REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Soft Tops - Just me??? [Re: trevorbc] #2981642
07/15/19 04:37 PM
07/15/19 04:37 PM
cold
T
trevorbc Offline
Michael Peterson status
trevorbc  Offline
Michael Peterson status
T

cold
I'll add that after the first summer I owned it and rode it a lot, friends (good surfers) would be stopping by constantly to borrow it. I had to put a stop to that as it would be out when I wanted it. Never have waxed it.

Re: Soft Tops - Just me??? [Re: glowplug] #2981660
07/15/19 05:04 PM
07/15/19 05:04 PM
000 Offline
Duke status
000  Offline
Duke status

it wouldnt be any cooler riding a $1,200 shiny glossed funboard

Re: Soft Tops - Just me??? [Re: glowplug] #2981680
07/15/19 05:16 PM
07/15/19 05:16 PM
West of the Atlantic. East of...
G
GromsDad Offline
Duke status
GromsDad  Offline
Duke status
G

Watch Beefs TV and you'll see that there are guys who surf better on today's soft-tops than 90% of surfers will ever perform on a hard board. These soft boards are getting pretty dialed in. I was dead set against my son getting one and he's been blowing my mind with the speed he can get and the hacks hes doing on it. The latest soft boards with fiberglass or rigid plastic fins just flat work.

What's the difference between conservatives and liberals?

Conservatives get angry when you lie to them. Liberals get angry when you tell
them the truth.
Re: Soft Tops - Just me??? [Re: glowplug] #2981736
07/15/19 06:22 PM
07/15/19 06:22 PM
Your mom�s house
D
Duffy Online content
Kelly Slater status
Duffy  Online Content
Kelly Slater status
D

Your mom�s house
[Linked Image]

�No eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn�

- The Wasp
Re: Soft Tops - Just me??? [Re: glowplug] #2981751
07/15/19 06:51 PM
07/15/19 06:51 PM
S. Redondo
C
ChaseTMP Online content
Legend (inyourownmind)
ChaseTMP  Online Content
Legend (inyourownmind)
C

S. Redondo
They're fun to have around. If I'm hanging at the beach with the fam, I don't want my +$500 epoxy shorty cooking all day long in the sun (yes, I have a reflective bag and no, they don't work that great). We have the obligatory Wavestorm which is fun for for my 12 year old daughter and I have fun catching a few if it's tiny. I'll also bring down a 4'11 INT which I I acquired fairly cheaply ($120) years ago. It has a hard bottom with Futures (tri) and with some Pro Teck fins, I'm not overly concerned about my daughter hurting herself. If the waves turn-up a notch and it's not worth the walk back home for one of my "normal" boards, I'll take the INT out. While it's a challenge to do anything resembling what I can do on my HPSB turn-wise, it's pretty fun to try dumb stuff (shuv-its, chop-hops etc.) in a fairly consequence (fin cuts and board damage) free way.

Re: Soft Tops - Just me??? [Re: glowplug] #2981766
07/15/19 07:10 PM
07/15/19 07:10 PM
M
mundus Offline
Phil Edwards status
mundus  Offline
Phil Edwards status
M

Soft tops are fun, stop taking surfing so seriously.

Re: Soft Tops - Just me??? [Re: glowplug] #2981767
07/15/19 07:12 PM
07/15/19 07:12 PM
PNW
A
Aruka Offline
Miki Dora status
Aruka  Offline
Miki Dora status
A

PNW
Soft tops without a doubt have a time and a place. I think it's kinda stupid to ride one at a good wave though. With all the great boards available it seems like a disservice to yourself to ride one in anything decent if you are anything above a beginner. That said, for messing around in marginal surf, playing with the kids, etc. and so on they are perfect. Any excuse to get wet.

I have yet to witness one of these elusive soft top rippers that I keep hearing about.

Re: Soft Tops - Just me??? [Re: glowplug] #2981771
07/15/19 07:21 PM
07/15/19 07:21 PM
N
nada2looz Offline
Grom
nada2looz  Offline
Grom
N

the worst i've been hurt in 10 years was messing around on a soft top on a shallow sandbar close out. nothing too serious thankfully but pulled into a little chest high close out and hopped off the back of the board and pushed it forward with my feet as it closed down. somehow the board unexpectedly bounced up and flipped over and finned me right in the base of my thumb on my palm. plastic fins so it didn't break the skin but my whole thumb turned purple and swelled up huge for few days. hard fins or hard board and i might've lost my thumb but then again i wouldn't have been pulling into dry sand closeouts on a real board.. be safe!

Re: Soft Tops - Just me??? [Re: Aruka] #2981787
07/15/19 08:01 PM
07/15/19 08:01 PM
G
GromsDad Offline
Duke status
GromsDad  Offline
Duke status
G

Originally Posted by Aruka
Soft tops without a doubt have a time and a place. I think it's kinda stupid to ride one at a good wave though. With all the great boards available it seems like a disservice to yourself to ride one in anything decent if you are anything above a beginner. That said, for messing around in marginal surf, playing with the kids, etc. and so on they are perfect. Any excuse to get wet.

I have yet to witness one of these elusive soft top rippers that I keep hearing about.

You know who Kalani Robb is?

What's the difference between conservatives and liberals?

Conservatives get angry when you lie to them. Liberals get angry when you tell
them the truth.
Re: Soft Tops - Just me??? [Re: GromsDad] #2981893
07/15/19 10:14 PM
07/15/19 10:14 PM
Tuna Town/Baja
G
grg Offline
Miki Dora status
grg  Offline
Miki Dora status
G

Tuna Town/Baja
Originally Posted by GromsDad

....and many more

Re: Soft Tops - Just me??? [Re: Duffy] #2982050
07/16/19 01:30 AM
07/16/19 01:30 AM
G
glowplug Offline OP
Grom
glowplug  Offline OP
Grom
G

Originally Posted by Duffy
I ride wavestorms.

Got a problem with that? Come talk to me.

This is fun........ Duffy, does that mean you want to fight about it? would that be in person or would you do it on your keyboard or maybe snapchat?

Re: Soft Tops - Just me??? [Re: glowplug] #2982167
07/16/19 04:03 AM
07/16/19 04:03 AM
Your mom�s house
D
Duffy Online content
Kelly Slater status
Duffy  Online Content
Kelly Slater status
D

Your mom�s house
Originally Posted by glowplug
Originally Posted by Duffy
I ride wavestorms.

Got a problem with that? Come talk to me.

This is fun........ Duffy, does that mean you want to fight about it? would that be in person or would you do it on your keyboard or maybe snapchat?

Says the guy complaining on the internet about soft tops...

My point is this...

...do you ever say anything to anyone (not just soft top riders either) who is doing something out of line in the water? If I paddle out near you on a Wavestorm and it bothers you simply because I’m on a Wavestorm would you say something?

If someone is stuffing people and saying “it’s all cool, bro” do you just silently get mad and then get on your computer and bitch about it here?

Do you understand where I’m going with this? I didn’t say anything about fighting. I said if i’m doing something that someone doesn’t like then let’s talk about it.

If I paddle out near you on a Wavestorm and you have an issue with my board choice then speak up. Speak loud enough for everyone to hear. If you are truly righteous in your assessment of my “improper” choice of board then what do you have to lose?

�No eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn�

- The Wasp
Re: Soft Tops - Just me??? [Re: glowplug] #2982178
07/16/19 04:48 AM
07/16/19 04:48 AM
G
glowplug Offline OP
Grom
glowplug  Offline OP
Grom
G

Duffy - Valid point! seriously.

It just bothers me as I see how hard it is for shapers/board makers to make it in today's surf culture/market with all the pressure from the "pop-outs" made overseas and mega brands like CI or Lost. Then I see a group of 5 early 20's guys on bikes ride past my house and I see every single one of them on soft tops.

It's something that I don't understand so I cast judgment. I don't understand the desire (other than maybe safety and costs) of why someone would choose these boards when for what it sounds like from above you could get a custom shape for a fraction more.

I guess I'd rather see a group of 20 year olds on a variety of shapes that had a lot more to offer (shaper, shape, colors, glass work, fins, etc) than an enlarged JOB boogie board.

But..... variety is the spice of life right and everyone has a perspective that they feel is right.

And to answer your question - I definitely say something about it in the lineup and out. I've had discussions with LONG time players about SUPs out at Sunset. I've waited in the parking lot for a guy who was burning everyone and calling everyone "donkeys" and "bitch made". I could go on....

Last edited by glowplug; 07/16/19 04:54 AM.
Re: Soft Tops - Just me??? [Re: glowplug] #2982180
07/16/19 04:54 AM
07/16/19 04:54 AM
92122 Offline
Billy Hamilton status
92122  Offline
Billy Hamilton status

The thing I dislike is that Wavestorms in particular seem to perpetuate cheap throw away surfboards.

"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm"
Re: Soft Tops - Just me??? [Re: grg] #2982181
07/16/19 04:58 AM
07/16/19 04:58 AM
PNW
A
Aruka Offline
Miki Dora status
Aruka  Offline
Miki Dora status
A

PNW
Originally Posted by grg
Originally Posted by GromsDad

....and many more

Yeah he's the guy that used to rip and now spends his days doing finless spinners at trestles left, right?

I'm kidding but for real I've never seen anyone ride one well in person. Maybe I will some day. I'll be sure to update this thread if and when it happens.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4