REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: What are your thoughts on patenting a surfboard design feature? [Re: jkb] #2974584
06/29/19 06:49 PM
06/29/19 06:49 PM
around san diego
S
sd_101 Offline
Michael Peterson status
sd_101  Offline
Michael Peterson status
S

around san diego
https://patents.google.com/?q=Surfboard&oq=Surfboard

Plenty of surfboard patents. Hardly a new idea.

Re: What are your thoughts on patenting a surfboard design feature? [Re: jkb] #2974609
06/29/19 09:31 PM
06/29/19 09:31 PM
Saint Auggie FL
D
drewtang Offline
Grom
drewtang  Offline
Grom
D

Saint Auggie FL
Not a big Fu to the rest of the industry at all. It's a way to protect the innovative intellectual property. Whether some armchair Monday morning quarterback feels like the intellectual property is unique or not doesn't matter either. It's up to the guy putting in the extra mile in order to protect his ip whether or not to take the gamble. Might not pay off, probably won't, statistically, but you never know if you don't put in the hustle. If he wins his patent then he can protect his design, doesn't take much imagination to guess why that's more important in the current state of the industry than ever.

Simon didn't patent the thruster design. It stinks that he doesn't get paid for his innovation
Who wouldn't like to know that one of the greatest design breakthrough in our sport made him financially well off...for generations. But that story didn't play out like that. This is common knowledge. Maybe if you feel so strongly about this, and you've had a great thruster (or 2) you should send him some money? I'm sure he would be easy to find if you have a check for him.

Re: What are your thoughts on patenting a surfboard design feature? [Re: drewtang] #2974641
06/30/19 01:34 AM
06/30/19 01:34 AM
Oceanside Ca.
B
bsnyder Offline
Michael Peterson status
bsnyder  Offline
Michael Peterson status
B

Oceanside Ca.
Karma is a bitch! Already have seen those channels from China. Good luck with that Dane. I’ll keep quiet about what I know as I have been in this industry for a long time. I’ve heard enough to write a tell all book. So many fake bullshit con men in this business! It will Catch up to you eventually.

Barry Snyder
Surfboards made by hand. Not machine.

"Stay dusty my friend."

barrysnyderdesigns.com
@barrysnyderdesigns
Re: What are your thoughts on patenting a surfboard design feature? [Re: bsnyder] #2974683
06/30/19 05:03 AM
06/30/19 05:03 AM
California
D
deforest Offline
Nep status
deforest  Offline
Nep status
D

California
Originally Posted by bsnyder
Karma is a bitch! Already have seen those channels from China. Good luck with that Dane. I’ll keep quiet about what I know as I have been in this industry for a long time. I’ve heard enough to write a tell all book. So many fake bullshit con men in this business! It will Catch up to you eventually.

applause

Instagram: @deforestcooper
Re: What are your thoughts on patenting a surfboard design feature? [Re: jkb] #2974696
06/30/19 07:00 AM
06/30/19 07:00 AM
92122 Offline
Billy Hamilton status
92122  Offline
Billy Hamilton status

Morey Boogie now Whammo patenting Black rails on Bodyboards is complete horseshit and should have never been approved.

So yeah, many of these patents out there are not justified, and their owners don’t deserve anything for ‘their idea’.

"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm"
Re: What are your thoughts on patenting a surfboard design feature? [Re: jkb] #2974700
06/30/19 08:29 AM
06/30/19 08:29 AM
Nar
C
Clamsmasha Online content
Gerry Lopez status
Clamsmasha  Online Content
Gerry Lopez status
C

Nar
Patented or patent pending?

Doesn’t seem entirely novel in design or application but I suppose no one petitioned the patent office to call bullshit.

I think as a design it stands squarely on the shoulders of other boardmakers work. Like just about everything that has happened surfing since forever.

I know nobody likes being poor and all that, but one thing I love about surfing is that any swinging dick can wonder how or why and pick up a planer or tool to find out the hard way. It all starts with someone else’s work though...hubris to say otherwise.

I won’t speculate on the little whispers I hear about this guys rise, but I find his ultra slick sermons and radio voice really off putting. I mean, are we all f=cking stupid enough to think that those hatchet keels or the flagrant Tomo ripoffs are the works of a highly original shaping auteur? I feel like he was the last hipster standing when the galaxy of douchey unsurfable white tinted Simmons stupidity collapsed in on itself a few years back. (Thank fvch).

Not everything is as it seems I guess. Some of the hottest chicks on Insta are Russian guys.

Re: What are your thoughts on patenting a surfboard design feature? [Re: jkb] #2974715
06/30/19 11:57 AM
06/30/19 11:57 AM
West of the Atlantic. East of...
G
GromsDad Offline
Duke status
GromsDad  Offline
Duke status
G

I first had a board with deck channels like that made by Steve Seebold sometime around 1997. Had a logo on it just like posted below. I don't even know if he was the first or the only one to do it at the time but I had one and a local shop probably had 10 other of his boards with the channels on the rack. I see this as someone knocking off someone else and then patenting the knock off. In that era I also had a board where they had routed thin channels along the bottom and filled with fin rope to create rods to strengthen the board. Pretty sure they called them power rods. Quick, someone patent that one.

[Linked Image]

What's the difference between conservatives and liberals?

Conservatives get angry when you lie to them. Liberals get angry when you tell
them the truth.
Re: What are your thoughts on patenting a surfboard design feature? [Re: jkb] #2974718
06/30/19 12:04 PM
06/30/19 12:04 PM
G
GromsDad Offline
Duke status
GromsDad  Offline
Duke status
G

Originally Posted by jkb
Has deck "corrugation" been used before? I'm not sure, but I'd bet yes. Perhaps GG can tell us.

It absolutely has. Of course it wasn't given the stupid name but deck channels were put along the rails of boards in the 90s. This is not new and Vulcan certainly isn't the first.

them the truth.
Re: What are your thoughts on patenting a surfboard design feature? [Re: jkb] #2974724
06/30/19 12:40 PM
06/30/19 12:40 PM
Palm Coast , Florida
G
Greg Griffin Offline
Duke status
Greg Griffin  Offline
Duke status
G

Palm Coast , Florida
I have something that will make any board more exciting = fun to ride

For every builders board and ehancing every customers surfing experience .

I have had this for a very long time and the tech of today would make it very easy to make and alter .

None of those I worked for were trust worthy to share it with .

It would be Very Expensive to protect world wide - its REAL and will be taken since it works so well . No Pros needed .

Way more dynamic than a fin plug or dents in the deck :-)

I may never try to release it since I feel this industry will just take it .

Re: What are your thoughts on patenting a surfboard design feature? [Re: jkb] #2974765
06/30/19 02:46 PM
06/30/19 02:46 PM
Santa Barbara County
E
everysurfr Online content
Michael Peterson status
everysurfr  Online Content
Michael Peterson status
E

Santa Barbara County
So they took stretch's idea, and did it twice? Not really an original idea.

*** You are ignoring this user ***
Re: What are your thoughts on patenting a surfboard design feature? [Re: drewtang] #2974767
06/30/19 02:48 PM
06/30/19 02:48 PM
Santa Barbara County
E
everysurfr Online content
Michael Peterson status
everysurfr  Online Content
Michael Peterson status
E

Santa Barbara County
Originally Posted by drewtang
Not a big Fu to the rest of the industry at all. It's a way to protect the innovative intellectual property. Whether some armchair Monday morning quarterback feels like the intellectual property is unique or not doesn't matter either. It's up to the guy putting in the extra mile in order to protect his ip whether or not to take the gamble. Might not pay off, probably won't, statistically, but you never know if you don't put in the hustle. If he wins his patent then he can protect his design, doesn't take much imagination to guess why that's more important in the current state of the industry than ever.

Simon didn't patent the thruster design. It stinks that he doesn't get paid for his innovation
Who wouldn't like to know that one of the greatest design breakthrough in our sport made him financially well off...for generations. But that story didn't play out like that. This is common knowledge. Maybe if you feel so strongly about this, and you've had a great thruster (or 2) you should send him some money? I'm sure he would be easy to find if you have a check for him.

Bill Thrailkill put 3 fins on a board before Simon.

*** You are ignoring this user ***
Re: What are your thoughts on patenting a surfboard design feature? [Re: everysurfr] #2974772
06/30/19 03:05 PM
06/30/19 03:05 PM
G
GromsDad Offline
Duke status
GromsDad  Offline
Duke status
G

Originally Posted by everysurfr
So they took stretch's idea, and did it twice? Not really an original idea.

Good catch on Stretch doing the deck channels too. Pretty sure Stretch started doing it around 2005..........and he was copying people who did it before him. The board I had with deck channels was well before I'd seen a Stretch with them. If memory serves Rusty might have been doing deck channels too at one point and may have even posted a picture or video on the web demonstrating the tool he used to do it.

[Linked Image]

them the truth.
Re: What are your thoughts on patenting a surfboard design feature? [Re: jkb] #2974776
06/30/19 03:14 PM
Palm Coast , Florida
G
Greg Griffin Offline
Duke status
Greg Griffin  Offline
Duke status
G

Palm Coast , Florida
Hey !

Thats a Surftech !!! ;-)

Re: What are your thoughts on patenting a surfboard design feature? [Re: everysurfr] #2974777
G
GromsDad Offline
Duke status
GromsDad  Offline
Duke status
G

Originally Posted by everysurfr
Originally Posted by drewtang

Bill Thrailkill put 3 fins on a board before Simon.

A friend has a Velzy shortboard from about 1970 that has 3 glass on fins. Big fin in the middle and two smaller fins on the rails.

them the truth.
Re: What are your thoughts on patenting a surfboard design feature? [Re: Fredtool] #2974792
06/30/19 03:41 PM
06/30/19 03:41 PM
SJC
G
grendel95 Offline
Gerry Lopez status
grendel95  Offline
Gerry Lopez status
G

SJC
Originally Posted by Fredtool
Getting a patent is one thing it is another thing to defend your Patent. Happens all the time in the computer industry. Some small guy comes up with something a another larger company does a slight design change and starts production. The little guy now sues. 10 years later it’s still in court. The little guy is Bankrupt has to sell his rights for pennies on the Dollar. If Firewire makes a Board with similar deck channels. Volcano now has to defend the Patented corrugated deck. FireWire could drag things out for a long long time. Right up to the point that those corrugated Boards stop selling.

This^

Unless you have free time to chase people down and take them to court and collect damages to your "business," your patent is only good for publicity, which I think Vulcan did it for. If he convinces a large board builder to use his innovation, good for him for getting paid.

A lot of patents aren't secured by the original creator/inventor, rather by a savvy businessman who has the $$$ and time to go through the patent process and then collect from people. Surf leashes and surf traction are examples in the surf industry, that's why there are so many flash in the pan surf accessory makers that are 'hot' for a couple years until they get shutdown by the "damage" collectors.

Joe Bauguess patented the "Mini Simmons" name but I don't think he ever got to collect on all the manufacturers that refer to their micro grovellor hulls as mini simmons, his descendants might if they choose to go that route. But, Joe's name will forever be associated with the "Mini Simmons" design, for good or ill considering the speculation of the design's origins.

The super strong indestructable surfboard to last a lifetime is a farce, who wants one other than a surf school? I'm not for equipment that breaks easily or wears out quickly, I just like to try new stuff.

Last edited by grendel95; 06/30/19 03:42 PM.

Vivat Grendel!
Instagram: @mighty_surf hat
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4