REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
Page 1 of 167 1 2 3 ... 166 167 >
View All Topics Index
#1104319 - 10/17/07 09:23 AM The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread
silentbutdeadly Online   content
Duke status

Loc: Tower 13
The Patagonia thread got me thinking about doing an unbiased wetsuit thread. We have a lot of surfers on here that are in the water several times a week and I know there are many different brands being worn. If anyone has any suggestions for how it should be structured then feel free to chime in. If you think it's stupid, then just ignore!

I have three new suits for this winter:

Hurley Freedom 3/2 Back zip
3/2 Psycho II (brand new from warranty return)
Quiksilver Ignite 4/3.

I've only worn the hurley so far for about 8 sessions and here is my critique so far:

Comfy fast drying suit (dries faster than any suit I've owned). No leaks so far but I don't think it's quite as warm as my previous oneil's. Time will tell when the water cools down to winter temps. The YKK zipper lets zero water in and I rarely get water in through the neck on duck dives. Since the zipper has the water proof panel it is kind of stiff and you can feel it bind at times, especially when you first put it on. Not enough to really bother me, but just something I noticed. So far so good with this suit.

Post your wetsuit critiques here throughout the season... maybe this can be kind of like the 2007 surf journal?

#1104320 - 10/17/07 09:40 AM Re: The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread [Re: silentbutdeadly]
rice Offline
Duke status

Loc: CA
There should be a disclaimer acknowledging the fact that you are a guy who wears booties in San Diego.

#1104321 - 10/17/07 09:46 AM Re: The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread [Re: rice]
20W-50 and blood Offline
Duke status

Loc: SOCAL

#1104322 - 10/17/07 09:47 AM Re: The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread [Re: rice]
silentbutdeadly Online   content
Duke status

Loc: Tower 13
Dic!

There were two guys with hoods on this morning and I'm not kidding.

#1104323 - 10/17/07 09:51 AM Re: The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread [Re: silentbutdeadly]
rice Offline
Duke status

I'm just saying...

Your "cold" my not be anyone else's "cold".

#1104324 - 10/17/07 09:52 AM Re: The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread [Re: silentbutdeadly]
tenover Offline
Kelly Slater status

Loc: Point Loma, CA
I would post a review, but there's no point. You just get a bunch of dickheads who like to tear apart whatever you say, or tell you that your wrong, or this and that. I like my new suit. There, that's it. Have fun. I'm making an effort to not post on this forum anymore.

#1104325 - 10/17/07 09:59 AM Re: The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread [Re: tenover]
rice Offline
Duke status

Quote:

tear apart

It's tearing apart already? How long have you had that suit? Patagonia, right?

You're wrong.

#1104326 - 10/17/07 10:14 AM Re: The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread [Re: rice]
Troyus Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Quote:

Quote:

tear apart

It's tearing apart already? How long have you had that suit? Patagonia, right?

You're wrong.

#1104327 - 10/17/07 10:26 AM Re: The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread [Re: silentbutdeadly]
importheinekin Offline
Nep status

Loc: Newport
regardless, I will post up some info.

I'm still wearing the 06/07 Psycho 2.

The Cons: heavy suit (biggest gripe), hard to get off, stitching on the ankle cuff and wrist cuff can unravel or blow out easily. (for example, if you tuck your leash under, the velcro will snag it, or for those who wear booties I imagine the same thing will happen)

It might feel a bit stiff when dry, but once you're in the water, even with the double fluid seam weld, it's a really stretchy and comfortable suit. More so than a Xcel Infinity I owned (stretchy, but the warms weren't big enough in diameter for me, so it felt constricting...if you have smaller arms I'm sure it'd be fantastic)

Pros: been durable...2nd season with it (well, the 2nd season just started but it didn't get all crispy or sh*tty in the summer). pretty damn toasty, my body is pretty damn dry...not much water gets in thru the neck, the glideskin on neck never gives me a rash.

Quik Cell HFT: really warm suit, comfortable fit, fell apart on me rather QUIKly. I have a S/S Full by them that's comfortable, but that too is coming apart at seams and such. I really like theyre Hyperstretch tho, it's pretty light. I just wish the suits themselves didn't fall apart.

#1104328 - 10/17/07 10:45 AM Re: The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread [Re: importheinekin]
swegin Offline
Gerry Lopez status

Loc: carolina
I got a 4/3 O'neill off the internet a couple of years ago. Whiskey Militia. Built in hood. I live in San Diego. I'm burning up in the thing. So then I get the cheapest O'neill 3/2 off the internet. Paid about 80 bucks for it. No tape or any seal on the seams at all. Cold water just leaks right in. But it's thin and comfortable. So I go down the hill in December for what turns out to be the best day of the winter. I paddle out, telling myself I'm just going to charge into the first good wave I'm in position for. I'm undergunned. I stroke into this sucking up left and pretty much free fell to the bottom. I eat it and get sucked up and over, my shitty wetsuit unzipping completely and filling up with water. I'm down on the sandbar, drowning, my wetsuit ballooning and holding me down like a sea anchor. I struggle to the top, hyperventilating, and take the next 10' face on the head. Back down to the sandbar, rolling, my exposed skin freezing. Back up, gasping for air, wondering if I should cry out for help. I'm a grey-haired old-guy surfer victim, waiting to drown. I get the board under me in time to be blasted by another inside barreling left. I wash in far enough to get on my board and start paddling. I drag myself up on the beach, shivering.
That cheap ass wetsuit almost drowned me.

#1104329 - 10/17/07 10:50 AM Re: The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread [Re: importheinekin]
Bakala Offline
Grom

Loc: None of your business
Body Glove low end shorty: Bought it at Dick's for 40 bucks and its lasted 3 summers. Flexible best deal ever

Rip Curl e-bomb 3/2: Most flexible suit I ever had. Light. Only used 1yr but holding up well. Definately lose the batwing!! Key pouch in the thigh rules.

Quicksilver 4/3 hooded cell chest zip: Picked up 3yrs ago for 100bucks. Holding up with just a little fraying. Warm as hell down to the high 40's. Flexible enough.

Psycho 2 6/4 back zip hooded: Flexible as the 4/3 quicksilver. Toasty even in the 30's. True a little heavy but the warmest suit I ever had. No fraying or anything after 2yrs.

#1104330 - 10/17/07 10:57 AM Re: The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread [Re: swegin]
rice Offline
Duke status

Quote:

I got a 4/3 O'neill...Built in hood. I live in San Diego. I'm burning up in the thing.

So then I get the cheapest O'neill 3/2 off the internet. Paid about 80 bucks for it. No tape or any seal on the seams at all. Cold water just leaks right in.

I don't get it. Are you bipolar?

#1104331 - 10/17/07 11:24 AM Re: The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread [Re: silentbutdeadly]
patrolman Offline
Miki Dora status

Rip Curl E Bomb front zip 3/2

I bought it because if seemed the softest and stretchiest and because the sales guy said, "No more water down the back."

Now I get water down the front! Especially on front side crash tubes (I'm regular foot). Not cool. They need to put a velcro closure on the flap or something. I'm thinking of doing it myself. How can you attach velcro to nylon without a sewing machine?

#1104332 - 10/17/07 11:31 AM Re: The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread [Re: rice]
eoj Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: LA
3/2 E-Bomb well made super super flexable, hate the key pocket in the knee area can't get that little zipper to work there's a wax comb in there that i can't get to.
does flush down the neck a bit, second season with it and it still feels new , really nice soft rubber, could be warmer when it's off shore. i'd get another one . but i think i'd get the chest entry.
good suit !
anyone wearing the vapor from bodyglove?

#1104333 - 10/17/07 11:54 AM Re: The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread [Re: eoj]
need 4 speed Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: SoCal
I'm using the 3/2 Vapor.I think this might be the thrid winter(can't really remember)Good suit,warm and dry.Seems to be holding up well

Page 1 of 167 1 2 3 ... 166 167 >