My only complaint with Xcel is their key pocket. On the OS it's placed really low on the back so after a winter dawn patrol session you get REALLY cold pulling off the suit all the way to your ass to reach the key.

Last edited by stu dog; 10/17/07 04:58 PM.
Re: The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread [Re: Heavyfooted] #1104341
10/17/07 05:23 PM
10/17/07 05:23 PM
Redondo
J
J_P Offline
Michael Peterson status
J_P  Offline
Michael Peterson status
J

Redondo
just picked up a couple of the new drylocks. they're 3/2's and i've been fine in my 2/2 BG vapor here in the south bay. probably will use one of them in mexico this weekend.

also going to have a 4/3 phoenix from hotline to try out.

the drylocks are an upgrade from a 2yo psycho 2. way too heavy IMO. warm, but it always felt more like a 4/3.

jp

Re: The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread [Re: stu dog] #1104342
10/17/07 05:26 PM
Tower 13
S
silentbutdeadly Offline OP
Duke status
silentbutdeadly  Offline OP
Duke status
S

Tower 13
My excel was the most comfy suit I had. Too bad it fell apart.

"The size / dimensions don't matter. What does matter is that it's flammable. Because you should set it on fire and get a real surfboard" Witchipoo
Re: The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread [Re: J_P] #1104343
Ventura
D
Doug93003 Offline
Michael Peterson status
Doug93003  Offline
Michael Peterson status
D

Ventura
Those drylocks are sweet. I put one next to a Hotline Phoenix and was amazed at how much more flexible it was.

I've been told many times on this BB that fins drag so i am no longer using them. -Greg Griffin
Re: The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread [Re: stu dog] #1104344
10/17/07 05:32 PM
10/17/07 05:32 PM
CA
R
rice Offline
Duke status
rice  Offline
Duke status
R

CA
I've had front-zip 4/3 XCEL Infinity's for the past many years, and I like them alright. They fit me well, they're super flexy an warm and they last me almost 2 years (though my current suit is TRASHED).

Cons include the "under neck" (the neck hole you climb into, not the one that you stretch over your head) often rips or frays. Also, the tape starts to unravel pretty damn early, but I'm not sure if the tape really does anything much, anyway.

I looked at the new XCEL Drylocks and other than the fancy angled head/neck gusset and zipper, the main difference is that instead of just having the orange polypro material in the torso area of the suit (like in the regular Infinity's), the polypro material is pretty much on the interior of the entire suit. The kid at the shop swore this makes it way warmer, but who knows.

I'm going to check out the Patagonia front-zip's next month, and then will either by one of those or another XCEL Infinity, possibly the Drylock.

And, don't listen to anything that tenover says.

Re: The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread [Re: rice] #1104345
10/17/07 05:48 PM
10/17/07 05:48 PM
NY
E
East_Coaster Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
East_Coaster  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
E

NY
2/2- Body glove Matrix long leg short sleeve 3 years running and still in good shape. Couple of holes that were caused by me but thats it. Stretchy enough but then again its a 2/2. Some neck rash on longer sessions if I dont use the belly jelly. Looking to replace it next year with the Vapor.

3/2 - I have a Xcel infiniti chest zip and a Billabong Solution Platinum. First the Xcel, Super warm super flexy never and problems with flushing or rash
holding up well into the second year.
Billabong solution Platinum- awesome, super flexy, super warm suit. No rash or flushing only problem for me is there is a little to much lenght in the torso area when sitting on my board which ends up holding water till I am up and riding. Im 5'11" #168.

Xcel infiniti winter suit 5/4/3 All I can say is Best winter suit by far for me and I have tried alot. Upper 30's low 40's water temps no problem

Re: The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread [Re: Doug93003] #1104346
10/17/07 05:56 PM
10/17/07 05:56 PM
Spain (Asturias)
K
KC_BRAINS Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
KC_BRAINS  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
K

Spain (Asturias)
Well for some reason I have really bad luck with wetsuit. In the last years I have gone thru a couple.
First: Rip Curl F-Bomb 3/2 Chest Zip
Only lasted about a month. Liquid seal started coming apart.Constant flushes through the neck with duckdives and going over the falls. In my case it was horrible.
Second: Oneill Psycho2 3/2
Is still alive, but starting to show signs of decay after 6 months. Threas unraveling on the ankles, wrists and neck. I get water flushes when duckdiving. I try strangle myself with the next velcro but pretty much doesnt work. Besides all that I really like the suit. Very confy and flexible.
Third: Oneill Gooru 3/2 Short Sleve
Well this one was very flexible and confortable but seens it was not sealed it got water thru the seams very easily. Really did not get much time to try since it got stolen half way through the summer. Damm Bastard (Well I piss on them like crazy).
Fourth: Xcel Infinity 4/3
This is the most recent one. I have used it about six times and it is really warm. Actually at this time of year I overheat with it. It is very strechy. Really like it, but I am a little concern that the neck seal is going to strech over time and I am going to get flushes constantly.
Fifth Quicksilver Cell 4/3
Not sure what Cell number it is (3,5,6) I got over internet new with tags but god knows how old. This suit has a very shitty neck seal (very simple, like in cheap wetsuit),but suprisingly is the one that flushes the least. It is super rigid and it hard to paddle with. I have it as a second option for days when the other 4/3 is still wet.

Well as you can all see I pretty much hate all wetsuits I have own. Not sure if its my fault or the wetsuits. Hopefully some day I find a wetsuit that I love. Wish I could get my hands on a Patagonia,but there is currently no distribution for them here in Europe. If I dont find love with a wetsuit soon I am going to have to move to the tropics

Re: The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread [Re: KC_BRAINS] #1104347
10/17/07 05:58 PM
10/17/07 05:58 PM
CA
R
rice Offline
Duke status
rice  Offline
Duke status
R

CA
Oh, and I ALWAYS rinse my suit out, and hang it up.

Re: The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread [Re: rice] #1104348
10/17/07 06:16 PM
10/17/07 06:16 PM
C
Caelho Offline
Michael Peterson status
Caelho  Offline
Michael Peterson status
C

don't know if this has been posted before but it has some reviews from customers who have the patagonia suit, from the blog 70%:

patagonia

Page 2 of 173 1 2 3 4 172 173