REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
On the Edge of a Dream - Greenough documentary #2978436
07/08/19 08:02 PM
07/08/19 08:02 PM
SD
S
SixtyGrit Offline OP
Legend (inyourownmind)
SixtyGrit  Offline OP
Legend (inyourownmind)
S

SD
Heard about this doc from Surf Splendor podcast: https://ontheedgeofadream.org/

The only way to watch it is to pay $110 AUD for the DVD, Book, and Digital Download. I'm a bit confused by this, since there isn't really enough info on the site for me to justify paying it, and the trailer doesn't really give any details as to how in-depth they get with design, what kinds of interviews, etc.

Anyone else have better info on this?

Re: On the Edge of a Dream - Greenough documentary [Re: SixtyGrit] #2978439
07/08/19 08:10 PM
07/08/19 08:10 PM
R
rts265 Online content
Miki Dora status
rts265  Online Content
Miki Dora status
R

yeah I'm not paying $100 for it, but I will say I was beyond stoked when I finally got my hands on Litmus.

I mean stocked.

Re: On the Edge of a Dream - Greenough documentary [Re: SixtyGrit] #2978462
07/08/19 08:47 PM
07/08/19 08:47 PM
T
toowalled Offline
Grom
toowalled  Offline
Grom
T

That podcast sucked.Those guys attitude was off putting .who would want to support them and spend 100 bucks? Watched the trailer doesnt get me stoked.Its like Surfing hulls not that great to watch but feels good for the surfer type thing

Re: On the Edge of a Dream - Greenough documentary [Re: rts265] #2978479
07/08/19 09:10 PM
07/08/19 09:10 PM
Petak Island
C
casa_mugrienta Offline
Duke status
casa_mugrienta  Offline
Duke status
C

Petak Island
Originally Posted by rts265
yeah I'm not paying $100 for it, but I will say I was beyond stoked when I finally got my hands on Litmus.

I mean stocked.

It has aged so well.

"The lifetime risk of dying in a mass shooting is around 1 in 110,154 — about the same chance of dying from a dog attack or legal execution."
https://www.healthline.com/health-news/why-are-we-afraid-of-mass-shootings
Re: On the Edge of a Dream - Greenough documentary [Re: SixtyGrit] #2978485
07/08/19 09:20 PM
07/08/19 09:20 PM
SD
S
SixtyGrit Offline OP
Legend (inyourownmind)
SixtyGrit  Offline OP
Legend (inyourownmind)
S

SD
I'm also super-confused about this attempt at perceived scarcity. IT'S GONNA SELL OUT YOU BETTER BUY IT OR ELSE!

It's 2019. The internet.

Re: On the Edge of a Dream - Greenough documentary [Re: SixtyGrit] #2978487
07/08/19 09:21 PM
07/08/19 09:21 PM
B
Bman76 Offline
Nep status
Bman76  Offline
Nep status
B

I agree. I heard kidman (can't remember where) say that there wouldn't be any footage available because he wanted to be paid for his work. Now i'm no marketing genius, but that makes no sense. I'd be flooding the net with little clips...The trailer does not make me want to spend that sort of money. And he was charging $300 for the edge fin at various shows about the place.

Re: On the Edge of a Dream - Greenough documentary [Re: SixtyGrit] #2978498
07/08/19 09:52 PM
07/08/19 09:52 PM
Oceansuck
J
jkb Offline
Phil Edwards status
jkb  Offline
Phil Edwards status
J

Oceansuck
The Surf Splendor podcast has an interview with Kidman and the other guy about this project.

They were pretty cagey about the details of how the board surfed because they want people to buy the book (that comes with the video).

This was an odd choice to me because they agreed to do a podcast about it, then proceeded to be vague about everything......to the degree that the conversation got pretty uncomfortable at times.

I'm interested in watching the movie, but at the same time was turned off by Kidmans attitude about the whole thing. He seemed kinda dickish. But Kidmans a creative and this is his baby. This is the way he wants it done, I just won't be participating.

It's a shame though because I would definitely pay (a reasonable amount) to watch the film.

Legal Disclaimer: jkb's posts are written by his Posting Agent, whose views and opinions do not necessarily represent those of jkb.
Re: On the Edge of a Dream - Greenough documentary [Re: SixtyGrit] #2978557
07/09/19 12:29 AM
07/09/19 12:29 AM
B
b_sacamano Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
b_sacamano  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
B

It's an enjoyable, interesting vid with a great soundtrack. The book has a ton of good stuff in it, too. I'm not disappointed with the purchase. Plus the Aussie dollar is like 70c US. Brings it down a bit.

Re: On the Edge of a Dream - Greenough documentary [Re: SixtyGrit] #2978576
07/09/19 01:39 AM
07/09/19 01:39 AM
SJC
G
grendel95 Offline
Gerry Lopez status
grendel95  Offline
Gerry Lopez status
G

SJC
I bought the kit, I'm a fan of Greenough and was very intrigued by some edge boards I saw a long time ago from Wilderness surfboards.

I missed the movie when it was travelling around and was pretty bummed, so I sprung for it since it came with the book.

It's cool, the book has a lot of stories and insight along with nice shots of the boards. The movie has a lot of good surfing in it and goes pretty deep into the design elements of the edge board and the power blade fin. I guess Greenough didn't want to speak on camera so he's in the background throughout the film.

I listened to the podcast and agree they came off pretty bad, they should've worked with David Lee Scales to steer the conversation prior. I get it though, this is their living and if they give up the details, why purchase the film?

Is it worth $100? It's pretty steep, but if you're a fan of Greenough or Andrew Kidman, I say yeah.

Vivat Grendel!
Instagram: @mighty_surf hat
Re: On the Edge of a Dream - Greenough documentary [Re: grendel95] #2978632
07/09/19 03:45 AM
07/09/19 03:45 AM
SD
S
SixtyGrit Offline OP
Legend (inyourownmind)
SixtyGrit  Offline OP
Legend (inyourownmind)
S

SD
Originally Posted by grendel95
I bought the kit, I'm a fan of Greenough and was very intrigued by some edge boards I saw a long time ago from Wilderness surfboards.

I missed the movie when it was travelling around and was pretty bummed, so I sprung for it since it came with the book.

It's cool, the book has a lot of stories and insight along with nice shots of the boards. The movie has a lot of good surfing in it and goes pretty deep into the design elements of the edge board and the power blade fin. I guess Greenough didn't want to speak on camera so he's in the background throughout the film.

I listened to the podcast and agree they came off pretty bad, they should've worked with David Lee Scales to steer the conversation prior. I get it though, this is their living and if they give up the details, why purchase the film?

Is it worth $100? It's pretty steep, but if you're a fan of Greenough or Andrew Kidman, I say yeah.

Look, I'm with you in general. However, for those of us who haven't had an opportunity to be a fan or not, the mystery, non-information does not make me want to spend money. That's all. Also, I think there's money to be made off me, and they're blowing it.

Re: On the Edge of a Dream - Greenough documentary [Re: SixtyGrit] #2978646
07/09/19 05:05 AM
07/09/19 05:05 AM
SJC
G
grendel95 Offline
Gerry Lopez status
grendel95  Offline
Gerry Lopez status
G

SJC
Originally Posted by SixtyGrit

Look, I'm with you in general. However, for those of us who haven't had an opportunity to be a fan or not, the mystery, non-information does not make me want to spend money. That's all. Also, I think there's money to be made off me, and they're blowing it.

I hear ya, I definitely had to rationalize the price as "Art" and not just a surf vid with a book.

I like what the guys are doing and the rabbit hole they are going down, but I'm not gonna buy every $100+ book/dvd combo they put out.

Vivat Grendel!
Instagram: @mighty_surf hat
Re: On the Edge of a Dream - Greenough documentary [Re: SixtyGrit] #2979697
07/11/19 04:38 PM
07/11/19 04:38 PM
Santa Barbara
C
CJSB Offline
Nep status
CJSB  Offline
Nep status
C

Santa Barbara
Missed the show in Santa Barbara. Heard from multiple sources it was terrible.