REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Soft Tops - Just me??? [Re: glowplug] #2982190
07/16/19 05:30 AM
07/16/19 05:30 AM
Malibu, CA
H
Hdip Offline
Michael Peterson status
Hdip  Offline
Michael Peterson status
H

Malibu, CA
I saw Steph Gilmore out on an 88 soft top a couple days last summer in Malibu. It didn't help her surfing, but she didn't look bad on it either.

Re: Soft Tops - Just me??? [Re: glowplug] #2982230
07/16/19 10:38 AM
07/16/19 10:38 AM
West of the Atlantic. East of...
G
GromsDad Offline
Duke status
GromsDad  Offline
Duke status
G

Watched an occasional QS surfer last week doing air reverses on a 5'0 Stump into stomach high shorebreak sections right onto the sand. Sure looked like he was having fun. Doubt he would have been attempting the things he was doing if he were on a hardboard.

What's the difference between conservatives and liberals?

Conservatives get angry when you lie to them. Liberals get angry when you tell
them the truth.
Re: Soft Tops - Just me??? [Re: 92122] #2982241
07/16/19 11:18 AM
07/16/19 11:18 AM
Your mom�s house
D
Duffy Offline
Kelly Slater status
Duffy  Offline
Kelly Slater status
D

Your mom�s house
Originally Posted by 92122
The thing I dislike is that Wavestorms in particular seem to perpetuate cheap throw away surfboards.

I bought my first Wavestorm the second year costco was selling them. How long ago was that? 12 years? 14? I still have it. No other surfboard has lasted that long for me. I bought another one 4 years ago and still have that too.

P/U boards are throw aways and they aren’t cheap.

Think about how many boards that an environmentalist stalwart like Kelly slater burn through every year...

Last edited by Duffy; 07/16/19 11:29 AM.

�No eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn�

- The Wasp
Re: Soft Tops - Just me??? [Re: glowplug] #2982243
07/16/19 11:27 AM
07/16/19 11:27 AM
Your mom�s house
D
Duffy Offline
Kelly Slater status
Duffy  Offline
Kelly Slater status
D

Your mom�s house
Originally Posted by glowplug
Duffy - Valid point! seriously.

It just bothers me as I see how hard it is for shapers/board makers to make it in today's surf culture/market with all the pressure from the "pop-outs" made overseas and mega brands like CI or Lost. Then I see a group of 5 early 20's guys on bikes ride past my house and I see every single one of them on soft tops.

It's something that I don't understand so I cast judgment. I don't understand the desire (other than maybe safety and costs) of why someone would choose these boards when for what it sounds like from above you could get a custom shape for a fraction more.

I guess I'd rather see a group of 20 year olds on a variety of shapes that had a lot more to offer (shaper, shape, colors, glass work, fins, etc) than an enlarged JOB boogie board.

But..... variety is the spice of life right and everyone has a perspective that they feel is right.

And to answer your question - I definitely say something about it in the lineup and out. I've had discussions with LONG time players about SUPs out at Sunset. I've waited in the parking lot for a guy who was burning everyone and calling everyone "donkeys" and "bitch made". I could go on....

We gone over this before and I’ve asked this question before but I don’t recall ever getting an answer. With the amount of people surfing these days has the numbers of “regular” (shaper made) surfboards decreased? Probably not.

Another issue with board makers is that many of them have atrocious customer service. What other industry sells a product at that price point who consistently takes weeks longer than promised, often makes something other than what’s agreed upon and gets shitty with a costumer who asks why?

The 20 years olds with soft tops have no interest in and wouldn’t even know where to start getting a custom.

Wavestorms are $100.

Another thing you may not know is that guy who has a Wavestorm might also have 25 other boards in his garage that are traditionally shaped (like me).

As CI “pop-outs”.

Channel Islands is my local shaper and the boards are made in Carpinteria CA.

�No eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn�

- The Wasp
Re: Soft Tops - Just me??? [Re: glowplug] #2982280
07/16/19 01:25 PM
07/16/19 01:25 PM
G
GromsDad Offline
Duke status
GromsDad  Offline
Duke status
G

Duff: I order a few custom HP shortboards each year from one of the top brands out there and at the end of the day, other than the lighter glass job and a little color they are the same as the boards on the rack. They are just computer files at this point.

What's the difference between conservatives and liberals?

Conservatives get angry when you lie to them. Liberals get angry when you tell
them the truth.
Re: Soft Tops - Just me??? [Re: Duffy] #2982393
07/16/19 03:54 PM
07/16/19 03:54 PM
cold
T
trevorbc Offline
Michael Peterson status
trevorbc  Offline
Michael Peterson status
T

cold
Originally Posted by Duffy
Originally Posted by 92122
The thing I dislike is that Wavestorms in particular seem to perpetuate cheap throw away surfboards.

I bought my first Wavestorm the second year costco was selling them. How long ago was that? 12 years? 14? I still have it. No other surfboard has lasted that long for me. I bought another one 4 years ago and still have that too.

P/U boards are throw aways and they aren’t cheap.

Think about how many boards that an environmentalist stalwart like Kelly slater burn through every year...

My surf shop branded soft top has lasted longer than any of my other boards.

Consider this: people that can surf that ride them when the conditions are right should not be an issue. Re: the kooks, wouldn't you rather they were on something less dangerous than a pointy nosed shortboard?

Re: Soft Tops - Just me??? [Re: glowplug] #2982434
07/16/19 04:36 PM
07/16/19 04:36 PM
California/Hawaii
M
Muscles Offline
Nep status
Muscles  Offline
Nep status
M

California/Hawaii
Kalani and JOB ride them because they get paid to ride them. Let's not be ridiculous and think otherwise. I'd ride one too if I was paid for it.

Re: Soft Tops - Just me??? [Re: Muscles] #2982477
07/16/19 05:25 PM
07/16/19 05:25 PM
R
rts265 Offline
Miki Dora status
rts265  Offline
Miki Dora status
R

Originally Posted by Muscles
Kalani and JOB ride them because they get paid to ride them. Let's not be ridiculous and think otherwise. I'd ride one too if I was paid for it.

right, and it's the marketing that says its ok to go out and burn people. thats what JOB does all the time on Who Is JOB

Kalani and friends do it too in all the youtube videos

so some kook buys a softtop, starts ruining peoples day, and says its all cool bro were just having fun

it's summer, it's kook eat kook right now.

Re: Soft Tops - Just me??? [Re: GromsDad] #2982564
07/16/19 07:19 PM
07/16/19 07:19 PM
Honolulu, Hawaii
R
Racer1 Offline
Phil Edwards status
Racer1  Offline
Phil Edwards status
R

Honolulu, Hawaii
Originally Posted by GromsDad
Originally Posted by Aruka
Soft tops without a doubt have a time and a place. I think it's kinda stupid to ride one at a good wave though. With all the great boards available it seems like a disservice to yourself to ride one in anything decent if you are anything above a beginner. That said, for messing around in marginal surf, playing with the kids, etc. and so on they are perfect. Any excuse to get wet.

I have yet to witness one of these elusive soft top rippers that I keep hearing about.

You know who Kalani Robb is?

Every time I see Kalani Robb on a soft top I see someone struggling. Have you seen the guy on a good shortboard before?

Also, Kalani Robb is the only guy I've seen jump from one yoga ball to another. So bringing him up is bringing up a balancing super human.

Re: Soft Tops - Just me??? [Re: glowplug] #2982566
07/16/19 07:27 PM
07/16/19 07:27 PM
Honolulu, Hawaii
R
Racer1 Offline
Phil Edwards status
Racer1  Offline
Phil Edwards status
R

Honolulu, Hawaii
I don't really care what people ride, as long as they aren't over volumed and catching all the sets, but I don't understand riding a softie when the waves are good. I mean is there anything more boring than popping up on a softie on a good wave and bogging a section and throwing no spray? That's what I always see.

That long haired kid that launches giant airs is pretty cool, but I don't see anybody but him doing that.

Re: Soft Tops - Just me??? [Re: glowplug] #2982568
07/16/19 07:35 PM
07/16/19 07:35 PM
W
Waterlogged05 Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
Waterlogged05  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
W

Blair Conklin, the pro skimboarder I think

Rumour is that Slater has a full-size tattoo of himself over his entire body
Re: Soft Tops - Just me??? [Re: Racer1] #2982585
07/16/19 08:31 PM
07/16/19 08:31 PM
Tuna Town/Baja
G
grg Offline
Miki Dora status
grg  Offline
Miki Dora status
G

Tuna Town/Baja
Originally Posted by Racer1
That long haired kid that launches giant airs is pretty cool, but I don't see anybody but him doing that.

Blair Conklin?

Re: Soft Tops - Just me??? [Re: Racer1] #2982665
07/16/19 10:05 PM
07/16/19 10:05 PM
California/Hawaii
M
Muscles Offline
Nep status
Muscles  Offline
Nep status
M

California/Hawaii
I don't really care what people ride, as long as they aren't over volumed and catching all the sets, but I don't understand riding a softie when the waves are good. I mean is there anything more boring than popping up on a softie on a good wave and bogging a section and throwing no spray? That's what I always see.

That's my issue with them.

My local is filled with transplant dip shits on wavestroms (it's a military base). They sit far out and shoulder hop on their high volume board because they're too scared to take off under the lip. Then they yell at you when you take off deeper and call them off the wave. These people wouldn't have taken up surfing if the board wasn't the $99 special they saw while shopping at Costco. Some of them are Officers and intentionally burn people because they know they can pull rank if someone gets pissed at them.

Last edited by Muscles; 07/16/19 10:09 PM.
Re: Soft Tops - Just me??? [Re: grg] #2982781
07/17/19 01:03 AM
07/17/19 01:03 AM
Honolulu, Hawaii
R
Racer1 Offline
Phil Edwards status
Racer1  Offline
Phil Edwards status
R

Honolulu, Hawaii
Originally Posted by grg

Blair Conklin?

He's the only one that I've seen and thought he made them look fun.

Re: Soft Tops - Just me??? [Re: glowplug] #2982783
07/17/19 01:08 AM
07/17/19 01:08 AM
in the bathroom
M
manbearpig Offline
Tom Curren status
manbearpig  Offline
Tom Curren status
M

in the bathroom
I find the trend generally retarded.

But there’s a few instances otherwise. 10 years ago a few underground rippers were getting the barrels of the day on an overhead classic day of the year type swell on soft board twin fin fishes. They had modded them in some weird ways and raved about the flex in the tube.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4