REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: So recently I heard someone ask a 4 year old if he was going right or left. [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2973210
06/26/19 07:38 PM
06/26/19 07:38 PM
Oceansuck
J
jkb Offline
Phil Edwards status
jkb  Offline
Phil Edwards status
J

Oceansuck
Or you could just let a 4 year old have a wave or 2 and be stocked for him (or at the very least be indifferent) shrug

Legal Disclaimer: jkb's posts are written by his Posting Agent, whose views and opinions do not necessarily represent those of jkb.
Re: So recently I heard someone ask a 4 year old if he was going right or left. [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2973218
06/26/19 08:01 PM
06/26/19 08:01 PM
Neck deep
H
HarryLopez Offline
Phil Edwards status
HarryLopez  Offline
Phil Edwards status
H

Neck deep
Carissa Moore's dad was relentless with this. Seemed to work for her. roflmao

Meh, let the kids surf. It is actually an awesome feeling to get stocked for the kid! Yewww!

I knew my eggs was headed for dat big omelette in da sky!
Re: So recently I heard someone ask a 4 year old if he was going right or left. [Re: frvcvs] #2973224
06/26/19 08:16 PM
06/26/19 08:16 PM
T
thrillkicker Offline
Nep status
thrillkicker  Offline
Nep status
T

Originally Posted by frvcvs
Did you spear the kid with your board for snaking you?

How old was the kid that FecalFace tried to spear? shrug

Nine?

Do you ever get speared for being a tiny man? bawling

Re: So recently I heard someone ask a 4 year old if he was going right or left. [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2973225
06/26/19 08:18 PM
06/26/19 08:18 PM
T
TangTonic Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
TangTonic  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
T

Let me preface my post by saying I live in a place where the lineups are not clogged so not taking waves away from other surfers.

But think about it from a Dad and Son's perspective. In my case, I want to surf with my son and I want him to have the stock. In my son's case, he wanted to get waves but wasn't capable of getting in the right spot, reading which waves to go on, and get into them. And we had been working up to this for a long time. Me taking him bodysurfing on my back when he was 2 and getting worked on some with him getting ripped off my back. Progressing to a foam board and then finally to a real one.

So when he was ready at age 6, I took him out there and got him into waves. He was stocked and so was I. My wave count suffered and I definitely sacrificed to do this. But you know what, it was a transcending feeling to go past the selfish pursuit of surfing for myself. I honestly got as stocked for my son catching waves as if I were catching them myself.

The stockage continues and he is now catching his own waves and just loves surfing. Going on our first family surf trip this summer! I thank the powers of the universe for giving me a child stocked on the ocean and surfing.

So before you judge, perhaps that dad really just wants his son to be surfing by his side as soon as possible. Its really one of the greatest gifts I have ever received: my son, my wife, and I all out in the water enjoying the ocean and life.

Got my flame suit on so go on and hate...hate...hate...lol.

Re: So recently I heard someone ask a 4 year old if he was going right or left. [Re: TangTonic] #2973231
06/26/19 08:38 PM
06/26/19 08:38 PM
1whoknows Online content
Phil Edwards status
1whoknows  Online Content
Phil Edwards status

1. shrug the waves have been tiny lately
2. So what. Big deal.
3. Rob M. was pushing his adult snowboard buddy into waves at S. Cardiff a few weeks ago. The guy was stoked. It was cool.
4. OP setting the bar lower and lower with each passing day. socrazy

“God, I’m glad I’m not me.” Bob Dylan
Re: So recently I heard someone ask a 4 year old if he was going right or left. [Re: TangTonic] #2973232
06/26/19 08:39 PM
06/26/19 08:39 PM
The Bar
K
Kento Online content
Duke status
Kento  Online Content
Duke status
K

The Bar
Originally Posted by TangTonic
Let me preface my post by saying I live in a place where the lineups are not clogged so not taking waves away from other surfers.

But think about it from a Dad and Son's perspective. In my case, I want to surf with my son and I want him to have the stock. In my son's case, he wanted to get waves but wasn't capable of getting in the right spot, reading which waves to go on, and get into them. And we had been working up to this for a long time. Me taking him bodysurfing on my back when he was 2 and getting worked on some with him getting ripped off my back. Progressing to a foam board and then finally to a real one.

So when he was ready at age 6, I took him out there and got him into waves. He was stocked and so was I. My wave count suffered and I definitely sacrificed to do this. But you know what, it was a transcending feeling to go past the selfish pursuit of surfing for myself. I honestly got as stocked for my son catching waves as if I were catching them myself.

The stockage continues and he is now catching his own waves and just loves surfing. Going on our first family surf trip this summer! I thank the powers of the universe for giving me a child stocked on the ocean and surfing.

So before you judge, perhaps that dad really just wants his son to be surfing by his side as soon as possible. Its really one of the greatest gifts I have ever received: my son, my wife, and I all out in the water enjoying the ocean and life.

Got my flame suit on so go on and hate...hate...hate...lol.

Hate?!

That's fooking awesome and seeing your kids stocked in the ocean is bar none the best. My son is 4 and just learning to swim but is progressing fast. It's only a matter of time before he's ready to get out into the lineup (albeit not a crowded one). It will be one of biggest joys to be able to surf with my kids and see the stock in their eyes once they're able to get up and ride. jam_on

Nothing is obscene provided it is done in bad taste.

Russ Meyer
Re: So recently I heard someone ask a 4 year old if he was going right or left. [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2973234
06/26/19 08:44 PM
06/26/19 08:44 PM
JAX BCH FLA.
J
jbd Offline
Phil Edwards status
jbd  Offline
Phil Edwards status
J

JAX BCH FLA.
Outback where we surf we usually keep the groms in between the dads and Surf Uncles so if dad takes a waves the "surf uncles" can keep an eye on them till they get back out to the lineup without worrying. We are surfing a beach break that looks exactly the same as the next street so if you paddle out in the middle of us with our kids in the middle while they are catching waves and start hassling the groms, we will book end you and start hassling you till you get a clue or leave. Because there are plenty of spots on either side of us that you can surf without hassling groms. So if you paddle out and act like a tool, you will get what you deserve.

Now that said, I have no idea about what it's like on a point break type setup with a grom.... I guess that would be a whole different deal.

IMO, As long as the dad isn't wave hogging with his kid, I would say let the little kid catch some waves. Maybe let dad know he should share more etc.

Last edited by jbd; 06/26/19 08:46 PM.
Re: So recently I heard someone ask a 4 year old if he was going right or left. [Re: Kento] #2973238
06/26/19 08:52 PM
06/26/19 08:52 PM
Vagina Point
A
Autoprax Offline
Duke status
Autoprax  Offline
Duke status
A

Vagina Point
Originally Posted by Kento
Originally Posted by Autoprax
I have no problem stuffing the little F'er because I know that he or she probably can't take me.

I think I could take most four year olds.

There might be some outliers.

Sure.

But how many 4-year olds could you take?

To summarize a previous debate, I believe the best approach is to pick one up by the ankles and use it as a flail against the others.

I was going to ask if I could use a weapon like a stick but you answer my questions.

As mark twain says it's not the 57 year old in the fight, it's the fight in the 57 year old. I've lost a few steps but I think I could take at least 10.

I can't still hold my breath under water for 3 minutes in a pinch.

incompetence is preferable to malice.
Re: So recently I heard someone ask a 4 year old if he was going right or left. [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2973245
06/26/19 09:14 PM
06/26/19 09:14 PM
92122 Offline
Billy Hamilton status
92122  Offline
Billy Hamilton status

Originally Posted by casa_mugrienta

Also, when you weigh 30 lbs and have custom surfboards being shaped for you this is not that difficult a feat for a father/son combo to pull off.

Yes but the Dad is doing a lot more work than you to get 2 people into position, so why aren't you beating him? He's on a huge board and you want to ride a short board?? Always a point of contention.

"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm"
Re: So recently I heard someone ask a 4 year old if he was going right or left. [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2973246
06/26/19 09:18 PM
06/26/19 09:18 PM
around san diego
S
sd_101 Offline
Michael Peterson status
sd_101  Offline
Michael Peterson status
S

around san diego
The youngest age group of surfing comps are pushed into waves, IIRC.

Gotta practice!

Re: So recently I heard someone ask a 4 year old if he was going right or left. [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2973251
06/26/19 09:36 PM
06/26/19 09:36 PM
San Clemente
J
Joshua2415 Offline
Phil Edwards status
Joshua2415  Offline
Phil Edwards status
J

San Clemente
Some of the older guys who are always out at lowers in the morning push each other into waves every once and a while...just having fun and helping each other get into waves. I watched it happen a couple times this morning.

smile2

Re: So recently I heard someone ask a 4 year old if he was going right or left. [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2973256
06/26/19 10:00 PM
06/26/19 10:00 PM
W
Waxfoot Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
Waxfoot  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
W

Wait what, you're moaning about a 4 year old?

Re: So recently I heard someone ask a 4 year old if he was going right or left. [Re: 92122] #2973258
06/26/19 10:01 PM
06/26/19 10:01 PM
Petak Island
C
casa_mugrienta Offline OP
Duke status
casa_mugrienta  Offline OP
Duke status
C

Petak Island
Originally Posted by 92122

Also, when you weigh 30 lbs and have custom surfboards being shaped for you this is not that difficult a feat for a father/son combo to pull off.

Yes but the Dad is doing a lot more work than you to get 2 people into position, so why aren't you beating him? He's on a huge board and you want to ride a short board?? Always a point of contention.

Dads are always on shortboards. Groms can paddle, just can't paddle to get into waves. Grom sticks with dad, dad pushes him in so the kid is standing up and riding the wave before it begins to break. No adult can beat him unless they have a motor.

Re: So recently I heard someone ask a 4 year old if he was going right or left. [Re: HarryLopez] #2973264
06/26/19 10:08 PM
06/26/19 10:08 PM
Petak Island
C
casa_mugrienta Offline OP
Duke status
casa_mugrienta  Offline OP
Duke status
C

Petak Island
Originally Posted by HarryLopez

And that's exactly what this is about.

Competitive surfing.

Alot of these kids have instagram profiles their parents are running too.

Re: So recently I heard someone ask a 4 year old if he was going right or left. [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2973265
06/26/19 10:12 PM
06/26/19 10:12 PM
CA
S
stu dog Online content
Duke status
stu dog  Online Content
Duke status
S

CA
Originally Posted by HarryLopez

And that's exactly what this is about.

Competitive surfing.

Alot of these kids have instagram profiles their parents are running too.

besides Carissa, how many of those type of kids really made it anywhere in competition. probably doing the kid a disservice in the long run. not going learn how to manage a crowded lineup.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32