REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Remodel - advice [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2974985
07/01/19 03:05 AM
07/01/19 03:05 AM
J
JBerry Offline
Grom
JBerry  Offline
Grom
J

Consider the owner/general route.You can choose your own subs and schedule them yourself given the time estimates from the other trades.
You will definitely need experience in these areas: plumber, tile, electrician, possible drywall guy, painter. and depending on your scope of work, and if you want it to be covered in case of fire etc, permits. It is a lot more work, especially if you don't know your trades.
However, in all these cases, that's what a general contractor usually can provide you, which is typically a good 20% increase in overall cost, and a lot of times worth it. If you go the GC route, I'd just make sure you have copies of all of the subs that the GC uses, insurance, w/c insurance certificates, along with contracts that show estimated completion dates. (ask everysurfer, he would have something to add I'm sure)
Remember that most good contractors that you'd consider hiring are probably booked out, so allow time to plan. Also, materials can take time to order, like windows, tile, fixtures, etc. Don't order the wrong size or not enough!!
Bottom line, if you don't want or have the time to be too involved other than choosing colors, styles etc, hire a GC that can do it all and just make sure they are a good referral and fair price, licensed, insured, etc. and stay on the same page with them!
Ask your immediate friends, not just the erbb, and see the work that their referral has done too!
I'll be following this post because I have 2 baths and a kitchen to remodel.

Re: Remodel - advice [Re: b.r.] #2974986
07/01/19 03:33 AM
07/01/19 03:33 AM
H
huryanpost Offline
Michael Peterson status
huryanpost  Offline
Michael Peterson status
H

cast iron tub was a bitch getting out of there)

Unless you are trying to salvage tub, break into pieces
with a sledgehammer.

The Sport of Vagabonds is now the Sport of Barons. - D. Hynd?
Re: Remodel - advice [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2974992
07/01/19 04:12 AM
07/01/19 04:12 AM
I
Icanmakeit Offline
Grom
Icanmakeit  Offline
Grom
I

Do not pay up Front.
It takes longer than you think
It going to cost more.
Stay on top. make sure permits are properly filed.
its a good Journey
Cheers

Re: Remodel - advice [Re: b.r.] #2975043
07/01/19 12:38 PM
07/01/19 12:38 PM
Santa Barbara County
E
everysurfr Offline
Michael Peterson status
everysurfr  Offline
Michael Peterson status
E

Santa Barbara County
Originally Posted by b.r.
did your wife's friend blow up the toilet again?
We redid our bathroom with some friends of mine. Right now most anyone who is good at their trade is staying busy so you might have to work around someone elses schedule and wait, for example we are gonna remodel our kitchen and so we met the guy a couple weeks ago and he is gonna start the last week of July. For our bathroom I did the demo work and had it all cleared out (the cast iron tub was a bitch getting out of there) and then my wife picked everything and had it all ready or ordered when the guy was ready to start. It usually takes longer than you think and costs more then you want, but ours turned out really nice and everyone was happy. Good luck
oops. Cast iron tubs are really easy to take out. Hit them with a sledge hammer, and they break up like glass. Buckets and a shovel into the dumpster. Wear eye protection.

Double oops. I didn't see huryanpost beat me to it. Sorry for the duplication.

Last edited by everysurfr; 07/01/19 12:43 PM.

*** You are ignoring this user ***
Re: Remodel - advice [Re: everysurfr] #2975056
07/01/19 12:55 PM
07/01/19 12:55 PM
Petak Island
C
casa_mugrienta Offline OP
Duke status
casa_mugrienta  Offline OP
Duke status
C

Petak Island
Originally Posted by everysurfr
We redid our bathroom with some friends of mine. Right now most anyone who is good at their trade is staying busy so you might have to work around someone elses schedule and wait, for example we are gonna remodel our kitchen and so we met the guy a couple weeks ago and he is gonna start the last week of July. For our bathroom I did the demo work and had it all cleared out (the cast iron tub was a bitch getting out of there) and then my wife picked everything and had it all ready or ordered when the guy was ready to start. It usually takes longer than you think and costs more then you want, but ours turned out really nice and everyone was happy. Good luck
oops. Cast iron tubs are really easy to take out. Hit them with a sledge hammer, and they break up like glass. Buckets and a shovel into the dumpster. Wear eye protection.

Wouldn't a grinder make less a mess?

Re: Remodel - advice [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2975071
07/01/19 01:12 PM
07/01/19 01:12 PM
Santa Barbara County
E
everysurfr Offline
Michael Peterson status
everysurfr  Offline
Michael Peterson status
E

Santa Barbara County
Suuuuuuure. Go at it with a grinder!

Re: Remodel - advice [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2975090
07/01/19 01:36 PM
07/01/19 01:36 PM
Petak Island
C
casa_mugrienta Offline OP
Duke status
casa_mugrienta  Offline OP
Duke status
C

Petak Island
That's what was done with my neighbor's tub. shrug

Removed in 2 pieces.

Re: Remodel - advice [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2975095
07/01/19 01:40 PM
07/01/19 01:40 PM
California USA
J
JEwing Offline
Tom Curren status
JEwing  Offline
Tom Curren status
J

California USA
Just had a tub removed and replaced with a shower, in and out in 3 days. Then had the same company reface the entire kitchen in less than a week. Top quality work. Also, I have a master painter to follow up after the installation. PM me for details.

I was a little bit smarter and quicker than everyone else, so I've been able to live the way I've wanted to live - Mickey Dora
Re: Remodel - advice [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2975096
07/01/19 01:44 PM
07/01/19 01:44 PM
E
ElOgro Offline
Duke status
ElOgro  Offline
Duke status
E

Originally Posted by casa_mugrienta

You’re picking flush it out of the pepper. Sledgehammer is way faster.

"That's their respect for me... I got leid," Rabbit Kekai

"That's all it takes--one moment." Sponge
Re: Remodel - advice [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2975108
07/01/19 01:55 PM
07/01/19 01:55 PM
Santa Barbara County
E
everysurfr Offline
Michael Peterson status
everysurfr  Offline
Michael Peterson status
E

Santa Barbara County
Here is the best advice i can give you...

1 get three bids. Don't look at the price. You are actually interviewing the contractor. Everything is about the contractor's character and ability. You are going to get what you paid for. A good guy, with a higher price is going to give you better service.

2. The contractor who does the most work himself is probably going to give you the best job. Several reasons. a) If he can do all the trades himself, he is the most knowledgeable about the trades. A paper contractor who subcontracts everything doesn't prove he actually knows anything, other than how to make phone calls. It could be the blind leading the blind. b) If he does the trades himself, it may cost less. He isn't stacking the subcontractor's profits on top of his own. In addition to not paying taxes and workers comp insurance on employees, because he doesn't need to pay that on himself. Granted, old masters who can actually do the all the work are pretty rare. In the old days, it was the norm.

3. Get out of the way. Sorry to say this, but if your personality is really like how you post here, you are in trouble. Huryanpost and I just told you how to take out a bathtub. Rather than saying, "cool tip, thanks" you said, "but my neighbor did it with a grinder" Don't argue. Just don't do it. Find the guy who has proven himself trustworthy, and trust him. If he wanted to fvck you over, you wouldn't see it coming. Your pipes would start leaking and your tile will fall off the walls a year after he is gone. Find a good proven guy, and get out of his way, and try not to piss him off.

Last edited by everysurfr; 07/01/19 02:10 PM. Reason: Stupid autocorrect

Re: Remodel - advice [Re: everysurfr] #2975110
07/01/19 01:59 PM
07/01/19 01:59 PM
LBNY
S
subway Offline
Phil Edwards status
subway  Offline
Phil Edwards status
S

LBNY
communication is key

Re: Remodel - advice [Re: JEwing] #2975114
07/01/19 02:09 PM
07/01/19 02:09 PM
Santa Barbara County
E
everysurfr Offline
Michael Peterson status
everysurfr  Offline
Michael Peterson status
E

Santa Barbara County
Originally Posted by JEwing
Just had a tub removed and replaced with a shower, in and out in 3 days. Then had the same company reface the entire kitchen in less than a week. Top quality work. Also, I have a master painter to follow up after the installation. PM me for details.

3 days is crazy fast. Some corners were cut there. 1/2 day demolition. Cement board installed and shower pan in second day. Definitely didn't float the walls with lath and plaster. Also didn't do a 24 hour water test/ city inspection on the shower pan. A day to set tile. Next day to grout. Grout still needs to be sealed a day or two after it dries. A proper job takes a bit longer.

There is a guy out of the San Fernando Vally who advertises 3 day baths. Total con man. Horrible reviews on yelp. Changed business name to cover his tracks. I crossed paths with him years ago. Never got paid for my work. I hope it wasn't him.

Last edited by everysurfr; 07/01/19 02:17 PM.

Re: Remodel - advice [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2975118
07/01/19 02:14 PM
07/01/19 02:14 PM
C
CCKeith Offline
Nep status
CCKeith  Offline
Nep status
C

Originally Posted by casa_mugrienta

4.5 in angle grinder will take u les than an hour wear your safety gogs and suit. no need for sledge just personal pref or sometimes neccesity.

Re: Remodel - advice [Re: everysurfr] #2975121
07/01/19 02:18 PM
07/01/19 02:18 PM
California USA
J
JEwing Offline
Tom Curren status
JEwing  Offline
Tom Curren status
J

California USA
Originally Posted by JEwing

3 days is crazy fast. Some corners were cut there. 1/2 day demolition. Cement board installed and shower pan in second day. Definitely didn't float the walls with lath and plaster. Also didn't do a 24 hour water test/ city inspection on the shower pan. A day to set tile. Next day to grout. Grout still needs to be sealed a day or two after it dries. A proper job takes a bit longer.

Technically it was 1 day.

I was a little bit smarter and quicker than everyone else, so I've been able to live the way I've wanted to live - Mickey Dora
Re: Remodel - advice [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2975122
07/01/19 02:21 PM
07/01/19 02:21 PM
C
CCKeith Offline
Nep status
CCKeith  Offline
Nep status
C

looks liike theres gonna b sum good comedy in this one what a shitshow already

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32