REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
Page 164 of 168 < 1 2 ... 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 >
View All Topics Index
#2882728 - 12/03/18 07:56 PM Re: The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread [Re: silentbutdeadly]
20W-50 and blood Offline
Duke status

Loc: SOCAL
wore my all 2 mill comp full xcel the other morning for an hour in the dark and wind....and F*(#*&(# it was too damn hot

#2882731 - 12/03/18 08:14 PM Re: The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread [Re: silentbutdeadly]
obslop Offline
Phil Edwards status

Loc: san diego, CA
picked up a 3/2 quicksilver highline plus on sale. nice suit. flexible and warm.
Just a man and his will to survive

#2882774 - 12/04/18 02:12 AM Re: The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread [Re: jkb]
potomus Offline
Grom

Loc: on a leash
Originally Posted By: jkb
Originally Posted By: potomus
Originally Posted By: gbarsby3
Isurus 222 zipperless

Everyone should have one, its the best wetsuit ever made:

https://www.surfisurus.com/shop/shield-2-2-zipfree-wetsuit-2019/

According to their website, the recommended temperature range for that suit is 55-65. That sounds pretty optimistic for a 2mil. I'm curious if any non-Polar Bear types wear it in water that cold.

I'm heading to the store today if I can wear it in water even close to 55.

You're right. It is optimistic. I owned a 232 and although it was a very good quality, durable suit, it did not keep me warm enough in the recommended temperature range they quote. In fact, it felt like there wasn't any 3mm in the suit at all. More of a 2mm all the way through. I made it down to 58 or so when it was warm and sunny out, but couldn't go any lower than that. The wind wen't right through it as well.

If I get another one, I would go 4/3 and use it as a 3/2.

Thanks for the reality check cheers

#2882962 - 12/04/18 03:19 PM Re: The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread [Re: potomus]
jkb Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: Oceansuck
Isurus 222 zipperless

According to their website, the recommended temperature range for that suit is 55-65. That sounds pretty optimistic for a 2mil. I'm curious if any non-Polar Bear types wear it in water that cold.

You're right. It is optimistic. I owned a 232 and although it was a very good quality, durable suit, it did not keep me warm enough in the recommended temperature range they quote. In fact, it felt like there wasn't any 3mm in the suit at all. More of a 2mm all the way through. I made it down to 58 or so when it was warm and sunny out, but couldn't go any lower than that. The wind wen't right through it as well.

Everyone is different, so I'm just sharing my experience. But if you're slim and don't have a lot of natural insulation then a suit with a fuzzy liner and smoothskin will treat you well.....especially if you dawn patrol or surf in areas with some wind.

What JDJ said above is spot on. Be wary of the unlined comp suit with no smoothskin. They have a time and place, but they're not the best insulators. When a suit does have a really good liner, smoothskin, quality seams, and quality rubber you can sometimes get away with a thinner suit. For example, I used to always wear a 4/3 Rip Curl/Xcel/Oniell to dawn patrol Southern California winters. Now I wear a 3/2 almost all winter because I bought a good Japanese built suit, not just a suit that uses Japanese neoprene (which there are different levels of quality as well).

#2883144 - 12/04/18 10:31 PM Re: The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread [Re: mundus]
bluengreen Offline
Grom

Loc: SF x Encinitas
Originally Posted By: mundus
Anybody try the new xcel drylock x, need a new 5 mil and considering spending the money.

Don't know about the new one, but I got a deal on last season's Xcel Drylock X 4/3 and it's considerably warmer than my O'Neil Pscychotech 4/3, which makes it the warmest 4/3 I've worn. Also, doesn't flush AT ALL.

Edited by bluengreen (12/04/18 10:34 PM)

#2883191 - 12/05/18 02:20 AM Re: The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread [Re: jkb]
potomus Offline
Grom

Loc: on a leash
Isurus 222 zipperless

Everyone is different, so I'm just sharing my experience. But if you're slim and don't have a lot of natural insulation then a suit with a fuzzy liner and smoothskin will treat you well.....especially if you dawn patrol or surf in areas with some wind.

What JDJ said above is spot on. Be wary of the unlined comp suit with no smoothskin. They have a time and place, but they're not the best insulators. When a suit does have a really good liner, smoothskin, quality seams, and quality rubber you can sometimes get away with a thinner suit. For example, I used to always wear a 4/3 Rip Curl/Xcel/Oniell to dawn patrol Southern California winters. Now I wear a 3/2 almost all winter because I bought a good Japanese built suit, not just a suit that uses Japanese neoprene (which there are different levels of quality as well).

Your tolerance doesn't sound much different than mine. I'm in a 4/3 at around 57/58 degrees. So I'm going to assume that the highest wetsuit tech currently available still isn't going to get me through winter in a 2mil. But, I'm still hopeful that there is a 3/2 that might. My local rarely get below 57 so a 3/2 with just a bit more low end that could keep my 4/3 in the closet permanently would be amazing.

#2883396 - 12/05/18 01:24 PM Re: The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread [Re: potomus]
jkb Offline
Miki Dora status

Your tolerance doesn't sound much different than mine. I'm in a 4/3 at around 57/58 degrees. So I'm going to assume that the highest wetsuit tech currently available still isn't going to get me through winter in a 2mil. But, I'm still hopeful that there is a 3/2 that might. My local rarely get below 57 so a 3/2 with just a bit more low end that could keep my 4/3 in the closet permanently would be amazing.

If you're ok with spending a little more money, try a Japanese suit. You can get away with a 3/2 in 57/58 degree water no problem. Add booties and a hood on the coldest days and you'll be able to keep the 4/3 in the closet.

#2883403 - 12/05/18 01:34 PM Re: The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread [Re: silentbutdeadly]
tedshred5 Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Loc: SD
I think the reality is, the more flexible the neoprene is, the more you sacrifice some warmth and vice-versa. My fall/winter rotation is between a 4/3 Xcel Infiniti Comp and ONeill Hyperfreak Comp, both without smoothskin, and the Xcel is noticeably warmer, but moderately less flexible. The Hyperfreak is so flexible wearing it feels like surfing naked. Smoothie skin and taped seams are obviously gonna add warmth.

#2883433 - 12/05/18 02:29 PM Re: The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread [Re: tedshred5]
Driftcoast Offline
Michael Peterson status

Originally Posted By: tedshred5
I think the reality is, the more flexible the neoprene is, the more you sacrifice some warmth and vice-versa.

+1

#2883444 - 12/05/18 02:53 PM Re: The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread [Re: silentbutdeadly]
daave Offline
Nep status

My no-BS guide to wetsuits. I've had a lot and lived in both southern CA and the northeast. I don't think its too complicated:

unlined/untaped/no smoothie = stretchiest/lightest/coldest
lined/no smoothie = warm as long as its not windy (little heavier/soaks some water and not as stretchy). Probably best all around for so-cal.
lined/smoothie = warmest/best in wind. Smoothie (with the exception of real japanese suits) is not stretchy and can break down. Still the best for real cold water suits (northeast, arctic etc).

Real Japanese suits are the best - and I would say worth the price tag. Other companies claim japanese rubber and charge premium prices but the suits are nowhere near as good. The "normal" brands are making really good suits now - just buy at the end of the year and expect to replace fairly regularly.

#2883591 - 12/05/18 07:13 PM Re: The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread [Re: silentbutdeadly]
SixtyGrit Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Loc: SD
I created a separate thread for my Xcel Drylock X 3/2

#2883619 - 12/05/18 08:28 PM Re: The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread [Re: jkb]
Oeste858 Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Loc: San Diego, CA

If you're ok with spending a little more money, try a Japanese suit. You can get away with a 3/2 in 57/58 degree water no problem. Add booties and a hood on the coldest days and you'll be able to keep the 4/3 in the closet.

What did you go with? Axxe? BeWet? last winter, I spent more than I ever had on a RC Flashbomb+, and was shocked at how much better it is than any suit I had before: flexible, warm, comfy, dries fast. Now that I am spoiled, I think a custom Axxe might be the next step. Curious to hear any recommendations.

#2883927 - 12/06/18 12:45 PM Re: The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread [Re: Oeste858]
jkb Offline
Miki Dora status

Originally Posted By: Oeste858

What did you go with? Axxe? BeWet? last winter, I spent more than I ever had on a RC Flashbomb+, and was shocked at how much better it is than any suit I had before: flexible, warm, comfy, dries fast. Now that I am spoiled, I think a custom Axxe might be the next step. Curious to hear any recommendations.

I've never tried an Axxe. Those are really expensive ($900 or so).

The only Japanese brand I've tried is Cyber Wetsuits. They have a rep in Capo Beach that you can order from (cyberwetsuits@gmail.com). They have 2 different lines they offer, a wetsuit for the US market and one for the Japanese market. The suits on the Japan site look really nice, but unfortunately I don't think we can get those over here. I think they are really expensive, but it might be worth asking the rep about if you really like one. Disregard the wetsuits they show on the US website because their suits look terrible there. My suit looks just like this one:

They have both stock and custom sized suits available......as well as features you can specify. You can choose the kind of liner you want, from minimal and lighter to a full liner that is warmer but heavier. You can also choose where you want the liner to be. You can add smoothskin wherever you like, seam taping, chest or back zip, or no zip at all, neoprene color, ect.... I get a stock size because it fits me really well and ask them to pull in the arm and leg cuffs a tad.

These come in close to $600, so not much more expensive than a top of the line US brand suit.

#2883939 - 12/06/18 12:57 PM Re: The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread [Re: silentbutdeadly]
Havoc4k Offline
Gerry Lopez status

Loc: in da hood next to paradise
how r this seasons xcel drylock?

I think Tomo is with firewire for more than just money. He helped them developed the LFT tech. I think he sincerely believes in the tech -deforest

I think the USA "made in america" board builders "marketing" gimmick falls more inline with a cult than the firewire following -deforest

#2883940 - 12/06/18 12:58 PM Re: The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread [Re: silentbutdeadly]
Havoc4k Offline
Gerry Lopez status

Loc: in da hood next to paradise
btwvalways wanted a cyber. too rich for my blood. used to get future wetsuits japanese custom back in the day

I think Tomo is with firewire for more than just money. He helped them developed the LFT tech. I think he sincerely believes in the tech -deforest

I think the USA "made in america" board builders "marketing" gimmick falls more inline with a cult than the firewire following -deforest

Page 164 of 168 < 1 2 ... 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 >