REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
small wave board planshape talk #2978345
07/08/19 05:36 PM
07/08/19 05:36 PM
SD
T
tedshred5 Offline OP
Legend (inyourownmind)
tedshred5  Offline OP
Legend (inyourownmind)
T

SD
nerding out on small wave boards for summer - always hear this terminology

"wide point forward"
"foam under the chest for paddling"
"low nose rocker and flip in the tail"
"flat exit rocker and flip in the nose"

we all probably agree that our preferences are individual

lookin at outline only, of these 4 "small wave" boards, this is what I see-

1. Roberts Vlad - pretty normal nose with wider tail a la WD
2. CI Ultra Joe - definite wider nose and wide point forward with pulled in tail
3. CI Rocket wide - slightly wider nose and slightly wider tail, pretty balanced wide point
4. Raynor Nugget - widened nose and tail but again, pretty balanced

I used to gravitate toward WPF and pulled in tail outlines for small waves, but now I've found from experience that a more balanced wide point works best for me personally... what's everyone else found?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: small wave board planshape talk [Re: tedshred5] #2978361
07/08/19 06:18 PM
07/08/19 06:18 PM
SoCal
N
need 4 speed Offline
Miki Dora status
need 4 speed  Offline
Miki Dora status
N

SoCal
In general(for me):
Lowish entry
Lowish tail with just a touch of flip out the end
Subtle bottom with vee in the tail
RWD looks best, to my eye, out of those 4
The Pyzel Astro Glide looking pretty dope too

NOT THAT KIND
Re: small wave board planshape talk [Re: tedshred5] #2978377
07/08/19 06:31 PM
07/08/19 06:31 PM
PNW
A
Aruka Offline
Miki Dora status
Aruka  Offline
Miki Dora status
A

PNW
I like the looks of that Vlad. Reminds me of a Stamps Shadow which worked really well in surprisingly small waves as long as you got up and moving. I like the winged swallow for a little flatter faced waves, gives that breaking point to free up the tail at lower speeds. If surfing move pockety waves I prefer a squash with a little more rocker.

I've had some fun little pumpkin seed shapes like that Raynor but honestly I think for legit small waves a round tail is not for me.

Between the two CI's the Ultra Joe looks like the better grovel shape. The RW is the first CI that's tempted me in a long time but it looks more like something for fun sized waves and I already have that base well covered.

This summer I've been mostly riding a twin fin Banjo fish which grovels about as good as anything I've tried and is just less work than something like the Lost Subdriver Swallow which is the other small wave board I've been riding. The Lost is a good one but I kinda have to be on my game if the waves are tiny and work a bit more for speed. I usually ride it over the Banjo when surfing peaky waves, especially lefts because it feels better on my backhand than the little twin fin does.

Re: small wave board planshape talk [Re: tedshred5] #2978411
07/08/19 07:19 PM
07/08/19 07:19 PM
Oceansuck
J
jkb Offline
Phil Edwards status
jkb  Offline
Phil Edwards status
J

Oceansuck
Lots of different kinds of small waves to surf.

In my area, it's both small and flat faced.

I like shorter boards with fuller outlines to help straighten the mid section a bit so I can drive off it for speed. Wide-ish nose, the widepoint centered and a wide tail. For me, a wide tail helps keep me moving through flat, weak sections.

I typically like low entry and some moderate tail rocker with some additional flip.

Deeper concaves for quicker acceleration out of the gate?? I'm not sure that's the design feature that helps with quick acceleration, but it's my suspicion. Would love to test the same board with different concaves, but alas, I don't have the kind of money to buy 3 of the same board.

Legal Disclaimer: jkb's posts are written by his Posting Agent, whose views and opinions do not necessarily represent those of jkb.
Re: small wave board planshape talk [Re: jkb] #2978470
07/08/19 09:03 PM
07/08/19 09:03 PM
SD
T
tedshred5 Offline OP
Legend (inyourownmind)
tedshred5  Offline OP
Legend (inyourownmind)
T

SD
Originally Posted by Aruka
I like the looks of that Vlad. Reminds me of a Stamps Shadow which worked really well in surprisingly small waves as long as you got up and moving. I like the winged swallow for a little flatter faced waves, gives that breaking point to free up the tail at lower speeds. If surfing move pockety waves I prefer a squash with a little more rocker.

I've had some fun little pumpkin seed shapes like that Raynor but honestly I think for legit small waves a round tail is not for me.

Between the two CI's the Ultra Joe looks like the better grovel shape. The RW is the first CI that's tempted me in a long time but it looks more like something for fun sized waves and I already have that base well covered.

This summer I've been mostly riding a twin fin Banjo fish which grovels about as good as anything I've tried and is just less work than something like the Lost Subdriver Swallow which is the other small wave board I've been riding. The Lost is a good one but I kinda have to be on my game if the waves are tiny and work a bit more for speed. I usually ride it over the Banjo when surfing peaky waves, especially lefts because it feels better on my backhand than the little twin fin does.

yeah, I love the wing swallow too. swallowtails work good for me and most of my boards are either regular swallow tails or wing swallow.
I have a RW which I love and it has a pretty wide range, but yeah it is better suited for normal-sized and not tiny waves. It's my do-anything board that I can throw in the car and surf no matter what.

Originally Posted by jkb
Lots of different kinds of small waves to surf.

In my area, it's both small and flat faced.

I like shorter boards with fuller outlines to help straighten the mid section a bit so I can drive off it for speed. Wide-ish nose, the widepoint centered and a wide tail. For me, a wide tail helps keep me moving through flat, weak sections.

I typically like low entry and some moderate tail rocker with some additional flip.

Deeper concaves for quicker acceleration out of the gate?? I'm not sure that's the design feature that helps with quick acceleration, but it's my suspicion. Would love to test the same board with different concaves, but alas, I don't have the kind of money to buy 3 of the same board.

same, most of the waves I surf, even more sizable ones, are flat faced.

I typically like medium-low entry with medium-low exit. The theme I'm learning for me is balanced - not too extreme at one end vs the other. same with outline - boards with a huge discrepancy in nose width vs. a really pulled in tail just feel kind of unbalanced. and yeah wider tails definitely help for me in flat waves even if a board's nose is relatively "normal" and not super fishy.

Re: small wave board planshape talk [Re: tedshred5] #2978490
07/08/19 09:32 PM
07/08/19 09:32 PM
SD
S
SixtyGrit Online content
Legend (inyourownmind)
SixtyGrit  Online Content
Legend (inyourownmind)
S

SD
Summer board for steep/pockety 2-footers ≠ summer board for slopey 3-footers. If I'm on mushburgers, Simmons/Flying manta all day (duh), but that's not what everyone's talking about, right?

literally EVERYTHING else, I'm riding my Rusty SD. Entry rocker is so damned dialed, it paddles like a dream. Knifey rails with wider tail/outline = tons of drive (without pushing the wide point forward), PLUS the tail flip makes it turn on a dime with good drive, and ability to stay right in the pocket. Best performance board I own for anything from thigh-high to under-head.

Tried the Timmy Patterson New Sun, and, well, it's on the classifieds. Too wide, too big at 5'8", but I'm probably going to try different dims / construction, since pretty much everyone else on the planet loves that board.

I hear good things about the Evo and the Rocket Wide... couldn't be more different, but I'd love to try both.

Re: small wave board planshape talk [Re: jkb] #2978501
07/08/19 10:05 PM
07/08/19 10:05 PM
Palm Coast , Florida
G
Greg Griffin Offline
Duke status
Greg Griffin  Offline
Duke status
G

Palm Coast , Florida
"Deeper concaves for quicker acceleration out of the gate??"

Concaves are about "Enhancing" flow of water

There is none out of the gate

Flat surface maximizes the effect of the rocker instead of reducing it "straighting it"

Instant effect out of the gate .

Imagine your favorite shaper trying to sell you the same bottom for 30+ years ;-)

Sales and Media need widgets weekly .

Re: small wave board planshape talk [Re: Greg Griffin] #2978549
07/08/19 11:59 PM
07/08/19 11:59 PM
SD
S
SixtyGrit Online content
Legend (inyourownmind)
SixtyGrit  Online Content
Legend (inyourownmind)
S

SD
Originally Posted by Greg Griffin
"Deeper concaves for quicker acceleration out of the gate??"

Concaves are about "Enhancing" flow of water

There is none out of the gate

Flat surface maximizes the effect of the rocker instead of reducing it "straighting it"

Instant effect out of the gate .

Imagine your favorite shaper trying to sell you the same bottom for 30+ years ;-)

Sales and Media need widgets weekly .

I'm trying this on my next shape!! Hilarious that a flat bottom is the most exciting thing to me. You've been preaching this for a long time....

Re: small wave board planshape talk [Re: SixtyGrit] #2978560
07/09/19 12:38 AM
07/09/19 12:38 AM
SD
T
tedshred5 Offline OP
Legend (inyourownmind)
tedshred5  Offline OP
Legend (inyourownmind)
T

SD
Originally Posted by SixtyGrit
Summer board for steep/pockety 2-footers ≠ summer board for slopey 3-footers. If I'm on mushburgers, Simmons/Flying manta all day (duh), but that's not what everyone's talking about, right?

literally EVERYTHING else, I'm riding my Rusty SD. Entry rocker is so damned dialed, it paddles like a dream. Knifey rails with wider tail/outline = tons of drive (without pushing the wide point forward), PLUS the tail flip makes it turn on a dime with good drive, and ability to stay right in the pocket. Best performance board I own for anything from thigh-high to under-head.

Tried the Timmy Patterson New Sun, and, well, it's on the classifieds. Too wide, too big at 5'8", but I'm probably going to try different dims / construction, since pretty much everyone else on the planet loves that board.

I hear good things about the Evo and the Rocket Wide... couldn't be more different, but I'd love to try both.

I had a Rusty SD. Got it custom during one of their $100 off deals. Rocker was nice- it paddled extremely well for its outline. I moved on from it bc I ordered it narrowed/thicker than stock and went too thick. Construction and glassing was excellent and it was done in 3-4 weeks if I remember right.

Re: small wave board planshape talk [Re: tedshred5] #2978616
07/09/19 02:27 AM
07/09/19 02:27 AM
around san diego
S
sd_101 Offline
Michael Peterson status
sd_101  Offline
Michael Peterson status
S

around san diego
Ultra joe has ears and a bump squash. Not that one.

Going a little shorter in length and a little wider in the tail always seems to prevail for me.

Last edited by sd_101; 07/09/19 02:29 AM.
Re: small wave board planshape talk [Re: tedshred5] #2978773
07/09/19 04:06 PM
07/09/19 04:06 PM
Venice California
K
kookEcho Offline
Grom
kookEcho  Offline
Grom
K

Venice California
Kook here. wave2 Scored a free blank that my friend shaped. He said he didn’t plan on getting it glassed so he let me have a go at shaping my 2nd. It was a 5’10.20.2 1/2 round nose diamond tail performance shortboard. I’m a smaller dude (5’8”135lbs) so I cut the tail off and turned it into a 5’2”. Kept the board rocker relatively flat but added a lil entry rocker in the nose and out the tail. Put a bump on it, fluted it out, and added a moontail. Ended up going a little too much moon with the moontail and somehow took an inch off the tail tips and turned the 5’2” into a 5’1”. Deepish single to double with vee out for the bottom. Foiled out the nose and tail, bladed the rails, and turned it into a twin. I’m still terrible at taking measurements but my guess is the board came out at 5’1”,19 3/4, 2 1/8. Went a little crazy with some rattlecan paint on the deck. Met with Mr. Barahona and asked to get it glassed 646 with 4S in the middle. Also asked for an opaque orange tint on the bottom with no cutlaps. Took the board out in 1-3 and had a blast. Also worked really well when there was a bit more size. Current fins futures Akila Aipa twins. [Linked Image] [Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

Last edited by kookEcho; 07/09/19 10:26 PM.

I’m just a kook. Surfing since 2014
Re: small wave board planshape talk [Re: kookEcho] #2978883
07/09/19 07:19 PM
07/09/19 07:19 PM
SoCal
N
need 4 speed Offline
Miki Dora status
need 4 speed  Offline
Miki Dora status
N

SoCal
Sweet!
Dropped this off for glassing Sunday
5-10 x 21 1/2 x 2 3/4 (bladed rails)
[Linked Image]
designed for weak conditions

NOT THAT KIND
Re: small wave board planshape talk [Re: need 4 speed] #2978893
07/09/19 07:28 PM
07/09/19 07:28 PM
SoCal
N
need 4 speed Offline
Miki Dora status
need 4 speed  Offline
Miki Dora status
N

SoCal
My other end of the small wave spectrum
6-2 x 21 3/4 x 2 5/8" twinzer
[Linked Image]

NOT THAT KIND
Re: small wave board planshape talk [Re: need 4 speed] #2978932
07/09/19 10:08 PM
in da hood next to paradise
H
Havoc4k Offline
Billy Hamilton status
Havoc4k  Offline
Billy Hamilton status
H

Originally Posted by need 4 speed
In general(for me):
Lowish entry
Lowish tail with just a touch of flip out the end
Subtle bottom with vee in the tail
RWD looks best, to my eye, out of those 4
The Pyzel Astro Glide looking pretty dope too

similar for me but double concave out the tail

The postings of this user are merely opinion and are posted by the users posting agent who may have different opinions than that of the user
�I think the USA "made in america" board builders "marketing" gimmick falls more inline with a cult than the firewire following� -deforest
Re: small wave board planshape talk [Re: need 4 speed] #2978934
H
Havoc4k Offline
Billy Hamilton status
Havoc4k  Offline
Billy Hamilton status
H

Originally Posted by need 4 speed
My other end of the small wave spectrum
6-2 x 21 3/4 x 2 5/8" twinzer
[Linked Image]

nice boar!

why not wax up further for your airgame?

The postings of this user are merely opinion and are posted by the users posting agent who may have different opinions than that of the user
�I think the USA "made in america" board builders "marketing" gimmick falls more inline with a cult than the firewire following� -deforest
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3